Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2011 at 8:22 PM Last edited by Gurra09 : 26th Sep 2023 at 5:36 AM. Reason: fixed the download links
Default Midnight Sun Challenge
You don't remember much of what happened but the cruise ship sank, your lifeboat broke, and you ended up here. What a lucky life, don't you think?

Welcome to the Midnight Sun Challenge, or MSC for short!

First of all, this challenge is meant to played in a special world, Isle of the Midnight Sun, which is an isolated island and that's what this challenge is meant to be; you are going to be isolated. There are two official maps for this challenge made by me, with information on how to download them below. Other players have made their own worlds for this challenge which you can download elsewhere (I don't have any links), but I can't guarantee such worlds will follow all the restrictions set out in the rules.

To play this challenge it is recommended that you have the World Adventures or University expansion, otherwise you will have a hard time.

There are two versions of the official challenge world: version 2 that only requires the base game, and version 3 made for Island Paradise EP that has a houseboat and scuba diving possibilities. You can have both versions installed in your game at the same time.

Download the world*:
v. 2 - Base Game (island version) http://simgurra-blog.tumblr.com/pos...idnight-sun-v-2
v. 3 - Island Paradise (houseboat version) http://simgurra-blog.tumblr.com/pos...idnight-sun-v-3

If you're wondering "what the hell happened to version 1?", the answer is that it was a horribly ugly world which I have since taken down. You might see some pictures of it being used in the early pages of the thread.

You begin by creating a new game in the Isle of Midnight Sun (or a player-made world of your choice, see above), and create a new sim who is young adult or adult. It's up to you what your sim is going to look like and all that, no restrictions. After your sim is done you move them to the isle's only lot, a tiny 10x10 lot, or the smallest houseboat, worth 13,500 simoleons.

This sim is now the beginning of a family whose destiny is to survive on this little island for 5 generations, until the first child of 5th generation turns YA. Your sim is allowed to do whatever they want to in order to earn money, including painting, writing, fishing etc. The only age span allowed is Normal, which with the new Generations patch is considered a life span between 80-100 days in this challenge.

Since there are no other sims in the neighbourhood your sim lives in total isolation. This challenge is created to let your sims live in total isolation, and therefore you are NOT allowed to speak to any mailman or paparazzis showing up on or nearby your lot - this applies to mermaids on diving lots aswell, they are forbidden to socialize with. The restriction also means that you have to travel abroad to either France, China or Egypt to find a partner for your future children since you are not allowed to adopt. Beware though, that a sim is only allowed to go for a vacation three times in their lifetime, and they can visit the same destination no more than two times. So your sim can travel to every destination once, or to one of the destinations twice and another once in order to use up their three vacations. Using NRaas Traveler mod to travel to a non-WA destination is totally ok, and the same rules apply here - 3 trips in total, maximum 2 per destination. If a sim has travelled abroad at least once they may not go to university.

University EP addition: Your sim may go to Sims University instead of travelling abroad to find a partner. University follows the same restrictions as a destination world, which means they may travel there a second time to finish their degree. They can't go for a third time, so if you want them to finish their degree they must do that in two university visits. Attending university totally rules out travelling abroad, which means you are using up all three vacations of that sim by taking them to university. Sims may only get one degree each, no multiple degrees. What's the use of a degree when living on this island, anyway?

Your sims may never during the course of the challenge travel to the future.

An important detail is that everyone born on the lot or married into family must live on the isle and is never allowed to leave it until death takes them elsewhere. The only exception to this is the limited number of vacations allowed. Also, during a sim's childhood you are never allowed to choose their traits, they must be randomized. Do NOT try to send your children to boarding school because there is no possibility for a taxi to pick them up.

Last but not least, no cheats are allowed except for when you need to reset a buggy sim or move something that's in the way with moveobjects. Of course it's up to you if you follow the rules or not for this challenge, but you are not allowed to use mods that changes game conditions for skills, moods etc. If you are unsure whether a mod should be allowed or not, go for whatever you feel is reasonable - after all you are playing your game, not I

Feel free to share your stories about how it's going in your MSC if you want to, because it's always fun reading about what's happening in other people's games, and if you have any questions - ask them! I might not always be here to respond but someone else could have the answer you're looking for.

Quote: Originally posted by Gurra09
Paparazzis/tourists/animals etc. are always a problem on worlds with a small landmass. In my game I use the Register mod by twallan to turn all these off, and I really recommend people playing this world to do it to: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Register

If you have Seasons: Due to the island being located on low land the snow doesn't look alright here, and therefore you might want to turn off the snow or the winter season altogether. This is only a recommendation, no need to do it. Snow works better on v. 3 since unlike v. 2 the lot itself isn't located on the low land and won't lead to odd looking snow. I can't comment on what snow is like in other player-made challenge worlds as I have not tested them.

