Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 5:57 PM
Default What happen if there's no mod community?
Seeing how EA attitude with the no tools for modding community and the complexity of TS3.

I wonder what happen if the there's no mod community?

What happen if most of the item at modthesims3.com is just full of recoloring stuff from EA texture pool?

Most of the guest who invited to Creator's Camp, stop producing cloth and other custom content, and closing their website too?

Then the Sims 3 Store announce that they already make a profit more than US$ 1 billion, since it's the only place to get more items online.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 6:10 PM
Well, There is always, always going to be someone who is trying to crack games, and TS3 will be no different

[[CS3 is open, and is designed for this purpose, actually! :D]]

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 7:13 PM
Um, what?

It's not like we got super amazing modding tools for TS2: we have Body Shop and Homecrafter and that's it provided by EA. They let us make sims, recolours of their sim-related meshes (hair, clothes, skins, etc.), walls, floors, and ground cover. -Everything- else we have made - hacks, new meshes for objects and sim-content, modded objects, even simple recolours like new bedding, neighborhood objects, default replacements - has all been due to dedicated brainy people figuring out the file formats and creating tools and plugins to let us do it.

There are some amazing TS2 modders who have already expressed interest in creating tools and plugins for TS3 when it comes out - big names you know who were involved in TS2 tool/plugin creation like Delphy and Wes_H.

It probably will be a while before we get up to the same level of modding tools we have for TS2 - remember, it's been a long progression of improved tools and abilities for TS2 as well. It's not like the current versions of SimPE came out on day 1 of TS2's release and we've been able to do everything ever since. But if the game's worth playing, it will be worth modding, and we'll figure out how to do it. EA has already said they know we'll figure out how so it's not like they've specifically made it so we can't.

Yes, it will probably be a lot more complex, but... well... so? There are plenty of games which have a huge modding community (like, say, Oblivion and Fallout 3) that are MUCH more complex in terms of things like meshes and such. I went looking to see how to make hair for Fallout 3 and was just boggled at how difficult it is compared to TS2 - and there's several hair packs out for Fallout 3 so it's not like nobody can do it. If it's doable, someone with a big and squishy enough brain will figure it out.

Now, will this maybe mean that less people do TS3 modding? That's a possibility; meshing for TS2, while complicated, is something that quite a few people do, but many people find too hard to even attempt. But that might also mean that the general quality of items we see as custom content for TS3 will improve overall - if only the really smart folks can actually manage it, maybe we'll only get generally good stuff.

I really don't understand all this running around acting like the sky is falling - this isn't the first time I've seen someone going, "Omigosh there will be no mods for TS3 whatever will we dooooo?" It's just not going to be that way, so do cool your britches and just relax. We'll have cool custom content for TS3, assuming the game doesn't suck so hard that nobody wants to play it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 7:48 PM
I'm confident in the sims modding community! Someone will find a way! :D

Remember, everyone worried about the same thing when the sims 2 was about to come out... It took a little while, but eventually someone figured something out... now just look at all the amazing creations and hacks and mods we have for the sims 2!
Scholar
#5 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 7:55 PM
^^^ Howdy HP! I've been lurking for a while now and I've seen you and others say the same thing over and over and OVER. Maybe you should sticky something. I'm starting to feel sorry for you mods. lol

I can wait for CC even though I'm a junkie. The game play will keep me quite content. I'll be making evil, insane, mooching, shy, schmoozers.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 8:02 PM
Pft, kids these days, expecting all kinds of modding tools from day 1 of the release. It's extremely rare that a game has modding tools on release, and rare too to actually have tools by the developers. Most games we just have to write our own.

Patience, people. Patience. Be sure we'll be poking around the file formats when the game comes out but remember it took months to get custom meshes imported and a lot longer to develop the techniques and other tools needed. Unimesh/BodyChop weren't done for a couple of years.

So don't go running around screaming with your hands in the air going "omg no tools! no custom meshes! wah wah wah!!" or I might have to bop some sense into ya.
#7 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
^^^ Howdy HP! I've been lurking for a while now and I've seen you and others say the same thing over and over and OVER. Maybe you should sticky something. I'm starting to feel sorry for you mods. lol

I can wait for CC even though I'm a junkie. The game play will keep me quite content. I'll be making evil, insane, mooching, shy, schmoozers.

Yes, one of those many threads should be made a sticky. It's getting tiring seeing people explain it over and over again. ^_^;
#8 Old 8th Mar 2009 at 5:12 AM
I figure that I won't want mods right off the back. By the time I would want some, there should be some.

If they can make a game. You can mod it.
#9 Old 8th Mar 2009 at 7:46 AM
I was actually talking to about this with my boyfriend, who is a game programmer, the other day. I myself had a hunch that they could not completely make a game unmoddable, and my boyfriend confirmed my hunch. As he says, it is only data and coding, it can be hacked and modded given time. Just like Hysterical said.

