Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:14 AM
Default The Movie Thread!
There's not much talk of movies here in the media center, so how about a thread devoted entirely to them? What's coming out soon that you're dying to see? What did you just get from Netflix and what did you think about it? Let the discussion begin :D!

Me, I just finished watching Cold Mountain. What a masterpiece of a movie... I don't know if they got Oscars for it, but if they didn't, Nicole Kidman and Jude Law definitely deserved them. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, but it was very poignant. The voice-overs of Ada's letters were touching. Next time I visit a bookstore, I'll need to do some searching for the novel.

What about you? Any recent forays into the world of film that you'd like to share? Share here !

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:21 AM
Hmm... I watched Something's Gotta Give the other night. The one with Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Keanu Reeves (:lovestruc). It's a total guilty pleasure, but I friggin' LOVE that movie. So good...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:24 AM
Oh, I've seen that. I thought it was kind of a dippy romantic comedy- I can only tolerate those movies when one of the parties involved is a hot guy :P. I have a perpetual distaste for Keanu Reeves, though, which might explain why I didn't enjoy it. Could he be any more emotionless and cold? The Lake House was a complete waste of my time, and he ruined the film adaptation of an amazing book, A Scanner Darkly.

Alchemist
#4 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:33 AM
He is emotionless and cold, but damn is he adorable.
I like dippy romantic comedies occasionally.

Ever see Garden State? Amazing movie. Loooved it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:40 AM
Was that the Zach Braff and Mandy Moore movie? They all kind of run together for me. If so, I liked it . If I remember correctly, he directed it... good work.

Alchemist
#6 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 4:41 AM
It was Zach Braff and Natalie Portman.
Yeah, he directed/wrote/starred in it. It was pretty awesome. I know it word for word, basically. I tend to watch the same movies over and over when I have them on dvd...
Scholar
#7 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 9:38 AM
Zach Braff is hilarious, I have to admit, that man has a talent for comedy Must check out Garden State

And Cold Mountain certainly was a beautiful film, sort of a poignant end, though, reminds me of Atonement somewhat.

Anyone watched The Usual Suspects? Love that film :D

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 11:02 AM
Didn't Renee Zellweger just blow you off your chair in Cold Mountain?! Her acting is simply terrific in this movie. Also I love her character's name, Ruby Thewes. It really sounds lovely almost melodic, doesn't it.

About some upcoming movies. I'm dying to see Revolutionary Road and The Soloist. The trailer of the Soloist just looks amazing, and I love Jamie Foxx.

Basically I'm dying to see any Kate Winslet movie and this time she's on screen with Leo again.(ehm...don't think I'm a Titanic fan :yech: ) There isn't a trailer of it yet, but I read the book the movie is based on and I'm just darn curious about it.
#9 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 11:43 AM
I'm really excited for Milk!

Revolutionary Road looks good, I'm also going to see Synecdoche, New York and Valkyrie. Other than that, it looks like I'll be renting for the rest of the year.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 8:24 PM
Isn't Valkyrie the one with Tom Cruise that created all the buzz in Germany about him being banned for his Scientology? So many people hate Tom Cruise, but I find that he's never made a bad movie and I look forward to his future films.

I really want to see The Changeling- it's a true story of a woman whose son is kidnapped and, when the boy is returned to her, she insists that he's an imposter. I'm dying to see Australia, too- Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman together will be EPIC.

Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 8:31 PM
Angelina seems to be so impressive in the Changeling. I mean you can't judge acting by watching a trailer, but the scenes that are shown....wow. Grand dame Streep and Ms. Winslet get strong compitition.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 9:11 PM
Here's the Revolutionary Road trailer in case someone wants to watch it.
I think the trailer is ehh... dumb. Hope they make a second one.
Maybe the movie is that bad, so that this is the best they could make with their material.:umm: (I better change my icon...)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Sep 2008 at 3:58 AM
Just saw Sunshine... I love sci-fi, so I had to get my hands on it. Is Danny Boyle trying to send me into cardiac arrest by combining Chris Evans and Cillian Murphy? My ovaries are tingling . It wasn't a bad movie and the ending was very poignant, but I must admit that a lot of things didn't add up. Read no further if you don't want to be spoiled, but I hated that the stowaway mutant human went psycho and kept trying to kill everyone. Uncool! That was just a great way to spoil the ending, but the effects were killer, and no movie with Cillian and Chris could ever be bad :D.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 6:10 AM
I saw Eagle Eye on Friday!
IT WAS AMAZING

ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 9:32 PM
Eagle Eye looked interesting- I hate Shia Labeouf and typically wouldn't touch his movies with a ten foot pole, but I might be willing to forgo that burning hatred for the sake of the plot. The special effects looked killer, too.

