Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 10734 times.
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 3:31 PM
Default Two of the same rabbitholes in one world
I'm not sure if this can be done. Would two rabbitholes, like say schools, in different parts of a world work?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I can't find the thread.

How about two fire stations? Would that work? In that I mean will the firemen Sims go to the right job location and will both stations work fully.
Advertisement
Edge Of Darkness
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 3:56 PM
As far as I can tell, two different rabbitholes of the same type (for example, the school from Bridgeport and the school from Sunset) will work perfectly well together, but two identical rabbitholes (for example, two Hogan's diners) will cause confusion. The exception to this is City Hall, I heard that you cannot have two of those (but I've not tried myself).

I have two different schools, two different spas and two different business lots in my world and they work just fine.

Not sure about zoned lots like firestations, but I would think it would be the same- as long as the lots have different names it should work. Has anyone tried this?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 4:39 PM
Tell you hat it is, I'm doing another large world and the distances to thing from one end of the world to the other is enormous. I have one end that has one type of town with rabbitholes that suit that theme, but I'm also doing a city area and wanted to have a school, hospital, etc that were more suited to that area. Two business lots are needed too and I see you got that to work. So you're saying the ones you tried did work and the Sims did go to the right place to go to work. That's what I needed. With the schools, do the children just go to the nearest one?

The info on rabbitholes is vague around the net and maybe it's time we worked this one out. I'll have a go at putting in two firestations, I have a family of sims who are firemen and also I could make another family and pout them into the other part of the world and do a test export, it will take me a few days but it's time we all knew about this, lol.

I don't need two diners, I use my own mod to have working cafe's and only use the diner and bistro really for Sims to get jobs. I usually do two part lots with something like the diner then I build an extension to it and the Sims actually eat there with the food till, so not worried about that.

The ones I want to use two of are

city hall (I now know that won't work)
police station
firestation
hospital
school
business building
Spa (not bothered too much as I can make a salon)

I'll see what I can find out, if you hear a loud bang it's just my game crashing
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 4:40 PM
I never tried put the same rabbit holes into the world myself so far, but I was playing Custom World once, it was Emerald City or New York I don't remember now exactly but there was a few fire stations and police stations in it.
Instructor
#5 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 7:58 PM
I have been playing around with this for several months. In the latest incarnation of my world, I have three subcommunities: downtown, suburbs, and rural. Each has their own school, their own city hall, their own police department, their own fire department, etc., etc. I sort of like the multiple schools, because each sim may have a different alma mater to talk about (other than the boarding schools). Also, I have noticed that sims may not go to the nearest rabbithole for work etc. For example, my sim family had school next door to their downtown apartment, yet the kids went to a school across town.

In some ways, this can be rather cool. For example, my firefighter sim, went to work at a firestation all the way across the map. But isn't this true to real life. We don't always find jobs near our homes, and many people spend hours everyday commuting. Perhaps the solution is to have the sims move closer to their workplace? Also fires can break out anywhere on the map. Your firefighter sim could find himself travelling all over the map to put out a fire. That is, even with multiple firestations, you can find yourself going anywhere and everywhere.

After several weeks of gameplay, I have encountered lag. (Lag always seems to take a while to develop.) However, that could be caused by so many things. For example, I have way too many lots (over 200), some of the homes in the world use things like the Move Objects cheat, I really have not optimized the routing. Etc., etc.
.
One solution, if it is a problem, is just to change the zoning of your rabbithole lots to No Visitors Allowed, or even to use deco buildings. That way, you can maintain the illusion of having separate subcommunities, when, in fact, your really only have one functioning city hall, school, etc. When sims move to a new communiy, you just change the zoning
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 9:06 PM
I think you probably just have to rename one of the identical rabbitholes.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 10:39 PM
High Plains Gamer, thanks for that. I'll be giving it a go and see if I get any lag. I'll come back to this post and let people know what I find, maybe we can work this out. I had terrible problems with freezing in this current world and it was because I had too many lots too close together. Same thing happened in my last world. I'm finding I get less lag and freezing if I have lots at least three squares away from each other (the big squares). I don't mind that they might commute to work.

