Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 8:43 PM
Personally, I'm patient with the downloads... There's a lot of other sites that's 10x slower than this one. :D

<('_'<) <('_')> (>'_')>
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:01 PM
Default ummm making a donation
ok so this might sound kinda dumb but how do you change the amount you want to donate?
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:14 PM
No Complaints---plus an apology, & a (cringe) request?
Konichiwa, Delphy-sama!

I had already figured the sudden metastasis of the 503 problem was due to something similar to the above. And if the users want the site to remain free (and MTS2 has been dedicated to that ethic, since before the first life-form crawled out of the oceans onto the land---and found a Microsoft Billboard already placed there, waiting... ), this precise type of occurrence is one that is no one's fault---it is endemic to all freesites: for the Sims---or anything else. If one does not freewill donate/contribute to help out, then one has no right to complain about the result. (very similar to voting---people who can't be bothered to vote, should not object to the government they have stuck themselves with, hmmm? People tend to get the government they deserve...)

Getting off my soapbox for a second, I have never (and most probably will never, even by the time MTS2 has morphed into MTS37) been able to donate a farthing towards the continued existence, free-ness, or functioning of our site, despite the fact I have been a registered (and very present) member since AD2004. My 'job' (we call it a 'vocation') is being a cloistered, Roman Catholic Religious sister (read: "nun"). We take (well, my Order anyway) some heavy-duty perpetual vows when we take the veil and enter the seal of the cloister for the rest of our natural lives; one of these is a vow of perpetual poverty---here in (cue God Save The Queen !) The Royal Dominion of Canada (also known to those south of the 49th Parallel as "The Great White North"), at least, such a vow has a legal existence and recognition, the most obvious one being that all persons of age to be employable or to have been employable, must file National and Provincial income tax statements annually; whether they had an income or not, the form must filed stating so... but Religious, male or female, cloistered or 'in the world', if they have made such an unbreakable vow of poverty, in the proper way, no longer have to file, the papers aren't even mailed by Revenue Canada---yet, we are still permitted to have the Vote!!!

(ahem)

I'm afraid that is the reason I cannot ever donate a penny to the site. However...

If MTS2 would like, I can offer a substitute: the prayers of myself and my Sisters?

(I've already checked with the Superior on whether I could offer this or not... )

If the site wishes, say, a novena offered for its intentions, or to honour the Patron Saint of the site (I know this site is based in Ireland, we might have one!), or for the basic beliefs of the site (like all sites being freesites, that sort of thing...)---it most probably would not be too difficult to arrange. My family has been sending me "The Sims/The Sims 2", its expansions, and the Prima manuals for each one since 1999. No cost. I brought in our Carmel's first computer as part of my dowry, and it (or rather its successors) runs on a donated high-speed permanent cable hook-up (100m/kps). I am its custodian, and its user for the work of the Carmel and our Order that require its use---I also do the repairs, and the orders for and installation of upgrades and such, hardware/software, &c.
It's not that I am a Great computer-whiz---I'm just sort of the only one who sits down to use it who doesn't have a pre-conception of it being just an elaborate manual typewriter...
I get to use the Sims, because my Life's Work prior to my conversion, was Anthropology---and the Sims is the perfect experimental simulation of human society.

(I am permitted a certain amount of laxity in recreation (and manner of speech, walking too quickly, ad infinitum), since I'm not a "cradle Catholic".)

Anyway, that is all, pretty much, that I can offer as a 'donation'. I apologize for any absurdity about it, but it is quite in earnest---unless the concept of an entire convent full of nuns---praying for MTS2, is absolutely terrifying....

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
---(snip)---
A lot of you have noticed that the QX links are gone from MTS2. The reason for this is that, in the process of trying to track down bottlenecks on the main download servers, I needed to limit the outgoing bandwidth to only those 2 servers to see what the load on the switch is. Because QXpress is used by a number of people, I had to remove the links from MTS2 in order to get a clean overview of bandwidth.
---(snip)---

I'm cannot give whoops of joy about QX 1.19 coming back on line---if it has any trouble downloading whatso---say, by an other-than-perfect connection to MTS2 (IE., running into a 503), while it does not actually 'crash', it does just sit there and will not attempt to re-connect until restarted. Re-starting erases every single remaining download in its queue. One is better off scribbling on tiny pieces of paper...

This is ginormous---I would have PM'd it, but whenever you're here, doing something important to/on the site, you also warn us that you are not here, and won't be for some while, so PM's can't be received...

