Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mumof5ferals
But I have a little debate with my partner with the word Quiche.
I pronounce it Kee-sh and he pronounces it k-w-ee-sh *the k is not silent*. He says that he is right and I think that I am....Can anyone let me know the correct pronunciation of the word? PLEASE.

In french and in english, it's pronounced "Keesh." So you win. :D
Advertisement
#27 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aries
In french and in english, it's pronounced "Keesh." So you win. :D

YaY!! Huh! I knew I was right. In his face !!!! LOL
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:19 AM
OH! Another one of mine- There's this restaurant called meiklejohn's in DC, and the sign on the front has the N in john upside down because its an Irish pub. So it looks like: MeikleJohus. The actual pronounciation is Michael John's. For the longest time I pronounced it Mee-kul-joe-hus.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#29 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:22 AM
For the longest time I couldn't say success. I would say suc-sex instead. XD
#30 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ::Simstress::
For the longest time I couldn't say success. I would say suc-sex instead. XD

haha I did that too for like ever. In my school when we try out for Class cabinet position we have to make a speech on tape and EVERYONE sees it. And my speech had success in it like, I kid you not, eleven times. and it kept coming out like suck-sex so muxh so that the camera girl was laughing and my speech ended with me throwing my index cards in the air and me shouting 'You know what i meant GOD! I cant say success alright....oh great now i say right...*slams head on desk*'

LOL i still won VP thought
#31 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 1:01 AM
Thats pretty hilarious color guard. I cant think of any words I mispronounce maybe because Im always that semi-obnoxious person thats walking around correcting everyone. I mean no harm
Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 4:07 PM
When I was in college I decided to impress the dean by showing off my knowledge of the French philosopher, Albert Camus. I must have said his name about ten times, pronouncing it "Came Us". The dean waited politely until I was finished and then said, "By the way, its "Kamey." I was so mortified that I've never said Camus again.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 6:12 PM
One time, me and my friend were argueing over how you would pronounce ROFL (rolling on floor laughing) and I said: Would it be rolf? We were laughing at that for ages!!

Rainbow Street: colourful starter homes.
Test Subject
#34 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
I'm not talking about wrong pronunciations, I guess, but ever since I moved to the southern US, I've discovered so many words that people pronounce differently. For instance, "lawyer" is pronounced the way it looks, "law-yerr" here, which sounds really awkward to me because I've always said "loy-yerr." And "dinosaur" is "dino-sarr," not "dino-sorr." The country Israel (though now I can't remember when I heard someone say this, since it's not like there are any Jewish people here *sigh*) is two syllables, "Is-ral," here, not "Is-ree-al." It's weird.

I'm from Lousiana and I have a southern accent, but not a "country" accent. I used to have a friend from Arkansas and he pronounced 'rice' like ryyyce, 'ice' like iiiice with a drawl. That is sooooooo country. I pronounce those words as they should be pronounced. I do pronounce dog like dawg, but I don't draw out the word like dawwwg. That doesn't mean that I'm less intelligent than someone who pronounces it "correctly." Believe it or not, there is a difference between a southern accent and a "country" accent. I have a southern one, but my friend from Arkansas has a "country" one. Garth Brooks has a "country" accent. My accent is different from his. My accent is a mix of southern and western (like California), but I'm from Louisiana. Another example of my Arkansas friend's accent is the way he pronounced closet. He would say "clow-zit" with the "clow" part rhyming with ow as in someone in pain would say. I pronounce it as someone from California or the north would, but I've only lived in Louisiana. That's another example of the difference between a southern and "country" accent (like country music singers).

Daisy, I do pronounce the words lawyer like you mentioned (law-yer), but I pronounce dinosaur like dye-no-sore, not like dye-no-sarr. I've never heard anyone around me pronounce it like that, lol, only on tv.

Quote: Originally posted by slytherin-girl
I'm Canadian and I pronounce it like that too And I say mum! But I get accused of talking like a Brit all the time. Probably bcause I say pajamas like this :"Pah jom ahs" (Jom pronounced like mom with a j at the beginning).

And another weird one, I say Sandwich without the d, so I pronounce in Samwich. My friend laughed at me for hours!

