Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:54 PM
Default 'Saving your dog or a stranger' scenario
I suppose this could be a debate. Most of you know this question.

If you could only save one, would you save your drowning dog/cat or a drowning stranger? Why?

What do you think is the right thing to do? Is it morally justified to save your pet?
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 2:15 PM
On the theoretical level, the stranger.

On the practical level (as I imagine the scenario), I would make an attempt to save both until my own life was in jeopardy. Preserving my life would determine which of the two is saved.

And there are any number of practical scenarios in which you could morally justify saving an animal over saving a human being. Maybe this idiot stole your pet and took it out in a leaky rowboat in a storm. Having placed his own and a defenseless animal's life in jeopardy, he can damn well fend for himself.
Banned
#3 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 4:25 PM
Personally, I'd pick my dog, but since I do have a water breed there isn't a great big chance of my dog drowning. If the stranger were, however, a child the stranger would be the one getting saved, my dog can be replaced.
Alchemist
#4 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 4:41 PM
I'd pick my dog with no regrets or second-thoughts. He is like my own brother, I love him way too much to choose a stranger instead of him in absolutely ANY situation. How could I possibly watch my dog drowning in pain, while saving a stranger? IMPOSSIBLE!

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Inventor
#5 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jooxis
I suppose this could be a debate. Most of you know this question.

If you could only save one, would you save your drowning dog/cat or a drowning stranger? Why?

What do you think is the right thing to do? Is it morally justified to save your pet?

Jooxis, I often notice a subject discussed on another forum I frequent, then I see you post a similar topic here on Mod the Sims. So I've got to wonder, are you a member of Mothering?
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 6:47 PM
That's actually strange, I've never heard of "Mothering".
I do occasionally post a debate inspired by what I read elsewhere on the internet, although not just from one website. I did see this one on another forum and found the replies interesting.
Inventor
#7 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 9:43 PM
Like mangaroo, I'd probably try to save both. With me only having one pet, a housecat who's rather small in size, it shouldn't be too hard, just plop the cat on my shoulders on the way to grab the stranger. It's not like the cat would let go, he hates water with a passion (even more so than cats usually do) and he can have a damn strong grip when he wants to.

On a more serious note though, if someone did choose to save the pet over the person (with the exception of mangaroo's example where they swiped the pet), they may have to worry about repercussions from the legal system afterwards, if the family of the drowning victim tried to file suit against you (hell, in certain sue-happy places they might even try and do this even if the drowning victim had stolen the animal), or if the law tried to charge you with involuntary manslaughter (or something of the like) for "not doing anything." It's like what I learned in Driver's Ed, where, if you slam on the brakes (or something similar) to avoid hitting an animal on the road, you'll still be considered "responsible" for the accident.
In the eyes of the law, the life of a complete stranger is considered "more important" than the life of an animal, even if the person is a complete asshole that the world would honestly be better off without and the animal is a beloved and loyal family pet who wouldn't hurt a fly.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 10:05 PM
Well yeah, I'm sure we'd all try to save both but in the theoretical situation only one should be possible

Concerning legality in real life, I don't think you are required by law to save a drowning person, unless you're a lifeguard or something. A drowning person can very easily drown you as well in your attempt to save them, so it is a risky situation. I can't jump in to save a drowning man twice my size as he would likely pull me under and kill me too. So I doubt I'd suffer legal problems for deciding not to risk my own life. But for the sake of the theoretical question imagine that there's no danger for you and no legal aspect either.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 10:53 PM
If only one was possible then I think it would be more logical to try and save the person. But I'd be devestated at losing either, even though I wouldn't know the stranger.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 12:38 AM
I'd do all I could to save the stranger without drowning myself. I'm not a very good swimmer though, so if I saw the situation turning dire I'd save my dog.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.- Proverbs 31:30
Forum Resident
#11 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 12:41 AM
If I had to pick one, it would be my dog definately! I mean I would die myeslf if I saw my dog drown!! I mean, I start worrying when I see my dog following someone on one of their walks down the road from me! And you never know what the stranger would do if you went out to him/her, so I would trust my dog since I know he wouldnt turn on me :P

EDIT: Just realised I cant actually swim myself! (yes I know :S) But I would still try an save my dog even though I'm putting my own life at stake too.

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 3:16 AM
i save my dog(Louger) daily he has to take his Insulin shot twice daily :P
Alchemist
#13 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
Like mangaroo, I'd probably try to save both. With me only having one pet, a housecat who's rather small in size, it shouldn't be too hard, just plop the cat on my shoulders on the way to grab the stranger. It's not like the cat would let go, he hates water with a passion (even more so than cats usually do) and he can have a damn strong grip when he wants to.

