Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Locked thread | Replies: 12486 (Who?), Viewed: 727141 times. | Locked by: Phaenoh Reason: Congrats on 500 pages! (new thread started)
Page 2 of 500
Instructor
#26 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 9:55 PM
ok I started playing last night and I set gen 1 and saved then went to sleep , here is what I got so far :

Single Parent
1 kid
Non-Standard Career - Celebrity
Expansionist
Runs in the Family (commitment issues)

that's Gia Esposito (Gia cuz I was watching Gia and Esposito cus it's the only Italian name that I can spell >< )

Traits : Star Quality, loves the outdoors , commitment issues , charismatic , lucky
she is a Gemini her fav's : black, Indie and Fruit Parfait

All and all, no good.
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 2:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi250
Here is Emmy Shepard, generation 1 in Bridgeport (I don't know if it's a good idea to play in Bridgeport but as I 've the goal "change of scenery" in generation 3 I'll be able to move if things start to work bad)
I thought you were only suppose to roll for the next generation when the first kid of that generation is born?

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/lolipopsims
Instructor
#28 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 3:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyElysse
I thought you were only suppose to roll for the next generation when the first kid of that generation is born?

No, I roll each generation in the same time.. So I know in advance if I'll be able to manage the challenge. I don't want to play 4 generations, for instance, to discover later that I'll have to start over because the fifth generation is "a single woman, business woman, 5 kids, perfect kids, no strangers" lol..

In fact, I think I'd have prefer to roll after the birth of the first kid but only if we were allowed to reroll before a "bad" combination. There are a few impossible combinations in this challenge..
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 4:43 AM
Right. I got one and that's why I stopped playing. I had to have a single father adopt 3 kids who had to be all half-siblings. I did not know how I was going to pull that off.
That's not a bad idea. I think I'll try that and save it for when I'm ready to play. But I do like being surprised. . . BUT it might keep me from quitting in boredom or frustration. Yup, gonna do that right now. . . .And put it away in case I change my mind later and decide I want to be surprise. . .

Yes, I've very indecisive.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 6:01 AM
Okay, so I rolled for my ten generations. I even went to a random name generator and got ambiguous names for everyone. I think I'll go ahead and get started. I'll do it in Bridgeport, to give me the opportunity to check out the town.
My first generation is Cameron and Chase Parker and for them I rolled: Couple 4 kids Medical Collector Awesome Hands off.
Kids will be named Sidney,Terry, Bailey, Jordan, in that order. Bailey will be the heir.
My awesome will be collecting all the bugs and gems (heart cut or better). I heard there were some new bugs and gems that come with LN, but since I don't know what they are, I'm not commiting myself to finding them. If I do randomly, great, if not, whatev. I'm excited. It will be challenging finding bugs and gems in Bridgeport I think.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Test Subject
#31 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 6:24 PM
So I'm on Gen 5 - my heir, Heather, is a single mother with three children, who must all be half siblings. Sigh. I picked the gene donors when she was a teen, so while I got one down the second one is being annoying. And how weird are Sims 3 genetics - her biological daughter has her adopted father's dyed green hair. I mean, passing down dyed hair, fine. But she's adopted! That's not possible! What the hell, Sims 3?
Instructor
#32 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 8:01 PM
lol, lovelyhera.. green hair is the most common hair found in the game.. a kind of dirty green/brown hair that is not pretty at all. But I don't think there is a link between the girl and his adopted father
Mad Poster
#33 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 2:07 PM
Ugh, EA story progression is making me crazy. Every time I have my Sim read the paper, I get a notification that one of the town toddlers or babies has died of starvation. And EA keeps moving more vanilla pudding families in.
I'm not really sentimental about sim babies, but I am interested in keeping my town alive and keeping some facial feature diversity by having the original town inhabitants breed with each other. They may not all be pretty, but at least they have unique features. I'm not interested in having my town's original bloodlines die out and have the town taken over by the identical vanilla puddings that move in.
So, I've reinstalled Twallan's story progression. I'm going to make the settings as limited as possible so it's focused mainly on keeping my town breeding (and not killing off the babies). I'll see how it goes. And when it comes to the point of throwing too many error 12s at me, I'll pack it up and move to another town, even if I haven't rolled that option.
Anyway, just voicing my frustration. My next door neighbors just lost their 2nd child and I was just about ready to turn it off and never play again I was so frustrated.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 8:06 PM Last edited by NickeyElysse : 10th Dec 2010 at 8:37 PM.
That's so odd Cali. I've never had an error 12. I don't even know what it is. I don't know about the dying babies thing cuz I don't read the newspaper. I use Twallan's too, which is great. Mostly cuz I just like to know what's going on in town for snooping purposes. As for no pudding, Awesome Mod is said to take care of that. It makes sure the NCP and move ins (I think) have randomized features and voices. I just installed it before bed and am about to test it out now. I, of course, had to make sure the story progression was off so it wouldn't interfere with Twallan's.