I pronounce pajamas like you do, not like pah-jam-ahs with the jam part rhyming with the food jam. Some people here do though. Differences exist wherever one goes. Here many people pronounce sandwich like san-wich. I've never heard anyone say sam-wich, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by poplers
Well, I need to know where you live, then, because that's about 89% of the people here in Atlanta, sadly.
One would think that in a metropolitan area, we'd have people w/o a souther accent. ;(

What's wrong with a southern accent?? There's nothing sad about it. It's only different and doesn't denote that a person with a southern accent is less intelligent or less educated than someone who doesn't have one.

Quote: Originally posted by poplers
I've realised that southern accents are the only accents that when you speak to someone, they think less of you already, a british accent doesn't do that. ;P
I didnt think you were trying to be negative, your comment was totally on point.

That's not true, because I've heard eastern American accents and English accents that can fall under the same "category." That's pre-judgment and not fair to judge someone by his/her accent.

I LOVE a-ha!
#35 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 6:07 PM
In school I was to read out this text from a worksheet, and i said "mo-skwee-toe" instead of "mos-ki-toe" as soon as I finished reading my friend kept laughing in my ear about it <_<

note: i don't actually know if "mos-ki-toe" is the correct pronounciation either, lots of sites where giving me differant answers to the real way to say it.

Oh and a few people pronounce my name wrong. My names "Annalise" and people either pronounce it "Anna-lies" or "Anna-lees" but it's Anna-Leece (Leece as in "Fleece")
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 6:15 PM
This is so funny because a friend and I were just talking about this yesterday.

My junior year of high school, I had to give a group presentation in my history class. I was doing great and everything was fine until I said "Mass-a-two-shits." Everyone burst out laughing - I did too.

It's not my fault! I've never really been able to say Massachusetts. Oh well.
#37 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 6:32 PM
I have a bit of a southern accent that can be quite funny at times...

For example, I'm still debating with many people that there is a silent 'r' in 'wash'. XD

It's funny, I say Washington correctly (Wah-shington). But when I say just 'wash'...like...'wash the windows' I always say 'warsh'.
Test Subject
#38 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 6:39 PM
Everyone laughs at my odd pronunciation - its a little mangled coz my dads 100% a northerner but my mum is 100% soft southerner!
However, I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone, regardless of where they're from, pronouncing "tissue" in the same way as me. I actually pronounce it "tiss-you" instead of "tish-oo" like most normal people. I also pronounce "none" with a short o sound in the middle instead of "nun".
When I was very little I had trouble saying twenty and people used to bully me because of it - I always used to say "trenty".
I highly doubt that anyone cares much about my slightly obscure way of saying things, but does anybody here know anyone who says things like me? I need a counter-argument for when people laugh at me... *humph*

Heres a llama theres a llama and another little llama fuzzy llama funny llama llama llama DUCK!

Jessica Walden is sharing my account, because for some reason MTS2 won't let her. Not sure why or how... but now you know anyway.
#39 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 6:47 PM
lol... I'm gonna mix everything up up there, cause I say tish-you. Kinda a mix between it all, and I don't say nun either, mine has an 'o' in the middle :P

I haven't really heard anyone say tissue, like tish-oo, but that might just be my little strange town :P
Test Subject
#40 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 9:48 PM
funheart: maybe my friends are ALL weirdos and you and me are the only people that speak properly! And I like saying tissue with an s sound in the middle, its just feels better when you say it that way

Heres a llama theres a llama and another little llama fuzzy llama funny llama llama llama DUCK!

Jessica Walden is sharing my account, because for some reason MTS2 won't let her. Not sure why or how... but now you know anyway.
#41 Old 8th Dec 2007 at 10:11 AM
Before I would pronounce ensemble as it's spelled. So instead of an-sam-bl, I would say it as en-sem-bl. x.x
Test Subject
#42 Old 8th Dec 2007 at 6:35 PM
I always used to pronounce tutorial " two-tur-ol" I one day said it in front of my parents they told me how to actually pronounce it and I fell over laughing. I still have trouble with it.
#43 Old 8th Dec 2007 at 9:37 PM
I cant for the life of me pronounce the word Miscellaneous. I always fast-read it as "Michelangelo" (the artist).