Good luck on the Isle of Midnight Sun! :D

Perfect Genetics-Midnight Sun Challenge
This combination of my two Midnight Sun and Perfect Genetics challenges has grown popular in the Swedish sims community.
In that combination challenge you just follow the rules of both challenges, except for the MSC 5 generations rule, since PG is 10 generations. It's very funny and I do recommend it if you're looking for a really hard but fun challenge!

Creator of the Perfect Genetics and Midnight Sun Challenges.
Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th May 2011 at 2:47 AM
I started this, it's really fun!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 29th May 2011 at 3:54 AM
I don't have world adventures. Mind if I start with a couple, and the Nraas Woohoo mod?
Duck Defender
#4 Old 29th May 2011 at 5:46 AM
Wow - life on a 10x10 island lot. Very cool!
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th May 2011 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lenglel
I don't have world adventures. Mind if I start with a couple, and the Nraas Woohoo mod?

I never get pregnant from foreign men, the pregnancy always goes away when I get home so I just used "pollinate" and used the mailman/paparazzi.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 9:01 AM
I'm trying out this (: It takes a lot of effort, but it's extreemly fun ^^
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 4:10 PM
I love this challenge, it's the only one that's ever held my attention for more than ten minutes!
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 8:08 PM
Right, I've been playing this challenge for all of 10 minutes. My lot has randomly spawned 2 horses, a deer, a raccoon, and here on the very first night - a burglar! I'm not sure if my beating him up was successful, but I've apparently peed on him. Best.challenge.evar. <3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 9:59 PM
Lol, Raeyn. This challenge was truly isolated... untill Late Night's paparazzis hanging around and now all those wild animals in Pets.

Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Test Subject
#10 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 10:50 PM
No paps yet, and I scraped up enough to get the gnomes what scare off the wild animals... which is a relief; the horses just get all stinky and freaked out and you can't really interact with them. And now - off to China to deliver a book, and find some baby-making. <3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 10:57 PM
I wonder if there is some way to make the world not to spawn paparazzis, wild animals and such...

Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 11:02 PM
Well, the gnomes keep the animals at bay... too bad there's not one for paparazzi?

And on another note - thank you, Bao Louie, for being the easiest lay in all of Simland. xD
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 9:17 AM
I have added a recommendation about a funny combination with this challenge and another one. Read below or in the end of the first post:

Perfect Genetics-Midnight Sun Challenge
This combination of my two Midnight Sun and Perfect Genetics challenges has grown popular in the Swedish sims community.
In that combination challenge you just follow the rules of both challenges, except for the MSC 5 generations rule, since PG is 10 generations. It's very funny and I do recommend it if you're looking for a really hard but fun challenge!

Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 12:01 PM
I can't download the Midnight Sun Island, or even open the link. What should I do ??
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 8:31 PM
I've had to put my run-through of this on hold 'cause even with the gnomes, I'm going freaking crazy with all the stupid animals popping onto my lot; nuking objects has never become so relevant. *pouts* I'm going to try it again later, but for now, I'm taking a break with another challenge.
Test Subject
#16 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 1:18 AM
Default oh man
ok, so currently, i'm playing this challange. c: it's fantastic, and hard, ect, but.. i can't send my children to boarding school. i have 5 children, because she had 2 sets of twins and one single birth, and i'd like to send them to get an education.. uhm, how could i do that?

to be more specific, i'll enroll them in school, but nothing/no one ever shows up to take them to the school.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 11:38 AM Last edited by lauratje86 : 7th Feb 2012 at 4:48 PM.
I'm going to give this another go. I tried it a few weeks ago, but all the paparazzi and wild animals annoyed me..... I've downloaded mods that should stop them from spawning, so I'm hoping that they will work and I'll be able to give it a go! :-)

I'm semi combining it with the perfect genetics challenge, but not quite - my founder will have bright red hair and eyes, and I will pick the child of his that comes closest to having his traits as the heir. So if he has a child with both the hair and the eyes he or she will be the heir, but if not then I will pick one with either the hair or the eyes, if there is one! :-)

