Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 884 (Who?), Viewed: 166499 times.
Page 36 of 36
Test Subject
#876 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 1:01 AM
Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and James Herbert's The Secret of Crickley Hall. The first is interesting as all heck but a bit stuffy, and the latter seems a bit amateur, what with unrealistic exposition dumps and other peeves of mine... the plot would be really interesting if the writing didn't bother me so much.
Lab Assistant
#877 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 1:58 AM
The Almshouse by Blanche King. The story is very engaging--a ghost story similar to The Lovely Bones. Blanche did a good job creating a separate society of ghosts that are still on Earth.There are laws and barriers for certain things such as moving on to Heaven, and also possessing a living person. Definitely has its flaws. I don't call it scary, but it's an emotional read for me because it touches on death and the afterlife on a personal level.
Mad Poster
#878 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 10:22 PM
I finished Eragon a while ago and recently started reading the second book in the series, Eldest. Quite entertaining.
Scholar
#879 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 7:34 AM
High-Rise.

Quick read, nice little society-breakdown themed novel. I hated every character in it.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Lab Assistant
#880 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 10:53 PM
Just finished Into Thin Air. About to start The Man Who Ate Everything.

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Dancing Flamingo
staff: administrator
#881 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 12:22 AM
Scholar
#882 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 8:21 PM
Just finished reading Reality Boy by A.S. King

4/5 the ending, for me was a little rushed, but overall an enjoyable story.
Bug Finder
staff: administrator
#883 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 9:12 PM Last edited by PharaohHound : 29th Jan 2016 at 9:24 PM.
Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman a couple days ago. Lovely little book, great characters.

Currently listening to the audiobook of David Copperfield. Not too far into it. As with other Dickens I've read, very easy (for that time period) and fantastic descriptions and good (albeit somewhat moralized) characters. This Steerforth kid is insufferable so far.

Halfway through The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It's a very enjoyable story so far (well, "enjoyable" would be a stretch for that one very gruesome scene, but otherwise yes), but I'm not sure if the deeper themes are sitting well with me. Will have to see how the rest goes, should be done in another week if I keep up the current pace

For re-reads, Anna Karenina has not gotten much attention lately, but golly I love this book. It's much better the second time, too, since I don't have to struggle with remembering the characters. I love Stepan so much. Also working my way through Beowulf translated by Seamus Heaney again.

On my "to-read" shelf I've got (in no particular order) Night by Elie Weisel, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Need to pick up some more Doestoyevsky (looking at The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov and Notes From the Underground).

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr | | Build a Resort contest
Banned
#884 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 4:16 AM
Nothing right now though I am doing a Goodreads year round challenge. I'm two books behind right now. Though when I go to work i do bring my tote of paperbacks with me.
Test Subject
#885 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 7:12 PM
i'm currently working my way through the 'required reading' to be able to understand and enjoy reading ulysses by james joyce - most books i pirate straight to my kindle, but i went and brought a physical copy of this mammoth as encouragement to start reading the greeks and joyce's other works. not that i ended up really needing it - i'm over halfway through mythology by edith hamilton and am absolutely loving it and cannot wait to get onto reading homer's iliad and odyssey.

i'm actually ahead on the goodreads challenge this year! my goodreads doesn't have many books since i've only really just started reading properly this year and i cherry-picked the books i added so it'd give me decent recommendations, but here is my goodreads profile.
Page 36 of 36