Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:23 AM
Default Your tips and tricks for losing weight and getting healthier
Anyone dealing with weight issue? What do you do to get healthier?

Personnaly, I lost 30 pounds, and I'm very proud of it, but the doctor says I must lose 5 more pounds... because I have a sleep apnea problem. And I want to lose them because I would then have an ideal BMI.

But those last 5 pounds are soooo hard to lose! :eviltongu

The best tricks I've found up to now are these ones:
- eating a snack or two really helps me to get through the day and eat smaller portions at meals.
- adding a banana or apple compote in cake recipes is good to reduce the amount of butter/margarine/oil used in the recipe.
- if the whole family is in it, the "new lifestyle" is easier to accept and embrace.
- I don't make changes in my lifestyle that I wouldn't keep forever. No, really. I can't promise myself that I won't eat a single potato chips for the rest of my life, it's impossible! :yech: So I promise myself to only eat it on saturday nights, that's more acceptable!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:28 AM
well.
i myself.
are a little overweight.
two reasons.
the first.
im disabled and cant play sport.
the second.
im lazy as can be.

so i really dont care.
about my weight.

i think i look fine.
i love my life.
i dont think people need to lose weight for anybody.

that is all.

This is the way you left me,I'm not pretending. No hope, no love, no glory, No Happy Ending.
This is the way that we love, Like it's forever.
Then live the rest of our life,But not together.
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:30 AM
Im on the band wagon with you. My weight sky rocketed after I had Aiyanna a few days ago. Not only did I gain weight from carrying her for 9 freakin months, but my eating habits went crazy and I got the effect of my eating habit after giving birth. Once the swollen belly go down to the after birth effect I would be able to work with what that is. Currently I am looking at 15 or 20 lbs from my initial start of 120 pre-pregnancy. So working from that eating a healthy low cal. based breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday along with 10 glasses of water and proper exercise, I can get down to my original weight and maybe a little below within the next 6 months, depending on how I work it. Also I find dancing and arobics very slimming myself. You can workout and sweat while having tons of fun. So that is my basic weight loss guide.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:45 AM
Personally, right now, I am trying to gain weight. I was in the hospital for about 10 days, and when I came out I was 30 pounds lighter. This was at the beginning of Sept. and so far I've barely gained 10 pounds. If it helps I'm willing to take someones extra weight!

P.S I was 6'4 and 180 pounds. Now its 160ish
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:50 AM
OMG joe, you are tall. And that is a good thing. Oh and being small looks great. Unless you are a tall bag of bones.
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:51 AM
I am not Fit but I hope I am healthy.
I go to a local Gym do 45 minutes cardio for warmup on one of these

then I do my abs using these at 100 crunches

then i do the tight /hip press machine there's 2 of them one for the inner and one of the outer muscle groups these machine are great for reducing those unwanted inches around your tight and hips

and i do the seated leg press. it for the lower body, waist down.

the i pant like a dog hahahahah, oh, before I forget, start with light weight first and work your way up. and do 30 presses each of 3 sets.

that takes up around 1 hour including some stretches. Basically I follow whats on the chart hanging on the walls of the gym for stretches. Its very important to stretch, think of it as: you use your muscle when you exercise, and you stretches to relax them.

note to self: if you keep that up you will stay healthy and be able to eat all the buffet you want!
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:52 AM
I swear by eating a healthy breakfast. I'm currently cleaning houses as a maid and since May 31st, I've lost 35 pounds. Then I plateaued, so I started eating breakfast...BOOM, five pounds in the first week, now at least two a week. Which is the healthiest way...slowly. Like the tortoise.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 5:02 AM
The lazy persons guide to losing weight.

1. Run around the house during commercial breaks.
2. Dance to the radio at least 4 times a week
3. Run everywhere you go. Like if you go to the kitchen... just sprint. If you go to the computer just sprint. If you go to the bathroom sprint.
4. Jump down the stairs. (Not the entire flight just some steps)
5. Jump up the stairs. (^^)
6. Jump up and down for no reason... just boast yourself with energy.

:D
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 2:33 PM
Man oh man I'm glad to see this thread. I've been uber depressed about weight since I had my baby. See I was at a good healthy weight when I got married in 05. Then we gained like 15lbs of wedding weight. We started going to the gym, and before I could lose weight we found out we were pregnant. at 6 months pregnant I was put on bedrest for high bp, and my eating habits were crap. I thought because I was pregnant I had an excuse to eat whatever I wanted. That and not being allowed to move much caused me to gain 48 pounds during my entire pregnancy!!

I lost 17 just through recovering from delivery and by the time she was 4 months old I had lost 24lbs. I was super frustrated and started taking Alli, which worked really well, I lost 8lbs in the first week. I got down another 11lbs total on that but I gained all of them back because I couldn't keep up with the super strict low fat diet Alli requires.

