Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#26 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 2:35 PM
I am a professional costume designer. (Mainly for theatre.) Atm I am graduating from my BA in Fine-Art too, mostly making textile-Art. I do a lot of stuff with graphic design and other creative uses of my computer too.. Mainly trying to make good Sims2 Machinima.

Here's a corset I made:

and a Psp self portrait thingy:
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 6:09 PM
I like to do origami. lol. I have this huge book and special paper. Also I draw a lot w/ different things. And I can bake =)

I love Jude Law
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by astillac
I just started snapping crappy shots of my food because I was so proud of it when it was actually edible! It's really rewarding.

That sounds like a fun idea. I love to bake, especially desserts. I like trying to make them look exactly like the pictures in the cook books, with all the garnishes and everything.

I also do scrapbooking and an assortment of general crafting, like making animals from pompoms and styrafoam balls and the like. I also enjoy sewing.

Not sure if it counts as a craft, but since others have mentioned it, I also love, love, love to write, fictional prose and narratives, mostly; though I tend to write for myself only, and throw my stories away when I finish.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dawnadoggies
Not sure if it counts as a craft, but since others have mentioned it, I also love, love, love to write, fictional prose and narratives, mostly; though I tend to write for myself only, and throw my stories away when I finish.

Aw, it is SO a craft. Don't throw them away! Share them! Writing can't take place in a vacuum. It grows when shared. *nod* I should take my own friggin' advice, but, uh, nevermind. Don't throw them away! Keep them all together in a binder or something. I still have all my little stories from high school - and when I think about them, I think, oh dear, I hope no one ever finds these... and then I reread them and think, hey, these aren't so bad... amateurish, but definitely promising.

And you should definitely take pictures of your food. And post them. Because I love food pron. :jig:
Test Subject
#30 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 8:25 PM
I do a whole load of things. I'm currently studying Graphic Design so... here's what I do that's all crafty/nifty:
I sew (currently working on a quilt)
I embroider (just finished doing a robot on a pillowcase)
I crochet (working on a loaf of bread for my fiance's brother)
I like making mini stuff with sculpey (have loads that I haven't baked yet)
I like making jewelry
I paint masks on occasion, or wood
Because I live near the beach, I like attatching shells to things and making shell-art?
I do a lot of photography
I use Photo Shop a ton for photos and to prepare photos for photobooks that I make
(I also scrapbook :D)
I do pixel art sometimes
I make lots of random graphics (lj icons, random stuff to shove on my myspace)
I paint and draw a lot, mostly with pen. I teach some pencil drawing and fundamentals to people I know
For my job I do a lot of literary editing, but I also write essays and some poetry in my spare time (usually to accompany said photos)
And finally I'm working on a series of spreads for a book I'm doing for fun in InDesign right now. I'm not sure if it'll ever be sent to print though.

If you've read all that, I applaud you! I honestly have too much free time and need a real job someday XD Oh, and I like to bake and decorate cakes and cookies *dies*

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work - supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." - Author, Douglas Adams
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 8:25 PM
teapot3: pictures!
appelsapgodin: that is a gorgeous corset!
paola_105: pictuuuuures!
Chris, uh... PICTURES! <3

I feel like I've taken this thread over. Hm... oh well. Post pictures! We have an incredible amount of talent in this community - and I intend to see it! And use exclamation marks! So there!
Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 8:51 PM
Okay... PICTURES XD

The robot I mentioned. (It's an extreme closeup though, it's actually about 2 inches tall)

One of my favorites from a shoot I did a couple days ago.

One of my pixel things.

A painting I did a few months ago.

A sculpey thing, about 1/3 inch tall.

Mostly old things, because I'm really lazy to go around and take pictures, but you get the general idea, I think.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work - supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." - Author, Douglas Adams
Field Researcher
#33 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 8:55 PM
Hmmm... I am a very crafty person and dabble in damn near everything. My favorites are: reading, scrapbooking, rubber stamping, painting, mixed media arts, collaging, digital art, photograph editing, etc.

My favorite "hobby" is actually on it's way to becoming a new career. *fingers crossed* I love to write and have began the first in a series of three (so far) paranormal romances that I have dubbed "The Phoenix Series". The series is more sci-fi/fantasy than paranormal romance, but the definition of the genres will categorize the book(s) as such. Anywho... here's a snippet for anyone that cares:

Cirdan's eyes were nearly black as he tore the note card and the photograph into a million pieces. He roared with a fury that would make even the bravest man cower in fear. He knew what was in the box and dreaded opening it with everything in him. He placed his hand on the box and he could feel the life force pulsing inside. Opening it, he found a smal vial that contained the one thing that he feared and craved the most: Morrigan's blood.

It isn't perfect, but it is still in the rough draft phase and will take a while to complete. I am so in love with the characters and the storyline, that it makes the 'work' part of the job enjoyable. Ideally, it will be available to the public within the next two years (one year to complete the writing/editing/re-writing, and a year to complete the publishing cycle).
#34 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 9:14 PM
I love to write (but my talent seems to have left me ). I also draw some, paint some, I've done a few pieces in Photoshop. I'm also so-so at sculpting.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 9:23 PM
I suck at drawning, anything with clothes (oh, I wish I could do something with clothing) and writing music myself or painting or something.

