Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 3:23 PM
Default Subway system
Interesting observation that I don't think I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

I am working on a "new" Bridgeport.. never really liked the supplied one.. too compressed, to many booboos such as road signs on the wrong side of the road and streetlights sticking into locations for lots. A limited and congested street plan with a lot of area unused and way to much '60s look as opposed to more modern.

Anyway, I digress... I built a skyscraper on a plinth in the ocean, very modern a bit like the hotel idea in Dubai.. and gave it a subway station.

Added another subway station elsewhere.

If I click on the building from anywhere in the world, I get a no-route attitude with appropriate stamping of feet.. however, if I go to a subway station, and click on it and select the stop at the building, I travel there just fine.

If I put in a path to the lot, even if underwater, the sim will travel to the lot, using the subway.

It seems that there has to be a physical non-subway routing to the lot, even if there is subway access there.

Am currently rebuilding to add a road bridge to it, even though I would prefer it to be an isolated Island

Sorry if this is old news.

Regards

Moria
(Graham)
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:48 PM
Well, I never knew that- very interesting! Thanks for the information.

Instead of building a road you could always just make the lot 'no visitors allowed' and then direct your playable sim to use the subway to get to the lot. The only drawback would be that you will have no townies there, but non-playables won't use the subway anyway unless you mod it (so NPCs would use your road).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 6:32 PM
Yeah, caught me by surprise . No matter, rebuilt it with a road over a modern bridge as I have a very modern skyscraper with a VIP club under it and wanted access for townies as well as NPC's and actually, quite like the rebuild. Some good architects in this town, even if i do say so myself and have to do each lot 2 or 3 times till I am happy with it
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:36 PM
How stupid! Why won't townies use the subway? And why don't sims recognise the subway as a routing portal? No wonder Rod is jumping ship

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:38 PM
I got angry with subways too... Had started making a very nice island paradise, with many separate islands and had planned on discuising some subways on the islands... of course it didn't work grrr.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:55 PM
Armiel, I used a mod that allowed NPCs to use the subway and had no problem with them going from island to island. Its included with the world Coconut Cay or something like that. Sorry but I don't have the world anymore but I found it on MATY. The person who made it also offered the mod for download. It works pretty good. Toddlers can't go through the subway though but I don't mind that so much.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Armiel, I used a mod that allowed NPCs to use the subway and had no problem with them going from island to island. Its included with the world Coconut Cay or something like that. Sorry but I don't have the world anymore but I found it on MATY. The person who made it also offered the mod for download. It works pretty good. Toddlers can't go through the subway though but I don't mind that so much.

The World is Coconut Island by ProfPlumbob.
Last version (3.0) is in beta test on the official forum. I can't say anything for the mod because I haven't installed it yet, but I can warmly recommend this world, it's lovely. Release date is announced for the first quarter of 2011, so pretty soon :-)

Link to thread on official CAW forum
Link to thread on MATY Pudding Factory

BC
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 1:37 PM
Does the mod effect routing, cause the problem i had was the same as original poster. If I told the sims to go to a spot on another island (both had subways), they stomped feet which seemed like a routing issue. If I told them to use subways, they did. Which is not very nice way to play, I want them to use the subways automatically. The playable sims too, not only NPC's.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 4:52 PM
I played with Coconut Island and my sims and inactives (which were only NPCs at that time) used the subways without any problem. I didn't have to direct them. All I did was click where I wanted to go and they automatically used the subways. I had no stomping feet. It could be that something is blocking the route for your sims when they try to get to the subway. Do you have the lot set for visitors? Is there any non-routable painted below the subway station? I would imagine you checked these things but figured I would make suggestions anyway.

I should add..I did not have to direct the NPCs. They used the subways without my help.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 5:07 PM
The only un-routable was the water between islands. The lots on both islands were all available to use, none were set to no visitors. Hadn't used routing paint. I guess I have to find this mod if it exists on it's own for download, i don't want to dl a world for it. I guess it means that anyone else wanting to use the world will have to have the mod too though...
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 3:01 AM
It used to be available in the thread with her world...is it not there anymore?
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 8:11 AM
It's there. But. There is no info about it what so ever, and I don't download mods without having at least some info on what they do, what they conflict with etc.

Thank you anyways
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:54 PM
It is a very simple XML mod that only changes the game so subway's are usable by NPCs. It won't conflict with anything else unless it changes the subway XML and I don't know of any mods that do this at the moment. XML mods are very safe and you can simply take them out if they cause a problem...which is unlikely. I have all of Twallan's mods and a few others and have had no problems with this one at all. Professor Plumbob is pretty well regarded in the community.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 9:54 PM
anyone know where this mod is located? Do I have to download the Island to get the mod for npcs to use the subway
Field Researcher
#15 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 9:09 AM
I got the mod itself from the official CAW forums link in the thread earlier

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/310555.page to repeat the URL. I haven't had a chance to actually test the mod yet
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 11:20 AM
Hey everyone, I hope I don't get smacked for bumping an old topic, but I wanted to address and update the information on my subway mod and what I've experienced while building/testing Coconut Island.

My mod has been removed from my Snootysims page, but you can still access it here,
http://www.mediafire.com/?t9s039098moaukh

It hasn't been updated for the Generations patch. People have reported that it has crashed their game(but removing the mod stopped it from crashing, so it won't ruin your game/save), and others have said it still works fine even with the update. Let me know what you experience.

The other point I wanted to make was that you cannot use this mod for the purpose of creating islands that don't have access through ground routing. Lag will start immediately, to the point of unplayable. Even though NPC's can use the subways with the mod, they still have to have ground routing to get around. I have no idea how EA made that island surrounded by water in WA/France (where your sim can only get there by teleportation), but from my testing of islands + subway mod = lag magnet.

If anyone has had different results, I'd love to figure this out!

You can check out Coconut Island 3.0 here,
http://snootysims.com/forums/viewto...84d43795c15b3a5
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 7:43 AM
I'd love to have this mod, I see the post on this thread are really old, none of the links to the mod seem to work :P
Anyone?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 11:20 AM Last edited by lolalule : 27th Mar 2015 at 5:35 PM.
@tota
I also couldnt find a working download link and remade it. I have 1.67 and all Expansions installed (dont know if this is important, because I had to change the SimRoutingComponent )

I also did another tuning where I lower the distance which is needed for sims to take the subway. But I need to test this one.

Edit: whoops, sorry for ressurrection, but maybe its helpful for somesim
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  NPCsubway.7z (3.1 KB, 53 downloads) - View custom content

Im not a native speaker
Forum Resident
#19 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 12:35 AM
Wonderful! Thank you lolalule for remaking this mod. You should put this in the downloads section. I'm sure there are more than a few people who would like it.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 12:25 PM Last edited by lolalule : 27th Mar 2015 at 5:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
Wonderful! Thank you lolalule for remaking this mod. You should put this in the downloads section. I'm sure there are more than a few people who would like it.

Its in the moderation queue

Im not a native speaker