Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Locked thread | Replies: 12486 (Who?), Viewed: 727037 times. | Locked by: Phaenoh Reason: Congrats on 500 pages! (new thread started)
Page 1 of 500
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 9:32 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 12th Feb 2014 at 7:57 PM.
Default The Random Legacy Challenge (1st Thread)
As of 18th January 2011 The Random Legacy Challenge - A Late Night Spin Off's new home will be here: http://randomlegacychallenge.blogspot.com/

It has become increasingly obvious to me that one man cannot possibly hope to keep this challenge updated by myself, so mimi250 calisims,CinderEmma and NutsAndDolts have kindly agreed to be co-admin's with me in keeping updates coming in.

This thread will still be the place to post suggestions and your stories (blogspot isn't good for that) although comments are also welcomed on the blog itself.

Re-read the challenge rules, as they have been updated with most of the great suggestions that have been posted here. and make sure that you check out the new "Optional Rules" section underneath the Main Rules.

I would like to thank everyone who has born with me while I have been probably the worst challenge admin in history in terms of updates, and hope to continue to read your great stories and suggestions.

Edit:

Thank you again,
Martin

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Scholar
DELETED POST
Original Poster
30th Nov 2010 at 9:34 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 20th Dec 2010 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Removed "Flipper"
This message has been deleted by severedsolo. Reason: Challenge moved
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 5:46 PM
Thank you severedsolo for these new rules

2 questions about the 5 star celebrity goal.

1) Is it for all the family or only for the heir?

2).. And moreover, after 2 or 3 generations in town, it's difficult (or impossible) to find enough celebrities to reach the highest stars levels (thanks to the awful EA storyprogression options!! ). To avoid people failing the challenge because of this issue, I think you could allow people to introduce celebrities from other neighboroods or from the exchange (for instance) under a limit you'll choose... It will allow the neighborood to keep a limit of celebrities, which are very useful to reach the 5star level (otherwise it's only by opportunities, and it's awfully long)...

I am testing bridgeport since 3 generations and I've introduced new people in town. Not only I have a sufficient number of celebrities now, but my clubs are always full of people. A way to avoid the game being too boring..

Anyway, I think I'll frequently introduce new people in town in this challenge, even if it's not allowed at all.. in bridgeport, my first generation was elder and the whole town too.. so only elders in dance clubs, lounges and bars (and a few young vampires).. very annoying. When they all died, there was almost anybody in town, except of a few awful townies created by the game and who were totally unfitted with my neighborood..

So that is a issue I wanted to discuss.. I've already ruled my new random legacy and I'll have to start with a single parent/ 2 kids/ criminal career (evil)/ LTW and multicultural (to cross with vampires will be fun ). I'll start as soon as I'll finish to test bands and gigs with my LN family (third generation, YA)
Instructor
DELETED POST
1st Dec 2010 at 11:55 PM Last edited by flanah : 2nd Dec 2010 at 1:40 AM.
This message has been deleted by flanah.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 2:35 AM
I got: Adoptive couple, 3 children. Primary Income of Law Enforcement (Super Spy) and a secondary income of Author. Gen. Goal: 5 star celeb (is this for all or heir?). more fun: Random, which I don't quite understand either :S
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 3:39 AM
Two things I noticed during rolling:
C1 states roll between 1 and 13 however there are 16 jobs listed;
C2 states roll between 1 and 10 where there are 12 options listed (9 and 10 are numbered twice)

My founding generation (1) rolled:
Adoptive couple with 1 child
Stylist and Author
Fulfilled and Hoarder
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 4:32 AM
Can I play this without late night?

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/lolipopsims
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 1:24 PM
Nickey: This challenge is basically the old Random Legacy with a few new rules. A couple of the new rules are for LN, and a couple are just general. So you can play the old challenge, or play this one, and if you roll a LN specific rule (like being a celebrity) reroll until you get something not LN specific.

severedsolo: Yay, I'm glad you posted your new rules. Lately I've been working on tweaking Barnacle Bay, adding some LN venues and apts and such. When I've got that together I'll pick up my legacy again. I'm going to move a clone of my last legacy heir and start fresh. He had rolled Couple, one child, Architect primary, no income secondary, Fulfilled and Random. I'm in the same position as mimi, my PC limitations are making me play with EA story progression, so we are going to need rules to allow for hands on neighborhood management to maintain celebrity populations and whatnot.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 2:58 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 2nd Dec 2010 at 3:15 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi250
Thank you severedsolo for these new rules

2 questions about the 5 star celebrity goal.

