Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 11:49 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Pets
CC not showing up in game
I own just the Sims 3 base game & I'm on version 1.12.70.006001. My custom content won't show up in game, whatever I try. I followed this article: "http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files" & I also tried article: "http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Package_Files_Manual_OSX". My content didn't show up when I tried each of them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Help is much appreciated.

PS. My sims3packs show up in game, it's just my .package files won't work.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 11:28 AM
  1. Take a screenshot of:
    • Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/
    • Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/
    • Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Packages/
    ... and attach them to a post on this thread. Click Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments to upload pictures.

2. Open your Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Resource.cfg file in a text editor and copy+paste its contents here.

3. Right-click on Resource.cfg > More Info: Verify that the file name is "Resource.cfg" and not "Resource.cfg.txt" or anything else

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:31 PM
1. Attached:
Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages/ files were too large to put on so I've got the other ones up. (I have 166 .package files = LOTS of screen shots.)
PS. My problem has nothing to do with any of the .package files..
I removed all of them except one, one time & even that one file didn't show.

2. Priority -10
PackedFile Autobuild/*.package
PackedFile Autobuild/Animation.package
PackedFile Autobuild/GEOMETRY/*.package
DirectoryFiles Autobuild/INSTANCES autoupdate
PackedFile Autobuild/RIG/*.package
PackedFile Autobuild/SACS/*.package
PackedFile Autobuild/TEXTURES/*.package
DirectoryFiles Autobuild/Textures/... autoupdate
Priority -19
Select not PIPELINE
DirectoryFiles Textures/... autoupdate
PackedFile Textures/*.package
End
Select not OBJECTEXPORT
DirectoryFiles DataClasses
DirectoryFiles Prototypes autoupdate
End
Select not PIPELINE
PackedFile Models/*.package
End
Select not PACKAGETOOLKIT
Priority -30
PackedFile Packages/AutoBuild*.package
Priority -31
PackedFile Packages/FullBuild*.package
Priority -32
PackedFile ../../Thumbnails/AllThumbnails.package
PackedFile ../../Thumbnails/CASThumbnails.package
Priority -33
DirectoryFiles NonPackaged/Ini/... autoupdate
Priority -40
PackedFile Packages/Sims3PackedData.package
End
Group 0x001407ec Audio
Group 0x0051185b EffectsBinary
FileType 0x0175e5cd script
FileType 0x0175e5d9 scriptsym
FileType 0x8eaf13de rig
FileType 0x6b20c4f3 clip
FileType 0x00b2d882 dds
FileType 0x025ed6f4 simoutfit
FileType 0xd55f7caf lightrigs
FileType 0xf0ff5598 triggers
FileType 0x11c258c0 ctriggers
FileType 0x0333406c xml
FileType 0xd3044521 slot
FileType 0x00b552ea spt
FileType 0x021d7e8c spt2
FileType 0x1f886ead ini
FileType 0x025c95b6 layout
FileType 0x025c90a6 css
FileType 0x2f7d0006 tga
FileType 0x2f7d0004 png
FileType 0x2f7d0002 jpg
FileType 0x2f7d0002 jpeg
FileType 0x03b4c61d lightingdata
FileType 0xea5118b0 swb
FileType 0x220557da stbl
FileType 0x02b9f662 prop
FileType 0x010077c4 wav
FileType 0x010077bb mp3
FileType 0x010077ca xa
FileType 0x01a527db snr
FileType 0x01eef63a sns
FileType 0x0181b0d2 abk
FileType 0x02c9eff2 submix
FileType 0x029e333b voice
FileType 0x03b33ddf tun

3. Yes, it's just Resource.cfg.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:16 AM
I seemed to have fixed it.. I installed LoofahFlufferduff's New Mac Custom Content Framework Installer & now my CC shows up but not all.. A message saying "It looks like you have installed an unofficial game modification that does not match your current version of The Sims 3. We recommend that you either uninstall these game modifications or get updated versions of them – otherwise you may experience crashes or significant bugs." keeps showing up. Do I need something to make it work or is one my downloads not updated or my game not updated enough to use it?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:12 AM
That resource.cfg was completely wrong –*your issue was probably fixed by overwriting it with a correct one.

