Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Enhanced Gameplay Cameras

by Tom Duhamel Posted 26th Dec 2008 at 5:52 PM - Updated 30th Aug 2011 at 2:58 AM by Tom Duhamel : Added the Known Issue statement

133 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 94 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 6
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 7:38 PM
Now I have Gunmod's camera hack and I always wanted a live camera hack that zoomed further out like yours does. The reason I like Gunmod's though, was because there was no fade on stairs, sims or trees etc. Does you hack have this or should I stick with the one I have? If you don't have that option is that something you would be willing to implement? Either way, good job!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 8:47 PM
Has this mod been tested with M&G? Gunmod's camera hack no longer works with M&G, so I have been looking for something to replace it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:36 PM
TashaFaun:

I didn't change the default fading feature on the Live camera. The reason is that the Live camera is for playing, and as such I do prefer that objects (including staircases and ceiling lamps) do fade away as there is action beneath. For pictures, I do use the Free camera (the one you get when you hit Tab), and in this mode there is no fading by default (I've seen comments on other camera hacks that claim they have removed the fading from the Free camera, but there was never any fading on that camera).

However, if after considering my comments, you feel you still like a fading-free Live camera, I can certainly make an alternate version.

Chinchillagrl6:

Unfortunately I don't have M&G (Mansions and Gardens) yet, nor AL (Apartment Life). As such I couldn't test on those.

I have read comments for the GunMod's mod, and also on different places around the web. For AL, for the best information I could get, I do believe that the changes they've made to cameras (which seem to only be for the purpose of adding a ceiling) only apply to a new, different file which I do not affect, and as such I think I have not made a conflict with it. However I was unable to find why GunMod's mod has a problem with M&G, and as such I cannot tell if my mod has a problem with it or not. My mod only replaces the files I had to change, not the entire set of files, and as such I hope I avoided any problem caused by M&G changes.

I would invite people using one of those two packs (or both) to try and tell me what went wrong. In this case, please tell me what camera has a problem, and if possible send me the corresponding default file so that I can inspect and see the differences for myself.

Please understand that these camera settings cannot possibly harm your game. At best, there will be a feature missing, and at worst the game won't load. In any case, if you have problems, just put the default files back (overwrite mines with the default ones, which you should back up first as my instructions suggest) and start the game again.

And so that you are not tempted to sue me (I'm just an Inventory Clerk you know) I do encourage you to backup your neighborhoods, just like for any other mod, when testing.
Instructor
#5 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:38 PM
I've also never been satisfied with any of the other camera hacks out there (for the reasons you've listed), so I'm going to give this a try. Looks great, though!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:41 PM
great work ... thanks
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:42 PM
I'll try this out and let you know if it works with AL and M&G installed when I get home.

Thanks!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 11:19 PM
Oh, I like this! I'm going to give it a try! Thanks a lot!!

Want to see all my Sims 2 creations, including my Star Trek items? Follow the link below to check out my Blog!

Puppetfish.Blogspot.com

Looking for Franny Sims Meshes? They can be found HERE!
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 11:54 PM
Just tried it out in my game. I think this mod is about to become my new best friend. Thank you!
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 12:23 AM
This is OUTSANDING work. A huge thank you and kudos from me C:
Field Researcher
#11 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tom420
However, if after considering my comments, you feel you still like a fading-free Live camera, I can certainly make an alternate version.

I'm not a big fan of the tab function and rarely ever use it. The big reason I downloaded Gunmod's camera hack was because he took away fading in live mode (for picture takers and movie makers). I always wanted one that would get closer though so if you are willing to do an alternate version with no fading at all I would be forever grateful. If not, no worries! Thank you for your hard work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 6:21 AM Last edited by Tom420 : 5th Jan 2009 at 6:37 AM.
Default No Fade (Live Camera)
Attached is a version of the Live camera with fade disabled. That is, you won't see through staircases and other objects which normally fade out as you zoom in.

There is absolutely no changes other than that in this version.

If no problems are encountered (not that I expect any), it will be part of the normal distribution for future updates.