Maetel of La Metalle
(email from an abandoned planet)
~~Power corrupts. Absolute Power is---kind of neat.

Quote:
I remember when 'Saturns' were space-rockets, not cars...
Test Subject
#54 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:29 PM
Ah, if I had a penny to spare to my name, I know where it would go. As it is, I'm a poor unemployed college student mooching off my parents to eat ramen every meal.
Good luck getting the money.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:31 PM
Hi All,
*lots of technical stuff*

Did not understand

Donation drive

Understood!

Could only donate $5, but I hope to be able to spare the same amount after I've paid the bills and made sure we can feed the cat for another month! :D

My 100% free site Carnaby Sims
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#56 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:47 PM
Quote:
I'm cannot give whoops of joy about QX 1.19 coming back on line---if it has any trouble downloading whatso---say, by an other-than-perfect connection to MTS2 (IE., running into a 503), while it does not actually 'crash', it does just sit there and will not attempt to re-connect until restarted. Re-starting erases every single remaining download in its queue. One is better off scribbling on tiny pieces of paper...

Well, yes, Q-Xpress is a buggy little program, and when it works it works great but unfortunately it doesn't do that all the time...

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#57 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:51 PM
I shot you a PM, Delphy. I'll be donating shortly--saying my card is accepted.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:57 PM
I don't mind the donation drive but I sadly don't have a penny to my name to help out
I haven't been able to download anything in a while and I hope the server will allow me to actually download things
Test Subject
#59 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 10:06 PM
Aargh. That's frustrating.
I'm in a bit of a money crunch right now, and while I'd love to donate, sadly, I can't until I can figure out how much (if any) money will be left over after some computer upgrades.

Forty-Two! "Q"! Cheese!

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't copy & paste this in your siggy.

Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that survived, died, or is living with cancer.
(())
//\\
Test Subject
#60 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 10:10 PM
+$11.09 to you guys--all I could spare, sorry if it's not a lot.
Test Subject
#61 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 10:23 PM
Okay, I have a wee small concern.
It took 15 minutes for the screen to refresh and finally give me a slot. That's 30 refreshes.
Now what if, during that time, I had wandered off to take a shower and do my nails, make a sandwich and call Mom, and an hour later came back to find my download was waiting. Would I have dominated a slot for that entire time, not giving anybody else a chance at it?
It seems to me that in the 'old days' (last week) it only took a few refreshes (5 or so). Maybe I'm misperceiving (wouldn't be the first time) but I still feel suspicious.
BTW, I donated.
Best, John
Field Researcher
#62 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 10:34 PM
Sounds like a good solution you have now, part of the connection is overhead and if you just got a few kb the overhead and server load of all the connection that are waiting are not optimal.
I had few problems with downloads from modthesims2, a little buggy and slow but no real problem, have run into many worse commercial sties, but the problem might be larger in US time zones.
But the new system has a technical problem; I’m used to clicking the link and switch to another tab waiting for the file download message to pop up. Now you got a wait message, then the download are ready you got a security warning on the top of the page, then I click it I cant download, it has timed out or don’t work it’s impossible for me to tell.
I’m using IE7. I also set www and freya.modthesims2.com as a trusted site in hope of avoiding the security warnings.
Are there some settings in IE who might solve this problems? Would it be a problem in opera?
Field Researcher
#63 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 10:41 PM
Thanks Delphy for the explanation of the situation, and for all your continued hard work on this site.

I also want to say a big THANK YOU to ALL the creators that have uploaded their creations to this wonderful site. I have been a huge fan & downloader for quite some time & I just love this site! I now make sure to click that little "thank you" icon each & every time I download anything from MTS2, even if I have nothing particular to say in the comments section.

I have just made a donation, even if only a small one....every cent counts towards the goal! I wish you much luck in reaching that goal, because I will be one of the thousands of people that will reap the rewards from all your efforts & work.

