Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heavenzdvl987
How do you even know what their favorite food is if you don't control them? Do you just have to stare at the conversation bubbles while they chat?

Yup, exactly. Sucks when I get this for a good/old friend sim since the Get to Know interaction is no longer present in their radial menu and it doesn't seem to keep track of this info in their relationship portrait like traits/partner/etc.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AnnaIME
Both my females got everyday maternity clothes in their favourite colour. I don't know if it's coincidence though, I have only had two pregnancies.

Doesn't the maternity wear switch, though?

First day of pregnancy, the girl is wearing one piece of clothing, the next day, because she progresses through her pregnancy, she's wearing another.
Test Subject
#28 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissLynn22
mangaroo - I would not be surprised if the Prima Guide WAS wrong. It gave a list of cheats that were totally worthless and not recognised by the game. So, it's not too off base to suggest that it gave false information.

I'd agree,

I have the guide and there are some discrepancies in some spots... I have found that the bait for fish in the guide is not the same as what is described in the Skills Journal when your at max fishing and know all the baits.

That's just one but I have bumped into others also that I can't think of right now... So... yeah... Prima guide is just that, a guide... not a guru. and we all know that guides are dispensable. Just look at any good Amazon jungle themed movie from the 60's :D

**don't drink from the mainstream**
Field Researcher
#29 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
Yup, exactly. Sucks when I get this for a good/old friend sim since the Get to Know interaction is no longer present in their radial menu and it doesn't seem to keep track of this info in their relationship portrait like traits/partner/etc.

You can also use deep conversation if their good friends or best friends not sure which and then they seem to debate stuff. Like, my girl's favorite music was classical and my dude's fav. was electronica and when I used deep conversation she would talk about classical music(have the little picture over her head) and then he would talk about electronica and that's how I found out his favorite music before they moved in together.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:58 AM
How do you even know what their favorite food is if you don't control them? Do you just have to stare at the conversation bubbles while they chat?

Also, I think it's totally pointless there's "Aqua" and "Turquoise", they look almost identical.

I have no clue. I thought the same thing. LOL

My sim kept getting the wish to cook AJ Alvi's favorite food, I had no idea what it was, I went through all the options trying to ask AJ what his favorite food was and couldn't find anything. I ended up switching families so I could see what his favorite food was. I went back to my sim, he invited AJ over and started to make his favorite meal (sushi). AJ had to leave before he was done and never ate a bite of it but my sim still got the points and fulfilled his stupid wish.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Up until quite recently (past 60 years or so), the pink/blue colour thing for boys and girls was not near like it is now. In fact, for quite a while, it was the opposite: pink was for boys, since it's a derivative of red, a passionate colour associated with blood, and blue was for girls, because of its association with the virgin mary. So your little boy can happily like pink all he wants.

*giggle*

~Hold tenderly that which you cherish~
Test Subject
#32 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:33 AM
It probably has no use in game, but since for most of the time I design my own houses, I usually coordinate the colours of the rooms to the sim using them. Usually gives me some kind of guideline to decorating rooms, because as the stereotypical male, I have a difficult time colour-coordinating things...
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:36 AM
I'm thinking it makes relationships begin better, just as they do when similar traits are found. If when you talk about your favorite colors or favorite music, they're the same, my guess is that the relationship starts out better.

It clearly does when sims are found to have the same traits as yours have.
Inventor
#34 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KGirl
I'm thinking it makes relationships begin better, just as they do when similar traits are found. If when you talk about your favorite colors or favorite music, they're the same, my guess is that the relationship starts out better.

It clearly does when sims are found to have the same traits as yours have.

Yeah, but sharing any similar traits does not always make a sim desire a romantic relationship with another sim. My current sim shares absolutely no things in common with the person he's in love with and yet he shows no romantic interest (wishes) towards anyone else in town but this one, supposed to be incompatible, person.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu
Yeah, but sharing any similar traits does not always make a sim desire a romantic relationship with another sim. My current sim shares absolutely no things in common with the person he's in love with and yet he shows no romantic interest (wishes) towards anyone else in town but this one, supposed to be incompatible, person.

I'm not talking romantically. I am talking about when you use "get to know" or in whatever other way traits get revealed, if both sims have "Perfectionist" (for example) it autonomously does "Talk about shared traits," which bumps up a relationship quite a bit if there are a couple of those. I've also seen sims with the same favorite color have that come up in that action, which is why I'm of the opinion it has that effect.
Test Subject
#36 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:48 AM
I don't think if you paint/decorate your house with a sim's favorite color, it will get the moodlet "Beautiful Vista", because my sim get the moodlet in the house I built with various colors...

So besides having something to talk with other sims, I don't think the favorite color does anything else.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by -StarrY-
I don't think if you paint/decorate your house with a sim's favorite color, it will get the moodlet "Beautiful Vista", because my sim get the moodlet in the house I built with various colors...

So besides having something to talk with other sims, I don't think the favorite color does anything else.

Yep ..... "Beautiful Vista" is something entirely different, it is pre-stocked/flagged/whatever on select lots.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 6:11 AM
It's probably something to make users feel like they can customize their sims, convo topics, that's it. To make the game seem better when it's NOT. BECAUSE EA=THE EVILSAUCE.

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 8:38 AM
Also, I think it's totally pointless there's "Aqua" and "Turquoise", they look almost identical.

