Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 11:25 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Feb 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Default Sims2Pack Clean Installer Research
This thread is for research involving the Sims2Pack Clean Installer. While mostly for my own benefit, and for the benefit of anyone else who wants to do development on the Clean Installer, feel free to post if you have something to add to the discussion.
Advertisement
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 11:30 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2011 at 5:09 AM.
Default Install family directly into the sim bin without the associated lot.
From: http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...ad.php?tid=868:

Quote: Originally posted by lindawing
If you have already moved the Sims into their new homes, be SURE to package them that way, saving them to a FILE! You can also save them to the Bin, so you'll have them that way in your own game, to place anywhere you like.

Now, using Clean Installer, open the family-with-house that you saved-to-file. When CI opens the file, UNCLICK EVERYTHING EXCEPT the Family, any CC clothing you want left with them, and the individual Sims IN the family.

In other words, do NOT click anything to do with the house! Also do NOT click any FRIENDS who might happen to be showing in CI...those are just memories, and those are the things that can mess up entire hoods, if too many of them are installed.

Then (still in CI) look down in the corner to the right, and choose SAVE, and save the file over again, to whatever place you choose (make sure remember where that is!).

Voila! You can then share that family with no house--just Sims! Whe it is installed, the Sims will go into the Sims Bin, rather than the Lots Bin.
Interesting technique, but I'd like to test to see exactly what happens.

Question: The Lot Bin is shared between all neighborhoods, but the Sim Bin is specific to one neighborhood and its subhoods. How does the game decide which neighborhood will have the new sims?

[Update:]

Well, I tried selecting just the family and sims from a packaged occupied lot, but I wasn't able to find the sims in the sim bin of any of my neighborhoods. So I tried saving to a new Sims2Pack, as suggested, and tried again. Still no luck... Also looked in occupied lots and CAS.

I do not believe that this technique works. This doesn't surprise me... the Lot Bin and the Sim Bin are very different features. Lots and sims in the Lot Bin are stored in the LotCatalog folder and are not associated with a neighborhood. Sims in the Sim Bin are actually a part of your neighborhood; they are playable characters grouped into families who live in lot #0.

Note: Tested with all EPs and SPs. Also tried with old V1.5.1.4 Clean Installer.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 11:45 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2011 at 2:47 AM.
Default Safely removing extra sims packaged with a lot
I just found a group of people who are recommending a particular use of the Clean Installer to clean extra sims off of a packaged lot which has not been properly cleaned (per Game_Help:Moving_Simswiki). They insist that it creates a cleaner safer neighborhood, so I'm doing research to determine whether this method works and, if not, where it fails.

From http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...ad.php?tid=780:
Quote: Originally posted by pattyheart
Every so often some one will express concern about downloading and using occupied homes. [...] Before installing a downloaded or saved to file lot the Clean Installer allows a player to remove any and all unwanted items - including any connections to other Sims.
From http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...ad.php?tid=868:
Quote: Originally posted by lindawing
Now, using Clean Installer, open the family-with-house that you saved-to-file. [...] Also do NOT click any FRIENDS who might happen to be showing in CI...those are just memories, and those are the things that can mess up entire hoods, if too many of them are installed.
[Emphasis in the above quotes is mine, not the author's.]

When you uncheck a sim, you are telling the Clean Installer not to install that sim into your neighborhood. However, I can verify that the Clean Installer does not remove connections to that sim; specifically, it does not remove memories, family ties, relationships, wants and fears, etc. The concern is that removing these sims will leave dangling connections (to invalid sims) which will eventually corrupt your neighborhood. LindaWing insists that all of these connections are safely removed by the game.