Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Installing CC!
I'm not the greatest computer wiz..so here goes it:

I went to WinRAR to install it and I don't understand where exactly I should install it on my computer, I have Windows Vista.

Then when ot comes to actually installing the CC off here I always make sure I make the requirements, but where so I save the CC I'm downloading? I always save them in Name/Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Downloads but recently someone told me that for this, that's wrong!

but when I do save it in Downloads and try to extract it, something always pops up saying error, SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!

I need a step by step guide here, I have already read the help forums and the help offered but it's still not working for me!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:13 PM
Download and use the framework installer. This will put the right files and folders in, and its found here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=384014

If you're using Vista, like me, then you will put the .package files in C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/ElectronicArts/Sims3/Mods/Packages
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fragglerocks
Download and use the framework installer. This will put the right files and folders in, and its found here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=384014

If you're using Vista, like me, then you will put the .package files in C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/ElectronicArts/Sims3/Mods/Packages

Do I have to create the Mods folder? because I don't see one
Instructor
#4 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:16 PM
The framework installer I posted the link for should create the Mods folder for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:16 PM
The framework installer I posted the link for should create the Mods folder for you.

what about WinRAR though? when I download it where should I download it to??
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:19 PM
okay, i kinda have the same problem, where is the program file crap your talking about? and sorry i can't remember where i put WinRAR.

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
~ Walter Winchell
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:20 PM
This is so frustrating lol
Instructor
#8 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Garbage.Can
what about WinRAR though? when I download it where should I download it to??

Ooops, I missed that part about WinRAR. My apologies. It should go in C:/ProgramFiles(x86). Did you get your copy of WinRAR from rarlab.com? I also want to mention that if you are running Vista 64-bit, you should make sure the copy of WinRAR you are running is also 64-bit. 32, otherwise.

When you download WinRAR, you will find that file in Computer/Users/(Name)/Downloads

Double-click the file to run the installer and don't change any options.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:36 PM
Ooops, I missed that part about WinRAR. My apologies. It should go in C:/ProgramFiles(x86). Did you get your copy of WinRAR from rarlab.com? I also want to mention that if you are running Vista 64-bit, you should make sure the copy of WinRAR you are running is also 64-bit. 32, otherwise.

When you download WinRAR, you will find that file in Computer/Users/(Name)/Downloads

Double-click the file to run the installer and don't change any options.

hmm that C:/ProgramFiles(x86) is not popping up, I am getting it from rarlab.com and I'm attempting to install WinRAR x64 (64 bit) 3.93 for Graphic and command line.

maybe I should just give up
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:45 PM
WinRAR has an installer. Just double-click it and install it to the default location.

The instructions on installing mods, btw, are here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...g_Package_Files

And questions like this belong in the Help section
Instructor
#11 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:46 PM
Okay, so are you getting this little screen when you click on the file you want to download?

After you click that, it should definitely be found in your Downloads folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:52 PM
Okay, so are you getting this little screen when you click on the file you want to download?

After you click that, it should definitely be found in your Downloads folder.

yes I am!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:55 PM
But when I click it and select save to download it, it takes me to Name/Documents, there's no Downloads to select
Instructor
#14 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:56 PM
An easy way to find it is this-When you click save file, a Download box will pop up. After it is finished, right-click on the download and select "open containing folder". Double click the WinRAR file and the should start the install. Have you gotten this far?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th May 2010 at 8:59 PM
An easy way to find it is this-When you click save file, a Download box will pop up. After it is finished, right-click on the download and select "open containing folder". Double click the WinRAR file and the should start the install. Have you gotten this far?

Yes I have, when I click on it, the box appears and it has the buttons: run, save, cancel. I select save and then the box appears with all my files and I have to select when I'm downloading WinRAR to, but I don't know where I'm supposed to install it to; it automatically goes to My Documents!
Instructor
#16 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:02 PM
You need to run the file, not save it. What you downloaded off the website is the installer, not the program. The installer should put WinRAR in your program files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:08 PM
You need to run the file, not save it. What you downloaded off the website is the installer, not the program. The installer should put WinRAR in your program files.

okay, I selected 'run' instead, oh my mistake it's the WinRAR x86 I have to run. Okay After hitting run this new box pops up and it says the destination folder is C:\Program Files\WinRAR nad below it tells details about WinRar, and then theres a button saying install, cancel so I clicked Install and now a new box has popped up and it says WinRAR setup and it has a list and it says associate WinRAR with: and therea a list and they have boxese that can be checked and so on, do I just click ok?
Instructor
#18 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:14 PM
Yes, just keep the setup as is.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:17 PM
okay I selected that, but when it comes with downloading CC it won't work, can you help me with that?
Instructor
#20 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:21 PM
Click on a download you want. You should get a box that will give you an option to choose which program you want to use to open it. Browse for WinRAR (remember its in program files) and set it up to use it to open those kinds of files.

Once WinRAR opens and you see your .package file, do not double click it! You will need to open your game's package folder found in Computer/C:/ProgramFiles/ElectronicArts/Sims3/Mods/packages, then click and drag the .package file over.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:27 PM
Click on a download you want. You should get a box that will give you an option to choose which program you want to use to open it. Browse for WinRAR (remember its in program files) and set it up to use it to open those kinds of files.

That doesn't work, if I click download a box pops up and I have to select either open or save. I selected open and it just automatically loads it and then when I try to extract it, it doesn;t work
Instructor
#22 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:29 PM
I'm sorry I can't help anymore right now, but the AT&T guy just called and I have to get my home phone line fixed. After he gets here and I let him in, I will get back to you. Hopefully someone else can help while I'm gone.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:31 PM
I'm sorry I can't help anymore right now, but the AT&T guy just called and I have to get my home phone line fixed. After he gets here and I let him in, I will get back to you. Hopefully someone else can help while I'm gone.

Okay, thanks a bunch!
Instructor
#24 Old 30th May 2010 at 9:52 PM
Back.

Okay, but next to open, there should be a box with a name for a program, that looks like this (but yours shouldn't say WinRAR as an option yet like mine does):

Click other. Then a box pops up like this:

If you don't see WinRAR on your list, then click browse and find it (program files).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 31st May 2010 at 6:09 PM
Back.

Okay, but next to open, there should be a box with a name for a program, that looks like this (but yours shouldn't say WinRAR as an option yet like mine does):

Click other. Then a box pops up like this:

If you don't see WinRAR on your list, then click browse and find it (program files).

okay, I'll give it a try!
Page 1 of 2