Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for February - posted on 1st Mar 2017 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 32 (Who?), Viewed: 1597 times.
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 8:23 AM
Default Keeping captive sims alive with snapdragon bouquets
So I had decided that my sim was going to keep other sims prisoner. As many as possible, for as long as possible. No reason. I didn't want to use a prison mod or anything similar, or cheats. I wanted to do it using the base game plus expansions and that's all, if possible. I own the base game and all expansions. Also I didn't want to have to ask them to move in first to become household members. I just wanted to be able to grab people off of the street.

I had set up a floor of my sim's house as a captive area. It had bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, nice environments, etc. basically everything that any sim needs to live.

I would make friends with a sim, then invite them over and take them upstairs, then remove the door trapping them within my prison floor.

But guest or captive sims simply WILL NOT use a bed, or a shower, or cook. Rarely, they will use a toilet, speak to each other, or sit/relax somewhere, or sit in a hot tub. They still seem to like hot tubs.

I tried to solve the problem of eating by putting in a food vending machine, and that helped. They would sometimes eat, but they would eventually become overwhelmed by their other needs and ignore it and finally die from hunger.

I needed something that would do things for my pathetic captives automatically. I remembered from another game that the 'Snapdragon Bouquet' fulfills all needs except energy. So I bought a flower arranging station and got myself up to a gold badge and placed the bouquets all over my prison floor. Spacing them about 4-6 tiles apart.

Since then none of my captive sims have died, other than of old age. And all the other things: toilets, tv's, beds, etc. are unnecessary. You can pretty much lock a sim in a small room with one of the snapdragons, and they will stay alive until they die of old age, I think. They will frequently pass out from lack of energy, but the snapdragon willl constantly replenish their other needs even while passed out. It will help if you do have a couch or chair and keep the prisoners all in one larger room so they can occasionally talk to each other, with a hot tub and bathroom and food vending machine, but they probably aren't needed, though they do end up using them more often than they would without the bouquets. I think a snapdragon is enough. I haven't done enough testing to find out for sure though.

And if you set up a home business with the 'Electrono-Ticket Machine', and an open/closed sign, then you can wait until they accept and start paying, and then lock them into the prison and charge them for being there.

And for a home business you don't have to have anything special, remember. Sims are stupid and will come onto your lot no matter what is there, pretty much, and start paying you just to be there. But if you don't want them rampaging around your house, remember to lock your doors.

Anyway, I have only one question. Is there any way to give a sim energy passively, as the 'Snapdragon Bouquet' does with the other needs? Like standing next to some object replenishes energy? I know of nothing. And as I said I don't want to use any cheats. The captives won't use a coffee machine or anything similar so that is no good.
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 8:43 AM
The career rewards for the Adventurer and Journalist careers are supposed to give motive boosts to sims near them, but I'm not sure if that's to all motives or not.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 12:56 PM
Sims you have over are guests. They won't use your shower, fridge or beds. Unless, you Propose/...Stay the night. This is why I was happy with the new Influence to...option.
We have seen some exceptions, where totally rude sims would do all that..but this is not a constant. You probably have couches and they won't nap either when really tired? That I am not sure, but it might fall into guests not acting like *home*
Purely informative here, I am not solving your problem.
I am also looking into an object that would give a need, though for me it is the social need, I 'd like. Only that one.
If I can figure out how, then I might be able to make one that gives energy instead. I'm not there yet! lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 1:13 PM
Writing in a diary helps for social need - I have not realised how much until I used an empty hood for the first time.

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 1:19 PM
Yes it does! I always forget about it.
But what I am trying to create would be for pets only. lol So not affecting sims.
This is just a matter of checking/unchecking species though, so if ever I get it to work, I would know how to add a need to an object..for who ever I please.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 4:36 PM
Corresponding witch throne of the respective witch allightments If they happen to be one... Thought, I don't know If they autonomously would sit on them.
#7 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 8:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Corresponding witch throne of the respective witch allightments If they happen to be one... Thought, I don't know If they autonomously would sit on them.