So now I still have 21lbs to go before I get to my pre pregnancy weight and 36 to go til my prewedding weight. I have a hard time forcing myself to exercise. I get tired easily and frustrated. I know you just have to suck it up and do it but arg.... I'm thinking of joining Weight Watchers soon. And my husband and I are going this weekend to get some free weights so I can use those while I do my lunges and squats and whatnot. I'll update you guys if and when I start losing.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 2:38 PM
drink at least 1 litre of water a day. when you drink a lot of water and you keep yourself hydrated, your body won't feel the need to kinda "bulk up" and store back up water to draw on like a camel because it'll get accustomed to knowing that it can flush itself out properly because more water and hydration will be on the way.

through this, you won't feel the need to eat as much when you do eat either, because your body isn't going to be trying to get you to eat that lil bit extra for "winter storage". you'll also find your skin will be a lot nicer, your hair will be too and your nails will be stronger.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 2:46 PM
It helps if you stop eating at a certain time, like 5pm, and only drink water afterwards. Also, what I did (should still be doing) is run, either on a treadmill or outside for half an hour or until I did two miles. If you stop eating after a certain (earlyish) time in the night, it sort of tricks your system to eat up what's in your stomach before you go to bed, and also tricks your system into using the fat. It worked for me.

That being said, I lost twenty pounds when I left school last fall (long story, don't go there). I had gained a lot of weight when I first had started, and was an outrageous 186lbs. Which would have been fine if I had been taller, but I'm only 5'3". I started running on the treadmill every other night, stopped eating after 5pm, and got a job on Fridays working at a farm cleaning stalls. I've lost about twenty pounds since then, but I have another twenty or so to go before I'm content with my weight.
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 3:04 PM
My tricks are no snacking after dinner, and try to walk everywhere. It seems to keep my weight on track. The no snacking at night is the biggest thing though. I also eat more for lunch then I do for the rest of the day, giving my body more time to digest it and burn it off. I'm currently 5 months pregnant and have gained 9 lbs. which is right where I wanted to be.
Instructor
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 3:27 PM
I don't really have weight problems, but i could have if i ate bread and icecream and chocolate which i love, lol. If i am eating a lot of bread i know i will gain weight, same with potatoes. So i am eating a special type of bread, called "Spelt" - i have no idea what that is in english. I do not mind people having too much or too little, the person itself is most important. I have friends who are maybe too slim, but my friend who has a little too much is happier, lol. My guy is not slim at all, and to be honest, i hope he never will, as long there are no danger for his health, i just love him for beeing tall and big. Ok, i shall stop here, and not be too personal, hahaha.

But remember to drink water, do not eat too much cakes, chocolate, bread or fast fat food, eat small and many meals a day, and exercise will help.

1st place in SimCity's Most Eligible Bachelor 2009
2nd in Wicked/Angel male models
2nd in The Ultimate Maxis Sim Makeover
2nd in Bollywood's Next Idol
3rd in Miss Curves
Inventor
#14 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 3:36 PM
I would say just general healthy eating overall- regular, well balanced meals, and getting the whole family to be a part of that. Drinking a lot of water helps too, I think. Gentle exercise like walking helps a lot of people too. My mother put on 20kg after giving up smoking and between eating 3 healthy meals a day and walking the dog for 30-40 mins a few times a week she keeps up a loss of about 1kg/week. (And she still treats herself to the occasional packet of crisps, chocolate bar, etc., even chip butties from time to time!)

My weight fluctuates quite a bit- I can be anywhere between about 52 and 60kg (I'm 5'4). Given the choice, I actually try to keep a little bit of a fat reserve- I go through bouts of very severe pain when a/ I don't eat at all, and b/ I'm ill from the increased drug doses, and can lose 4-5kg in a week. Very effective method of weight loss actually...shame about how unhealthy it is.

I don't set too much store by BMI- it can be pretty heavily influenced by the proportion of muscle you carry. I am disabled and totally reliant on crutches, so I have a LOT of upper body muscle. As a result, I have a high-normal BMI despite being reasonably slim. (Though that said, my 'weight' is a pretty inaccurate measure anyway, as I carry between 3-6kg worth of oedema fluid in my leg depending on how bad things are!)

Well done to you guys for what you've achieved. Feeling good in yourself is the most important thing of all.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:09 PM
I don't have any weight problems, but I used to when I was a kid, so I'm very self-conscious about my weight.