I think this will be my last big world for a while, they take months to make and I get bored with them once they're at the almost finished stage. I'm going to make a few smaller ones after this one.

Inge, it's not identical rabbitholes I'm using though, it's just the same type, i.e. two schools, they are already named differently. I just wanted to know if they'd both function.
Edge Of Darkness
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 3:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
I think you probably just have to rename one of the identical rabbitholes.

Is there a way to do that other than using the debug menus or owning the lot?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Instructor
#9 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 5:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereyes
So you're saying the ones you tried did work and the Sims did go to the right place to go to work. That's what I needed. With the schools, do the children just go to the nearest one?


I guess it depends on what you mean by the right place. If they are a firefighter, they go to A fire station. If they are a teacher, they go to A school. It might not be the nearest school. It might be all the way across town. But that strikes me like real life. One does not always choose where one works. Often the job chooses you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereyes
I don't need two diners, I use my own mod to have working cafe's and only use the diner and bistro really for Sims to get jobs.


For me, Hogans is like McDonalds. It is everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereyes
The ones I want to use two of are

city hall (I now know that won't work)
police station
firestation
hospital
school
business building
Spa (not bothered too much as I can make a salon)


I have three of most of these. Ony one business building and spa, however. But I have four schools and four fire stations.

By the way, I don't attribute my lag problem to this. It starts after several sims weeks. I would expect that if multiple rabbit holes were the cause, I would be seeing it right away.

By the way, I would also note that Coasterboi's worlds -- Red County and Los Aniegos have multiple rabbit holes.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 7:58 PM
simsample, I think Inge means with s3pe, that's what I would do if I had to rename a lot. I won't do it though as it's more cc to include and I already have some custom rabbitholes I recoloured. Don't need to rename them in any case as I'd use different styles of the same type lot.

High Plains Gamer. I find that a lot of my games end up slowing down after a few weeks too. I use the master controller so I don't think it's that. I do find when I decorate a Sims house to beautifully decorated it starts to slow up on me. Maybe it's my PC but I do think a lot of people have that problem.

Hogans, well I use that but I build another building on the same lot and use it as a cafe they can actually use with my registers mod they can buy all the food from WA, so it works for me. Sims can get a job in the diner and my Sims can eat as a family in the cafe. I did the same with the Bistro and have outdoor seating, etc, it's nice to play it.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 8:20 PM
When I tried this after Ambitions came out, I noticed that the other fire station or beauty parlor won't work - all people with that occupation will always go to only one of the lots. Did that maybe change since then?

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
Instructor
#12 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 4:28 PM
I'm afraid I can't make much of a contribution, but I'm having the same issues. With normal, non-interactive rabbitholes you have the option of transferring a Sim's job to that location (business career, etc.), but fire stations are a complete mess. I built several fire stations because my firefighters would always travel all across town and get a bad job performance, but the game doesn't seem able to recognize that fact. My firefighters would always return to a completely different station after each job, too. It's a mess, really. *sighs*
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 2:58 PM
I haven't actually tried this myself (recently, anyway), but I think if you have, say, two spas or two diners (at least, Hogan's Deep Fried and Brunton's Boxcar), Sims will work at whichever one you tell them to, and will be given the option to go to the other one and "Transfer Job Here."

/makes mental note to experiment with this.

---------------------------------------------------
98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. Put this in your signature if you like donuts.
---------------------------------------------------
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 12:01 AM
Did some more testing. I placed two police stations in a world and two spas. I can verify what Rockerduck said -- you'll have the option to transfer between one building and the other.

I put a Sim in Investigator career and had the option of going to either police station to receive cases. Though based on what Rockerduck says, does this mean I can't have more than one Salon in my neighborhood?

---------------------------------------------------
98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. Put this in your signature if you like donuts.
---------------------------------------------------
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 11:20 AM
I have this in my world! The working Sims will go to where you signed them up to work. Strangely, should they ever transfer to a different location, the co-workers seem to follow them. Or at least, once they did. I'd like to see what happens if 2 Sims in the same household have the same job, but at different locations. Do they have different co-workers? I have seen child Sims go to a different school than their siblings on one day, and the same school on a different day. But that was before Generations. I'll have to see what it does now.