I am sorry if you already know all this and chose otherwise.

Edit: Just tested it out, and I'm thinking my game hates awesomeness.
It wouldn't load. It would get to the loading screen and just sit there. No filling bar, no scrolling messages. Just lameyness. So after trouble shooting the only thing that worked was getting rid of awesome. again

Maybe I had it set up in some contradictory way. But whatev. It's too much of a pain in the butt. I bet there's some slider program out there that has nothing to do with awesome that'll help with the ncp and immigrant faces.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Mad Poster
#35 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 9:45 PM
Yeah, I knew that about awesomemod. I used to use it, but it's a huge mod and not all the features are tunable or even documented, so I ultimately decided there was more about it I didn't like than stuff I did, so I stopped using it.
Twallan's master controller lets you change NPC's faces, so I can edit any that do move in. But I like my town to have a sense of history so I'd prefer the people that live there already to create new generations, rather than having them die childless only to be replaced by generic Sims that I have to make faces for.
Error 12s happen if your PC doesn't have enough memory to save a large town. So, with my specs after a neighborhood gets into around the 5th generation or so, its file is too big to save. Using Twallan's story progression helps cause this problem because having the town be active adds to the data that needs to be saved. So I was trying EA's story progression to see if my town could go further with less activity.
From what I've read, when story progression makes a Sim starve to death it's to control the population. But on the same day that it's starving some born in game baby to death, it's moving in a family of vanilla puddings. I'm guessing the process is they randomly make a family to move in, find that the town already has plenty of people and doesn't need a new family, so they kill off some current residents to make room.
Well, I'm not sure that's how it works, I just know I'd rather go back to using Twallan's story progression where I can turn immigration pressure to 0.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 12:59 AM
Sounds like a great plan. I think I have a pretty good memory, but I usually quit legacies around gen 5 . . .so . . .We shall see. I've already postponed this challenge and I'm not even to gen 2 yet. . . I have a problem.

Can't wait till your next update!

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Instructor
#37 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 10:27 PM Last edited by flanah : 12th Dec 2010 at 11:14 PM.
hello, I just rolled for gen 2 rules and I got random for the "Miscellaneous Fun", however gen 1 had runs in the family , so do I give the heir that trait and randomize the others or should I just re-roll?

+ I have a suggestion .. for the "Change of Scenery" how about adding a sub-roll to pick one of the 4 options you listed and adding a 5th one for moving into the high-rise apartment thingy ^^

All and all, no good.
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 8:41 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 14th Dec 2010 at 8:53 PM.
Sorry havent checked in guys, been busy with the real world, havem't been able to Sim at all.