So I try to have a healthy diet and eat lots of fruits and veggies, which doesn't bother me since I love most of it, and I think most people can enjoy at least a few kinds of veggies. But I do eat cakes, burgers and pizzas from time to time. I just try not to make a daily habit out of it. Still there are some simple rules I follow whatever happens:
- No sugar in drinks : keep that sugar cube away from you tea or coffee at all times, and stay away from sodas, or have a diet one. Sugar in drinks is sneaky, as you absorb calories you don't really realize since you don't even eat them.
- No bread when there already are carbs in your meal, and if you have bread for breakfast / snack / sandwich, opt for brown bread, way healthier than white bread.
- No fries, no mayonnaise; I haven't touched them for years, and I honestly don't miss it at all.
- No added salt, it causes your body to keep water in wrong places and can cause really bad kidney problems. For the taste, add spices instead.
- Try cut off the sugar and fat amounts in little places, the same way you stay away from sugared drinks : fat-free milk, less butter when cooking, less oil in salad sauce... and when you have enough time, cook your own meals instead of buying prepared meals; that way you can control the amount of fat, sugar and salt you put in them, and even replace them when you can (the compote in cakes idea is a really great one!).
- Prepare some healthy snacks in case you're hungry : cut little sticks of raw carrots and cucumbers and store them in the fridge.

And I do sports, but the trick is not to force yourself. For example, I hate running, it bores me to death, so I'm not going to go jogging twice a week to stay healthy. Instead I pratice combat sports which I love. Everybody can find a physical activity they like, there are so many!
- Also try to walk most of the time (well of course if you start work at 7am and it's 1h30 away from your home, don't walk to work), at least for short to medium distances. If you take the bus or car or subway, get off a station or two before your destination (when it's not raining like hell).
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, at least from time to time (like when you're not tired to death and carrying a 12 pound bottled water pack).
- And when you're going to sit, keep your butt a few inches away from the chair for about 15 seconds; 15 seconds of exercise 20 times a day is not negligeable.
- I forgot : if you don't have articulations problems, you can buy some light weights to strap around your ankles or wrists when you go for a walk (find them in sports stores). You'll burn more calories and when you take them off you'll feel like flying!

And of course, sleep well : opposite to what some people think, sleeping less doesn't make you lose weight, juste like skipping meals! Your body needs to respect its cycles, so if you need 8 hours of, get them, even if it means going to bed a little earlier.
#16 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 4:54 PM
there is a trick i use which is good for the environment aswell, when possible walk even if it means spending a little extra time out it helps(like walk in to town unless you live more then 5 milkes away or the weather is horrible or it's a special occassion and you are wearing nice clothes) i walk to school and back every school day, i walk down to the shops for my mum most days i have a abit or running up and down stairs (which i spose helps) but another one is only eat when you are hungry and eat slowly so you can listen to when you are full up then you know you are getting the right amount, it also helps top not give in to your mind (like when it is telling you it wants cola but there is perfectly good juice which you like)

but also on the carbs issue eat complex carbohydrates(like potatoes and bread) rather then energy boosting carbs (like chocolate) complex carbs take longer to digest so you stay satified for longer therefore you don't need to eat as much therefore you lose weight due to not wanting as much food (this is fact as my food teacher said in our food and nutrition lesson on carbs) also complex carbs often contain fibre which is good for the digestive system and helps prevent nasty disease (also stay away from pringles tehy have appitie enhancers and they are full of calories ect.)
Theorist
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 7:57 PM
I work out 5 times a week for about 2 hours, my problem is though so many people tell me Im to skinny Im 5'9 and 130 pounds I dont think Im to skinny but my friends "joke" that Im anorexic sometimes cause I dont eat alot like I should and I drink about a gallon of water each day,but back to the topic besides the working out I eat healthy stuff I eat salads more then anything and I just do stuff during the day and that really helps so many people sit around on a computer and wonder why they get fat just do something other then sit around.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#18 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 6:37 AM
Very good thread in my opinion! What gets me is that you order vegetables at a restaurant and it comes in bowl of oils and grease-like fluids. In some places, "steamed ___" does not mean the "traditional steamed" (more like boiled in a watery soup of cooking oils and butter) or "fresh ___" means "fresh out of the can." I have even heard a story of a woman whose diet of mostly vegetables was ruined (she gained weight) by what the vegetables were cooked in where she ate. So, sometimes eating healthy (or in this case "semi-healthy"?) is not always enough. I agree with TwoHorses about the "do not make promises or goals you cannot keep" idea. I have not had V8 in years. I did not hate it, but it was not something I would drink often. But, my tastes have changed, so I might like it more now. :shrug:

