Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 2770 (Who?), Viewed: 286494 times.
Page 111 of 111
Test Subject
#2751 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 4:40 AM
I've been trying to build pools on my lots for the Emperor/Pharaoh family (apartment base lots) and every time i try to add onto an existing pool or try to save with pools built on the lot, my game crashes. i tried before and after moving my families onto the lot. Anything you guys may be able to suggest??

Westeria Sims 2 Test of Time: http://westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com
Lab Assistant
#2752 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 4:12 PM
I've never had anything like this before and the only thing I found online is that there's apparently a bug that can crash the game when you try to load an apartment lot with a pool with lights. But I can't quite imagine you put the pool lights on a lot in this challenge?

One thing you could try though would be running the HCDU from the simwardrobe (under Sims 2, Programs) and even if it shows no conflicts, take out all your downloads and try to load the lot.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Test Subject
#2753 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 8:21 AM
Hello all! After a year (I rarely have time to play sims so it is slow going for me) I finally FINALLY updated my ToT challenge for gen 1 round 5. You can read it here: http://cjar4u.wix.com/bubblesandsims

I've had so much fun with this challenge even though I don't have a lot of time to devote to it. Right now I'm working on making an ROS to fit the ToT Neanderthal era so I can implement it in gen 2 and add something extra to it.

Love reading everybody's updates when I get the chance; you all have such interesting ways of interpreting and attempting the challenge.

My Test of Time challenge updates can be found HERE.
Lab Assistant
#2754 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 2:20 PM
Wow its been a long time since i've been on this thread. At the end of July I was moving onto the Roman Era(I was so excited) and then my laptop failed I lost everything. To be honest I lost a lot of hope since I had so much CC and pretty much did not want to start this again. Although I had my mind made up I missed the Sims 2 so much and my TOT game. So now I am in the process of reinstalling everything(after i go through this whole thread) and starting from the beginning.

Also Happy New Years to you all
Lab Assistant
#2755 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 5:14 AM
Happy new year to you too. And everyone else. I haven't played in weeks, but I'm already done with the Neanderthals. The posts are all scheduled, so there's a few more days before I run out of posts.

Check out my ToT neighborhood Tiempo Pasa. Last updated: January 10, 2015
Family Trees
Lab Assistant
#2756 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmana0117
I've been trying to build pools on my lots for the Emperor/Pharaoh family (apartment base lots) and every time i try to add onto an existing pool or try to save with pools built on the lot, my game crashes. i tried before and after moving my families onto the lot. Anything you guys may be able to suggest??

It's been forever since I've played TS2, but can you move the families out, save their home lots to the bin and then start a new game where you can just load the homes, add the pools in the new game, then resave them to the bin or play test them there?

...I'm not sure exactly, but if there is an error with just the home itself you try it with a brand new family this way, or do the opposite- save the families to bin, open new game, put them in a default or pre-made lot that you add a pool to, etc etc.

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
Test of Time Challenge! Family Tree, Stats & Pics
Watch my Test of Time Challenge Let's Play on Youtube!
Lab Assistant
#2757 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:22 PM
I feel like everyone else- I haven't been able to play my TOT for so long! (Probably three months at least? I'm never this busy in winter, what gives? T_T

Oh well, SOON, perhaps... >_>

Lab Assistant
#2758 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:25 PM
Putting an existing family in another hood is big no-no and I think putting a formerly occupied lot in the bin and then in another hood isn't doing any good either. So, if anyone tries something like this: Do it in a test hood that you can delete afterwards.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#2759 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 6:53 PM
Well I finally got some play-time in this week (and took some time off work to do it maybe).
The neighborhood is back in action and all I can say is- I probably shouldn't have downloaded items from the Sims 3 site. So many items had conflicts, I had game crash errors etc (I THINK I fixed it by updating my downloads folder by creating a dummy game without any CC...

Anyways then I spent half a day reassigning all my sims in their castes so story progression would stop trying to marry slaves to emperor (can't have any of that lol).

But I have to ask you all... what do you do when two people who aren't of the same class really seem to like one another? Do you make any sort of provision for that?

Also the game forgot that a brother and sister were related and married them when I wasn't playing either, resulting in triplets... :/

Lab Assistant
#2760 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 8:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsnack
Also the game forgot that a brother and sister were related and married them when I wasn't playing either, resulting in triplets... :/

I'm curious, how are you going to deal with that?