Eedgan: I can relate to that. Spent a lot of time with people from all over Africa, Iran, Iraq etc., and of course I wanted to be polite and learn their names. I realised I had to come up with nick-names, and I "got away" with it, cause I was smiling like an idiot I suppose. (Sometimes a nick-name turns out to mean something bad in their language...)
#44 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 1:29 PM
There are a lot of people who can't say designer names properly. The thing that gets me is that these people are actually in the industry. This has completely turned me off from watching certain shows on the style network. It really isn't that hard to learn the words seeing as how you want the rest of us to take you seriously.

The worst pronunciations seem to be Balenciaga, Hermès, Dolce & Gabbana, Gianfranco Ferre, and Givenchy.

Oh and the three Christian's: Dior, LaCroix and Louboutin.
Test Subject
#45 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 10:26 PM
Not me personally, but I have a friend who apparently, for a very long time, thought that "The Count of Monte Cristo" was "The Count of Monte Crisco." The first time I heard her say it that way I laughed. Then I felt bad. Then I laughed again.
#46 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 10:51 PM
I say "pahsta", "sandwitch", "tish-oo", "keesh", "puh-jam-uh"...

I also say "tur-byne", with a long "I" sound. I was talking to some kid in my physics class about my project and he flipped out over that. "Isn't it a 'tur-bihn'?"

My dad says "tur-bihn", but my brother also says "tur-byne". They're both right, as far as I can tell.

As for "hyperbole"--it was my algebra teacher's pet peeve that people would pronounce "hyperbola" as "hyperbole". "This is a math class, not an English class!"

(Also as an aside, in AP English last year, my teacher was talking about the spelling of "picnic".

"When I was younger I thought 'picnic' had a K, so it would be..."

*writes 'picnik' on the board*

"... but now I know it has two Ks."

*writes 'piknik' on the board*

Then he went on about "picnicking" and such.)
#47 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 11:04 PM
i don't know if i am really pronouncing these words wrong or it could be my accent.

milk=mel-k [mel as in melody]

that's all i can think of. :[
#48 Old 10th Dec 2007 at 12:02 AM
Today we had a discussion here in my home on how to pronounce "router". My husbands son, says its like "rowter" (like in "rowling"...). I want to say "rooter", like in "scooter". Now, I checked in with Wikipedia, and it seems none of us are wrong. Its okay to say "rowter", but since the word comes from "route", and that's and old French word, its OK. to say it in a more "old French" way, too.
Many words has changed like that over time. And then there are dialects and local differences. I cant see how there can be a right or a wrong way, really. Now that I moved 200km from Stockholm, to a small village, I figure I have to learn to listen again. A lot of people here are talking differently, using words I never heard. Its not wrong, its just another part of the country.
#49 Old 10th Dec 2007 at 4:55 AM
The name brand Enyce for the longest I thought it was pronouced it (n-e-cee)
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 5:15 AM
The word 'Samsung'. Originally, I got the pronunciation right, it's pronounced as sam-sung, very easy. And then once when I went to Hongkong, they kept saying it like 'Sahm-song', and some of the singaporeans pronounced it that way too. So I was like "Ooh I'm wrong." and started pronouncing it as Sahmsong. And then until only recently, I realized that the actual pronunciation is actually just samsung. Just "Sam" and "Sung". It was so confusing, but at least I got the pronunciation right this time!

oh and the word "Pilates". A few years back my friend was talking to me about it on MSN, and honestly it was the first time I heard of that world, so I was like "What's that? Sounds like pirates." I thought it was pronounced like pie-lets. (Pie, and the 'lets' in 'drumlets') and she was like "Noooo it's pronounced as Pee-lattes." It was embarressing. Haha.

And the last one.. the most embarressing of all, (Happened in the same year as the previous one) the word "pronunciation" itself! I kept going "proNOUNciation" at first, 'cause I thought, oh.. Pronounce, so it must be proNOUNciation. Instead of proNUNciation. And yep, that same friend corrected me on that too :D

Shoo, stop staring at this and go fly a kite.
Page 2 of 2