Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blake
Jenny, I was kidding, hence the [/sarcasm] thing. The thing slapped in my face was that McCain cares about our country and Obama doesn't, which is ludicrous to say the least. I called you madame because it made it sound more preposterous! :D! So yes, I agree with you, not with my sarcastic argument/statement.

I'm sorry Blake..hehe....see how easy it is to misconstrude this type of stuff...lol...my apologies.
Advertisement
#52 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 2:35 AM
Obama, just for the purpose of being able to call his wife the Obamamama.
</dumb blonde moment>

Yeah, Obama all the way. Oh, oh, I have a joke about Sarah Palin.

A dentist said to a farmer "What do you think of Sarah Palin?" "Well, I think she's like a post turtle." "A post turtle? what's that?" "Have you ever seen a turtle balancing on the post on its belly? You know it's not supposed to be there, you know that it didn't get there by itself, and you know that whoever put it there must be really stupid."

For all you anti-Sarah Palins out there. Lolz :P

I'm so bad at politics. =) -pokes Canada-
#53 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alliemarie2323
I know he probably didn't, as I didn't say he did. I said he was buddies with the guy who did.

I am really interested in your source for this information. Could you please provide one?
Banned
#54 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 6:45 AM
They are referring to Bill Ayers.

An excerpt from the the wiki on Mr Ayers:
Quote:
Ayers participated in the bombings of New York City Police Headquarters in 1970, the United States Capitol building in 1971, and The Pentagon in 1972, as he noted in his 2001 book, Fugitive Days. Because of a water leak caused by the Pentagon bombing, aerial bombardments during the Vietnam War had to be halted for several days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_ayers

At the time of the bombings, Obama would've been somewhere between 8-11 years of age. So him being friends with the guy doesn't have anything to do with anything, given Obama is 47 years old now, so that being said someone can change within 30 years give or take a few. Mr Ayers could very well be very very different now than he was in the 70's, especially considering he is a professor at the university of illinois, in chicago.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 6:50 AM
From that same Wikipedia article, at the top:
Quote:
The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see the discussion on the talk page. (September 2008)
Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved.
Banned
#56 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 6:59 AM
Yes that is true but what I quoted were bombings that he was involved with.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politi...ayers18.article
Forum Resident
#57 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 7:20 AM
I don't want to get trapped into the position of defending Bill Ayers, because I don't care about him or his problems. But "involved" is a rather vague word. I went to the wiki site looking for a source that would elaborate on that, and all I found was a link to a book without text quotes or page referrals. The Suntimes article, also, does not elaborate on what "involved" means. From what I do know, from listening to CNN over the last few months, he never killed anybody but destroyed property, recklessly, and was never convicted for anything.

He could be Charlie Manson for all I know, but since there is a thinly-veiled political attempt to link him to Obama somehow (who was eight years old), and then suggest that makes Obama a terrorist by association, it would be nice to be more specific than that.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 10:25 AM
It's called grasping at straws, afais.

Post turtle! *sporfle*
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 9:18 PM
So I am curious, do you all think the VP debate tonight will affect the race? does it really matter at this point? or does it really matter because of John McCain's age? I don't remember such an emphasis before. I'm not sure about it, it won't change my vote or mind I am afraid...I would actually rather see more of the actual two main guys...seems more important to me, I really don't want to listen to Palin attack Biden (she seems to like to do that) the attack part I mean or listen to Biden talk forever..(good thing they are timed) or we going to be surprised and it be a clean debate and uneventful?
Banned
#60 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 9:53 PM
I have a strange feeling there will be some entertainment during the debate tonight, whether it's Biden yammering on or Palin spouting nonsense is yet to be seen. I think it will affect the race because people actually aren't taking a look at the VP nominees which I don't remember happening to this magnitude in my lifetime but I could be wrong. It shall be an interesting watch, I'm wanting to see really how well scripted the McCain campaign got Palin, maybe she might stick to the script and not spout off nonsense like her qualifications of foreign policy(which by what she stated in that interview I definitely have more foreign policy experience than her).
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 10:01 PM
Well I have no doubts foreign policy will come up for sure....I think if Biden just sticks to the facts she may very well dig her own hole....he needs to just keep it simple...tehn again they could both do very well...i think Republicans love her regardless and Democrats don't and independents are still confused....so tonights debate could really affect them and the single women and older american they are still trying to focus on.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
But then you could also say that Joe Biden is far more qualified for the Presidential slot than Obama is, as well. That is what you liberals have such a hard time accepting...The Republican ticket has the experience on top, and the inexperience on the bottom, and the Democratic ticket has the inexperience on top, and the experience on bottom. Sarah Palin isn't running for President. John McCain is. Compare John McCain's experience to that of Obama. The only way the two tickets could equal out on the experience issue is if Biden and Obama swapped positions, with Biden for President, and Obama as VP. As I have stated before, the Vice President should not be more qualified to hold the Presidency than the President is, and that is exactly what we will have if Obama wins. If you have an inexperienced candidate, they need to be on the bottom of the ticket, not the top.