@flanah "Runs in the Family" only effects the founders if rolled for Gen 1. For Gen 2 just use "Random"

Re: Change of Scenery that was actually my original idea, but I decided to leave it open as not everyone wants their sims to be forced to move to a new town. I will consider making it optional though (got a few optional rules im working on atm)

@Cali Yeah im not too happy about "Flipper" either, to be honest. Originally it was just a "makedo" fix for Tiggers messing up the career rolls (14 was both Standard and Non standard careers) Ill see about replacing it with something better. I hadnt considered family graveyards and such, thats a good point.

The main reason I'm not happy with Flipper is I think it goes against the "spirit" of the challenge. I have no idea what Tigger had in mind when she created this, but my personal "vision" if you will, is of a challenge that doesn't really feel like your playing a challenge. Obviously you have to have goals and such, but mainly you should be able to play as you normally would.

On a Side Note: Im considering doing away with Tiggers "Laundry must be enabled" rule. I honestly don't see the point of it, just throwing it out there, any objections? speak now or forever hold your peace.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 9:16 PM Last edited by calisims : 15th Dec 2010 at 3:03 PM.
I've been thinking about the flipper career a bit. To me 'flipper' is focused on buying a lot, improving it and selling it again for a profit. I'd be more interested in 'investor', where you buy a community lot and live off its profits (improving it to make higher profits if you want). Of course, people could still choose to flip rather than retain the investment. This could include becoming partners with the rabbit hole businesses, too. And we'd have to decide if all properties must be sold when that generation dies (or before).

And we could just write an exception for allowed types of community lots for outside the rolled career, like the family graveyard, the park for the living green requirement, and an allowance for owning a community lot as the 'something awesome' misc fun thing.

As for laundry, I like it so I'd have it enabled anyway even without the rule. I guess the point was to have more chores for the Sims to do, and a bit of extra expense in buying the machines or using a laundromat. I don't care if that rule gets removed one way or the other.

ETA: I just thought of another exception for allowing ownership of comm. lots outside the 'flipper' type career (if we decide to keep such a career, lol). There is a LTW for mixology that requires owning a bar as well as maxing the skill, so obviously anyone trying for that LTW would have to be able to own a bar. You could also make that exception for anyone who rolls the mixology career, too, allowing them to own a bar if they choose.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 2:10 PM
OK I finally started up my blog for my current legacy, Here

Chapter one is up and will be very soon followed by more, as I'm already up to generation 2 in the game. But I have to get to work now, so I will have to blog later.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 3:22 PM
Chapter 2 is up now, and that catches me up to my game.
http://mcdermottrandomlegacy.blogspot.com/

Generation 1 went by fast, it wasn't very exciting, but I have higher hopes for generation 2.
Instructor
#42 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 7:08 PM Last edited by mimi250 : 21st Dec 2010 at 9:20 PM.
Very good beginning Calisims

After two appointments in Bridgeport's clubs, it was not hard for Emmy to have her boss in her bed. She was in love with Wogan Hemlock, and this love led to the births of two sons: Matt and Andy.

The household has not a lot of money. Emmy has not worked hard since the beginning as she was occupied with her love and her pregnancies. She is only at the level 2 of her career, although she's almost an adult.

The two boys are both vampires. Matt look like his father, who is awfully ugly (sighs) but it seems that Andy will look like his mother. I hope it will be the case, because I've rolled for my heir.. And Andy will be my heir.

Matt

Andy

Despite all her efforts, Emmy discovered that Wogan was not ready to leave his wife (Morrigan) and their 3 kids to live with her. Wogan is a vampire and Morrigan and their kids too, so he's sure it'll be too hard to live with a human, a woman with basic needs and who will be elder and will die quickly.. Moreover, Morrigan is Emmy's partner in the criminal career and Wogan doesn't want to work in an atmosphere of fights, cries and arguments.

Questions about the rules:

1) Is it possible to turn our active sims into vampires, or momies? I think it could be better to find rules for that.

2) I think it's a pity there is no rules for couples or kids. I mean that the section A or B are so unchanged.. Why not introduce divorced couple or divorced and re-married couples, or 1 kid and 2 adopted kids if we have rolled for 3 childs for instance..