Thank you again, to the entire MTS2 staff, and to each & every creator that has ever contributed their work (for FREE), for the rest of us to use in our games & enjoy!
Field Researcher
#64 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:11 PM
Default MTS2 Rocks
Well Done Delphy, Thanks for the explanation. I know I am on this site everyday and love seeing the new downloads and seeing what is in the Creators Forum. I have made a small donation, sorry it couldnt be bigger.
I havent noticed the slow downloads as I havent had a properly working computer but I am re doing my new computer. 1st site that went into my favourites was MTS2. I am looking forward to uploading and downloading again. Keep up the good work.
Test Subject
#65 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:31 PM Last edited by poppydog : 27th Jul 2007 at 12:06 AM.
:o
Call me pathetic but im not gunna donate since i have to save up for sims 2 bon voyage when it comes out but i REALLY NEED THE 503s 2 DISAPPEAR! cuz
i was gunna make ma 1st custom career, guess now i cant...
Test Subject
#66 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:35 PM
I can't imagine NOT sending a donation, I come here all the time to download! This is a wonderful site and can't imagine it not running the way it should be. I'm sure you'll be at your target goal in no time.
Test Subject
#67 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by garnetwolf2002
I can't imagine NOT sending a donation, I come here all the time to download! This is a wonderful site and can't imagine it not running the way it should be. I'm sure you'll be at your target goal in no time.

I hope so....
Test Subject
#68 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:57 PM
Okay, I feel like a total n00b for asking, but it is so I can hopefully donate.
On the donation page, it says that by buying something from the Amazon store will help donate.
Can someone explain how much goes to the site (whether a portion of the money or all)?
Would buying something from there most definitely help with the donation drive?
And thank you Delphy for clearing everything up about the countless questions asked.
Hope this all goes well.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 12:00 AM
I so wish I could donate. Not that anyone needs to hear that.
But what came as a shock was hearing that MTS2 would shut down when TS3 is released. I know that's a long while from now, but I really don't understand why one of the greatest websites in the community would shut down just because another game is coming out. I guess most people will have lost interest?
:sniff: I'm gonna miss it when it goes.

Stability :: Sanity :: Reality
These are subjective and nonessential.
Test Subject
#70 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 12:05 AM
ARGH I keep losing my slot because I only just NOW got the smart idea to turn off my pop-up blocker!!! ARGH!!!

OMG I just want ONE file!!!

Lol. Paypal will not let me donate because I have not verified my account. But I have no secondary account with which to verify.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 12:34 AM Last edited by gazania : 27th Jul 2007 at 1:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ryukofaeris_of_the_dracs
I so wish I could donate. Not that anyone needs to hear that.
But what came as a shock was hearing that MTS2 would shut down when TS3 is released. I know that's a long while from now, but I really don't understand why one of the greatest websites in the community would shut down just because another game is coming out. I guess most people will have lost interest?
:sniff: I'm gonna miss it when it goes.

Was this a done deal? I know that Delphy referred to this site closing, but when and how is still unknown. All good things come to an end one day. I think eventually, interest in the Sims 2 will fade, just like Sims 1 did. And if Delphy is paying for a year of service, and we get the server, then this could be at least a year off, anyway. A lot can happen in a year. MTS2 and 3 could be merged into one site, for instance, like several sites have merged Sims 1 and Sims 2. MTS2 may eventually be slowly phased out or archived in favor of MTS3. Or Delphy could transfer full or partial ownership to another person and act as advisor and/or co-owner. The new owner might focus more on MTS3.

Or Delphy could decide to be a lumberjack, leaping from tree to tree. Psychic ability is NOT my forte.

I think we should focus a bit more on the here and now, and strive to make this a community that is WORTH keeping. It's probably about all we can do.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 12:54 AM
I will be donating I wish I could subscribe but I don't have a bank account I have to donate through my son's pay pal account.

I've been a member for nearly a year now and through this site I've just started to learn to create stuff for my game without it I would never have been able to. We all have to start somewhere not all of us have had the options. We did'nt have IT when I was at school ( now I'm giving away my age )

I think all of the creations on this site are great. And I don't mind if the downloads are slow.

Anyway thanks Delphy and all of you at MTS2.

angieb
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 12:56 AM
Yay I finally was able to donate this year! It may not be much but I feel a tad useful now.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#74 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 1:11 AM
Being a lumberjack sounds pretty good actually.... I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I sleep all night and I work all day... Might get less grey hairs than trying to beat servers into submission....

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#75 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 1:17 AM
Wow, so sad to see the site going through so much. But, it is a soldier, it will make it! With so many dedicated users giving what they can, it is no doubt that you will have enough money in no time.
So, as soon as I get to pay the rent (can't donate until I ensure that I have a home to play the game in!) tomorrow, will definitely be donating! Thank you to all the creators (especiiially the suppliers of build mode/furniture), you all make this site worth while. Keep up the good work!

Last note: Pleaassee don't close it down after TS3 comes out!!! I thought it was due in 2009 or something? But still, I love this site!!!
Locked thread
Page 3 of 13