Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 3:50 AM Last edited by dmick4324 : 20th Feb 2010 at 7:17 AM. Reason: Moderator asked me to

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Custom Content Installation Help
Yes I realize many people have asked how to get downloads into the game but I really don't understand what people mean by create a folder in this section, then a subfolder of this. I downloaded a bathing suit top and bottom from thesimsresource.com and it says its a .sims3pack file. I installed it using the launcher but it isn't in my game. Can someone explain how to get this in the game in a simple way for my not fully matured technological mind to understand???
Advertisement
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 3:59 AM
First off i believe that this question does not belong in the Modding Forum. Second off, you're describing two different things simultaneously. Last time i checked you cannot install the package file by the game launcher but if you are trying to install the CC files then you don't need to make any folders.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 4:06 AM
Lol this is exactly what I'm talking about. I have no idea what to do I'm just trying to get what I downloaded into the game. I'm using the base game and it said base game compatible. And I don't want to do anyhtign to erase my progress in my game.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 4:26 AM
Well the problem is your looking for answers in Modding instead of help.

sims3packs are installed via the launcher, it should show up as installed in the launcher and then show in game. If not you need to contact the creator of the package. Although depending on which patch you have, it did break the launcher.

Moving to Help. Please read through the FAQ and the Stickies as it should answer most all of your questions.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#5 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:49 AM
Many Sims3Packs, particularly those from TSR or TSR Workshop, are damaged and cannot be installed by the Launcher. To fix this, you will need to use s3rc to decrapify the corrupted files. Jfade should be working on a more technotard graphically solution to this, but Jfade sucks.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 10:13 AM
Pescado, if you tell me what your s3rc actually does and update any file formats on the wiki that it uses, I can make a graphical version pretty quickly. (I only recall vaguely what it does)

That or send me the source code and I'll work it out.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 1:36 PM
Are you thinking of jfade's 3viewer? Becuase thats a totally seperate thing...

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 6:59 PM
Do I need to download any sort of mod or use WinZIP to use the downloads from this site? Or am I missing the point that certain downloads need different things?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#10 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 7:10 PM
All downloads on MTS need either WinRAR, WinZIP or 7zip to extract them. Thats the stage before the Sims3Pack bit.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:13 PM
How do I WinZIP them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:16 PM
And then the .sims3pack stuff I have to create a different folder or something?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 10:40 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - Installing Custom Content
    You appear to not have read our great guides to downloading and installing custom content for Sims 3.

Game_Help:TS3_Custom_Contentwiki This link contains everything you've ever wanted to know about installing .package and sims3packs.
The Installing TS3 Lots FAQ talks specifically about .sims3packs.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#15 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 7:36 AM
Yeah s3rc is the program Pescado did that jfade needs to update his compressoriser to support, afaik.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 4:59 PM
So just to clarify, if I download the installer helper monkey then all I have to do is download the items object or whatever and the installer monkey will automatically let me use it in the game?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#17 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 5:12 PM
installer helper monkey is no longer supported, use the MonkeyBars (aka Framework Installer), instead.

It just sets up the framework for CC in .package format, so the game will read the file. You still have to download and extract the file and place it yourself. The tool won't install the CC for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 8:04 PM
I have WinZIP and I'm not sure how to extract the file and place it somewhere. I tried double clicking the file that's been downloaded when WinZIP automatically opens but I don't know what to do after that.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 2:54 AM
dexxa007,
don't hijack threads. Read the stickies (your issue is addressed in the Launcher sticky) and search if the issue has been addressed before. If not, post your own help thread detailing games and patch versions, description of issue and which FAQs in Wikis (in Help menu --> FAQ section) have you tried, what error message you get when you try them.

dmick4324,
Missed this?
An excerpt from the Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Fileswiki, one of the links in the wiki page whiterider posted above.
Quote:
Step 6 - Download/Extract Custom Content

Now you're ready to download the content you want.
  • You should already know how to do that - click the link to get the zip or rar file and save it somewhere you can find easily.
  • Then extract from the zip or rar file to get at the .package files (Windows: right-click, Extract Here; Macintosh: double-click.).
  • If you happen to download a SIMS3PACK file, just double-click it and the launcher will put it where it needs to go.

If you downloaded the *.zip files onto your Desktop, locate it, right-click and "Extract Here". Then, cut+paste (or drag&drop) the extracted .package file into your \Mods\Packages\ folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 9:30 PM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 20th Feb 2010 at 2:05 AM. Reason: merged your posts
Thanks for all your help I know it must be frustrating with me lol. So if I download the monkeybars then that will setup the folder I need to extract the downloaded item to?

edit:
I downloaded the monkeybars and it wants me to extract it somewhere btu where do I put it the desktop? And when I download the custom content I extract that to the sims 3 mod folder that the installer monkey set up?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#21 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 2:17 AM
Quote:
So if I download the monkeybars then that will setup the folder I need to extract the downloaded item to?

I downloaded the monkeybars and it wants me to extract it somewhere btu where do I put it the desktop?

"Yes", to the first 2 questions. To clarify: MonkeyBars will setup the whole "framework" (not just a folder), in all 3 games if you have them.

On last question:
Extract the content to desktop first (won't get Vista/Windows7 UAC issues that way), then move it to the \Packages\ folder (inside Mods), not the \Mods\ folder.

ps: could you edit the title of this thread, please? - is it now not limited to Sims3Packs problems, it seems. Click Edit button on your first post and change the title to "CC" or something instead of Sims3Packs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 7:48 AM Last edited by dmick4324 : 20th Feb 2010 at 8:03 AM. Reason: Added Things
I think I'm done trying lol I really just don't understand. I downloaded MonkeyBars but I didn't know what folder to download it too. I then attempted to extract it but there were 4 different things on my WinZIP menu to extract and I didn't know which one to do. Then I opened the MonkeyBars and it said it couldn't read somethign and the installation didn't properly work. I tried downloading some custom content and again I didn't know where to download it to. I downloaded it to somewhere then WinZIP opened again and again there were 4 different things I could extract. I did one to the desktop, double clicked that and it asked me if it should search the web for a folder. I then opened MonkeyBars and it said it couldn't read something. So thank you all for all your help but I really am just missing what I actually need to do.

So I was playing around and I thought I'd give it one more shot and I downloaded MonkeyBars one more time and I extracted the resource.cfg
ORIGINAL FILE to the desktop and double clicked to open it. It said windows could not open this file because it needs to know which program to use it with. Did I extract the wrong thign? I then tried to extract the FrameworkInstaller Application to the desktop and then double clicked it to open and it says "unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Could not load file or assembly 'MadScience.Helpers.Version='" and a bunch of other numbers. The message ends with The system cannot find the file specified. Jesus it's a lot of trouble to get a couple of downloads lol.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#23 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 8:09 AM
dmick4324 - Extract MonkeyBars, the WHOLE thing, to whereever you downloaded it to. Just stick it in a folder on your Desktop, right-click the file and choose Extract Here (assuming you have WinRAR installed). Then run the Monkey Bars file. If you don't have all of the files, it's not gonna run.

You don't double-click a Resource.cfg - double-clicking opens it in whatever program Windows uses for it. Get MonkeyBars working - it'll put the Resource.cfg where it needs to be (and everything else too).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 8:32 PM
MonkeyBars downloaded to my downloads file on my computer. I created a shortcut on my desktop and right clicked it to extract here. I have WinZIP the evaluatioin version and then nothing happened so then I double clicked the shortcut again and it came up with those same 4 options on the WinZIP menu. So I'm not sure what to do next.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 6:32 PM
Lol am I that far off no one can help?
Page 1 of 2