I saw Superhero Movie this weekend- I'm not usually a fan of spoofs, but I enjoyed it. Spoofs are only funny if you enjoyed the originals, and I love comic book movies. Some of it was a little awkward, but what can you expect? The Johnny Storm bit was the best... I lol'ed gratuitously.

Field Researcher
#16 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 8:29 AM
I watched Wall-E yesterday in the movies. (might be a little late, you think,but it opened last thursday in Germany. )
After the huge buzz and all the 'OMG it's the best animated picture EVAAH!!', you heard and read everywere, I thought 'Even if the trailer doesn't show an actual story and looks quite boring, there has to be something great about this movie'.
And now, well it was o.k. but Pixar made more impressive movies (Monster's Inc.*my all time fave:D*, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles or Ratatouille) than Wall-E.
For me it seemed like they desperately wanted to deliver a great message with this movie, that we have to keep our environment clean otherwise we can no longer live on the earth. But they didn't wrap it that well with a touching story like the people of Happy Feet did.
Afterall I don't regret buying the tickets for it, but my first impression of Wall-E got confirmed.
The film's music score was the only actual touching part for me. I love Thomas Newman
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 8:49 AM
WALL-E was a classic for me. It didn't have that much speech, but it was still priceless.

A friend of mine lent me a DVD of The Green Mile, and after watching it, I must say it's an amazing movie. I loved the unique personalities of the prisoners, and the ending almost made me shed a tear. Trust me, this is a movie worth watching. And the novel itself? Haven't gotten myself to reading it, but maybe soon.
#18 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 6:37 PM
Awww,the green mile...I have a while to watch it again....
Whenever I watch it,I can't help but cry...
I remember when I was small, and first watched it,
I got really amused with the scene with the mousey!
But got really confused towards the end...
Now, I know why my parents said it was bed time...
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 6:48 PM
i watched that new movie 'angus thongs and perfect snogging' a couple of weeks ago and i found it funny, when she was in that olive costume "anyone can see i'm a stuffed olive" haha so funny.. and dave the laugh was cuteee

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Scholar
#20 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 7:08 PM
My favourite film of all time - Pan's Labyrinth. If you've not watched it, watch it! Its in Spanish so unless you're pretty fluent you have to read the subtitles, but I love it!
#21 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 7:32 PM
Pan's Labyrinth... Definitely not what I expected, but man, some of those scenes were shocking. The part with the bottle has burned itself into my brain forever, lol.

I only recently watched Garden State and LOVED it. Now I see why everyone goes nuts over Zach Braff. He's a phenomenal storyteller.

My most present-pleasant surprise was Meet Bill. There aren't enough good things to say about it. Dynamic cast, great plot, dry humor and a killer soundtrack. What more can one ask for? It's very quotable, too. My sister will often walk by and quote one line - "Apologize!" - and instantly, the entire movie plays through in my head, and we both start laughing and know exactly what the other is thinking. I've only just relinquished it to Netflix after a few months of repetitive play, heh.
Scholar
#22 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luminous
Pan's Labyrinth... Definitely not what I expected, but man, some of those scenes were shocking. The part with the bottle has burned itself into my brain forever, lol.

The child-eater gave me nightmares for WEEKS. I am not kidding you. I still have to hide behind a pillow when I know that scene is coming up, and I've seen it about 7 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 9:04 PM
Some people have told me that Pan's Labyrinth was disgusting and some people have told me that it's a masterpiece. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. I read reviews that said The Fountain wasn't very good, but I absolutely loved it- one of my favorite movies. The visuals are spectacular and the emotion is just palpable, plus Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz were both fantastic. I highly recommend it... the concept was great and the ending nirvana scene was just breathtaking.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
W
A friend of mine lent me a DVD of The Green Mile, and after watching it, I must say it's an amazing movie. I loved the unique personalities of the prisoners, and the ending almost made me shed a tear. Trust me, this is a movie worth watching. And the novel itself? Haven't gotten myself to reading it, but maybe soon.

For me, The Green Mile was the only movie I've ever watched which was almost exactly like the book. The actors and set perfectly matched the image I had in my mind from the book, which doesn't usually happen!
Forum Resident
#25 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
Some people have told me that Pan's Labyrinth was disgusting and some people have told me that it's a masterpiece.

I had heard it was good so I went to see it in the theater. I am not squimish at all and I'm not bothered by scary movies . . . but omg, I couldn't stand this movie. It was way too intense. I was at the edge of my seat, covering half my face, and my nerves were just fried. I ended up walking out of the theater after the eyeball-hands guy. I never saw the end of it.

I thought it was honestly the scariest and most disturbing thing I've ever seen, but I give the director props. To make me walk out of a movie is a huge accomplishment.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

Page 1 of 6