You make an excellent point here.

I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about politics, but for the most part I hold conservative views so I will probably be voting for John McCain. Well, I suppose the more accurate statement would be that I am not going to vote for Barack Obama.

I did not watch the VP debate in its entirety, but from what I did see, Joe Biden's main tactic was bashing McCain's policies/strategies/plans etc. Sarah Palin, for the most part, emphasized the views of the McCain administration, as opposed to bashing Barack Obama. I think this speaks volumes about the type of campaigns both parties are running.

Don't get me wrong, I know there is badmouthing coming from both sides; it just seemed more prominent on the Biden side tonight.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 4:19 AM
hmm, I understood it a bit differently...but I do think they both attached McCain and Obama equally.....Palin, while she held her own, sounded scripted and definitly schooled, but still made some mistakes. I felt Biden was stronger and more lucid (if thats the word), easier to understand. I don't what it is with her but she talks in circles....I could have done without the eye winking...and I'm a cowboy kinda of talk...unprofessional. I think Biden did good, and I like how he nailed her on the "raising a family alone" scenerio, she didn't really have a comeback for that. All in all, I think they both did well, kept it clean, and weren't hostile. I don't feel it will really affect the election much...if you are for Obama/Biden you still are and if you are for McCain/Palin..you still are....the next 2 debates are far more important. Edit to add...she definitly skipped some questions, I guess she learned from her Katie Couric interviews
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jenny
I don't what it is with her but she talks in circles....I could have done without the eye winking...and I'm a cowboy kinda of talk...unprofessional. ...All in all, I think they both did well, kept it clean, and weren't hostile...she definitly skipped some questions, I guess she learned from her Katie Couric interviews

I will agree with you on those observations - I notice she missed the point of several questions entirely. I think I have to hand this one to Joe Biden, even if I am a McCain supporter.
Forum Resident
#65 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 12:46 PM
The early polls show that Biden won it. But I don't think it matters very much at this point. I'm sure it's bad luck to say this (and I'm very superstitious about bad luck) but I can't see any way Obama loses this anymore. At this point, it's only a matter of the point spread.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Doc Doofus
The early polls show that Biden won it. But I don't think it matters very much at this point. I'm sure it's bad luck to say this (and I'm very superstitious about bad luck) but I can't see any way Obama loses this anymore. At this point, it's only a matter of the point spread.

I think you are right Doc, I do think people are plain fed up....and have already made up their minds.
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 9:41 PM
I guess it makes me an elitist, but I found her utterly incoherent. Terrible grammar, misusing and mixing up words all over the place, repeating herself and making speeches instead of answering questions. Obviously she was saying what they had told her to say, without even listening to what was going on. "Increasing taxes! Increasing taxes! Increasing taxes!" ... when Biden had refuted that claim ages ago.

She relied on cuteness - "I'm a hockey mom! *wink* Todd and me know what it's like! Don't give power to the feds! *wink* You third-graders are getting extra credit!" because she has no real qualifications or knowledge. She could be president, people. Honestly.