1) Is it for all the family or only for the heir?

2).. And moreover, after 2 or 3 generations in town, it's difficult (or impossible) to find enough celebrities to reach the highest stars levels (thanks to the awful EA storyprogression options!! ). To avoid people failing the challenge because of this issue, I think you could allow people to introduce celebrities from other neighboroods or from the exchange (for instance) under a limit you'll choose... It will allow the neighborood to keep a limit of celebrities, which are very useful to reach the 5star level (otherwise it's only by opportunities, and it's awfully long)...

I must admit, I only playtested the 5 star celebrity for 1 Generation, thanks for bringing that to my attention Mimi, especially as Twallans SP is freezing celebrity statuses at the moment (last I heard)

Ok, you can introduce Celebrities to your town, if you want, but noone else. I wont put a hard coded limit on the number, as I havent tested it yet. Dont abuse it though use no more than you need.

Its just the heir who needs to obtain 5-Star. Sorry, didn't make that very clear.

Quote:
is hiring a bartender considered as "A steady flow of drinks" if I ever get the party to remember goal & can a Busker play for tips in the subways?

Yes and Yes, but Bartenders cant be hired if you have "No Strangers"
Originally, I was going to make "Band" its own career, but the Bands seem to be buggy with LN and its hit or miss whether you actually get a gig. Plus, the "Band" self employed career includes Tips anyway.

Quote:
Two things I noticed during rolling: [snip]

My bad, I did a copy and paste on Tiggers Rules then added my own, must have forgotten to change the numbers. Not quite sure what happened with C2, I think I was tired when I did that.... *doh* Thanks.

Quote:
Can I play this without late night?

Of course you can. At the moment though, the only change is to Multi Cultural, and the minor clarification changes. Just reroll for anything that is impossible due to EP missing.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Instructor
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 7:12 PM
Thank you severedsolo
I've had the idea to roll the gender of my heir for each generation (roll a dice between 1 (a man) and 2 ( a woman)) and I think it could be a good idea to add it to the new rules as it seems to give more interest to the challenge.. we know that we can influence the gender by eating 10 apples or 10 watermelons... So, a generation with a single father of 5 kids can be really more challenging than one with a single mother of 5 kids (in my opinion, for other people it may be the contrary)..

Calisims, I am happy to know you'll continue your challenge at Barnacle bay .. I can't wait to read your blog again. I am agree with you about SP (anyway, with LN, I tried Twallan's updated SP and it crashs my game, so I can't use it permanently).. If we want to manage with EA SP, we'll have to introduce new people regularly.. Thank you severesolo for allowing us to do it..

About WA, I think I'll add two community lots I've found in the exchange to allow my sims to learn martial arts or nectar making. I've read many times that travels in WA locations causes bugs and gigs in our neighboroods.. It seems to be worst with every new EP. So I don"t want to take the risk to travel any more, unless I have an adventurer sim in the challenge. So, it'll be the only thing I won't follow in the new rules
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 8:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi250
Thank you severedsolo
I've had the idea to roll the gender of my heir for each generation (roll a dice between 1 (a man) and 2 ( a woman)) and I think it could be a good idea to add it to the new rules as it seems to give more interest to the challenge..

Funny you should say that. I have been playing with a similar rule myself.

What im doing, is I'm rolling for the number of children, and then rolling between 1 and however many children they are meant to have. (for instance if I roll 3 kids I roll 1-3)

Whatever number comes up is the number child that is my heir. (so if I rolled a 2, the 2nd born would be heir) A caveat of this is that I am not aloud to influence the gender, so whatever gender the child is born as, thats what I get whether I like it or not.

I was considering putting it into my updated rules, but thought that it would be a little restrictive.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 11:12 PM
This challenge influenced me to buy Late Night. I was going to anyway, but I was going to wait. I bought online, and saved 10$.

Cali - I'm so sad you're no longer doing your legacy. I was quite addicted.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by severedsolo
Funny you should say that. I have been playing with a similar rule myself.