See, I'm listening

Edit:
IMPORTANT NOTE: A No Fade add-on is now available as part of the normal distribution in the download section above, starting with version 1.1. The file below should not be used anymore.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  LiveCameraNoFade_For_EGC10.rar (967 Bytes, 145 downloads)
Description: Live Camera - No Fade (EGC 1.0)
Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 7:03 AM
Oh wow! I didn't expect it so quickly. Thank you, works beautifully!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 7:41 AM
Everything works perfectly with AL and M&G.

Thank you so much.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 12:56 PM
I've applied it to my game (I still don't have AL or M&G) and it works fantastic!
I played for about 3 hours with no problems
Thank you so much!
Regards.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 1:28 PM
Confirming that it works with M&G and AL, but it makes Tab mode/Cameraman mode painfully slow. I prefer to use it to line up my shots, but moving around to get it just so takes forever. I can see the good part to that, but it was a surprise when I tried to use it to take a "virtual tour" of a lot.
I can't confirm the widescreen compatibility right now (I play in a standard window), but I could test it for you if you still need it.

I basically just like to play uglacies.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 6:36 PM
Thank you for sharing. I hate the inflexibility of the maxis cameras, but I hate being yanked across the lot (or off of the 'hood!) when I slightly move my mouse. I really appreciate the small changes you have made- they are wonderfully expressive of my own vague ideas on how cameras should behave!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Tom420 : 5th Jan 2009 at 6:32 AM.
Free Camera 1.1 Beta
Thanks to your comments (both in this thread and in private messages) I know the time spent on tweaking those numbers wasn't wasted. I'm listening and currently working the values again for a (hopefully) even better update.

Swampcandy: Thanks a lot for confirming that things work fine with the latter EP and SP. While I tried to make this mod compatible for all past and future releases of the game, I had very little information regarding those two late releases and were anxious to hear about this.

Yes, there is a problem with the Free Camera (the one when hitting Tab). Actually, it's the only one I was never satisfied of. But the ModFather himself came to the rescue and suggested a value which, I believe, gives quite a good result. Seems an acceptable trade off between accuracy and speed. Credit goes to him for his help. I have attached the file. I'm eagerly waiting for your comments, positive or negative (private messages welcomed). If you feel this one is fine, it will make it's way into the next update.

Edit:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This file is now included in version 1.1 available from the main dowload section above and is not needed anymore.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  FreeCamera_11Beta.rar (1.3 KB, 112 downloads)
Description: Free Camera 1.1 Beta
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 11:07 PM
This sounds unbelievably useful and awesome and all sorts of lovely words!!! Definately deserving of a picked download!! :D
Field Researcher
#20 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 12:33 AM
Awesome! Always hated the CAS camera, and rarely used the 'tab' function. Thank you!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 1:10 AM Last edited by maxon : 28th Dec 2008 at 1:13 AM. Reason: adding a bit
Quote: Originally posted by Chinchillagrl6
Has this mod been tested with M&G? Gunmod's camera hack no longer works with M&G, so I have been looking for something to replace it.

It most certainly does still work with M&G - you need to remember that when you install a new EP, the EP overwrites the camera mod/cameras folder so you need to reinstall it.

I like the sound of what you've done in CAS - though I do like Gunmod's mod. I think I might try mixing & matching. Thanks for your work.
Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 2:33 PM
The only camera mod that actually convinces me!
And a proper CAS camera mod!
Thanks alot :D
#23 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 7:38 PM
looks nice! Though... i'm gonna stick with my camera... but your's is great too!

Everything I do, All Glory will GO TO GOD! All the praises Goes to the Lord on High!
I don't want to gain the whole world and loose my Soul!
MOAVGproductions Youtube channel, subscribe to it!
MOAVGproductions blog/site
Official Facebook page, like it!
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 8:58 PM
Thank you for creating this camera mod, I've been using it for about 2 days. I love it especially in CAS mode.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 1:16 AM
I've been using this for a while, with the Free Camera 1.1 Beta and I really like it. UNtil now I'd not found a live mode camera mod that I like better than the Maxis one- but this is great as I can take ground level pictures and birds eye views. Thankyou!
Page 1 of 6