I am not an expert, but I would suggest finding a healthy snack that does not do any harm if you fill up on (e.g. carrots, bananas, celery, etc.). Sorry if my post was ordered slightly randomly.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 7:21 AM
Well since I can't go anywhere I'm a prisoner in my own home where I live it's like hell, My mom her back is bad out of shape and can barley move around the house so I:
Eat when i only get hungry,
Blast my music and jump around everywhere for 6 hours. :blinks: Go on laugh at me.
Sprint around the house err appartment.
I should drink more water my body retains too much of it though and makes me looked like a balloon my face is round already and I don't need it to be anymore round.
I brush my teeth right after I eat so 3 times a day and sometimes 4 times a day because I brush them after breakfast, Lunch, Dinner/dessert and right before I go to bed for I'd say 7 minutes yes my teeth are sparkly white I don't smile because I need braces. The only time I smile is when I laugh.
I wash my face 2 times a day with clean and clear sensitive skin wash off cream and nuetrogena or however you spell it the bar soap and a facial scrup.
I shower everyday wash my hair 4 times (again OCD falls into that spot)
My favourite fruits are: Grapes, Peaches, Oranges, Bananas, and Cantalope.
I also like to just randomly say things I don't care what it's about just say things that pop out of your head (relieves stress) like I'll just say something in Russian or English like it can be quiet and I would say something like "Hopsky" just a funny word and I'll laugh, laughter is the #1 medicine.
I like to sing which is actually healthy for your vocal cords to make it stronger everytime and surprisingly I'm good so from what people have said they may be kidding I don't know (My dad's side and mom's side can sing dad's side are more powerful voices mom's side more softer and kind of country).
I do 50 jumping jacks everynight.
So you think I'm healthy? :P
Instructor
#20 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 7:36 AM
When I was skinny it was because I was always too busy to eat. When I was able to fit it into my hectic schedule I stayed away from fast food and soda, and I limited the dairy and carbs I ate. I didn't get rid of them, I just ate them in moderation. I think the vitamins every morning might have helped. Oh, and my only mode of transportation was my bicycle, which didn't get me where I needed to be as fast as I needed so I was always racing around town on it. :P
Inventor
#21 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 8:37 AM
MSD, you're spot on about the vegetables. The last time I ate out and ordered steamed vegetables, I ended up with what was obviously a frozen mixed veg pack thrown into the microwave and served with melted butter...

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Field Researcher
#22 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 11:33 AM
I used to be very focused on my weight. Right after I left high school I would do at least 80 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and that would allow me to eat however much of whatever I wanted and remain slim and trim.

Now that I don't have time to do that sort of regime, I try to eat healthier and smarter. When I settled down with my partner I gained A LOT of weight. About 4 months ago I managed to lose 5 kilos (11 pounds) in 2 weeks by eating healthier and doing 30 minutes of cardio. Then work stepped up and I didn't have time for the gym. Thankfully I haven't gained back the weight, but I haven’t been exercising at all. This month I went vegetarian and lost a further 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) in 2 weeks. Even though I’m vege, I still eat just as much – I substitute meat with other nutritious things.

[edit] I just wanted to add that I stopped gaining weight when I stopped snacking on junk food between meals (I didn't realise I was doing it until I started keeping a food diary) and I try to drink 1 litre (approx 34 oz) of water each day.

Please call me Ace
Inventor
#23 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 9:18 PM
Eat fibers for breakfast.

And not the cornflake fibers. But the kind of stuff you find in real brown bread, or rye bread. Gets your system working.

Well I eat vegan half of the week since my roomies are vegans. I take my bike wherever I have to go in the city(But well I am dutch.. so.. moot point) but lets say that I bike 5 miles at least on a daily basis. And weigh 61 kilos with a height of 1 meter and 69 centimeter. Not too fat, not too slim.

So I guess healthy food, vegetables and normal excercise must work. I must say I am maybe lucky for only likeing the taste of very dark chocolate and only a small piece every once in a while. I'm not really a sweettooth.

Thereby, not everybody has to be modellish slim. Just make sure you feel comfortable in your body. I like a bit of love handles myself, just as long as it's not dangerous for your health.
#24 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 12:34 AM
I am skinny and I WAS underweight but I gained the pounds, teehee. Here is what I would usually do (and what I don't do anymore, its too dangerous for my age and my weight right now):

-Eat when hungry
-Eat a snack with a drink instead of a meal ONCE a day
-Drink a LOT of water, its good for you and your skin

~My Advice (I don't do them but I know they'll help)
-Exercise often, do sit-ups, push-ups, run a mile, stretch!
-Sprint around your backyard sometime
-Do you remember what you did in High school P.E.? Middle school P.E.? It still works even if you're an old fart!
-Eat healthy food, like veggies, fruits :D
-And if your BODY IS MADE TO BE CURVY BE CURVY!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 1:08 AM
I think a reason i'm thin is because i'm a natural fidgeter (sp) I stretch, i run up stairs, i mess around with things, but i'm also dead lazy, i love a lie down lol.

I can stay off Chocolate VERY well for a long time, but then i have a binge few weeks or days. What makes me stop? My teeth become very sensative and it becomes a pain to eat and brush etc etc.

Exercise. I hate exercises, i staul it as much as possible, by fidgeting lol. But the execises i do only take 15mins, i can do them at home and i am seing a difference! When exercising you are, or i am always very positive or negative in seing results.
Page 1 of 3