I am quite confident that someone will eventually come up with tools to mod TS3.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2009 at 10:10 AM
Honestly, if you can still package lots, I am happy, as I can't really do anything else. (short attention span, you know how it is.)

I am also confident that someone will come up with tools to mod the Sims 3.

If not, then, I can always mod Age of Mythology.

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 8th Mar 2009 at 12:37 PM
Lets face it; the graphics designers at Maxis aren't exactely known for their good taste. Maxis know perfectly well that the game would have died years ago if it wasn't for all the fantastic artists in this community making the game so much more enjoyable. So I find it hard to believe they would make the game 'un-modable'. Personally I think it would've been a good idea for them to make it easier to mod by shipping modding tools with the game. They (should) know it would benefit them. There already are games out there that have this included.
#12 Old 8th Mar 2009 at 5:44 PM
I'm not worried about this at all. As long as there's a way in, there'll be mods. And there will be a way in for one simple reason: EA will be making a Sims 3 Store. If EA can get new items into an otherwise fresh of the DVD game, so can the modding community.

Will it be as easy as Sims 2? I don't know. I haven't seen Sims 3. Will it happen? Yes. There are way too many talented modders and hackers* in the Sims Community for it not to happen. It's all just a matter of time.

*hackers as in "people who can pick apart programs", not "people who steal your credit cards".
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Mar 2009 at 3:47 PM
I would imagine some textures might be harder than the meshes. You'd have to make them re-colourable in multiple parts.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 9th Mar 2009 at 5:06 PM
Sims 3 will have CC by the time it dies.
People will enjoy the fact of the new game 'effect' then, people will mod the game so bad that you can barely call the game, Sims 3.
Along the way there will be flame wars, paysite ambushes, poo bags left at doorsteps, copiers, copiers on fire, butter on toast, etc.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

#15 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 12:56 AM
i must admit i'm quite baffled by EA's stance on modding on TS3.

"We're not going to let you, but we're not going to stop you either"
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist_
i must admit i'm quite baffled by EA's stance on modding on TS3.

"We're not going to let you, but we're not going to stop you either"

You mean "We're not going to HELP you, but we won't stop you" don't you? The same stance EA has always had?
Field Researcher
#17 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by northen_light36
You mean "We're not going to HELP you, but we won't stop you" don't you? The same stance EA has always had?

When EA invited all those creators to the camp, one would think it was because they wanted to encourage the creators to make cc for Sims 3, the way they have done, and still do, for Sims 2. So why then don't EA make this easy for them? They know the Sims games would never have survived without the creators of this community.
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 9:14 AM
If they release anything it won't be till AFTER the game is released. They have to make sure their stuff works before they can have fans adding stuff.
Instructor
#19 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 12:52 PM
You never know! They might release some CC-making tools for the game... on the sims 3 store, for a lot of cash. :P
#20 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuX- 80's
Sims 3 will have CC by the time it dies.
People will enjoy the fact of the new game 'effect' then, people will mod the game so bad that you can barely call the game, Sims 3.
Along the way there will be flame wars, paysite ambushes, poo bags left at doorsteps, copiers, copiers on fire, butter on toast, etc.

Poo bags... If I find any "poo bags" on my doorstep I am calling homeland security and the fbi. :call2:

But I'm sure EA will be kicking the online content store into full gear. It's a guaranteed way to pull in more money during this economy. There will be lots and lots of horse armor.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 7:32 AM
EA has ALWAYS been known for its high prices, annoying staff, silly protection methods and amazing ability to turn a blind eye towards the community (in more ways than one) they ain't gonna help us (if I was asked by some fans to make a game the way they wanted I certainly wouldn't - not without money ) but then who NEEDS their help?

We live in the most enlightened age the world has ever seen - the age of technology. Computer techs, scriptwriters and hackers live on almost every street corner. This isn't like turn of the century Venice where you had to go fifty miles to find a struggling artist - give a kid a computer and nine times out of ten he'll wanna make it better.

The game will be modable - as sure as Rod Humble is an annoying townie it WILL be modable
#22 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 1:49 PM
Honestly I wouldn't use the sims 2 store.A lot of people that have dl'd from there have said stuff they dl has caused their game to slow and crash.I won't be dl'ing from the sims 3 store for this reason.
#23 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 2:44 PM
I highly doubt new meshes would do that. More than likely it was a case of "straw that broke the camel's back".
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
Honestly I wouldn't use the sims 2 store.A lot of people that have dl'd from there have said stuff they dl has caused their game to slow and crash.I won't be dl'ing from the sims 3 store for this reason.

Don't forget that this is usually coming from people whose games are ALREADY so full of custom content
#25 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 9:26 AM
If people are determined enough, and we know the modders here are, they will crack it. No real question of that. I would have liked to have had a bodyshop for TS3 but that is not going to happen regardless of any ones feelings on the matter.

I would say I will just make patterns until it's figured out but honestly I will get sick of that so fast so Ill just do other creative things. And to really answer your question: Simply the game would go under totally lol And EA doesn't want their cash cow to die so no worries.
Page 1 of 2