Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Generations: Fixes For "Natural"*Family Portrait & Dream of the Windrunner Paintings

by ThomasRiordan Posted 13th Jul 2011 at 6:28 PM - Updated 13th Jul 2011 at 7:49 PM by ThomasRiordan

39 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 17 Feedback Posts, 21 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 6:40 PM
No wonder why I was only seeing one family. Oh EA. Thank you for fixing this.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#3 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 6:45 PM
Great job on finding these!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#4 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 6:47 PM
I'm curious what the others look like!
Great find!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 6:58 PM
Aw, what cute pics! Wonder why they were hidden, though. O.o The family ones are so nice. The gloomy girl looks so out of place and the bunnies are just aaw.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 7:36 PM
I did the fantasy one too!! The other pictures are too nice to stay hidden.
As for the family ones, I didn't even check that one. Thanks for finding it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 7:53 PM
@traelia you should be able to see them now. I fixed the preview image since the gifs weren't working.

@dawn1 it does make you wonder what other paintings have hidden textures in them. EA seems to be all over the place when it comes to paintings. Some are overlays, some are stencils and some are even hidden in the mesh tab when using TSRW.
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 8:34 PM
Thanks, I like the normal 'Natural' Family one, but I think the first hidden one is better, more like the families I make, thought I do make the occasional all-goth family with an average child.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ThomasRiordan
@traelia you should be able to see them now. I fixed the preview image since the gifs weren't working.

@dawn1 it does make you wonder what other paintings have hidden textures in them. EA seems to be all over the place when it comes to paintings. Some are overlays, some are stencils and some are even hidden in the mesh tab when using TSRW.

Yeah it's crazy!!
Somebody found the alternative stencils on the asian screens too. If only EA didn't mess these up, we might actually like what they do.
Instructor
#10 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 11:42 PM
@dawn1 Yea, there's actually a thread a MATY with all the hidden stencils (including these ones) in the game.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#11 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 1:26 AM
That is so bizarre....they are just so odd, those EA folks.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 5:16 AM
LOL EA Sucks. If I place a painting with the hidden textures, can I still see it without this MOD? I wanna ask this because I like to share houses.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PhenomIIFX
LOL EA Sucks. If I place a painting with the hidden textures, can I still see it without this MOD? I wanna ask this because I like to share houses.

That's a good question. I'd imagine the answer is no due to it modifying the original object. It'd probably default back to the original painting with whatever frame your painting has or it will display a frame with nothing in it. I'll test this out later and get back to you but I'd assume the answer will be no since the original objd doesn't call for the hidden textures.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 3:43 PM
That's a good question. I'd imagine the answer is no due to it modifying the original object. It'd probably default back to the original painting with whatever frame your painting has or it will display a frame with nothing in it. I'll test this out later and get back to you but I'd assume the answer will be no since the original objd doesn't call for the hidden textures.

I just did a play test. Hidden textures are SILL visible. Can not buy them via BuyMode anymore but they can be cloned.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 4:35 PM
cuteeeeeeee
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 6:04 PM Last edited by ThomasRiordan : 14th Jul 2011 at 6:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PhenomIIFX
I just did a play test. Hidden textures are SILL visible. Can not buy them via BuyMode anymore but they can be cloned.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the cache files but I cleared my cache and got the same results as you. The paintings are on the wall.

The only way to really confirm these will stay with shared houses would be to package one up and have someone who doesn't have this installed try it and see if the paintings stay with the new textures or are replaced. It's looking really good for them staying at the moment though.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#17 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 2:25 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. In spite of EA's sloppiness (?) they should still get some credit for at least making this game so moddable.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 6:39 AM
I have purple hair, I think you should apologize to those of us who love color. And frankly that family all wearing the exact same thing scare me. Who does that?
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator THANKS POST
#19 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 2:19 PM
Oh wow! I had no idea about these paintings. Thanks so much!!
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Saebra
I have purple hair, I think you should apologize to those of us who love color. And frankly that family all wearing the exact same thing scare me. Who does that?

Please don't be upset.

I really don't think this has anything to do with color. Besides that, he's entitled to his opinion. This isn't exactly a "hate" crime.

He could just have easily have said, "Hate the picture of the Goth family," or, "Hate the picture that has no daughter."

I'm not bashing anyone, and neither was ThomasRiordan. Basically, I'm sure all he meant was that there are not enough options for these pictures.

Not to mention you just said something similar by complaining about the picture where the family "scares" you. Maybe there are lots of families out there just like that, and now you've offended them. Two wrongs don't make a right, and tolerance is for everyone, not just a select few.