This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my ToT Challenge
Instructor
#2761 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 3:46 PM
The last time I played my ToT challenge was about a month ago. I'm currently playing my other neighborhood, WIldehollow, until the end of the first chapter there (6 more simdays on each of the three lots) and then I'll return to ToT. I'm still on the first generation in the Neanderthal era. My sims are still just hunters and gatherers. I think I have about 2 full seasons to go before I hit generation two, and right now it's in that intermittent state with not a whole lot happening. But after 1 season the first of my teens will start to hit independent teen stage which means they'll get married off to pre-arranged mates according to the clans' rules. That'll shake things up for sure!
Test Subject
#2762 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 10:14 PM
I was finally able to start the Roman/Egyptian era! my first gen 3 baby grew up into an adult over Thanksgiving, and since then i've been putting everyone into ranks, getting all the households organized with who's-gonna-marry-whom, and making all the lots for the new era. Making the home lots took about twice as long as expected because I started with apartment-base lots so i could have the emperor's slaves living on the same lot, but because i made my own lots things were kinda glitchy so i just made them all residential lots (one family on each lot) and am going to have slaves work for the higher-ups in sim-run businesses (my first time really using the features of OfB, i'm liking it so far). Though it's going to be hard for my sims not to interact with sims from different locations (Roman sims vs. Egyptian sims), i think i'll have it down by the time gen 6 rolls around. i have stuff up on my blog! www.westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com

Test Subject
#2763 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 7:53 AM
Hello all. Just starting this challenge, and was wondering where pets fit in? Posting from my cell so it won't let me search the thread very well, so I'm sorry if this has already beentered covered!
Thanks!
Lili
Forum Resident
#2764 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 8:06 AM
@princesslilian most of us figure our own rules for pets. it all depends on how you play really. Two of my families adopted a few stray dogs, and one a stray cat. The dogs have bred with one another and I send some of the offspring off lot when some of the kids move off lot. Whether the kids adopt a few more strays to breed with, is yet to be decided, and I'm not (yet) giving an advantage to the families with pets vs the non pet owners. I also don't have any player made rules concerning pets, aside from they're exempt from the "loser dies in a fight" rule. But I think some of the others have rules concerning when a family can adopt, or if a per adoption advances the family/hood in society. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Test Subject
#2765 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 2:38 PM
So i went back to my old test of time challenge bc im still attached to all of those sims and theyr just entering the roman era (the new ones only in gen 2 and i really wanna get to roman!)
anyway, there is such a HUGE population boom that its hard to keep track of whos who! One of the main reasons i started a new one was to be able to keep track of everything compared to this mess, but i really like this one better lol
Any advice for pairing people in this huge mess of a population boom?

"Don't mistake coincidence for fate."
~Mr. Eko, LOST
Test Subject
#2766 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 7:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibee1323

What i've done is make a grid with the girls as the columns and boys as rows, and then go through and figure out who is related to each other (only cousins count as "family") and then just go from there.
(let's say that the numbers are last names
........Girl 1.......Girl 2........Girl 3
boy1....X...................................
Boy2...................X....................
Boy3...................................X.....

so based on this, Girl1 can be paired with boy2 or boy3.
But when getting into the game, it's a lot more complicated than this because of family alliances, feuds, class ranks, etc.

Lab Assistant
#2767 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 8:40 PM Last edited by Chicklet : 3rd Feb 2016 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Update
sims2testoftime.weebly.com
I have begun a rewrite of the Test of Time Rules. This is a revamp. Most eras are shorter, and additional eras are added. I will try to explain major changes as I go along. As I write if you have any interest whatsoever, please say so. If I feel like no one wants to read it I might not be motivated to finish publishing it.

I'm going to try to make this a playing through history thing. I've been thinking about what I want to bring to each era. I want them to be different from each other, be able to use cc available from the era, make it fun and interesting, while still making it a little challenging.

Something has really bothered me about no bathing for the neanderthals. It isn't the complaining or the challenge. It isn't even the sink breaking and the kids not being able to take sponge baths. It's that really awesome simstone mammoth shower I don't get to play with.

And no npc? It's not that I don't want my founding families to populate the world. It's that I want to play witches and werewolves. I want the possibility of my sims joining a secret society. And I want my sims to be able to take long journeys. (Vacations) Ok, maybe not all eras... I've thought that out too.

I want to explore eras the ToT doesn't touch. I have great ideas for challenges that have not been published, and they would be perfect for later eras.

I want to eventually have separate kingdoms, but not have an outrageous number of households. I notice that there are certain rules that are designed to kill of sims. I've considered this for later eras. Also one must have excess sims to kill off, so I've considered that too. And I want to have some recourse if total disaster strikes. First time I played all my sims died off by the end of the last generation of Neanderthals. Fires and ghosts....