What im doing, is I'm rolling for the number of children, and then rolling between 1 and however many children they are meant to have. (for instance if I roll 3 kids I roll 1-3)

Whatever number comes up is the number child that is my heir. (so if I rolled a 2, the 2nd born would be heir) A caveat of this is that I am not aloud to influence the gender, so whatever gender the child is born as, thats what I get whether I like it or not.

I was considering putting it into my updated rules, but thought that it would be a little restrictive.

I do similar things to add more fun. Like I always randomize traits. I pick mates based on whomever they have the best relationship with and happens to be single whenever I decided I'm ready for a new addition to the household.

Also, I've noticed -- and it may just be a coincidence,but I don't think so cuz it happens EVERY time -- The gender of the baby is always the same gender as the sim selected when I try for baby. I used to make sure I had a male first to be heir, but now I make it so whoever has the wish to woohoo is the one selected.

I guess when I adopt I'll do a roll for gender from now on. I like your idea about picking an heir, I may do that from now on.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 11:21 PM
I like your heir number roll rule, severed. But I agree some might find that too restrictive. Maybe you could add a set of optional rules people can choose to use if they want, but they don't have to feel like it's required. I love hearing people's suggestions for new ways to randomize the challenge and having more options.

Nickey, I'm sad I had to give up my last legacy, too. The error 12s I was getting made it so I could barely get 10 minutes of play before an error would occur. So, now that I'm playing with EA SP again, I hope I can keep a legacy going. And I'll be continuing from almost where I left off, since I'm moving my last heir to Barnacle Bay to start over. I cloned him as a teen and make him YA when I move him, so there will be some empty time between my last blog update and the start of the new, but it's better than nothing. I hope, lol.
And yay, great deal on LN. I love having night clubs again, I missed those from TS2.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 6:27 AM Last edited by NickeyElysse : 3rd Dec 2010 at 7:03 AM.
That sounds great. I get very attached to my sims, and often move non-heirs to the bin to play in a different neighborhood when my legacy family is frustrating me and I need a break. I haven't had a chance to play sims much lately with finals coming up.

I've not had any problems with my sims games at all, even after installing updates. I used to. So I did two different things, i'm not sure which one worked or if it was a combination of both. I made and play from an administrative log in account -- not sure quite what that means-- (found the info on how to do that online) and I don't use the launcher to open sims.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 7:00 PM
This is the farthest I've ever gotten in a legacy. It's so much fun, and thanks to the rolls I don't get unbelievably bored. I'm at Gen 4, who are about to adopt Gen 5.

I did a fun thing for this Gen - I couldn't decide which of the two boys would be heir, they were both so fabulous, that I got them to level three painting skill and made them, on two side by side easels, starting at the same time, paint a small painting. Best painting wins!

So now my eldest, the gen 4 heir, has just hit young adult and moved in with his boyfriend now husband and the loser was booted out to live with his two potential spouses - I made him bi, he had a girlfriend and a boyfriend when he aged up - I wonder how storyprog will set him up.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 8:36 PM
One thing I'm a little confused about... I rolled:

2) Random – Click the random button every time you're asked to pick traits. This applies to the heir in the current generation. For example, when generation 1 has their first child, they roll the rules for generation 2. “Random” comes up as one of those rules, so for this child and all of their siblings their traits must be randomized. But if that rule doesn't come up for generation 3, the children of the generation 2 heir don't need to be randomized. You may choose LTWs for the sims.

I made my first generation sims, and randomize their traits. was this necessary? Do I have to randomize their kid or no?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 3:22 AM
If you roll random for your founder generation, then I would think only the founding couple would need to be randomised, not their kids.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 3:46 AM
Me too, but just clarifying. thank you!
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:04 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 4th Dec 2010 at 4:57 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camalus28
I made my first generation sims, and randomize their traits. was this necessary? Do I have to randomize their kid or no?

Just randomise the founder(s). I had a similar situation come up with "Runs in the Family" when I first started playing and Tigger said to just make the founders have the trait.

Im on Generation 9 of my legacy now, I'm still playing with my cooked up house rules from the old challenge, but once Generation 10 arrive I'll start with the new ones on here.

On another note: I'm opening the field to suggestions for new rolls, specifically Generation Goals and Misc. Fun.