Let's keep the peace!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 2:35 PM
I had no idea about these paintings. Thank you!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
Please don't be upset.

I really don't think this has anything to do with color. Besides that, he's entitled to his opinion. This isn't exactly a "hate" crime.

He could just have easily have said, "Hate the picture of the Goth family," or, "Hate the picture that has no daughter."

I'm not bashing anyone, and neither was ThomasRiordan. Basically, I'm sure all he meant was that there are not enough options for these pictures.

Not to mention you just said something similar by complaining about the picture where the family "scares" you. Maybe there are lots of families out there just like that, and now you've offended them. Two wrongs don't make a right, and tolerance is for everyone, not just a select few.

Let's keep the peace!

Of all the people I could possibly piss off in the course of my day it had to be the purple haired people. I've committed hairism, it's like racism but against hair color. If I would have said the Goth family that would have angered someone too. If I hated the picture of the unicorn would unicorns united against me? I swear no one is allowed to have an opinion any more because you might *gasp* upset someone.

Quote: Originally posted by Saebra

That's the point of the whole painting. Hence the reason EA put Natural in quotes. All the paintings are supposed to be slightly off what the ideal impression of what a family portrait should look like. A family's ideal impression is dressed alike, everyone wearing the same outfit, not having your child look like a freak (and that's not directed at any particular kind of freak nor are purple haired people included in that category), have a black eye, bad haircut, making goofy faces, etc.

Take a look at some family portraits online sometimes. You'll see they'll have some kind of theme to them. Either the family is dressed alike or there's a color theme between the clothing. Some of them are really subtle but that's what photographers think the ideal family portrait should be like.

If you look closely the second picture they're not all dressed alike either. The daughter is dressed in black while the others are in orange negating the dressed alike ideal. The third looks like they got confused as to what animal they were supposed to be dressed like since the son is dressed as some sort of bird it looks like, the mother some sort of pig maybe? While the rest of the family is dressed as bunnies.

If anything you should be upset with EA because that's what they were implying with that painting which as usual they got it wrong because comparing the paintings that one actually is the closest to looking like a cohesive family portrait due to the family and theme looking alike.
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 12:17 AM

Of all the people I could possibly piss off in the course of my day it had to be the purple haired people. I've committed hairism, it's like racism but against hair color. If I would have said the Goth family that would have angered someone too. If I hated the picture of the unicorn would unicorns united against me? I swear no one is allowed to have an opinion any more because you might *gasp* upset someone.

That's the point of the whole painting. Hence the reason EA put Natural in quotes. All the paintings are supposed to be slightly off what the ideal impression of what a family portrait should look like. A family's ideal impression is dressed alike, everyone wearing the same outfit, not having your child look like a freak (and that's not directed at any particular kind of freak nor are purple haired people included in that category), have a black eye, bad haircut, making goofy faces, etc.

Take a look at some family portraits online sometimes. You'll see they'll have some kind of theme to them. Either the family is dressed alike or there's a color theme between the clothing. Some of them are really subtle but that's what photographers think the ideal family portrait should be like.

If you look closely the second picture they're not all dressed alike either. The daughter is dressed in black while the others are in orange negating the dressed alike ideal. The third looks like they got confused as to what animal they were supposed to be dressed like since the son is dressed as some sort of bird it looks like, the mother some sort of pig maybe? While the rest of the family is dressed as bunnies.

If anything you should be upset with EA because that's what they were implying with that painting which as usual they got it wrong because comparing the paintings that one actually is the closest to looking like a cohesive family portrait due to the family and theme looking alike.

Well said.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 6:03 AM
My cousins always take pictures of their whole family dressed up in costumes. It's weird. (If your family does this and you're offended about that statement: good!) So I was roflmao for many many moons after seeing that third family portrait. :D

Wonder if it's a bug that we can't use them without a mod?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmin_mike
Wonder if it's a bug that we can't use them without a mod?

Doubtful considering there's stuff dating back as far as the base game that has alternate textures that were never fixed. It's most likely a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing at EA.

@PhenomIIFX unfortunately I just had someone confirm that the new textures will not appear if you package them in a house. They default to the purple hair painting. An alternative if you want to package them with a house would be to make a clone of the painting and assign the textures in TSR Workshop. It's really just a matter of going thru the stencils and clicking true/false. I did it that way at first but didn't want two copies of the same painting in my game. There's enough clutter in there now that I swear the game randomly hides things from me.
Page 1 of 2