Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Save_the_whales
I mean it doesn't work- like, the circle doesn't show up and when I click theres no effect

Try using the tool from the center of the map, in other words, move your camera (the position where "you" are) right to the center of the map, and try using the tools. Probably more of a pain for the tiny maps. Zoom in close, and make sure when you look around in a 360 you are seeing land around you. See if the circle shows up then.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 7:47 PM
A lot of times getting tools to work is as simple as letting your computer catch up for a few seconds. It's taken up to fifteen seconds of just waiting, but so long as the camera is within the map and I've let the computer catch up, I never fail to get a tool to work.

If you're going to import a world, rename your mods folder so the launcher won't take forever to load and do its thing with importing.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 8:02 PM
Tip: When using the mouse scroll to zoom hold SHIFT makes it zoom faster. SHIFT also speeds up movement with the ARROW keys. and < > allows you to rotate the camera on the spot.
Scholar
#54 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFuglyStik
A lot of times getting tools to work is as simple as letting your computer catch up for a few seconds. It's taken up to fifteen seconds of just waiting, but so long as the camera is within the map and I've let the computer catch up, I never fail to get a tool to work.

If you're going to import a world, rename your mods folder so the launcher won't take forever to load and do its thing with importing.

Best not letting it do the importing at all. If you put a lot in the downloads folder, it goes straight to the launcher and just has to be installed, it already shows in the launcher, it's much quicker than the double click thing

ioscream, thanks for that tip, it takes ages to move across the world, I did find that I can use the arrow keys and the <> at the same time though to get the direction right
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 8:59 PM
I made an island and it won't let me put anything on it. I put a tree on that looks weird and it wont let me move it or delete it
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:08 PM
Ok it works on one half but not on the other. I want to delete it cuz it's smushed against the side of the map so it looks stupid... But it wont let me terraform there
Forum Resident
#57 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:18 PM
So tell already...please
[QUOTE=MondayMorning
As a side note, I've figured out how to add my own textures in the terrain paints! :D[/QUOTE]

So how do you do it? Please tell. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:31 PM Last edited by ioscream : 18th Dec 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Where the hell is the stadium..

EDIT: Found it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#59 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:41 PM
Winterhart - Terrain > Terrain Painting Tools > Add Layer. Select the DDS file you want for your texture and name it. Don't use a buttload of different layers in a single Chunk (View > Show Chunk Boundaries) - I think the limit I saw was 8 per chunk but I can't cite it as I forget where I saw it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#60 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 10:01 PM Last edited by Winterhart : 18th Dec 2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: oops
Quote: Originally posted by FreakAboutSims
I wish to inform people who also had trouble with crosswalks that you do not place an intersection on the road. You could either place all roads needed with a space in the middle where they will connect or place the intersection first then connect the roads to that.

EDIT: I uninstalled Google Earth, but can this work with Google Maps, Winterhart?

I think so. Google Maps are not flat so you should be able to use them for terrain map. They might even be better because you don't get fog and cloud layers.

I can't use the sculptig things- a circle doesn't show up to use

You have to zoom way in to see the circle if you are using a small one.

And when I use it there are big red marks all over- how do i get rid of them?

The red marks are areas that are un-routeable. I think this means you can't build on them. How you get rid of them is to alter the terrain up or down to make them routeable. (sp?) :lovestruc

Scholar
#61 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 10:19 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 19th Dec 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Winterhart, you're a dirty triple poster . You'll get in trouble for that, just wait and see. I like to keep things unroutable, for hidden places, behind mountains, etc. You don't see the red when you're not in paint, if you do there's something wrong.

Save the whale. To delete something you go to the move object doodah, click on the object you want to delete, then hit delete on your keyboard, you can do this with everything, even misplaced lot, though I found I had to be in the lots section to delete them

Ah you fixed it
Forum Resident
#62 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 10:28 PM
Default Taking notes.
whoachica for starting this thread!

I am taking notes and will try to put together some kind of tutorial. :lovestruc

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#63 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 10:45 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 18th Dec 2009 at 10:58 PM.
To make a lot a specific size: Select the New Lot tool. Click once where you want the corner of the lot, and begin to drag out the blue line that outlines one side of the lot. Look down in the VERY far bottom right corner of your screen: you'll see a little line of numbers. The last set will say something like 10x0 - drag out to 20x0 or 30x0 or whatever you want, then click and drag back to make it the full depth - it'll say 20x30 or whatever there as you do.