Ooh, and I have added a roll to "Generation Goals" - Death Eater, its number 11 so check it out

Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:39 PM
Default A little confused... sorry
If my sim has a normal career for their income can they still make money fishing or writing? Is this forbidden?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 5:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurestar2009
If my sim has a normal career for their income can they still make money fishing or writing? Is this forbidden?

That's forbidden. Basically anything that's listed as an income source in the possible career rolls is forbidden to those who haven't rolled that career. So, because fishing and writing are both possible careers, only Sims who roll those careers can make money from them.
Outside of your rolled career, the only way to make more money is doing opportunities that come up, and buying venues around town.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 12:22 AM
So, I started (or restarted, lol) my challenge in Barnacle Bay.

I made a clone of the last heir of my old legacy in SV, Risk McDermott, and I'm using his generation roll to start out. Couple, one child, primary income as architect, no income for the spouse. Generation goal is fulfilled and misc fun is random.
I kept the traits Risk got with each age up (rolled randomly for his re-created character, Computer Whiz, Friendly, Photographer's Eye, Light Sleeper and Family Oriented. His :TW is Visionary (max painting and photography)
His wife Zoe rolled Angler, Good Sense of Humor, Light Sleeper, Shy and Vegetarian. Her LTW is Renaissance Sim (max 3 skills - she's going for Fishing, Repair and Gardening)

I haven't yet got enough to start a blog with, but here are a few quick pics.

Risk inherited his mother's nose.

Zoe fishing. Barnacle Bay actually sucks for fishing spots, btw. I had to add fish spawners to a pond they categorized as a fishing spot because it had none at all (seriously), and I added a pond to the science facility for robot fishes.

This is their teeny cottage. It's built on a 30x40 lot so it can grow with the legacy.

Here's the interior. That's all of it. I think Risk was inspired by sorbet flavors when he chose the colors.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 4:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisims
Outside of your rolled career, the only way to make more money is ... buying venues around town.

Actually, in the new rules thats forbidden too. "Flipper" Number 14 on the Career Roll has that covered.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 5:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by severedsolo
Actually, in the new rules thats forbidden too. "Flipper" Number 14 on the Career Roll has that covered.

In my original legacy, I built a family cemetery community lot and bought it for my family. Because it was an owned community lot, it generated income. The same was true for the park I had to build for the 'living green' requirement, and I bought a junkyard lot for my inventor career Sim to work in.
Is all that forbidden now? TBH, for me the new flipper career isn't very appealing, and I rather not lose my ability to own and keep community lots because of it.
Instructor
#24 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 8:37 PM
I am happy to read your story again Calisims.. I hope you'll update your blog too..

Here is Emmy Shepard, generation 1 in Bridgeport (I don't know if it's a good idea to play in Bridgeport but as I 've the goal "change of scenery" in generation 3 I'll be able to move if things start to work bad)

Here are her goals

Single parent/ 2 kids/ Criminal (evil) career/ LTW/ multicultural.

For her first day in Bridgeport, she went to the criminal building to be hired.. and she met her boss, who is a vampire. It's nice because it'll be easier to fulfill my wish ( I'd want her to have kids with a vampire )

She lives in a small but comfortable apartment

I've rolled for the heir (thanks for this good idea severedsolo) and the second child will be my heir. I won't do anything to influence the pregnancy as I want to be surprised by the gender..

See you soon
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 2:50 AM Last edited by NickeyElysse : 7th Dec 2010 at 4:04 AM.
Just got Late Night in the mail. I'm so excited! Bout to try it out now. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't crash. Backed up. . . I think. I'm not sure if I'm going about it properly. I don't think I'm ready to play this legacy yet, but will continue to spy on those of you who wish to share your experiences. I'm currently doing another legacy challenge that I'm not bored of yet.

Edit: crashed, even though I opened it without the launcher, and it had not been updated since the last update which worked perfectly. I think I'll delete my mods and see if that helps. (Sad)

Edit again: I did the edp thing, and it seems to be working. I've only tried bridgeport for a few minutes. I'm scared to go back to my other town just yet. I'm not ready for failage. So, I'll see how long this'll let be play before I decide to get brave.

I didn't even have the grayed out lot problem that I was reading about! I fricken love technology.

Also: EA is effing up and they really need to get it together.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 500

Section jump