Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 10:11 PM Last edited by KeiraLou : 17th Nov 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Error 16 not 6!

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Generations, Pets, Seasons
Default Installed Newest Patch - Error 16 While Saving?!
This is the first time I've gone into my game since installing the newest patch this morning. Upon trying to save multiple time, it comes up "Unable to save, Error 16 - refer to readme"! I've still got the game running now as I don't want to leave it without saving but it won't let me!

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:25 PM
I get the same issue and I have no cc in the game other than stuff from the Sims3 Store.

Minion3: Eyes of Righteousness Ninja Monkey
Online gaming has hurt console gaming more than help it.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:29 PM
That makes 3 of us. I was so proud that my game didn't give me any stupid error people were having and then this freaking patch comes. I'm PISSED.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:33 PM
I've got the same message! I checked the readme file and there is no Error Code 16 inside of it (like the message suggested).
Forum Resident
#5 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:37 PM
^ Yeah, it told me to go to "read me", but the errors stop at 15 or something
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:42 PM
Ok, so according to the EA help page they made a mistake with the patch and are working on a fix. In the meantime they suggest clicking "Save As..." and renaming the file.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:43 PM
Its really annoying! I was the same, thought my game was running really smoothly then that happened so that hour or so of playing has all gone to waste! Grrr. I guess the only thing to do is reinstall the game now!

Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:45 PM
Won't clicking on "save as" take up loads of hard drive space because of how many saves there will be?

Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 12:01 AM
Yeah, but it seems the only viable solution right now. They are working on a solution.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 12:45 AM
EA's comment on the issue:

Quote:
We have been made aware of an issue you may encounter while trying to save your game after installing The Sims 3 World Adventures or updating your game. The Sims 3 World Adventures and the Game Update have changed the way your save files are created, which can lead to an error during your gameplay when you save your game. If you encounter an error that says “Error Code 16,” please use “Save As” to save your game instead. This will allow you to create a new save file and circumvent this error.

If you are beginning an entirely new game or starting in a new neighborhood, you will NOT encounter this issue.

We are working to address this and will update you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

-Big Guy-
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 1:09 AM
I just used save as and it worked. Then I went back and tested if I overwrote that save as with another save as and bonus it worked.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I shall be testing it out in a moment . Also, how can you overwrite a 'save as' with a save as? I'd rather do that then make loads of saves.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 11:04 AM
Why not save the so a “save as” then delete the previous file?
Test Subject
#14 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 11:08 AM
is anybody still in here. just wondering how to post my own thread im having some sims 3 WA trouble myself :*(
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 2:05 PM
Press the "New Thread" button.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 6:30 PM
Well, at 2 a.m. this morning I may have stopped getting the error 16 problem, but my saved game reloaded with nothing but blue squares. I copied my saved game folder to my desk top and simply started a new neighborhood. I'm glad that I have a habit of saving all of my houses in the library. At least I only lost 4 out of 15 of them. I hacked as heck over this. I am planning to go no further with the game as it is until I add the new expansion pack.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 8:17 PM
^ It's not only a patch problem, World Adventures have them all as well.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#18 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 8:20 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - WA/patch 1.6 is crashing/not loading/broken/purple
    World Adventures and patch 1.6 are causing some issues - namely lots turning into blue squares and saving triggering an Error 16. If you have some other issue...

Remove all your custom content from Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages.
    Most mods will not yet be compatible with patch 1.6 or WA. Until the creator uploads an updated version, any hacks cannot be used with patch 1.6 or WA.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 9:30 PM
The saving error is def not a mod problem, I don't have any of them and my game still won't lemme save.

I'm too scared to leave Egypt and come back home only to find everything blue
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#20 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 10:21 PM
It is not a mod problem. It's a problem with WA. Please reread what I posted.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 12:12 AM Last edited by callistra : 19th Nov 2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: combined posts
I just deleted ALL my saves as even the new neighbourhood and save as files would get the error 16 eventually; hoping a completely new neighbourhood will work if all of the old ones are gone.. if not I'm hoping anyone finds a solution soon.

So far, this seems to work. I play a family I had in the bin, which was luckely still there after removing all files in the save folder. I created a new neighbourhood and I managed to save it without any problems associated three times so far. I'm not trusting this at all on the long term; but I can finally simply press 'save' now and not get any errors. I hope it stays this way, I can live with starting over but not being able to play the game at all goes to far.
Stupid patch.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mordiana
I just deleted ALL my saves as even the new neighbourhood and save as files would get the error 16 eventually; hoping a completely new neighbourhood will work if all of the old ones are gone.. if not I'm hoping anyone finds a solution soon.

I finished loading the new expansion pack about an hour ago. Like you, I just deleted all of the old neighborhoods. All of my houses and created sims are showing up in the library, so I'm just replacing the houses on the lots and starting new.

One thing that I did notice that as soon as the WA expansion pack was loaded, I was prompted to load a patch to take me up to version 2.16.002001. I find it comical that this product is barely on store shelves and they are patching it. LOL! So far all of my custom content is is showing up in my houses that I am placing from the library. I think this is the BIGGEST problem I have ever had with a Sims game and I am not at all happy about it. But, it could have been worse. I could have lost some of the houses I spent hours and hours working on. Good luck with your game and I will update this if I run into any other problem!
Instructor
#23 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 1:18 AM Last edited by Digitalchaos : 19th Nov 2009 at 1:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by japanesewombat
Ok, so according to the EA help page they made a mistake with the patch and are working on a fix. In the meantime they suggest clicking "Save As..." and renaming the file.

No need to rename the file just clicking "Save As..." and overwriting the original will work (do not change the name, click save (checkmark), then this dialog appears (if the save exists) click the checkmark to accept and overwrite the save.

Please Note: that WA is not the problem (the problem is present even when updating to the latest patch and WA is not installed) <== makes me think that the patch (not WA) is to blame (as WA has already had the patch applied).
Screenshots

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 1:32 AM
I'm ahead 3 saves and it still works; just the normal save button, no need to use save as with my completely new game. The saves folder looks normal too even after starting a new game.

I still have no clue why my previous new neighbourhood failed; it seemed I had to take out all old saves in order for it to same normally using just 'save'.

I'm still affraid it'll go wrong after an hour or so again like it did last night when I tried a new neighbourhood; because there's no diffference other then having no old save files from that attempt to start over.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#25 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 12:46 PM
EA have now released a patch which claims to fix this issue.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Page 1 of 2