The major confusion is when a bookstore is having a sale. Because they all have the same name, I need to mouse-hover over each to see which is the one with a sale. Until I do real estate, and change the name of one, or switch out one like Divisadero Books for Always Studious or something, this can be very confusing. But it will only do the sale at a single location. So there's your answer!

And the world I did it with:
http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=3077227
Edge Of Darkness
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:03 PM
Thanks for the information, Sciffy Circo and StPatrick!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 1:51 PM
Has anyone tried renaming them in s3pe? So sorry I've just came back to this but I'm playing Sims 2 and I get lost in that.
Test Subject
#18 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereyes
I'm not sure if this can be done. Would two rabbit holes, like say schools, in different parts of a world work?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I can't find the thread.

How about two fire stations? Would that work? In that I mean will the firemen Sims go to the right job location and will both stations work fully.


I have a similar question. I'm creating a world in which I'd like to have Bridgeport's City Hall (Includes military) and a separate military base. I've tried testing this experiment in game (pre-made Bridgeport world) to see if the two would function. I got strange results. The sim that I sent to work in the military simply would no go to work. I changed her job to medical and re-tried military with the same result. I restarted my game (and computer) and still had the same result. After removing the extra military base I still couldn't get the sim to go to work on the military track. Is my game borked? Or is this a common occurrence? I've run games with several schools and other rabbit holes before without problems but this phenomenon has me stumped.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I rather prefer the appearance of Bridgeport's city Hall over the others and I suppose I could edit the skin of one the others to suit me but I'd rather not if at all possible.
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 6:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absynaesthesia
I have a similar question. I'm creating a world in which I'd like to have Bridgeport's City Hall (Includes military) and a separate military base. I've tried testing this experiment in game (pre-made Bridgeport world) to see if the two would function. I got strange results. The sim that I sent to work in the military simply would no go to work. I changed her job to medical and re-tried military with the same result. I restarted my game (and computer) and still had the same result. After removing the extra military base I still couldn't get the sim to go to work on the military track. Is my game borked? Or is this a common occurrence? I've run games with several schools and other rabbit holes before without problems but this phenomenon has me stumped.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I rather prefer the appearance of Bridgeport's city Hall over the others and I suppose I could edit the skin of one the others to suit me but I'd rather not if at all possible.


I haven't done extensive testing, but I do have the Bridgeport City Hall Combo Rabbithole and the Sims in Arms Military Base (from Ambitions/Twinbrook) both in my custom world that I made a long while back. I haven't played this world in over a year and a half, so it's a bit outdated, but I re-installed it and fired it up just for the heck of it and to test this. I gave one of my sims a job as a latrine cleaner at the Military Base, and he went to work automatically when the carpool came without any issues his first day. Ironically, that same day while at work, he got a career opportunity that required him to deliver a package to City Hall, which he also accomplished without any fuss. So there doesn't seem to be an issue with/between the two buildings on my end, at least, not yet.

It could just be a weird glitch with your game, or a mod conflict, perhaps? A routing issue with those specific buildings, maybe? Have you tried any of the other careers at the Bridgeport City Hall, like Politics or Law Enforcement? Do they work? Have you tried placing the problem rabbitholes on different lots? Which Military Base were you using? Are you fully patched? I know the combo rabbitholes used to give a lot of trouble when Bridgeport first came out, but I think most (or at least SOME) of those issues were fixed in a patch a while back. Have you tried with a different sim, a fresh one with no real "history"?

I know what you mean about the Bridgeport City Hall; it's one of my favorites too, for looks. If you haven't already done so, I'd try switching some buildings around (different rabbitholes but same type, like Sims in Arms Base instead of Fort Gnome Base or vice versa, and maybe try a non-combo City Hall rabbithole, like Riverview's or Sunset Valley's instead of Bridgeport's), try testing with a fresh new sim from the bin, check for mod incompatability, clear caches, etc. Or maybe it's a Bridgeport thing; it's flagged as a city instead of as a suburb, like most other worlds, so maybe it's processing things differently. Maybe try plopping those same rabbitholes down in a different world and see if they behave there?