I seem to recall one of Pescado's hacks having a changelog along the lines of "witches will no longer suicide by sitting on the wrong throne," so I'd imagine so. I don't remember if I've ever seen it (autonomously sitting on the throne, not killing themselves) in-game though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Caption the picture above you.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 12:01 AM
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 12:28 AM
I like Snapdragon Bouquets. There was one time when I got a playable Sim to hire a Townie employee who had a gold badge in Flower Making. He made a couple of Snapdragons, and they really boosted everyone's needs, so the community lot business was very easy to run. Eventually, the flower shop became Rank 10, and the loyal customers would buy anything, even stuff sold at ridiculously expensive prices! They also bought the Snapdragon Bouquets! One customer who bought out the Snapdragon Bouquet was Antonio Monty of Veronaville. He converted the video game room of Monty Ranch into a private chapel for meditation and placed a Snapdragon in the room. The point was, anyone who meditated in the room would get a boost in needs.

Yours truly,

PlatinumPlumbbob
113 Wright Way
Pleasantview, Sim City, 01234
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 2:14 AM
I have an ex llama now playable who keeps walking into my school and watching the screen in one of the downstairs classrooms, it's really creepy, this is a primary/elementary school. So sims like that or with heaps of outgoing, or sims who are good friends will use the bath or sleep, but not other normal sims you grab off the street.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#11 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 7:56 AM
I did this once a few years ago when one of my lonely Elder sim would kidnap various children in his neighborhood. He'd trap them in the basement and tried to make them paint by setting up easels at the end of their beds. He'd sell the paintings since he can't work and can't support himself.

Usually he'd let them go if they've made him enough money, but usually they refuse to work, refuse to eat, and refuse to do anything except scream loudly. Eventually some die and some were released. Captive children are very difficult to control.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 11:30 AM
I'd just add them to the household. You don't have to control them and they'll use facilities on their own.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 11:52 AM
There is an alternative to the snapdragon bouquets, the "golden skull" which comes as a career reward for Adventurer sims. Don't know If it boots energy motive, but just putting out here so that if anobody knows more could clarify it for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 10:30 PM
The 'Golden Skull' and the 'Gootentaugen Award for Excellence in Journalism' (the reward for the journalism career) both boost motives, but they have to be viewed for them to work, and the captives never view anything unfortunately.

I had thought of the witch thrones, and didn't actually try that yet, but I'm 99% sure they wouldn't sit in them anyway, since I think only a witch can use them. Maybe a captive witch would.

As far as an object that gives only social, I think the '"Starstruck" Personal Fame Stars' do that, but IDK if they work for pets or not.

And I don't want to add the captives to my household, for several reasons. I'd only be able to have a limited number, and the ones I do have I would either have to control, or turn on 'free will', and I don't like 'free will' for my own sim, it's very annoying.

Also, influencing them to do something won't work, because once they give the message 'you asked me to spend the night...' then they become unselectable.
Needs Coffee
#15 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 10:56 PM
Actually you can add them to household then simply make them unselctable. Larger household mods allows you to have as many as your computer can handle. Then there is also the free will on/off mod. Everything in this game, just about has a mod. So when you say it can't, it very probably can.

If you never have free will on you are missing half the game. There are many things you will never see.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#16 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 1:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
(...) If you never have free will on you are missing half the game. There are many things you will never see.

Could you give examples? That sounds interesting Considering all the time since 2004, I’ve spent most of my play time with it turned off. At some point (I don’t remember when now) I decided to keep it on, but my sims don’t get much freedom anyway, so I probably haven’t seen many things it could cause. I pause often to queue actions before they get to do something on their own, and if they do manage to start, most of the time I think “no, stop it right now” and cancel their current action, and then queue what I want. Sometimes I do let them continue, but that is very rare. It’s also annoying that I can’t queue anything if I do let them do their thing, because then they immediately stop and continue with the queue.