I'm looking forward to doing this, and I'll keep you all posted :-D

**EDIT** So far my founder, Jack Redd, has visited China, where he met Lu Zhi. They got on well, and after he'd returned home he invited her to move in with him and she accepted. They have since gotten married, and they have a toddler son, Armand, who has his Dad's red eyes and random ginger hair. Lu is pregnant again - just in time, as she will become an elder in about 6 days. Lu earns most of the money by painting, and Jack helps out by Solving The Unsolvable, though that doesn't make a huge amount of money. They live in a three-storey house (basement, ground floor and first floor), but the first floor is currently unfurnished. The bedroom and bathroom are in the basement, and the ground floor has an open plan kitchen/dining room/study. The first floor is going to become the children's bedroom/playroom, when they have enough money to furnish it, and they will have their own bathroom up there as well.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 7:30 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 12th Feb 2012 at 2:57 PM.
I'm still playing this. There was a bit of a glitch where they couldn't invite any foreign visitors, so I had to send Lu to China, which fixed it. When she got home she invited her younger sister Sima to move in with them - Sima brought about 25,000 simoleans with her from the sale of her house, so money is no problem at all. Jack will become an adult later today, and Lu will become an elder in a few days. Sima has just become an adult. So Sima will be around to look after the kids when their mother dies of old age. And whilst she's here she can help earn more money for the family. I may have her have a child with Jack after Lu dies as well, but I'm not sure about that. It depends on second son Brendan's genes - if he inherits his Dad's hair and eyes then there's no need for Jack to have any more children. I don't want the house to get too full, either, so I may just leave it at two children for Jack. The house now has 4 floors - the basement has Jack & Lu's bedroom and bathroom, plus space for a crib or two, the ground floor has the kitchen/dining/living area, which is open plan, the first floor is now Auntie Sima's room and en-suite, and the top floor is for Armand & Brendan, also with an en-suite. There's just enough space outside for a chess table, a telescope, a washing line and an apple tree.

**EDIT** Brendan just became a toddler. He has his Mum's hair (black) and random light blue eyes. Lu is now too old to have any more children, so she and Jack won't be having any more, but when she dies Jack may or may not have a child with Sima. We'll see! I would quite like to pass on the hair, but on the other hand I don't want the house to get too full...
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 8:33 AM
I've decided to play this for a second time, and this time I'm blogging it so I thought that I'd share:
1.1 - Welcome to the Island
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 5:51 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 11th Mar 2012 at 8:44 PM.
I'm also having another shot at this. I started with an extracted YA Mortimer Goth (who, when Bella decided to spend the rest of her life with Malcolm Landgraab instead of with Mortimer himself, decided that he hated people and wanted to move as far away from Sunset Valley as possible!), and he has now visited Egypt and moved in Egyptian local Tahiya Shalut. They both have the lifetime with of maxing Painting and Writing, which bodes well as far as making money is concerned!:-)

They're just friends at the moment, so I'm going to wait a little while before getting them together and having babies. Tahiya actually has a boyfriend in Egypt, but yeah, that's not going to last :-) Tahiya is an adult though, just, so I won't be waiting too long as I want them to have two children. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least one boy....

**EDIT** Mortimer and Tahiya are now married, and Tahiya is pregnant, but not showing yet. Mortimer has 7 Writing points and Tahiya has 8 Painting points, so I hope to max those shills soon and get each of them working on the other one! I think they will both complete their LTW's without too much trouble - and it's bringing them in a decent amount of money along the way too! :-)
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 5:29 AM Last edited by Avalikia : 20th Mar 2012 at 8:50 PM.
I'm already on my next chapter - I decided to just post them all as I go along instead of sticking to a schedule. Which means that updates will probably be really quick for a bit and then slow down once I have more Sims to worry about.
1.2 - Chinese Travelogue
And Danielle wanted me to clarify that she did not get knocked up during her trip to China. Not even a little bit.

Edit:
1.3 - Obvious Lies
And I promise I'll slow down soon.

Another Edit:
1.4 - Older and Taller
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 11:00 AM
nice might try this
but

i'm going to be spammed with animahls D:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 8:50 PM
You can use Twallan's register mod to turn paparazzis and wild animals off so that they won't bother you on the island:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Register
Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 9:05 PM
You can use Twallan's register mod to turn paparazzis and wild animals off so that they won't bother you on the island:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Register

Is there a way to do that in game in a world (like the Midnight Sun Isle) that doesn't have a City Hall?
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 4:34 AM Last edited by Smashed Cat : 25th Apr 2012 at 4:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by zafflower
I never get pregnant from foreign men, the pregnancy always goes away when I get home so I just used "pollinate" and used the mailman/paparazzi.

He meant for you to bring back the man or woman you plan on breeding with. But if you don't have WA, using the mailman or whoever and move them in could be just as effective. Don't see why not. Also (if you don't have WA), there will be too much inbreeding without the children eventually doing the same.

Avalikia your blog is super cute!
Page 1 of 14