Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#26 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 9:41 PM
Lewis, I agree, I don't think the quirks of an insane sim represent insanity at all. Honesty, bluntness, perhaps socially awkward or simply non-conformist, but I wouldn't call any of those things insane. In fact, I would consider them all positive qualities of someone I would want for my sim's friend. The negative moodlets resulting from such interactions are just wrong.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 4:03 PM
Schizotypal: Loner, Insane, Inappropriate, Eccentric (?)
Dependant: Childish, Easily Impressed, Loser, Schmoozer

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 1-ceth
Honestly, I find it surprising that someone hasn't posted and said "Making fun of mental disorders isn't funny."
But I have several, including ADHD, but if someone can make a joke that isn't the same "Ooh a butterfly," and it's funny then I'll laugh.

I agree--they say laughter is the best medicine, and it's so, so true. I have lupus(not a mental disorder, but depression is guaranteed), and I know I would not be coping at all if I couldn't laugh at myself.

On a related note... illness(besides various neuroses) isn't a part of the Sims 3 at all. Granted, I doubt EA would add it, ever. It's a fact of life, but it would be considered too much of a faux pas, I think. But it's something to ponder, how illness is largely ignored in popular culture.

I'd say clinical(or biological) depression would include over-emotional.

While Bipolar would be pretty much impossible to simulate as the game is, borderline personality disorder could be characterized in-game as excitable and grumpy. There's that whole idealization and devaluation that isn't really a cyclical thing.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 12:34 AM
Bipolar: Good*, Mean Spirited* (or Evil* and Friendly*), Grumpy, Good Sense of Humor, Over-Emotional
Xenophobic: Loner, Neurotic, Hates the Outdoors, Any, Any

*Found it funny that these traits don't conflict. Anyone care to make a House sim? x)

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Forum Resident
#30 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 1:58 PM
I don't know if these are mental disorders, but there must be something wrong with you if you have either of these:

Paedophile: Childish/Family-Oriented, Inappropriate, Flirty, X, X
Sociopath: Mean Spirited, Perfectionist, Friendly/Schmoozer, X, X

Go suck an elf...
Banned
#31 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by brillo_pad
Paedophile: Childish/Family-Oriented, Inappropriate, Flirty, X, X

YIKES.

Then again, it is horrifyingly easy to make that happen in TS2. Doubly so if you know your way around SimPE and SDSCs.

Inventor
#32 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 10:11 PM
I think what is fun about traits is that no matter how bad the combo is, its never as bad as real life.

Briggs and Aspergers's both have some savantism, mine is mechanical and *shrug* language. I was once described as the perfect computer tech because I can talk anyone through anything blind, (but that comes from haveing been blind). I have never agreed that I am autistic because I am way to social and empathetic to be autistic and could charm from a very early age.

I am a loner but not dramatic in RL, though its fun to play with in the game. I can be cruel but am not mean spirited. I am neither good nor evil but can be a little shy. I have a great sence of humor and love to make people snort milk out their noses with suprised laughter. I love to charm people into agreeing with me and usually dont take no for an answer until the third one. I am the type that washes her hands 7 to 8 times a day, and love to fix things.

I dont think that anyone fits into neat little lables that medical people make up, but diversity is what makes each of us wonderful. It helps us be just a little different from everyone else.
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 3:00 PM
OMG its been 37 months since someone posted
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 3:56 PM
.. You necro'd a thread just to say THAT? Shame on you.
Alchemist
#35 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellaucer

Get outta here. This is getting irritating. And the posts are starting to get irksome.

Just call me Nikel
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#36 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 4:31 PM
April 2014 is the month where April Fool Day lasts for 720 hours, didn't you know?
Scholar
#37 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 4:57 PM
A sim with anorexya could have the never nude trait.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellaucer

Are you a fucking idiot? Why the hell does that warrant a necro? Jesus Christ.
Inventor
#39 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
A sim with anorexya could have the never nude trait.

I usually give them the perfectionist and neurotic traits and for extra difficulty make them mermaids, the never ending hunger and need to swim (exercise), absent minded and hot-headed is good too.

Schizophrenia can be portrayed by an imaginary friend and the insane trait.

Necroing old threads is a major pain in the behind, but I like the topic of this one.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StupidFlanders
Necroing old threads is a major pain in the behind, but I like the topic of this one.

Me too.

I've been treated for clinical depression, generalized anxiety and insomnia... and my self-sim has these traits: brooding, perfectionist, neurotic, unflirty, light sleeper.

Neurotic, light sleeper, perfectionist - describe my heavily anxious side ("Freak out" self-interaction is identical to my panic attack reactions ). Perfectionist and neurotic together are great to portray obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is form of anxiety disorder, actually..