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
She relied on cuteness - "I'm a hockey mom! *wink* Todd and me know what it's like! Don't give power to the feds! *wink* You third-graders are getting extra credit!" because she has no real qualifications or knowledge. She could be president, people. Honestly.

no Daisie, you are right on the money...lol...I was just trying to be nice....I find her voice grating, like fingernails on a chalkboard....it scares me that people honestly think she is qualified....i just cannot understand....
Mad Poster
#69 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 10:19 PM
I absolutely agree, Daisie. I cringed when she said the word darned- I felt that many of her answers were very conversational and unprofessional. Being casual isn't a bad thing, but certainly not in such a formal, structured setting. She didn't show enough maturity last night, and did anyone else catch how she looked down at almost chuckled at a few of Biden's responses? That just screamed immaturity, and she's just not qualified enough. I can't believe that people are going to seriously consider an unexperienced woman who relies on cutesy answers and slang as a potential president.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#70 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 10:25 PM
The other day I was listening to the radio (I am an Australian in Australia) and they were saying that the majority of the world would vote for Obama over McCain. I haven't really been following the elections, (just what they tell us on the news...which is way too much...seriously...it is another country, but whatever...) but it seems to me that the world is calling for a new face, someone completly and utterly different to Bush. They want new advisors... we want a whole new administration. I would like your opinions on whether we can get this because obviously I don't know much about either party but essentially the election effects every single member of the world so I want to know who is going to do the best for the world, in your opinion
Banned
#71 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 11:36 PM
I hate to be selfish but we don't need someone that is going to help the world right now, we need someone that will help America. America needs help and we(americans) are more than ready to help the rest of the world before ourselves.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Safyre420
I hate to be selfish but we don't need someone that is going to help the world right now, we need someone that will help America. America needs help and we(americans) are more than ready to help the rest of the world before ourselves.

no, you are not being selfish at all.....America needs some help, we need someone who has been there and someone who cares. Our poverty rate, our homeless, the working poor.....our healthcare system.....
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#73 Old 4th Oct 2008 at 4:02 AM
Quote:

As an Aussie, I agree with that. I think a country needs to put itself first, but realisticlly America is still the world's number one superpower. If it wants to remain that, it needs to look at who the best option is to acheive that. The world would vote Obama, but that's because I think the world has seen what Bush (as a Republican) has done in the past eight years. He's destoyed America's reputation. To a lot of people outside America, Obama is the best choice because he is intelligent and charasmatic and he is a very big change from Bush. McCain is the same as Bush, has voted with him 90% of the time and picked a running mate who is exactly the same as Bush.

I can't speak for other countries, but Australia generally goes for the smart leaders. Most people couldn't give a shit if they were able to have a drink with the PM. That would be nice, but if its a choice between someone who is nice and you could get on with, vs someone who is smart but has a stick up their butt, the Australians will go for the smart one every time. The idea that because Palin is nice, that she's pretty and that she represents 'small town America' (with the obvious implication that large town America is worthless) and that therefore makes her qualified for any position of power is one that is utterly alien to a lot of people. We had someone like her in national politics, Pauline Hanson. Take out Pauline's rampant racisim (which Palin hasn't shown any indication of) and you have Palin. Hanson was a very large voice for a while, but was voted out at the next election (she was a member of parliament, no real power) She still insists on sticking around, but most Australians would be horrified at this women representing us on an international level.

Ultimatly America needs to do what is best for itself and to me that is Obama. McCain being elected will pretty much destroy any hope that America has of remaining a super power in years to come. Another four or eight years of what they've had will ruin the country. But hey, you could relate to Palin and isn't that what is important?
Forum Resident
#74 Old 4th Oct 2008 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lauren
Ultimatly America needs to do what is best for itself and to me that is Obama. McCain being elected will pretty much destroy any hope that America has of remaining a super power in years to come. Another four or eight years of what they've had will ruin the country.

That's exactly what has worried me for years. There are huge issues at stake here and there has been a lack of seriousness about them. And the whole Palin thing was just another example of it. We're talking about losing the stature of America that generations of Americans built. We can't afford silliness anymore.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 4th Oct 2008 at 5:14 AM
They are saying that Obama is so far ahead right now that McCAin will have to do some serious work to win the election....I think the last gallup poll I saw was Obama 49%-McCain 42%..I could be wrong though....at this point I am still worried a bit...I got my hopes up in 2004....even though Kerry wasn't the right choice....Doc, if you see this , do you really think he is that much ahead that he could just take it? I guess I feel there is another month and anything could happen at this point.

More questions about McCains Health:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIAN02tlLM

' title='0pt">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIAN02tlLM

'>0pt">http://www.youtube.com/wa...

Page 3 of 14