3) "flipper" career is not a problem for me, but I think it may be boring after a few times. If the only thing we have to do is buy properties, it'll not be very challenging for this generation..
Mad Poster
#43 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 8:19 PM
Emmy is very pretty, mimi. Hopefully her heir will inherit her looks.
The Bridgeport vampires aren't a good looking bunch, at least not the males. I like Wogan's wife Morrigan, though she has a wide head.
lytefoot made a list of alternative family structure rules, I just dug the list out of the original thread:

A. Marital Structure (roll 1-20)
1-5) Single Parent - You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. If your heir is female, you aren't allowed to move in the father of any children they may have. If your heir is male, the mother may be moved in for the pregnancy but must leave the lot within 24 sim hours of giving birth. Do not roll for section D.
6) Adoptive Single Parent You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. In addition, you must obtain all of your children via adoption. Do not roll for section D.
7) Mixed Single Parent - You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. In addition, you must produce at least one biological child and obtain one child via adoption. You may exceed the number of children rolled in section B in order to accomplish this (though to the minimum necessary). Do not roll for section D.
8-16) Couple You must obtain a spouse or unmarried partner.
17) Adoptive Couple You must obtain a spouse or unmarried partner. In addition, you must obtain all of your children via adoption.
18) Mixed Couple - You must obtain a spouse or unmarried partner. In addition, you must produce at least one biological child and obtain one child via adoption. You may exceed the number of children rolled in section B in order to accomplish this (though to the minimum necessary).
19) Step Children - You must obtain a spouse or unmarried partner who already has one or more children who are not your sim's biological children. You are allowed to exceed the number of children rolled in section B when moving in the spouse, and may produce children with the new spouse (by any means--biological or adopted) in order to reach the total you rolled. However, your heir must be one of the step children.
20) Childless - You may obtain a spouse or unmarried partner, but must not produce any children. Do not roll for section B, and reroll any result in section E or F related to children or child-rearing. You must obtain an heir by other means. For example, you might move in a friend, or the child of a relative. Your heir must not be moved in via cheats (rather by the "ask to move in" interaction), must be a Teen or Young Adult when moved in, and must not be created directly by you in CAS.

I forgot about them until you mentioned it just now.
I agree with you that the flipper career would be kind of boring, especially if you roll no income for secondary (or have no spouse at all). Having Sims with nothing to do all day gets kind of dull.
Instructor
#44 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 9:26 PM
Thanks Calisims, I remember the Lytefoot's rules. It sounds great. Maybe severedsolo will agree to add them in the general rules.
Instructor
#45 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 12:11 PM Last edited by flanah : 19th Dec 2010 at 12:24 PM.
here what I did so far :

that's my creepy baby

and his creepy father

he is a child now , I rolled for his rules and what I got was (Adoptive Single Parent, 4 kids, Music (Classical), Death Eater, Random traits)

his traits so far : ( light sleeper, Neurotic, Virtuoso)

and as for gen 1 , his mom is 4 stars Celebrity now and I added a dark themed studio apartment where my garage used to be.. she is now an adult with 14 days left

All and all, no good.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 2:59 AM
Is your baby daddy also Wogan Hemlock, Flanah?

My chapter 3 is up now:
http://mcdermottrandomlegacy.blogspot.com/
Scholar
Original Poster
#47 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 12:51 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 20th Dec 2010 at 1:25 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi250
Is it possible to turn our active sims into vampires, or momies? I think it could be better to find rules for that.

As it stands at the moment Vampire turning is fine. Ghosts are currently restricted to only being for "Multi Cultural" purposes when resurrecting. This may change later on, see below. Likewise Mummies are fine. Bear in mind though, in an unmodded game Mummies can't reproduce.