T.T Not pointless... I like Aqua and *hate* Turquoise in RL lol! so therefore would want to make sure I pick aqua over the latter for my sims XD call me weird if you must!
Test Subject
#40 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 10:48 PM
By my experience, favorite color has done nothing for me. The others, on the contrary, did wonders.

If your sim can hear music matching their favorite, their mood increase is larger than that of what it would be, should the music be something else.

If your sim eats a meal that is their favorite, I believe they also receive an increase in the mood bonus, according to the quality. I also believe they are better at preparing this type of meal. I cannot confirm either at the moment. I seem to remember it though.

Do not revolve around my memory though. That would be awful.

And I believe I read elsewhere that your hunger gains much faster while eating your favorite meal, alas, that would only be crucial to time stressed, non-astronaut sims, unlike mine.

Cheers, -Lawhorn

I Am A Soldier

I am a soldier.
My blood permeates the soil of many countries.

I have gasped my last breath on many a desolate
stretch of beach. For you...all of you, the children
who play in the parks, the mothers who watch over them,
the fathers who struggle to sustain them.
Test Subject
#41 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 2:41 PM
I just have to say that when I saw Mrs. Crumplebottom's signature which is:

Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide

I nearly wet myself laughing!

It is so true!
Inventor
#42 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 2:46 PM
This thread has been dead for over a year. The purpose of this resurrection was...what exactly?

kittens!
Theorist
#43 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 4:04 PM
I noticed they don't really do anything. If I decorate their homes with their fave colour, I get the positive deco moodlet - forgot the name. If I decorate without their fave colours I get the same moodlet so I don't see an impact either way.

On another note, I noticed that astrological signs don't do anything either.... or maybe it's just me. I don't even know why they brought them back. Does anyone else notice that astrological signs impact their simmies? What does it do?
Scholar
#44 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
On another note, I noticed that astrological signs don't do anything either.... or maybe it's just me. I don't even know why they brought them back. Does anyone else notice that astrological signs impact their simmies? What does it do?

It has been explained somewhere. There is a new Interaction to talk about the sign somewhere. And if they are matching, it gives a relationship boost. Not more. In general they are pointless.
Inventor
#45 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 7:13 PM
If you have the architecture profession, and you know your client's favorite color, and decorate their home accordingly, you get paid more.
Eminence Grise
#46 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 11:24 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 16th Nov 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Purity4
If you have the architecture profession, and you know your client's favorite color, and decorate their home accordingly, you get paid more.

Do you have soem evidence of that, Purity4? I believe that knowing your client's favorite color might help -- the game can easilyt test for that. Recognizing that that color has been used in the decor is another matter entirely.

For a computer program to recognize two colors as the "same" if they don't have IDENTICAL RGB values is a non-trivial problem.

Remember that the Sims is an international game... and different languages and cultures divide up the color spectrum into color terms/concepts differently. For instance, two shades which are both definitely "blue" in English correspond to two different color words in Chinese, whereas (some shades of) English "blue" would be conflated in Chinese with (some shades of) "green" under one term. While it's true that there are some very interesting universal tendencies and correlations related to color naming, there is nonetheless not a universal equivalence (Wikipedia's article on this is surprisingly good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingui...r_naming_debate ). So two simmers from different countries might disagree about whether a chair was the same color as the Sim's favorite, or not.

Plus, of course, even speakers of the same language from the same culture don't always agree about the edges of color categories: whether a reddish-orangish hue is red or orange. And this will be further impacted by game lighting and the individual characteristics of the player's computer monitor.

Also, remember that objects in Sims 3 are not a single color. A CAST scheme for an object can have 16 color dots in it, and when they're combined as a pattern, the eye may not see even one of those colors as a "pure" color component (particularly in the case of fabrics and woods, which mostly use an HSV model for color rather than the RGB model, so that the colors you see in the pattern are often shifted from the input colors).

In the context of the Sims, of course, there is a solution that could perhaps have been implemented: a page of the color selection area in CAST that allows you to pick from the exact swatches which we see in the "favorite color" chooser. Then you'd stand a chance of getting an exact RGB match between (part of) the pattern and a possible "favorite". You could at least count up how many of the color dots correspond to the sim's favorite.

For that to be possible, though, the gameplay code would have to be able to see inside the CAST patterns for objects. I have no idea how realistic that is from a coding point of view.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 5:39 AM
Faves:
Food: great meal moodlet anytime eaten and 15 or so points higher.
Music = moodlet higher. autonomously play it if near a radio. ( I'd not read anything about the gardening thing, but sounds cool)
Color: Beautiful vista = higher. And I think it serves for good decorating inspiration. Allows you to keep from using the same colors over and over cuz they're the ones YOU like. I've been guilty of this.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/lolipopsims
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 9:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NickeyElysse
Color: Beautiful vista = higher. And I think it serves for good decorating inspiration.

So how do I decorate a house in spiceberry when I can't select that specific colour?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#49 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 10:54 AM
Definitive answer: Favorite color has no functional value. It occasionally appears as a discussion topic, but sims do not actually have vision and cannot see what color their surroundings are. No mechanism exists for retrieving the color of an object or piece of clothing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#50 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
So how do I decorate a house in spiceberry when I can't select that specific colour?
Not at all, because I'm sure that what the above poster said is a myth, especially with regard to the "Beautiful Vista" moodlet. And I'm not entirely sure about the favourite food thing either.
Page 2 of 3