But I do write some poems from time to time (nothing serious, mostly funny poems) and I recenlty made my first pair of earrings! And wow, you're all so talented, and I wish I could do all of that.
Eedgan, that looks so frustrating but cool!
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 9:26 PM
*cheer*

Thank you for the pictures, Chris, and the snippet, enchantedw0lf! Very nice!
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 9:30 PM
Well, I am a seamstress.
Half of the clothing I have in my room are hand-made by me. I do all kinds of T-Shirt Surgery and clothing renewing. If I'm going somewhere and don't really have anything to wear- I make something. Yup yup, that's me.
I'm a craftster, too.
I make robot sculptures and decorate altoid tins and renew rooms...And I paint and sketch ALOT.
label me. hahaaaa!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#38 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 10:10 PM
You know, I'm really surprised at how many of you do sewing and seamstressy stuff. That's something I never have had the talent or patience for. Kudos to all of you, and for all you crafters out there, have a cookie!!

These are some of my favorite jewelery bits that I have now. I usually give away my best stuff because I don't actually like wearing jewelery (odd, yes, I know. I have one item that I wear regularly, but that's it.). And I don't make really complicated items like HP *drools over pics* because I have no patience and I'm not very good at wire working.

(sorry for the cruddy pics)

And this is something I don't do often anymore, but how many of you remember the plastic bead lizards that were so popular in elementary schools in the 90s? That's a normal sized thumbtack!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 10:15 PM
Mahenveau: Let's see it! :D

Buster: I remember those lizards. I was always envious of people that could make them. They tried to teach me, but I was like... uh, I can't do it... xP Also, I absolutely adore the bear necklace and the necklace with the shell. So lovely!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 12:07 AM
Mahenveau: Let's see it! :D

K...I'll get some pics up in a second...but beware...I'm a NOOB!!! :ele:
Field Researcher
#41 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 2:12 AM
Oh my gosh, Buster, I used to make those lizards out of seed beads like that as presents for absolutely everybody. I even made one into a ring when a friend requested it. I'm envious of the multistrand bracelet though, I just cannot get a multistrand to look right...

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Field Researcher
#42 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 2:54 AM
*cheer*

Thank you for the pictures, Chris, and the snippet, enchantedw0lf! Very nice!

Aww, thanks. I have this upcoming week off from work, so I plan on starting chapter five and will hopefully make it through seven or eight, which makes me wanna do this: :elephant:

I am in awe of the jewelry I am seeing in here! Oh, you guys are great. :clap:
Field Researcher
#43 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:11 AM
Sorry Astillac, I didn't mean to affend.Over here 9 times out of 10 someone will use the term picture to describe what they have drawn/painted.I'm still getting use to talking with people from all over. :doh :sorry:
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by teapot3
Sorry Astillac, I didn't mean to affend.Over here 9 times out of 10 someone will use the term picture to describe what they have drawn/painted.I'm still getting use to talking with people from all over. :doh :sorry:

I'm not offended! I'm a little confused, now, but certainly not offended. ^__^ I was just asking for examples of work; I'm curious.

EDIT: Ooh, I get it now... I'm sorry, I was being enthusiastic, not yelling at you. I'm sorry!
Field Researcher
#45 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:26 AM
I'm not offended! I'm a little confused, now, but certainly not offended. ^__^ I was just asking for examples of work; I'm curious.

EDIT: Ooh, I get it now... I'm sorry, I was being enthusiastic, not yelling at you. I'm sorry!

Oh That's good.I'm still getting use to everything lol.I've got to wait till my other half get's home on wednesday because he's got the digital camera.I'll also have to get him to show me how to do it.Then i'll definitly post some.:D
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:34 AM
Hurrah! I'm glad. Sorry I got a little cheerleader on everyone. xP
Scholar
#47 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 11:11 AM
Recycling stuff, cooking, Poetry, Photography...yeah that's all...
Inventor
#48 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 2:49 PM
I absolutely love your 'jewlery' BusterBrown.

And Cynicalgirl's tiny robot is sooooo adorable.
#49 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:35 PM
astillac, that painting is amazing!!! :lovestruc

I hope to draw like that in Painter someday... I got a graphic tablet in january but still haven't gotten around to using it.

I was just about to tell what arts and crafty things I myself do as I realised... I don't. Heh. I only have heaps of plans for them. lol... I have a simple white knitted sweater unfinished, stown away on a shelf, some beautiful fabrics I hope to turn into a dress someday - on another shelf... and so on.
I guess the only thing I actually do is draw. I might post something over the art thread when I feel it looks decent.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 26th Jun 2007 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pixie
astillac, that painting is amazing!!! :lovestruc

I hope to draw like that in Painter someday... I got a graphic tablet in january but still haven't gotten around to using it.

Aw, thanks. :frog: Do play with the tablet - it'll change your life. It took me months to learn, but it is SO worth it. Also, if you feel that the surface is too slick, try putting a sheet of paper down on the tablet before you draw. Makes it easier.
Page 2 of 3