Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 943 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2014 at 11:08 PM
please help! 48 hours of constant trying..
I had a new laptop for christmas so decided to transfer my old sims over to the new laptop as my old pc is broke anyway and when i try to play sims it just crashes. I copied the files and transferred them over and the neighbor hoods have vanished?? I only care bout pleasantview had the sims now since sims 2 came out.. generations and loads of houses made, businesses etc. really dont want to start again. Unusual thing is the houses that come automatically with peasantville for e.g the dreamer household, i had edited and messed with and that shows up edited as i left it with the people in it but all the brand new houses i made families etc are gone. then as soon as i transfer the neighbor hood package file the whole neighbor hood vanishes i cant even go onto it its like it doesnt exist. this happened to me years ago when i rebooted my pc and eventually i fixed it by renaming files etc but i cant remember exactly what i did and i have tried since xmas day to fix this and i have wasted hours and hours its getting so frustrating, ive tried just copying every file over exactly as it is on my pc and it just makes all the hoods vanish. can anyone offer any advice? thank you so much xx
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Dec 2014 at 11:38 PM
Take a deep breath -- it will all work out in the end. There are a lot of things that could have gone wrong, and knowing the answers to some questions helps figure out exactly where the problem is. And once we know where the problem is, we can help you fix it. So here are the questions that we need answered to start with.

What type of computer is your old computer?
What was the operating system on that computer? (For example, Windows 7 or MAC OS Snow Leopard)
How did you install the game on your new computer?
Do you have all the same EPs and SPs on your new computer as on your old one?
What type of computer is your new computer?
What operating system do you have on your new computer?
What method did you use to copy the files over?
Which files did you copy?

There might be more questions later, depending on the answers, but these are a really good starting point.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal
Most recent story update: Ruth's (u)OWBC on 11/29/14
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeiolanthe
Take a deep breath -- it will all work out in the end. There are a lot of things that could have gone wrong, and knowing the answers to some questions helps figure out exactly where the problem is. And once we know where the problem is, we can help you fix it. So here are the questions that we need answered to start with.

What type of computer is your old computer?
What was the operating system on that computer? (For example, Windows 7 or MAC OS Snow Leopard)
How did you install the game on your new computer?
Do you have all the same EPs and SPs on your new computer as on your old one?
What type of computer is your new computer?
What operating system do you have on your new computer?
What method did you use to copy the files over?
Which files did you copy?

There might be more questions later, depending on the answers, but these are a really good starting point.

my old pc is a hp intel one and it had vista installed, ive had it for 10 years maybe more now. when I rebooted the pc it did the same because i only copied the folders i thought mattered characters, lots etc but i did manage to get it to work on there so all the files as they stand on pc should bring up the neighborhood
i installed it without discs i had the files saved onto my laptop to install
i have every single ep only thing is everytime i go to download mansion and garden it says update wasnt succesful and it rejects it, i know that would probably pose a problem but even without it i managed to get some of the families to show up by simply transferring the lot/characters into the existing noo1 file rather than transferring the whole thing but when i transfer the manager package file the whole neighbour hoods dont even show up?

this is windows 8 and i know theres probs when installing but i copied the tsbin and data over so the install ran smoothly, part from M&G i tried installing all the patch updates but it still wouldnt download but i read somewhere if u have every single other pack it makes no diff but im sure it would. prob is ive tried uninstalling all the games and reinstalling in diff orders and that hasnt worked either and it takes so long i dont want to to do it again.

From my old pc i have tried copying the WHOLE sims 2 folder, that makes every neighbor hood vanish, sometimes just pleasantville.
I have tried copying just the lots/characters because that worked for me before but i think i had to rename all my lots?? when i transfer that over i can see as i said the default houses ive edited with the right families in but then no other houses theres a couple of random massive castle haunted looking lots on my neighbour hood overlapping roads where they shouldnt be, that i never even installed when i played the game??

i read somewhere i should copy my lots into the log catalog bin and rename all the files?

Thank you so much for your reply i really appreciate it im at my wits end lol! xxxxx
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 2:33 PM
What you have to do is this in this order.

1. Copy or find the folder on your old computer: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2. You need to copy or zip up this folder.

2. Uninstall any version of TS2 on your new computer. You need to start with a fresh slate.

3. Install TS2 on your new computer, either with discs (don't forget to add ALL the patches, add them one by one after installing each pack) or the Ultimate Collection if you downloaded that. (that is already patched) Any other method is not supported here - if you downloaded the game illegally, we can't help you with that. They're not expensive to buy second hand on disc. Don't just copy over the install files from Program Files - that won't work especially if you're changing operating system.

4. Run the game and make sure it works correctly. You won't see your own hoods at this point, just the default ones.

5. When it does work correctly, go into My Documents\EA Games and right-click rename on the The Sims 2 (Or TS2UC) folder. Add ".bak" to the end or something.

6. Now copy over or unzip your other The Sims 2 folder. If you installed TS2UC, you have to rename it to exactly what the other folder was named, which I think includes a TM symbol. Don't rename anything or overwrite anything. If it's overwriting you've done it wrong. Don't yet delete the copy you have saved.

7. Run the game and check that it works. Actually go in and play a little.

8. When you're happy it works correctly, you can delete the The Sims 2.bak folder.

Do it like that and if you're getting stuck tell us which part you're getting stuck at and what the problem is.

Oh - and if you play with empty templates, that's an extra step you need to do. If you don't know what empty templates are ignore this, it doesn't matter. You'd know if you needed them.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools): Here at simbology
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 4:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsfreq
What you have to do is this in this order.

1. Copy or find the folder on your old computer: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2. You need to copy or zip up this folder.