On a more serious note though, if someone did choose to save the pet over the person (with the exception of mangaroo's example where they swiped the pet), they may have to worry about repercussions from the legal system afterwards, if the family of the drowning victim tried to file suit against you (hell, in certain sue-happy places they might even try and do this even if the drowning victim had stolen the animal), or if the law tried to charge you with involuntary manslaughter (or something of the like) for "not doing anything." It's like what I learned in Driver's Ed, where, if you slam on the brakes (or something similar) to avoid hitting an animal on the road, you'll still be considered "responsible" for the accident.
In the eyes of the law, the life of a complete stranger is considered "more important" than the life of an animal, even if the person is a complete asshole that the world would honestly be better off without and the animal is a beloved and loyal family pet who wouldn't hurt a fly.

I would prefer to go to jail and be raped etc. rather than don't save my pet. So absolutely no arguments would change a real pet-lover's mind.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheCreeper
I would prefer to go to jail and be raped etc. rather than don't save my pet. So absolutely no arguments would change a real pet-lover's mind.
You can't assume that every pet lover would do the same as you, because they wouldn't.
Alchemist
#15 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 4:24 PM
A real one like me would. I know at least 3 people.

transmogrified
retired moderator
#16 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 4:27 PM
I know at least 3 people.

Does anyone in this thread know fewer than three people?
Test Subject
#17 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 4:48 PM
Theoretically, if I could actually swim and was capable of saving one or the other, I would choose the stranger. Yes it would be horrid for your pet to die and I would miss my dog. But the stranger I'm rescuing could be you or it could be a person who throws dogs in a river (that person would then need to be arrested mind you but that's another subject). The person you could be theoretically rescuing could be my girlfriend or my little brother, and I would hope that you would pick them too. I suppose that's what governs my judgment on this scenario.
Alchemist
#18 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 7:20 PM
Me too, Alan. I talk to Chucky all the time as well. And I would sacrifice myself for him anytime!

Mad Poster
#19 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:28 PM
Why are all these dogs drowning? Isn't swimming instinctual in many breeds?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alan_Gast
I couldn't live with myself if I let one of my best friends die over a potential rapist/child molester. Who really knows what strangers get up to in their own houses or what they think about?

So you think about all strangers as potential rapists? It must be hard for you to go out of your house then.

Well, most dogs know how to swim, at least mine does. I would try to save both, but I'm confident about my dog's swimming, so I guess that I would just have to do a real effort to save the stranger. I'm not really a good swimmer or a very strong person, but yeah, I would try to save the stranger first and then the dog if he can't properly swim.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheCreeper
A real one like me would. I know at least 3 people.
So anyone who values a human life over that of their pet isn't a 'real' pet lover? I don't think so somehow, dear.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 9:09 PM
Just in case anyone's interested:
In common law, there is no duty to rescue. A popular example is the drowning child. Someone who sees a child drowning does not have to try to save it, no matter how many dogs are present.
There's two exceptions: if a person has created a dangerous situation, like setting a house on fire, and in case of a special relationship (spouses, parents, emergency staff, babysitters ...).
In civil law, one has the general duty to save other people's lives as long as that doesn't endanger one's own life.

As for myself, I can't imagine letting a stranger die and save my dog instead. I sure love that dog and if someone hurt her I'd go nuts but I guess it's not in me not to save a human being.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 3:41 AM
I'd have to agree with Mangaroo and anothereyjana - I would always try to save both, until my life was in danger as well.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 12:25 PM
I don't have a dog, so I'd just put the pool ladder back.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#25 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 12:38 PM
Unless it was a child or someone significantly smaller than me... no. I can swim, but I'm not a very strong swimmer, and there's a reason lifeguards have to be trained to save drowning people.

It's not just a matter of going out and dragging them to safety - someone drowning is usually panicking, and often try to climb their rescuers to get out of the water, pushing them under. Maybe if I had some kind of life vest/floating thing/something, or at least two other full-size adults to help - or if the person was unconscious and wouldn't be struggling. But I value my own life enough to think half a second and realize that A) I'm probably not strong enough to save someone nearing my own size and B) I'd like to continue living another day, to see my kid grow up.

If I saw a child drowning, on the other hand - I think I'd be in the water before I even knew what I was doing. I get a little surge of panic whenever I see a child in public not obviously with an adult, or crying, or looking lost. Seeing one actually in mortal danger, I would find it impossible to NOT help.

Dogs can swim. Or at least, most of them can - the dog can save itself, unless it's, I dunno, freezing water - in which case, me jumping is probably just going to result in two deaths. I love animals - I've had pets all my life. But they're usually pretty good at taking care of themselves, and I'm not going to risk my life to save one.

Page 1 of 3