On the subject of the family structure, I definitely agree that needs work, its actually right up there at the top of my list of things to change. Unfortunately the "things to look" at section is getting a bit bigger than the "things i've changed" section. I will try to redress the balance. Unfortunately I have alot of other commitments at the moment. Between work, (I work at a hotel, so its a nightmare over christmas) and making sure I spend enough time with my fiancee, things are a bit hectic. I promise there is something on the way though.

Flipper is gone. Primary Income is now 1-19 not 1-20 (I decided not to upset the balance between standard and Ambitions Careers, so I just moved everything down 1 number)

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Scholar
Original Poster
#48 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 1:01 PM Last edited by severedsolo : 20th Dec 2010 at 1:21 PM.
Default The Official "In Testing" Post
From now on this post will be used for rules which are "In Testing"

Basically this will be used for Rules which seem like a good idea, but may or may not work. The idea is that if you want to play rules which are known to work in terms of gameplay, you use the rules from Page 1. If you want to help out with my testing then you can use the extended rules here as well as those on Page 1 (the numbers will be a continuation of page 1's numbers where applicable). This will also be the platform for the "Optional" Rules, so some of the rules posted here will never make it onto Page 1.

Im making this now, as its still fairly findable on Page 2. I should have really reserved an extra post at the beginning but didn't think about it at the time.

First Draft of new "Family Structure" Rules (replaces Section "A")
A. Marital Structure
1-3) Single Parent - You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. If your heir is female, you aren't allowed
to move in the father of any children they may have. If your heir is male, the mother may be moved in for the
pregnancy but must leave the lot within 24 sim hours of giving birth. Do not roll for section D.
4) Adoptive Single Parent You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. In addition, you must obtain all of
your children via adoption. Do not roll for section D.
5) Single Parent: "Long Lost Heir" - You must not retain a spouse or partner on the lot. All children must be raised OUTSIDE your Active Household. When the chosen heir becomes a YA they must be moved in using the "Ask To Move In" interaction (NOT using Edit Town or any Mods/Cheats) If your heir is male, you aren't allowed to move the mother in under any circumstances. If your heir is female then you may use Edit Town or a Mod/cheat which allows you to move babies (who can't normally be moved) into the fathers household as soon as the baby is born. Children born outside the active household still count towards the child limit. (If using EA's story progression I highly recommend making the "adoptee" household playable at least once to stop them emigrating) Do Not Roll for Section D
to move in the mother of any children you may have.
6-10) Couple You must obtain a spouse or unmarried partner.
11) Adoptive Couple You must obtain a spouse or unmarried couple. In addition, you must obtain all of your
children via adoption.
12) Couple: "Long Lost Heir"- You must obtain a spouse or unmarried couple. All children must be raised OUTSIDE your Active Household. When the chosen heir becomes a YA they must be moved in using the "Ask To Move In" interaction (NOT using Edit Town or any Mods/Cheats) When the children are born they must be "adopted" by another family and raised by them. In this circumstance you may use Edit Town or a Mod/cheat which allows you to move babies (who can't normally be moved) into the "surrogate" household as soon as the baby is born. Children born outside the active household still count towards the child limit. (If using EA's story progression I highly recommend making the "adoptee" household playable at least once to stop them emigrating)

The Famous "Heir" Rule
Once you know how many children your Sims need to have, Roll a random number between 1 and <Number of Children>. The number rolled will be the number child born (in chronological order) who must be heir.

If playing this rule, you are not allowed under any circumstances to influence any of your children's gender.

Example: Section B rolls 4 Children. You then roll between 1 and 4, and produce a 3. This means the 3rd Child born will be the heir.

Instructor
#49 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 4:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisims
Is your baby daddy also Wogan Hemlock, Flanah?

yea he is , I just checked hehe

guys what do you think about adding a roll for the Heir's sexuality?

All and all, no good.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 8:17 PM
That will make things interesting. And tough.

Just call me Nickey.

The Godfrey Legacy
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 500

Section jump