2. Uninstall any version of TS2 on your new computer. You need to start with a fresh slate.

3. Install TS2 on your new computer, either with discs (don't forget to add ALL the patches, add them one by one after installing each pack) or the Ultimate Collection if you downloaded that. (that is already patched) Any other method is not supported here - if you downloaded the game illegally, we can't help you with that. They're not expensive to buy second hand on disc. Don't just copy over the install files from Program Files - that won't work especially if you're changing operating system.

4. Run the game and make sure it works correctly. You won't see your own hoods at this point, just the default ones.

5. When it does work correctly, go into My Documents\EA Games and right-click rename on the The Sims 2 (Or TS2UC) folder. Add ".bak" to the end or something.

6. Now copy over or unzip your other The Sims 2 folder. If you installed TS2UC, you have to rename it to exactly what the other folder was named, which I think includes a TM symbol. Don't rename anything or overwrite anything. If it's overwriting you've done it wrong. Don't yet delete the copy you have saved.

7. Run the game and check that it works. Actually go in and play a little.

8. When you're happy it works correctly, you can delete the The Sims 2.bak folder.

Do it like that and if you're getting stuck tell us which part you're getting stuck at and what the problem is.

Oh - and if you play with empty templates, that's an extra step you need to do. If you don't know what empty templates are ignore this, it doesn't matter. You'd know if you
needed them.

ive messed around all day and i have come to the conclusion its a problem with the package manager file. whenever i copy it into the folder the neighbor hoods dissapear??? not sure what i can do about it as if i use the default neighborhood package file i only get my default houses i edited and all my other lots are in the houses bin with no people in. someone said to install sims PE and try and put the neighbor hood in that as a new name but i dont know how to do it i am currently trying, thank u for your suggestion but i did uninstall and i did copy the whole folder over, and soon as that neighbor hood package goes in it goes all wrong i dont know why
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 8:25 PM
It's going wrong at stage 7?

You shouldn't be copying files separately. I don't know what the package manager is. Do you mean the neighbourhood manager? If so it's safe to delete that anyway, the game will create it when it loads up. SimPE has nothing to do with the game and you can't "put a neighbourhood in it".

I'm sorry, I'm trying to help but your post is very difficult to follow. Have you actually done the steps I said in my last post, exactly as I posted them? Because it sounds like you're doing all sorts of things with the default neighbourhood package and putting a neighbourhood in separately. You need to clean everything out and start again. Doing more things on top of an old mess will just cause more problems.

Did you get Mansions and Gardens to install?

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools): Here at simbology
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 10:09 PM
M&G is like a mini EP even though it is listed as a Stuff Pack i think you need it to run your game as it was in your old computer.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 6:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsfreq
It's going wrong at stage 7?

You shouldn't be copying files separately. I don't know what the package manager is. Do you mean the neighbourhood manager? If so it's safe to delete that anyway, the game will create it when it loads up. SimPE has nothing to do with the game and you can't "put a neighbourhood in it".

I'm sorry, I'm trying to help but your post is very difficult to follow. Have you actually done the steps I said in my last post, exactly as I posted them? Because it sounds like you're doing all sorts of things with the default neighbourhood package and putting a neighbourhood in separately. You need to clean everything out and start again. Doing more things on top of an old mess will just cause more problems.

Did you get Mansions and Gardens to install?

LOL Im so sorry youre right I had quite a bit to drink and it doesnt make sense. Yeah the neighbour hood package. are you sure it doesnt matter because the file for my neighbour hood package is like 16housand kb where as the default one is like 27kb and i read online the neighbour hood package file IS the neighbour hood. Everytime i put it into my neighbour hood though it makes it dissapear. I tried copying over all the files EXACTLY as they are on my old pc and all the neighbour hoods just vanish and nothing works,so i started doing things separately because that is what i did before and it worked. but it wont work this time but i had a mess with things and the neighbour hood shows up when i copy lots etc over just not with the houses BUT soon as i transfer the neighbourhood package file it all vanishes. I will uninstall everything and try again though although ive done that twice now but not in the exact way you suggested. i will let you know what happens x thank you x
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 7:12 PM
This is the one you can delete with no problems "NeighborhoodManager".

In side each Neighborhood is the "E/F/G or Nxxx_Neighborhood" and this is the one you do not delete.

Make sure you are not copy and paste for it will overright and put stuff that will not work for even though they have the same # they are still dif hoods.

1. Remove the \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and start up your game.
2. You will now have a new \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and go and delete the Neighborhood folder and (if you want to save it then put it in a folder on your desktop).
3. Now copy your old Neighborhood folder into this new \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and start up your game.
4. If your hoods dont show up now then you will need to install M&G to have them show up.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 7:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka93
This is the one you can delete with no problems "NeighborhoodManager".

In side each Neighborhood is the "E/F/G or Nxxx_Neighborhood" and this is the one you do not delete.

Make sure you are not copy and paste for it will overright and put stuff that will not work for even though they have the same # they are still dif hoods.

1. Remove the \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and start up your game.
2. You will now have a new \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and go and delete the Neighborhood folder and (if you want to save it then put it in a folder on your desktop).
3. Now copy your old Neighborhood folder into this new \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and start up your game.
4. If your hoods dont show up now then you will need to install M&G to have them show up.

I cant download mansion because it keeps saying Update not succesful installation will now terminate.?? Can you help me please it states its the last pack to come out so it is in order i have tried installing patches i have any ideas? thank you xx
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 7:53 PM
Have you tried giving your disc a clean? Maybe its got some scratches
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 8:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry.x
I cant download mansion because it keeps saying Update not succesful installation will now terminate.?? Can you help me please it states its the last pack to come out so it is in order i have tried installing patches i have any ideas? thank you xx

Then that means you need to patch all your EP's and the 1 Stuff Pack if you have it and then it will install.

Section jump