Re. that message, you need to do exactly what it says there: either uninstall these game modifications or get updated versions of them. Oe or more of your packages is outdated.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 4:53 PM
Okay. I did that & figured out which ones they were.. Removed them.. Now my game is as slow as ever. Is it one of the packages? This is getting so fustrating.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Game lags or fails to load or is glitchy
    Issues
    1. Have you just updated to a newer patch or installed a new Expansion Pack and/or Stuff Pack?
    2. Do you suddenly find your game is failing to load past the loading bar or after selecting your save game? Or does it take hours to load when previously it only took minutes?
    3. Do you experience glitches like
      • missing books, traits, cannot carry out skill-related activities, etc
      • have long strings name with paths instead of the objects' names
      • missing previously installed content
      • missing interactions with objects and Sims
      • and many more

Causes
    Then, you have custom content that is not compatible with this new game version or is broken/corrupted by the patching/installing.
    If you have a core mod that is not compatible, the game would simply crash back to Desktop.

Solution
    Remove ALL custom content, not just selective content! Do the steps in Game_Help:Sims_3_Game_Problemwiki.

Fixing your game
    • If the problem is with .packages CC (ie. you needed only to move the \Mods\Packages\)
      • If the new game can load, then read this FAQ on how to rectify the Lag issue and to find the problem content: Game_Help:Package_File_Lagwiki.
      • Identifying the problem content - Game_Help:TS3_Finding_Problem_Custom_Contentwiki.
      • Once you which know which content caused the glitch, you'd need to revisit the site where you get the .packages from to see if there's a new update or if they need to be discarded as they are no longer compatible.

• If the problem is with .Sims3Packs CC (ie you needed to rename the user files)
      • Try running Dashboard on the DCBackup folder to see if it can detect anything wrong with those .packages
      • Or if you want to test Sims3Packs one-by-one, you can use CUSTARD (Alpha testing, Windows only) by Delphy in the Modding forum
      • Otherwise, you'd need to revisit the site where you get the Sims3Packs from to see if if there's a new update or they need fixing, etc.

Remember: during all the above testing, always load a new game to test (you can however load the same new game if you saved that). Never load a pre-patched or pre-EP/SP saved game as removing custom content and caches will reset all the custom content in that world to base-game items and it won't load them back if you happen to Save before you Quit.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:40 PM
I looked at this article, "http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Package_File_Lag", & it only mentions Windows.. I need Mac intructions. None appear to be there.. & I've also tried "http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content". Tried the methods they explain & they don't work.

I'm thinking back now where I got all my files.. & remember some creators of downloads that I downloaded had said that the download had lots of "polycounts" or something like that.. Is it perhaps because of the large polycount? :s
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:47 PM
Hello! Maybe I can be of some assistance? I had the same problem as you, and now my custom content and mods work properly.

OK, so your problem is that you're following the instructions for Windows. I did the same thing. What you need to do is remove the Mods folder and replace the original "resource.cfg" and "d3dx9_31.dll" (if you moved it). Just keep your Mods folder on the desktop for easy access, don't delete it. After doing that, run the game to see if it works.

When it does, follow these (http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...iles_Manual_OSX) instructions. Now, I know you said that you tried these already, but do it anyways. Do exactly what the instructions say and triple check that you did everything. If you did everything correctly, your game should run smoothly with no problems, mods and all.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:51 PM
cHOCO-pOCKEY, the OP has an 1.12 game. Which means that mods go in Documents, not in the app folder.

livinginwonderland, please let us know what exactly you need instructions for -- did you see the link in that guide that explains how to run Dashboard under OS X, for instance?

Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 3:13 AM
Oh well, sorry about that, I guess I should've checked... ^^'
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 3:05 AM
plasticbox, all my problem is my game is really slow & all the ways to fix it in the help section on modthesims don't help. Nada thing.

I didn't see any link.. I don't even know what Dashboard is.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 8:52 AM
The guide you were referring to http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ackage_File_Lag (Step 1.3.1) explains how to find broken/outdated packages with Dashboard. You said you needed instructions for that guide?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 5:28 PM
I downloaded at that one point but it didn't work. It says it only works for Windows?..
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 10:05 PM
Please read the guide again: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ackage_File_Lag
Quote:
Works for any version of Windows and it is confirmed to work on Mac systems when using Mono.

