Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 205 (Who?), Viewed: 63429 times.
Page 3 of 9
Field Researcher
#51 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 1:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SceneKidz
but not all drugs have as good of a helping effect as marijuana though.... alot of drugs (crack,coke, heroin, speed, lsd, shrooms) are very dangerous in small amounts... so if it was legal than people could / would get a hold of large amounts and kill themselves.... plus crack and meth labs do alot of harm to the enviroment

Yeah, but people still buy and make them. I know that marijuana has a lot of useful medical properties, I currently self-medicate because I have found that it helps with my mental illnesses a lot. People get into the more harmful drugs in the first place because they are illegal, it's some kind of "forbidden fruit" effect. If they were decriminalized, it wouldn't be seen as "cool" to get into those drugs anymore and hopefully more people would wise up. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't OD on acid.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#52 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 2:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Paradox
People get into the more harmful drugs in the first place because they are illegal, it's some kind of "forbidden fruit" effect. If they were decriminalized, it wouldn't be seen as "cool" to get into those drugs anymore and hopefully more people would wise up.

yeah that is how it was when alcohol was banned and then unbanned..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Paradox
I'm pretty sure you can't OD on acid.

I mean you can overdose on anything (even water if taken in high amounts)
but i would think you would have to take probably tens of thousands of times as much as a normal dose to actually make you OD on it.... but most likely you would just take enough to have a bad trip
Scholar
#54 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 3:51 PM Last edited by Nekowolf : 24th Jul 2011 at 4:03 PM.
"yeah that is how it was when alcohol was banned and then unbanned"

I have to disagree here. Alcohol has been an integral part of human society since its discovery. It's universal. You must remember during the times of the Prohibition, things that are now considered as illegal substances were widely consumed, as well. You could find heroin, cocaine, etc. and there were no laws against them; hell, in fact, do you know the story of Coca-Cola? Do you know why it's named that? Because, one of the original main ingredients was cocaine. And heroin, well, it was sold as a medical drug by Bayer. And let's not get into some of the other "remedies" of the time.

Alcohol has always been part of the culture of every civilization to stand in this world. Things like cocaine and heroin were thought to be medical (which isn't entirely untrue). But alcohol, that was something special. It was something everyone could afford, or even make yourself if you wanted (though that was still illegal? I'm not too sure). It was something so widespread, so ingrained in our culture and lifestyle, from thousands of years of use, across every corner of the globe. It may also help to understand the politics behind the Prohibition. If anyone more associated with history would please correct me, I'd appreciate it, but the passing of Prohibition came as a bit of a surprise, I think. You see, it has major support behind women's groups. But, it also had support from the Klan, and others from all over the demographical spectrum. Congress even went as far as to overturn a presidential veto. However, once it was enacted, criminal organizations flourished as they got into bootlegging, and Prohibition eventually became utterly despised. Don't know what you have until it's gone, I suppose you could say.

Now, yes, the same effect has happened in modern times from the "war on drugs." But, their knowledge of what drugs do like cocaine and heroin were not as extensive as today. Today, we know, that these hard drugs will fuck you up bad. I may hate the "war on drugs" but, I do think hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine should be illegal. That's because, with drugs like these, there is no safe dosage, there is no safety from addiction. They are very dangerous to consume in any amount. Pot isn't on the same level; do I think in the end, it's bad for you? Yeah. But it's not like these other ones here. You can argue they're "forbidden fruit," and that may be true, but it seems woefully simplistic. There must be, like everything else, a myraid of other factors that could, should, be addressed first before declaring them legal. Frankly, I think the lesson here is; strict illegalization and enforcement does not work. However, altering the circumstances around the desire of consumption may be much more effective.

EDIT:

"I mean you can overdose on anything (even water if taken in high amounts)"

I have to say this. That seems like an argument of semantics. It's very hard to "overdose" on water, like pot. You basically have to consume so much water that your kidneys are unable to process it. That is so utterly stupid to drink that much; in that one case in California, it was over six liters in three hours. Who would honestly ever drink that much unless they were sick, or in a desert? Hard drugs are easy to overdose on, however. It's harder to die from alcohol poisoning than it is overdosing on hard (or even medical) drugs.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Scholar
#55 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 4:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_paradox
Also, I'm pretty sure you can't OD on acid.

If it's pure liquid LSD your right you can't. Most of the "bad" trips people can experience come from something that's been added to it or from someone making a bad batch of it.

Most LSD around today is in blotter form which is mixed with speed to add longevity and cut with strychnine (rat poison) to add potency. So I suppose it would be possible to OD on blotter acid but I can't imagine the amount you would have to take in order to do so.

When you read about some of the parties back in the 60's/70's where they would spike a bowl of punch with acid, well that would have been the straight liquid they used.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#56 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:02 PM
Hey guys lets not travel off of the main subject: Marijuana: Should it be legal or not??
Test Subject
#57 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 11:11 PM
Default I don't know... :(
***Disclaimer*** I am very strongly against drugs... Thanks to my family keeping me sheltered my whole life. Blah.

