Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 5:41 AM
Default Anyone else find the toddlers pitifully boring?

I love just about every aspect of this game, and you all know this, since I've practically made myself unofficial TS3 cheerleader since it came out.... But looooord al-MIGHTY. The toddlers! WHY did EA feel the need to extend their little lives so much?? I mean, seriously. Seven days? Maybe eight? Too long, EA. Too long. Sure, four days in the previous game *might* have been too quick, but they could have JUST extended their life span, by one day, and that would have been fine. WHY add on an extra three or four days that are mostly useless?

I don't have a problem with getting their skills up. By the time the toddlers are about to age up, they've learned every single thing they need to learn, anyway. Sometimes BEFORE they're about ready to age up. Last night, I was playing a family that had a little toddler girl, and I got so fed up with the waiting process, that I actually decided to CHEAT instead of waiting an extra two days before she turned into a child.

I'm fully aware of the fact that you can change everyone's life spans in the game, somewhere, but I like for all of my sims to age in a decent amount of time, so I don't do that. I have no problems with any other age stages.... But the toddlers! Good God, as precious as they may be, JUST GROW THE HELL UP, ALREADY!!!!!!! God, get out of my house and go to school! >____>

Ok, rant over. I just felt like I needed to share my wrath with everyone.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 6:52 AM
As soon as my toddlers learn what they need to or what I want them to learn I age them up. If it is too soon for a cake I use testing cheats. That age drives me nuts in game.
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 7:00 AM
Well, they're boring but i plonk some books and a xylaphone (how do you spell that???) and a little peg box down. When they play with the toy box for example, they automatically get 3 or more skill points when they do something involving logic when they're older. Same with xylaphone but with the music skill. Also some books are for different things, which helps. AND reading books helps with the writing skill. I skill em up and ignore them.

Smile.
It's easier than explaining why you're sad.
Scholar
#4 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 7:14 AM
I find toddlers amusing especially when they play in the toy box. It's those pink and blue sniveling maggots I don't like. I wish they were as adorable as they were in sims 2 but :shrug: no use crying over spilt milk.

Get two of them teach them to talk, get them to play blocks together and just watch what those buggers talk about.

EA needs to make it that a walking toddler can escape the crib. That's the only thing about toddlers that gets me. There's a age that kids just escape.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:28 AM
Yeah i hate the fact they dont do as much as in thesims2, they cant bother their parents for attention, they cant climb out of the cribs,
why take the things we loved out of the game, yeah yeah maybe its its to make room for moreinteresting moves, like hiding in the toybox, and watching the tv.
but god its a bigger game so surely they could of made prams so mum could take them for a walk down the street, or let them walk down the road to a near by park,
i am dreaming but thats because i have 4 of them in realife.

OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST
I MISS MY MIND THE MOST
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:52 AM
I love the idea of a pram for babies/toddlers. I would also love if EA would add some playground equipment just for toddlers. Maybe the bouncy animals (like in TS2) and toddler swings.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:09 AM
I actually like the toddlers a lot. I like to zoom in on them when they're playing around with their toys and stuff.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:46 AM
i agree toddlers are boring in the game and so are babies i like to teach toddlers as quck as possible and grow them up to children
Theorist
#9 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:55 AM
Hire a nanny for toddlers and ignore them. That's what I do.
Scholar
#10 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 12:30 PM
There's also the part where they forgot to make them cute.
Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne

Oh, snap.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:12 PM
I don't like them, it takes ages to teach them anything and after you've done it a few times it really grates, they are also so not cute. At least the sims 2 toddlers were cute...
Field Researcher
#13 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:27 PM
I don't particularly like babies or toddlers. The babies require way more work than they did in Sims 2.

On the other hand, is the lifespan of the teens shorter? It feels that way. I felt like in Sims 2 the Sims were teens FOREVER.
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:40 PM
I can't compare to Sims 2, since I never played but I hate how strong their little features are! I've looked at Sims 2 caps and the toddlers were much cuter then. Softer features.

I also find myself worrying that they're going to get themselves in much more trouble than they actually do, so even though I have nothing to compare it to I suppose they are rather boring.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:42 PM
Shorteing the toddler lifespan is just a small xml tweek away, I did it for my tots, and they are now toddlers for 4 days, no more.

I like toddlers now more than in TS2, gone is the awfull howling with their teeth ripping through their jaw if you didn't take them out of the crib the moment they woke up. I like that their energy loss is lesser, and they actuallly gain energy in the crib slower. I actually enjoy toddlers now, you have more time to do stuff with them, instead of one constat, bathe, feed, potty, sleep cycle. In TS2 having toddlers was the most stressfull thing ever.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:48 PM
All of my toddlers are boring and ugly gremlins to boot. No wonder families just keep leaving theirs in the parks. Too bad we can't leave toddlers in baskets on our neighbor's doorsteps! XD

It's nice that both toddlers and babies sleep longer and their motives are easy to raise though!
Alchemist
#17 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:52 PM
ani - would you mind uploading that? Or just sharing it through a PM? :D

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Scholar
#18 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I like toddlers now more than in TS2, gone is the awfull howling with their teeth ripping through their jaw if you didn't take them out of the crib the moment they woke up. I like that their energy loss is lesser, and they actuallly gain energy in the crib slower. I actually enjoy toddlers now, you have more time to do stuff with them, instead of one constat, bathe, feed, potty, sleep cycle. In TS2 having toddlers was the most stressfull thing ever.

Weird, I actually like toddlers in TS2 and I don't even like kids in real life. Of course, I use some mods to cut down on the annoyance (insim toddler trainer) and I usually have a bed they can use autonomously. They have a lot more interactions then I realized, including with other toddlers (playing together at the art table, which I think carried into TS3, huggle, etc). There's the teach nursery rhyme thing, reading to them, interacting with the toys with them, etc. I also didn't realize for a while they could ask for attention/food/to be read to. Although I had one ask the maid for food and the maid just patted her and walked away. Beotch.

I even like the (blessedly non-larval) TS2 babies now that there are those Store items that you can put them in, like the dangle-toy one they can play with.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:16 PM
No I find them cute...I love when they play inside the toybox......but I do wish you could do more with them and babies.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:27 PM
Toddlers were boring in TS2. Now, they're boring and ugly.
Alchemist
#21 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Hire a nanny for toddlers and ignore them. That's what I do.

Same here
Mad Poster
#22 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:01 PM
I like toddlers in both TS2 and TS3. I think they are generally prettier in TS2 than in TS3, and also there's a lot more to do with them in TS2. In TS3 after you teach the toddler to walk and potty train them, you can pretty much forget about them if you give them a doll house, a toybox and occasionally food. You don't even need a babysitter for them, unless you leave home.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chessa
Too bad we can't leave toddlers in baskets on our neighbor's doorsteps! XD

Oh, but you can! Well, sort of. You can't literally leave them on your neighbor's doorstep in a basket, but you can give them to your neighbors in edit town mode. Bye bye baby!
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne

Oh my goodness, yes! The toddlers in this game are extremely scary looking! They truly look evil, like little chucky's running around!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 4:47 AM
I sometimes I enjoyed TS2 toddlers, sometimes I didn't. Same goes for the TS3 rug-rats. I tend to give TS2 the cute vote, but I seem to remember really fugly toddlers before my default face template replacements... Anyway, TS3 toddlers have something important that the TS2 ones didn't: You don't have to play them to age them up.

Thank goodness, because sometimes their doughy little faces just creep me out.
Page 1 of 3