There is a link right underneath that which explains how to use mono. Please read that guide too. Let us know if you have questions.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:32 AM
Read the guide again. I tried to look at the Sticky & it said, "This server is usable by MTS2 staff members only. To attempt a login click here."
I tried logging in with my normal account but it wouldn't allow it. :/. Where is the Mono download?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 7:55 AM
Fixed the link on the wiki –*try again now!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:30 PM
Thanks! & I did look at it now.
Specifically looking at this:

"Installing mono is very simple (download, mount, click through the wizard). You need to have X11 installed beforehand – Leopard users should have it already (/Applications/Utilities/X11), Tiger users could get it from their 10.4 install DVD (but should probably upgrade instead). Go here if you want the most current release.

Depending on your exact setup, you may have to explicitely tell mono to use X11 for drawing operations (this is not enabled by default), like so:

- open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
- type export MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11=1 and hit enter
- type mono /path/to/your/exe (or the easy way: type mono and a space, then drop the exe onto the terminal window) and hit enter

To reset it, type unset MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11 and hit enter (then it'll use the default driver again)."

On my mac, I have the X11, but I have no idea what they want me to do with it. :s
Sorry.. I'm not an expert with macs so I don't know anything of this.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:53 PM
You don't need to do anything with X11 .. except you might need to tell mono to use it (i.e. type those commands you quote), *if* you run into drawing issues.

Have you installed mono yet? Tried to run Dashboard?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:56 PM
I'm trying. When I go to www.mono-project.com, I click download just Mono. Click on Mac download. But then there's all these different ones! Jus take a look.

"This download works on Mac OS X Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5), and Snow Leopard (10.6).

Includes Mono, Cocoa#, Gtk# installs in /Library/Frameworks:
The CSDK packages are for developers embedding mono into their applications. If you don't know what that means you don't need it.
Mono 2.6.7
*****Intel: Framework (CSDK)
PowerPC: Framework (CSDK)
Universal: Framework (if you don't know what you need) (CSDK)
MonoDevelop Preview
Cocoa# 0.9.5 source*****
Gtk# and System.Windows.Forms applications require X11. Installing on a machine without X11 installed will result in errors during install, and these components will not function correctly.
We also have packages for some of the more popular software that runs on Mono."

Where the stars mark are the kinds. Which one do I download?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 11:08 PM
Do you know whether you have an Intel or PowerPC? If you do, get the Intel or PowerPC one. If you don't, get the Universal one.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 11:15 PM
Thanks.. I will try to download it.
It appears to be a huge file so it may take awhile.
Thanks for all your help, plasticbox!
MUCH appreciated. Check back incase I have more issues please.
Thanks again!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 12:56 AM
Oh for crying out loud... You can only play The Sims 3 on Intel Mac.
And that link for using mono on Mac is ridiculous, PB. I'm sorry, but you're making something too difficult that is actually really simple...AGAIN.

Livinginwonderland... there's some info on my site www.mactasticsims3.com
specifically you want
What Sims 3 Tools work on Mac?
and also
Instructions on how to run Sims 3 tools with mono (using Sims 3 Package Editor)

it's all step-by-step 'for dummies' type stuff, and I support it all, and am generally available on chat (link on my site) or by email to help you through step by step with any issues.

There are also other tutorials on the site you might find helpful too

Mac-tastic Sims 3 - Tips and tutorials for making the most out of your Sims 3 experience on Mac :D
http://www.mactasticsims3.com
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#24 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 4:55 AM
Loofah you keep posting your site with the tutorials you write that looks like all stuff staff and users have collected and put in the simswiki. Your list of programs that work with OS X is no different than the one in a sticky by pbox. And just what is so ridiculous about the Mono link? Download, mount, click through the wizard. How is that being more difficult than it has to be? It is simple and straight forward. I know cause I installed it.

I think someone forgot to check their manners before posting. If you want to help please use the wiki and link to the instructions on site. Users are confused enough and that is why they are posting for help, we need to stay consistent and refer to the same content. If you feel that something in the wiki needs expanding then by all means help. Most Windows solutions work quite well for OS X users and we don't need separate wiki's, just to verify that the tools work on OS X. Which the post by pbox lists those and many I have tested myself. Right now I think the only thing unwritten for OS X is the Activity Monitor, the equivalent of Process Monitor.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 7:50 AM
LoofahFlufferduff: it would be most appreciated if, instead of promoting your site, you'd actually post something that helps the OP solve their issue. If there's anything in the sticky I linked to that you find "too difficult", it would be a lot more constructive to post in the sticky thread with questions/suggestions instead of just complaining.

Page 1 of 2