I feel like if MJ ever becomes legal, more people will try it... and ultimately more people will become addicted.

Lets just add more to the list then of legalized addictive drugs, cigs, alcahol, MJ...? Why not legalize them all! I'm sure people will get that mentality, and want the next drug down the line legalized as well after that... && thats a really scary thought for me.

As much as I want to say yes on this subject because I believe people have a right to their own choices... I'm going to say no No, I don't think it should be legalized.

I have never seen, or done MJ (or any kind of weird drug)... & want to keep my innocence of not knowing what any of that stuff is about... I also want the same for my future kids some day.

I don't want to walk into a Walmart and see that they sell paraphernalia? (sp) the thought is so saddening, and I would just break down.

***Like my mom told me before, "That's the stuff that people who do not like their life use".

ME: 20yo girl with a brain. never seen, never tried, and never will.
Theorist
DELETED POST
21st Aug 2011 at 12:20 AM
This message has been deleted by Shoosh Malooka.
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
21st Aug 2011 at 1:31 AM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Banned
DELETED POST
21st Aug 2011 at 5:24 AM
This message has been deleted by Extensa5420.
Forum Resident
#58 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 5:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
I feel like if MJ ever becomes legal, more people will try it... and ultimately more people will become addicted.
Maybe you have a point about more people trying pot if it were legalized.

As for addiction, however ...

EDIT: Is it general policy that threads with banned OPs are locked, or am I just imagining things?

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Banned
DELETED POST
21st Aug 2011 at 5:34 AM
This message has been deleted by Extensa5420.
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
21st Aug 2011 at 11:55 AM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Test Subject
#59 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 2:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Leaf
Maybe you have a point about more people trying pot if it were legalized.

As for addiction, however ...

EDIT: Is it general policy that threads with banned OPs are locked, or am I just imagining things?

Yes. I already understand this... -.- And I still hold my case.
Test Subject
#60 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 2:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
I detest everything all psychoactive substances because they have too much influence on our behavior and body. That's why I don't drink alcohol at all and have never and will never try any drugs no matter how dangerous or 'safe' they are.

Your awesome. :]

Its crazy the amount of respect I give to some one for saying something like that.
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
22nd Aug 2011 at 1:52 AM
This message has been deleted by acid_paradox. Reason: needless comment, carry on. :l
Test Subject
#61 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:32 PM
Default Ummm... Nice LOL
&& I pity the crap outta you and your family.
Have a decent life! :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: retired moderator
#62 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:37 PM
fantasysims - Being rude and insulting toward other posters is completely unacceptable. You are welcome to your opinion but the way you have expressed it is not okay. Do not post on this thread again.
Alchemist
#63 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 1:11 AM
In the US, we experimented once with outlawing alcohol. The Mob got wealthy. Now we're doing the same thing with illegal drugs--enriching those who distribute them. Why? Are we that incapable of learning from our past experiences? (I think a really good attorney could overturn the drug laws--if it required a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol, then surely that sets a president for how to ban any other substance.)
I'm inclined to say legalize it all, tax the heck out of it like with cigarettes, and use the taxes for treatment programs. Maybe require anyone purchasing the more dangerous drugs to show proof of medical insurance that will cover incapacitation from the drug. If you want to use meth, have insurance that will pay for your care if/when you become disabled from it. That seems reasonable.
I wouldn't use marijuana any more than I'd use tobacco. I don't think most people would--but if they did, I don't see any way it would harm me or mine. I do agree with whoever it was who said we need a better system to protect apartment dwellers from their neighbors--but that doesn't only apply to second hand smoke, and some states have better tenant laws than others. My state's need improvement. Maybe when my kids are bigger I'll become an activist in that area.
As far as psychoactive substances go, you can't avoid them all. Ordinary foods do have an effect on you. Do some research on table sugar--sucrose, and corn sugar--fructose, and the effects those can have on the human brain. Coffee, tea, chocolate, all have effects. Some people need to avoid them entirely, some do not.
Test Subject
#64 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 6:02 AM
Those who say alcohol is different because of the history, marijuana has been a part of culture since 2700 B.C. While this may not have been the 9000 we all point at for beer, it still is longer than you, I and the politician- who couldn't figure out four straight minutes of pure smoke might kill brain cells all on its own- have lived. In addition, we have receptors specifically for cannabinoids, can't say that for alcohol. After all, your body wants to kill alcohol, not a friendly reception.
For those who say it's dangerous and a gateway drug, it's only dangerous and a gateway because of those selling it. I have never had a clerk say, 'you sure you just want those vitamins? I got some nice Ibuprofen over here.' Really, not once. Also, I think you shouldn't have to have a license to get it, but you should to grow and sell. It shouldn't just be for those who need it. Recreational is a synonym of relaxation; relaxation lowers stress thus a slew of diseases. So isn't it preventative medication? o.O
Scholar
#65 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 6:30 AM
Yes, it should be. Andit will be....one day.
Scholar
#66 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 3:24 PM
It seems like you can't really defend your position on marijuana without sounding like you've got an agenda- whatever.