Brooding (my personal favorite!) - describes my deeply philosophical, often nihilistic, dark side, prone to depression . I really am slower at everything I do, I bet it even took me more time to write this post than someone else would need to write whole essay . It highlights my introversion, the way I perceive social situations and conflicts... And always boosts my mood when I "Contemplate the Meaning of Meaning" in RL . It's also great to describe that other form of hypersensitivity, the one over-emotional doesn't cover.

Unflirty - self-explanatory. I'm over 25 years old, I have both romantic and emotional relationships behind me, but it still feels awkward when someone approaches me as a potential mate and a sexual being. It's probably a form of social anxiety, though I'm not shy in every meaning of that word, mostly I just can't stand flirting. By the way, for social anxiety disorder - shy, unflirty, socially awkward and loner go great together.

Other traits that can represent symptoms of depression are Hates the Outdoors, Over-Emotional, Unlucky, Couch Potato, and others I probably can't remember. Unstable (from ITF), can be part of sim-like cyclothymic temperament (prone to manic depression, for example). Unstable and insane, I supose, are suitable for those who experience all sorts of psychosis (loss of contact with reality).
Test Subject
#41 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 7:28 PM
Nice ideas and tips.
But aren't sims already enough caricatured with their reactions. Wouldn't that be seen as some distortions in their behavior.

What traits, would you give this girl?
One Minute Ninja'd
#42 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dambi
What traits, would you give this girl?

Traits? Hell, I'd give her a Glock. With that video, no jury would ever convict her.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 8:55 PM
Ahaha that video!!

"Look what you've done!"

If she didn't have a 'mental syndrome' before, she sure does now lol.
Test Subject
#44 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 9:04 AM
I tried my best for this one but how about anorexic: Shy or socially Awkward unflirty vegetarian
Test Subject
#45 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Astrognash
Actually, I'd suggest not putting daredevil for ADHD. I have ADHD, and, well, I do not take extreme showers.

xD I have adhd too, and besides not taking extreme showers, im just not a daredevil in general.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 7:39 AM
Death The Kid - grade OCD: Neurotic, Insane, Hothead, Perfectionist, Over-emotional.

Martin Luther - style OCD: Good, Neurotic, Good Sense of Humor, Perfectionist, and possibly Bookworm or Rebel.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 9:20 PM
Honestly, empathy in regards to Aspergers varies. I took a test and it says I scored a 63 out of 80 in Empathy. Most people score maybe a 47 or so, though if you're on the spectrum it's "supposed" to be around 20, which is interesting. I've been diagnosed since I was 12, so I guess I prove tests can be wrong, if too biased.

Empathy has nothing to do with social skills. That's the "secret" of the spectrum. Shhhhhh.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 11:02 PM
Gotta agree on the 'absent-minded' for ADD. As an adult-sufferer, it is definitely a thing.

And I swear if I don't give my Sims jobs, they fall naturally into my sleep disorder, which would require some bastardized version of allowing both heavy sleeper and light sleeper at the same time if you wanted to do it with traits
Spice Pony
#49 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VegaBlack
"Tobias Funke" syndrome

ETA: The neurotic trait is quite effective for OCD, my neurotic sims often roll wants to check the stove and brush their teeth 3 times.

I'm inclined to agree. I have OCD as a symptom of a tic disorder (probably Tourette's, but I don't know for sure; the diagnosis could be paraphrased as "Yeah, you've sure got something, all right…"), and on the rare occasions that I make a self-sim, I'm always sure to give the neurotic trait, as it functions as a very rough emulation of whatever I've got. There's something familiar about my sims going across the house in the middle of the night for the third time in a row for some insane and utterly pointless reason.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ewenk7
I'm inclined to agree. I have OCD as a symptom of a tic disorder (probably Tourette's, but I don't know for sure; the diagnosis could be paraphrased as "Yeah, you've sure got something, all right…"), and on the rare occasions that I make a self-sim, I'm always sure to give the neurotic trait, as it functions as a very rough emulation of whatever I've got. There's something familiar about my sims going across the house in the middle of the night for the third time in a row for some insane and utterly pointless reason.

I do that too, but it's a manifestation of anxiety. (Wake up at 3am thinking I smelled something burning, pace the house for a half hour breathing manually while I sniff everything, knowing the scent was in my mind but unable to let go of it.). So that could work for anxiety disorders too, you'd just have to RP it.

EDIT: Actually, looking back on it, the neurotic trait is honestly anxiety-disorder-the-trait, so...

Quote: Originally posted by Sims Wiki
Unlocked interactions
Can "Check" on sink, fireplace and other appliances which will make the Sim become more tranquil.

aaAAAAAAAAAA
Locked thread | Locked by: Greenplumbbob Reason: trying to avoid a thread apocalypse :P - Dead threads should stay dead ;)
Page 2 of 3