Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 786 (Who?), Viewed: 148233 times.
Page 32 of 32
Lab Assistant
#776 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 5:49 PM
I was reading "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
It's very good.
Instructor
#777 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 5:54 PM
Just received The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky in the post. Excited to start reading

This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.
Theorist
#778 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 4:13 AM
The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber.

Without music, life would be a mistake. - F. Nietzsche
Theorist
#779 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 4:58 AM
Entertaining Satan: Witchcraft and the Culture of Early New England by John Demos.

Forum Resident
#780 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 6:16 AM
"The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau- it's a sociopolitical look at how different regions of North America are aligned into distinct power structures. (I'm a nerd) Basically, he breaks the continent into nine distince blocs, or nations: New England (obvious), The Foundry (mostly the Rust Belt), Dixie (the old South), The Islands (South Florida & the Carribean), MexAmerica (Northern Mexico and most of the Desert Southwest), Ecotopia (The Pacific coast between San Francisco and Anchorage), The Empty Quarter (The Rocky Mountains and Canadian Shield), The Breadbasket (The Great Plains), and Quebec (duh). It's from the early 80's, so it's definitely dated at points, but it holds up remarkably well- kind of lends even more credibility to his ideas.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Field Researcher
#781 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 8:50 AM
A translated copy of Henry Dore's Chinese Customs. It has a fair amount of colonial condescension in it since it was originally published in 1911, but it's interesting to see the aspects of Chinese folk religion that are rarely practiced in the modern age such as wearing anklets with bells on them.

The practice of offering paper items, prayers, and conducting spirit vessels to the underworld still lives on, updated with paper electronics and all.

Avatar model: Prudence Norimi Arnold
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Where it all began.
I proofread stuff.
Lab Assistant
#782 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 7:30 PM
Uuh...a Dutch translation of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. Thought I'd try reading it again, see if I like it more than when I read it the first time. So far I still prefer books 2 and 3 over it.
In French class I'm reading Un Secret by Philippe Grimbert. I hate it. HATE IT. I know what I'll NOT be writing about during the exam!
Theorist
#783 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 4:00 AM
Entertaining Satan turned out to be disappointing. There were interesting stories about people who were accused of being witches, but then he started analyzing everything in Freudian terms which seemed very old fashioned.
Now I'm reading Townie by Andre Debus III - a memoir I got at a book sale.

Theorist
#784 Old 11th Dec 2014 at 8:21 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 19th Dec 2014 at 1:40 AM.
Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys by Viv Albertine. It's good -
"Halfway through the show, Bowie climbed into the audience. I don't know where he picked that up from, no one else I'd seen did that. None of us got it though, we didn't realise you were supposed to lift him up and carry him along, everyone parted politely, thought he was off to the bog or something, and he fell on the floor, it was embarrassing. The gig wasn't very crowded, so there weren't enough people to do it anyway. He got up and walked around a bit. I leaned against the stage, trying to see where he'd gone, but the lights were in my eyes. Then I felt a hand grip my shoulder and Bowie heaved himself up on me. I nearly buckled - I wasn't expecting it, I didn't know what was happening. He climbed over me to get back on stage, kneeing me in the chest and treading on my head with his silk boxing boot - he didn't care - he just had to get back up. He's not as dainty as he looks."

12/18 - Now reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.

Inventor
#785 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 7:51 AM
I'm starting Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I've heard so many amazing things about it so I'm really excited. I also just got Foreplay (yep that's the title) by Sophie Jordan and Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning, so I could decide to read either of those first. And I'm working my way through My Mad Fat Diary by Rae Earl, which is good but it's not a novel so it's not plot driven or as fast paced and all that. I also still have Atlantia by Ally Condie from the library, but it's gotten such bad reviews I don't know that I'll bother...too bad I can't return it for a few weeks.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Field Researcher
#786 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 10:33 AM
I just finished The Line Of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst. I only chose it because it was on sale and I knew it was about the LGBT community in the '80s in England, but honestly I would give it a 5/10. It is beautifully written, no doubt on that, but it's also very depressing. I'm tired of reading of gays that are never meant to experience a regular relationship and die of AIDS. Plus, I'm sorry if you're from Britain (I don't really want to feed stereotypes), but the British obsession for politeness this book perspires is just overwhelming. There are literally two lines of dialogue followed by two pages about the protagonist's paranoid thoughts on what he and his interlocutor said. Like literally:
"Good morning."
"Oh, isn't it a nice day."
And then two pages about him wondering why he didn't say "good morning" as well, "maybe I sounded rude", "I don't want to give them the wrong impression" "but is it actually a good day" "what did they truly mean when they wished me a good morning" "maybe they found out I'm hiding coke in the wardrobe" all this sort of extremely annoying paranoid stuff. At least, I found it annoying, maybe someone will think it's the best part.

Right now I'm reading Amityville Horror by Jay Anson and let's just say... It's probably the worst book I've ever read. Looks like a 11-year old wrote it. Full of unnecessary exclamation marks trying to create suspense. I'd choose the movie over the book a million times.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Theorist
#787 Old Yesterday at 1:19 AM
Still re-reading the 'Dresden files' by Jim Butcher. On 'Dead Beat' now.
Page 32 of 32

Section jump