Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#26 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 12:18 PM
Simsikk96, Oddly i cannot find it. I have Deafult.ini folder. but no Default.local.ini :/
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 10:04 PM
Jordan09, what are your game versions for each EP and SP?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ind_Gameversion

Have you tried insalling the game and CAW to a different locarion, such as C:\ Games instead of C:\ Program Files?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 8:59 PM
I have now just tried that Simsample, and still no luck. CAW seems to hate me :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 9:52 PM
Jordan, try some of the older versions of CAW to see if any of those work. auntielynds recently posted some links:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...94&postcount=18
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#30 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 11:40 PM
Simsample, I have

Base - 1.24.3
WA - 8.0.86
Amb - 4.0.87
LN - 6.5.1
Gen - 8.0.152

Which version of CAW would you reccomend that I try running with?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#31 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 8:35 PM
Jordan, according to your patch leve, you should need the latest version:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Patch_Table

Are you actually getting any error messages? You could try this:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...t_released_Pack
If you don't have Town Life.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 8:17 PM
Good news is I got CAW working finally. simsample the tutorial is wrong Im in a business with a friend and we do computer repairs he says you dont need to muck about with LAA.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#33 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katy perry
he says you dont need to muck about with LAA.

Some people who have had memory errors have found it helpful to make the CAW executable LAA. Contrary to what your mate says, this is not modding your OS in any way, nor will it result in the end of the world or even worse- having to reinstall Windows. The worst thing that will happen is that it won't make any difference, but for many it has.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 9:31 PM Last edited by katy perry : 14th Aug 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Even I wouldn't go messing around in command prompt, and Ive been playing around with computers since Windows 3.1

1) Because of I've never (in 21 years) had a need to do so.

2) Command prompt is not for the lamen. If you've been there before and know what you're doing then fine but the majority of people on here probably don't even know what command prompt is.

One simple solution that's cleared up all of my game problems and is not mentioned in the tutorials is a registry cleaner. I installed Ashampoo yesterday, ran it and now the game works flawlessly. I was going to add it to my own troubleshooting tutorial on wiki which I see has been deleted now. I dont see anything about spyware or malware or viruses in the tutorials provided and they can cause problems too.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#35 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 10:30 PM
There are a lot of uses for the command prompt- just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's going to wreck your PC.

If you would read the article we have about making an executable large address aware, you'll see that we have links to several solutions- and that you only need to use the command prompt on 32 bit systems to switch the userva.

As the CAW exe is only able to use up to 2GB RAM, many have found this very useful- and for the game exes too, before they were patched to be LAA by EA. Modifying the executable is a specific solution to a specific error, if you aren't getting the error regarding illegal memory access then I wouldn't recommend it for you, anyway.

I have no idea what troubleshooting tutorial you are referring to, if it has been removed then it's likely that we have a similar tutorial already available- we have tutorials on improving game performance as well as cleaning up a PC. I would be wary to recommend registry cleaners, as a third party program has no business in the registry. Unless you can see specifically what they are cleaning and understand the implications of that, you should not use them. And if you don't know how to use a command prompt then likely you shouldn't allow a third party program edit your registry, anyway.

Jordan09, did you get yours working yet?
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I would be wary to recommend registry cleaners, as a third party program has no business in the registry. Unless you can see specifically what they are cleaning and understand the implications of that, you should not use them. And if you don't know how to use a command prompt then likely you shouldn't allow a third party program edit your registry, anyway.

To be honest I find that a laughable statement. I am talking about a registry cleaner that came recommended in Oct 2011 edition of 'PC Advisor' magazine, featuring 'PC health check' on the cover. Do you think a national magazine would honestly risk lawsuits over giving advice that busts peoples computers? In fact if you don't know command prompt, I would highly advise the use of automated tools that can take the stress out of this for you. You should never do DIY in your system, and if you've ever used a good registry cleaner, you'll know that all actions can be undone.

But this isn't the debate forum so I'm not saying any more on this topic.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#37 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katy perry
I am talking about a registry cleaner that came recommended in Oct 2011 edition of 'PC Advisor' magazine, featuring 'PC health check' on the cover.

'Nuff said!
Page 2 of 2