I believe adults are smart enough to make their own decisions, and that marijuana in and of itself (granted someone doesn't have an allergy) isn't harmful. Yeah, there are people who just sit around the house all day every day and smoke, but that's just escaping responsibility. It seems like a lot of people that are really opposed to the legalization or marijuana are either misinformed or full of goo.

(Yea, I know that some people oppose for good reasons. That smoke of any kind is carcinogenic, for example. Or that regulating it would be a pain in the dick... I guess.)

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Theorist
#67 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 8:40 PM
Eh, I don't think regulation would be that hard. Everyone can pretty much grow their own onions, but they mostly don't. As long as pot growers didn't price themselves into industriousness over laziness, I'm thinking assertive marketing and such would win over "Dude, I totally grew this next to my toilet!"

As for things like meth, if I were going to legalize it I'd keep really, really harsh penalties for making it yourself, and just phase the meth shiners into prison in favor of corporate and micro meth. The problem with drugs, beyond the obvious, is that only criminals sell it. But business majors generally outshine other sorts of criminals in the long run. Any dick can sell some weed, it takes skill to take it further than that.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 9:07 PM
I am strongly against marijuana, have never used it, but have known about twenty people (probably more) who have. I believe it is a health hazard, especially to teenagers and children. Parents become addicted to other drugs as well as marijuana, and I believe they eventually spread their addictions to their children which cause health risks.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 10:26 PM
I'm for the legalisation of marijuana. Having lived in places where it's widely used as a treatment for many ailments, I don't see why it's illegal in the first place except for those who do abuse it. If it were regulated and if the people were educated, it would be safer to use and more people would know the benefits of it. My boyfriend's family uses it, I've tried it once for a headache a few years ago, it's not all that bad of an experience. Making it illegal just counteracts the point.

"It's a royal pain in the ass, I know, but it turns out most 11-year-old girls don't know jack shit about managing hangovers." - MinghamSmith
Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#70 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiryu007Joker
Parents become addicted to other drugs as well as marijuana, and I believe they eventually spread their addictions to their children which cause health risks.

Just to throw an anecdote out there: my parents have been heavy smokers for over 20 years, and I've never so much as taken a drag of a cigarette. More generally, children often strike out away from their parents' behaviors. Children are actually more influenced by their peers than their parents. Further, marijuana is not a gateway drug. Those who would have done harder drugs, would do so without the influence of marijuana, and those who would not, are not going to change their opinions on harder stuff just because they tried marijuana. There are plenty of people who use marijuana and never touch the harder stuff.
Scholar
#71 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 12:53 AM
You would think that alcohol would actually be more of a "gateway drug" as it's more accessible. You can just walk into certain stores without an ID and buy it if you look old enough. Or just steal it from your parents. I'm pretty sure that more households have alcohol or tobacco than marijuana.

Apparently, alcohol, tobacco, inhalants and marijuana are considered "gateway drugs", though I'm not really sure I like that term. Just whatever happens to make it's way to you first. I went to a pretty shitty highschool and a ton of the kids did cheese, or at least sold it. Had I been dumber, that probably would have been my "gateway drug". I guess in the strictest sense, mine was a holiday beer on Christmas from my mom when I was 12. (Needless to say, I do metric shittons of random drugs almost all the time now.)

Or actually- dunno. Maybe my gateway drug was cough syrup. Once I overdosed on that stuff when I was a kid and tripped balls and puked all night. It might have been the fever though. I've never intentionally been on a robotrip so I don't really have a good frame of reference.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
#72 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 2:21 AM
I definitely agree about peers shaping the way you think more than parents. It's not even about your peers telling you what to do or anything, it's just about finally making your own decisions even if your knowledge of the world is absurdly limited.

As far as pot, people are always going to want to chase a heightened emotional state. Drugs, driving fast, aggressive behavior or even more mundane things like spending time with your hunny or playing video games are things that even when faced with the possibility of prosecution and physical harm people are still going to do. It just feels too good. And when compared to what's already legally available, pot... pfft not so harmful.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 2:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree
Just to throw an anecdote out there: my parents have been heavy smokers for over 20 years, and I've never so much as taken a drag of a cigarette. More generally, children often strike out away from their parents' behaviors. Children are actually more influenced by their peers than their parents. Further, marijuana is not a gateway drug. Those who would have done harder drugs, would do so without the influence of marijuana, and those who would not, are not going to change their opinions on harder stuff just because they tried marijuana. There are plenty of people who use marijuana and never touch the harder stuff.

Who do you think their peers consist of? They're just more drug addicts.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
#74 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 2:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiryu007Joker
Who do you think their peers consist of? They're just more drug addicts.

Ooh... shits about to get REAL
Mad Poster
#75 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 3:34 AM
Well I don't see the problem with it being used for medical purposes, I just think it can lead to other drugs, cause problems, and that children or teenagers get access to it too easily.

Page 3 of 9