Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#426 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The sun/moon position is determined by the aforementioned S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini, which states:

(From the Bridgeport ini file, attached here)
I haven't tried setting that to a negative number, perhaps you could test!

I definitely will, when I get back.

I actually put the sun position at 90 degrees (even though it says not to), and the sun was completely still! >w<
(I could probably work with that. I can see that working for a nordic-themed area)
And I will probably even test negative numbers (which might crash the file, buuuut, you know what they say about cracking eggs and omlettes! XD)
Another thing I am considering (and it might sound crazy). I'll probably look to see if there is a file that will determine the position of the sun/moon itself in the .World file itself.
Even if the Sun and moon is "fixed", logically speaking, it has to be programed to move the way it does somewhere, and I am not worried about losing that test world.

UPDATE: I tested with a negative number, and it does the same thing as a regular offset, but, it seems to be in the opposite direction, I can make it work, but I also want to see what happens if I go above 90 >w>

UPDATE 2: I put the position to 180, and it does something to the sun, but I cannot explain it, but when I have the time of day at 23, the sun is directly above the map, but with most of the other time of days, I cannot even find it. It doesn't move the orientation, but it moves the sun in a way I don't know how to explain.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#427 Old 28th Jun 2023 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by landon
I definitely will, when I get back.

I actually put the sun position at 90 degrees (even though it says not to), and the sun was completely still! >w<
(I could probably work with that. I can see that working for a nordic-themed area)
And I will probably even test negative numbers (which might crash the file, buuuut, you know what they say about cracking eggs and omlettes! XD)
Another thing I am considering (and it might sound crazy). I'll probably look to see if there is a file that will determine the position of the sun/moon itself in the .World file itself.
Even if the Sun and moon is "fixed", logically speaking, it has to be programed to move the way it does somewhere, and I am not worried about losing that test world.

UPDATE: I tested with a negative number, and it does the same thing as a regular offset, but, it seems to be in the opposite direction, I can make it work, but I also want to see what happens if I go above 90 >w>

UPDATE 2: I put the position to 180, and it does something to the sun, but I cannot explain it, but when I have the time of day at 23, the sun is directly above the map, but with most of the other time of days, I cannot even find it. It doesn't move the orientation, but it moves the sun in a way I don't know how to explain.

So, I see the world files dont really have INI, so that wouldn't do me any good to look there.
I am confident orientation can be done. But I don't have the know-how to look up the files directly and make a file to work with. But from looking at videos around the nordic areas, and alaska, it appears for "Authenticity" to have the sun's offset perhaps around 80 ish. By doing this, the sun with rise and set futher away, while not exactly what appears to be what goes on in alaska and such, it seems to be the closest to what I am looking for.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#428 Old 28th Jun 2023 at 10:56 PM
So, I see the world files dont really have INI, so that wouldn't do me any good to look there.
I am confident orientation can be done. But I don't have the know-how to look up the files directly and make a file to work with. But from looking at videos around the nordic areas, and alaska, it appears for "Authenticity" to have the sun's offset perhaps around 80 ish. By doing this, the sun with rise and set futher away, while not exactly what appears to be what goes on in alaska and such, it seems to be the closest to what I am looking for.

Which world are you editing- is it one of your own? If so, make custom ini and colour ramp files for your world and import them- see Post #3 in this thread:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....971#post3679971
Lab Assistant
#429 Old 2nd Jul 2023 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Which world are you editing- is it one of your own? If so, make custom ini and colour ramp files for your world and import them- see Post #3 in this thread:

Oh, do forgive me, my mind was going out there, sorry about that.
I was talking about hacking a .World file and looking for the settings that would alter the direction of the sun itself to be more horizontal in rotation (which is not currently available from what it appears). As for how to hack the file, I have no clue on how to do that.

I decided for my world I will put the sun's offset at 85 degrees (which will only make the sun move slightly), I am editing a test world using ini files from other worlds to experiment.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#430 Old 16th Jul 2023 at 9:38 PM
I was talking about hacking a .World file and looking for the settings that would alter the direction of the sun itself to be more horizontal in rotation (which is not currently available from what it appears). As for how to hack the file, I have no clue on how to do that.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away from the keyboard for a couple of weeks! I hope you have this sorted, if not then this is what you do to open the pre-packaged world file:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=469942

Once you open up your world file, you need to look for the resources inside the file, as in post #3 of this thread:

If they are not there then this indicates that the world does not have custom lighting, so you can add your own resources by importing them directly to the world file.

I hope this helps and that I understood you correctly!
Page 18 of 18