If all else fails, there is a fantastic modder at Inge's site, Simlogical, who's making rabbitholes CAST-able. Aussomedays is doing an incredible job with these rabbitholes, and though they are a work in progress still, Aussome has managed to correct all the glitches that have popped up so far, even fixing some of EA's goofs along the way. The rabbitholes that are finished can each be downloaded separately. Just make sure you read the instructions and have the latest Assembly Script. They're not entirely foolproof; the ones I've tried in my game have required a lot of fiddling with to get the color right, and the many parts of the building can be confusing, but I think these rabbitholes are a great addition to my game: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=3039.0

Regardless, I hope this helped in some way, and that you get it all figured out soon!
Test Subject
#20 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 5:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolotte89
I haven't done extensive testing, but I do have the Bridgeport City Hall Combo Rabbithole and the Sims in Arms Military Base (from Ambitions/Twinbrook) both in my custom world that I made a long while back. I haven't played this world in over a year and a half, so it's a bit outdated, but I re-installed it and fired it up just for the heck of it and to test this. I gave one of my sims a job as a latrine cleaner at the Military Base, and he went to work automatically when the carpool came without any issues his first day. Ironically, that same day while at work, he got a career opportunity that required him to deliver a package to City Hall, which he also accomplished without any fuss. So there doesn't seem to be an issue with/between the two buildings on my end, at least, not yet.

It could just be a weird glitch with your game, or a mod conflict, perhaps? A routing issue with those specific buildings, maybe? Have you tried any of the other careers at the Bridgeport City Hall, like Politics or Law Enforcement? Do they work? Have you tried placing the problem rabbitholes on different lots? Which Military Base were you using? Are you fully patched? I know the combo rabbitholes used to give a lot of trouble when Bridgeport first came out, but I think most (or at least SOME) of those issues were fixed in a patch a while back. Have you tried with a different sim, a fresh one with no real "history"?

I know what you mean about the Bridgeport City Hall; it's one of my favorites too, for looks. If you haven't already done so, I'd try switching some buildings around (different rabbitholes but same type, like Sims in Arms Base instead of Fort Gnome Base or vice versa, and maybe try a non-combo City Hall rabbithole, like Riverview's or Sunset Valley's instead of Bridgeport's), try testing with a fresh new sim from the bin, check for mod incompatability, clear caches, etc. Or maybe it's a Bridgeport thing; it's flagged as a city instead of as a suburb, like most other worlds, so maybe it's processing things differently. Maybe try plopping those same rabbitholes down in a different world and see if they behave there?

If all else fails, there is a fantastic modder at Inge's site, Simlogical, who's making rabbitholes CAST-able. Aussomedays is doing an incredible job with these rabbitholes, and though they are a work in progress still, Aussome has managed to correct all the glitches that have popped up so far, even fixing some of EA's goofs along the way. The rabbitholes that are finished can each be downloaded separately. Just make sure you read the instructions and have the latest Assembly Script. They're not entirely foolproof; the ones I've tried in my game have required a lot of fiddling with to get the color right, and the many parts of the building can be confusing, but I think these rabbitholes are a great addition to my game: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=3039.0

Regardless, I hope this helped in some way, and that you get it all figured out soon!

It does help, Thanks.
I've done pretty much everything you mentioned aside from attempting a fresh Sim. It's still amazing to me how much time gets lost when I'm in game. So when I get back in the game, that will be my first effort. I did download some of the CASTable community buildings thinking that this would solve my issues. In a way it does and-but-until I figure out with the fresh sim, what in the name of simzar is the problem, I've promised (myself I think) not to mess with the buildings. I thank you so much for writing back. Sometimes when I don't hear anything from anyone for a while, the big question mark goes up over my head. The one that states I'm a goofy simmer and have asked a question that should be obvious to everyone.. ... scatterbrained-absent minded inventor. That's me. I'm going over the list of reccomendations you made to make sure I've double checked everything and hopefully, by week's end I'll at least have a clearer understanding of what the problem is and what to name it.
Thank you again! :D
Back to top