As for the witch thrones, for all I’ve seen sims can sit on them autonomously, but it only affects witches.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Needs Coffee
#17 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 1:11 AM
Well part of having free will on is the sims will show you their personality. What will they choose to do or act or say? Yes sometimes that is nothing more than to relax on the bed in which case I tell them to move. I like seeing couples go cuddle or kids dancing on feet. This is partly wht I use double ageing so my sims have time to 'waste' if you like. I play slowly, I like to see what they do.

Then there are actions which you can't direct at all. Stealing back a gnome, swinging on the fridge, sliding down a banister (I think that is autonomous only) cleaning a window with a sponge, reading a child to sleep (again I think that one is autonomous only) A teen in aspiration failure will go stomp on the flowers or destroy a painting in progress. I know there are others and I may be wrong on some, but there are quite a few autonomous only actions. I'm sure someone else could add to this list.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 8:57 AM
I think you can read a child to sleep? I'll have to check. Another autonomous action that I love: tucking a child in. Oh, and consoling another sim.

They get to surprise you, with free will on. I learned that Patrizio Monty occasionally juggles with espresso cups; noticed how often Sims start hangouts autonomously (sometimes even in places that aren't awkward); that some are really good at looking after themselves, while others need a helping hand; that sims can pine for an old love even though they're not, technically, in love; that sims with very similar points will behave differently, depending on their history, likes and dislikes, personal drive... basically, their personality (beyond the personality points).

And that some sims are frankly much happier when I stay far, far away from the controls.

I may finally have to bite the bullet and mod the "autonomous dancing on feet" out, though. I downloaded BO's mod, but hadn't installed it yet. It was fine until now, but I have one child and her teen sister who dance together all the time. It's really starting to get on my nerves. It wouldn't be so bad if the kid's laugh while they do that weren't so grating!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 9:27 AM
Try this hack instead. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

No Dancing In Silence

It stops dance on toes unless there is music playing in the room.
Needs Coffee
#20 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 9:36 AM
That might actually be a really good mod. I don't mind dancing on feet for the most part but there are always a few kids who do it to the extreme of me having to direct them away to something else.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaxe
And I don't want to add the captives to my household, for several reasons. I'd only be able to have a limited number, and the ones I do have I would either have to control, or turn on 'free will', and I don't like 'free will' for my own sim, it's very annoying.

Oh..so you are trying this with free will off?
No wonder no one does anything...they're waiting for your command.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 5:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebine
Oh..so you are trying this with free will off?
No wonder no one does anything...they're waiting for your command.

No. Free will only works for your household. Guests always do whatever they want unless you personally interact with them.

And just a reminder, I didn't want to use mods to keep the captives alive, that can be done very easily in several different ways. I wanted to do it without any cheats.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 6:22 PM
The Eclectic and Enigmatic Energizer Machine is a great way to boost needs. Back when I had the base game, I constantly used the Energizer to boost up my Sims' needs. I maintained high aspirations for my Sims, so every time my Sim used the Energizer, it worked. Though, when I wanted to make a movie and wanted the Sims to have fulfilled needs and high mood, I would SHIFT+CLICK on the mailbox to make them all happy.

Yours truly,

PlatinumPlumbbob
113 Wright Way
Pleasantview, Sim City, 01234
Field Researcher
#24 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 7:06 PM
Thought it doesn't help OP, because he wants to effect townies/effects.

The Only thing I can think of that would help them "passively sleep", if you will-- as mention by @Rosebine: use the "Propose >> Stay in for the Night". Maybe If you have a witch (which is the non-passive method of filling the need however), perhaps you can use a spell (google and find it on the wiki), which boosts it.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 11:08 PM
On a side note, have you noticed that trapped sims who want to leave the lot already do notice that they can’t? Years ago I had a gateless fence square on the street with a cowplant inside, and I put some townies in that square so they could get eaten (I kept their motives up with aroma therapy from Parsimonious, so they wouldn’t die by starvation or wet themselves or anything). When they wanted to leave, they were walking around and looked angry, annoyed or they just cried, there were several animations showing that they know something is wrong instead of just infinitely walking. Sadly I don’t have a better picture than this.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Page 1 of 2