Tile Size: Tile size in CAW is equal to tile size in-game. A lot that is 10x10 in CAW will be 10x10 wall-length segments in-game.
Forum Resident
#64 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 11:00 PM
Default Turn off the Fog!!
Tip

To see your world more clearly go to View and turn off the fog :lovestruc

Scholar
#65 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
To make a lot a specific size: Select the New Lot tool. Click once where you want the corner of the lot, and begin to drag out the blue line that outlines one side of the lot. Look down in the VERY far bottom right corner of your screen: you'll see a little line of numbers. The last set will say something like 10x0 - drag out to 20x0 or 30x0 or whatever you want, then click and drag back to make it the full depth - it'll say 20x30 or whatever there as you do.

Tile Size: Tile size in CAW is equal to tile size in-game. A lot that is 10x10 in CAW will be 10x10 wall-length segments in-game.

I guess I was too busy counting the squares to notice that
Test Subject
#66 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 12:24 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but is there any way to make it less laggy?
Scholar
#67 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 12:34 AM Last edited by fluttereyes : 19th Dec 2009 at 1:13 AM.
Ok so I've been working flat out since I got this on Wednesday night, and I mean every spare minute I've had. As you can see I've put in all my lots, almost, lol I've done the terrain, I'm doing some landscaping now in between adding lots.

So you can guess my surprise and sheer ***%$£$&*( when I scroll up and see France in the background.

I started wih a flat terrain, nothing on it at all. I'll tell you what, if this is global warming...................

Truth here is, I've lost the lot unless I can get rid of that, it will be too big to process. That makes me thing, is this one of the issues with people not being able to bring their worlds in game to edit? Could it be that they really messed up with the templates for the worlds. In saying that, France was not there 10 minutes ago.

I was going to delete this but I'll leave it in case someone else searches the thread for the same thing. If this happens and you see another world on the horizon, look to your layers and find (in my case) distant terrain France, click that and delete it. Works, phew, what a panic.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#68 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 2:04 AM
I was just going to make a backup of my project (in case I mess up and want to go back to a previous save) and CAW is doing that already! Really cool. The file name it uses is Venice_Bkp_12-18-2009_12_57_23, so its very specific and every save is, well, saved. So I have 5 backups so far. If you want to take this one step further, you could add a text file (use notepad) that describes your progress and stick in the directory. I'm not that organized though.

Files are in: Documents/The Sims3 Create a World Tool/UserToolData/Worlds

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Eminence Grise
#69 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 3:34 AM
You can rotate the grid, if you want roads aligned with beaches, mountains etc instead of whatever the default is. You can specify an angle at the bottom of the screen. Only thing is, the grid will revert to default after Edit In Game, so remember what angle you set it to.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
I guess I was too busy counting the squares to notice that

Me to.

Forum Resident
#71 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 9:38 PM
Default How do I get my world into my game?
How do I get my world into my game?? I followed the three steps in tutorial and got a message saying that export was successful. But when I closed CAW and went into my game it wasn't there. Does CAW start the game up for you at that point? I don't want to export it again and maybe really screw something up.
:lovestruc

Scholar
#72 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 10:36 PM
Winterhart, do you mean to edit it or to play it? To edit you just go to file, edit town. To play it, phew I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've managed to get it into the game to edit it with no problems and quite quick loading times, just a few minutes, maybe two or three minutes more than to play the game. I'm expecting that to be longer as the world get filled with lots
Forum Resident
#73 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 10:55 PM Last edited by Winterhart : 19th Dec 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Delete unneccessary quote
I mean to play it. I have already done the Edit in Game thing. I just threw something together quickly to test a theory. One of the tutorials talks about roads and implies that you can have a world with no roads. Sirms will just walk everywhere.

There are so many things I want to do that were not possible in Sims 2 I hardly know where to start. I'll go do something else for awhile. :lovestruc

Test Subject
#74 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 11:02 PM
Do you guys get a pretty good frame rate on average? Because mine's terrible.
Eminence Grise
#75 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 11:13 PM
watdocdude, nah, it's a slow and unresponsive tool Not any different from modding tools for other games that show a live render, though, to be fair.

Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
How do I get my world into my game??

Took me some poking around to figure out where the tool exports things, which isn't specified in the walkthrough. First, make sure you have a name, description, and thumbnail (24 bit PNG, 256x256) associated with your world. Then use File/Select World To Export. That will export it as a .Sims3Pack to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Exports (that is in your game folder, NOT your CAW folder). Then you can install it however you prefer to install Sims3Packs, I guess... I just double-clicked it and let the launcher handle it.

It's probably a good idea to test your world in a real game with sims once in a while, even though it's a pain, just to make sure it loads up properly and everything's accessible... I didn't want to put too many days into this without being sure I had something that was gonna be playable
Page 3 of 6