I hope people will take a look, give their opinions. Either here or at my site.

I am not trying to take from SwallowTail who made this great challenge. I am enhancing it. It's really a separate challenge. But I have to give credit. SwallowTail is the original writer of the challenge, right?

My signature line has a link to my site with the rules I am writing. It also has a phenomenal "Where can I find?" list for various eras. I've since found lots more but have not been updating it regularly. Please ask if there is anything you are looking for. Chances are good I've seen it around.

UPDATE: Posted General Rules and Neanderthal Rules

Visit my Test of Time Challenge site: sims2testoftime.weebly.com.
Lab Assistant
#2768 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:12 PM
I like what you've come up with so far - are you planning on sharing more soon?

Kulo Seeri - Home of the Nuidya Tribe
"Not SimNation and Proud"
Instructor
#2769 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 5:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibee1323

I used to have a word document.

The main part of it was a table like the one above. Each time a child turned into a teen I would add them to a table in the correct box. Next to the child's name I would make a note of which family they came from. For example putting Fern (HW2) would mean that Fern is the child of the original Harmon family and the second Wynn family and from this I could work out who she is related to. When looking for spouses I used to work my way down the table and look for two sims who can marry. Once I paired two sims up I would leave them in the table but highlight them the same colour. Once they were married in game I removed them from the table.

I had a list of all the married couples in each generation below the table so I could be conscious of doing things like marrying all the children of one family to children from the same different family each time. This way I could also make sure to marry off a few kids from each family and realize if I was having trouble finding a spouse for the one and only surviving Moran because I was trying to marry off all seven Harmon children.

I used to also list which round couples would be married in and when I had to make new houses, how the different households of the same name were related etc.

As for my tot I haven't done much I'm still trying to build it up and start again.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Forum Resident
#2770 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 9:59 PM
I have (surprise, surprise) a spreadsheet to track my couples. Gen One isn't on it, but since there's only the founders there, that doesn't matter. Gen two has a sheet that lists the boys in one set of coulmns and the girls in another. When I pair off a couple, the girl's name moves over next to the boy's. Gen Three's sheet uses the same format as the Gen Two sheet, but also lists the maiden name of the child's mother. Since the bloodlines aren't too diluted yet, a child can't marry anyone with the same last name as themselves (as it would be a cousin) nor can they marry anyone with their mother's maiden name (also a cousin), nor can they marry anyone who's mother's maiden name is the same as their own mother's maiden name (again, a cousin) It seems way more confusing when laid out like that... Essentially I take a couple, say Ashess Boretti and Tonnalu Giampa. Essentially their child cannot marry any Giampa's, because he is one, any Boretti's, because they would be his first cousins (children of Ashess's brothers), or anyone who's mother was also a Boretti, as that mother would have been Ashess's sister, making that sim the cousin of the child in question. He also couldn't marry anyone who's mother was a Giampa, since that mother would be one of Tonnalu's sisters. So on the sheet, he'd have Giampa marked, because that'd be his last name, but I'd also have Boretti marked next to him, and would reference the list of girls for anyone that didn't have either of those two names next to her. I have absolutely no clue how I'm going to deal with pairings in the future, but I'm fairly certain I'll be making full use of being able to add some CAS sims in. While it make make my population explode, that might be a good thing considering I'm going the route of making separate kingdoms, and I'd prefer my kingdoms not have just a few sims in each.

And yeah, I haven't played ToT in AGES. I got distracted by doing an ISBI, then by trying Sims 3 out again. Mostly because one of my friends doesn't want her copies anymore, and is selling them to me ultra cheap. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
#2771 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 7:34 AM Last edited by Chicklet : Yesterday at 12:12 PM. Reason: Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuidyaforever
I like what you've come up with so far - are you planning on sharing more soon?

Thank you! Because you asked, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Questions...am I making it too wordy? Am I not leaving enough to be interpreted by individual players? Is anything confusing or unclear?

After play testing I'm going to make a few changes for the Neanderthals. Mainly careers and community lots.

At first glance the Neanderthals look easy - showers, recreational stuff, where's the challenge? Ice age is hard! They get cold easily and it's incredibly hard to grow crops. After the pond freezes over it might not thaw before the end of the ice age. Thus the minor changes...

Edit: My apologies, I didn't edit the challenge today. I shall do so Monday at the latest. In the meantime I have no problem answering questions about it here. Happy simming everyone!

Visit my Test of Time Challenge site: sims2testoftime.weebly.com.
Page 111 of 111