Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 6:33 AM
Default Simbots Revisited
It's been my opinion that when EA thought up Simbots they took a great idea and ruined it completely, making them something almost nobody likes to play. With annoying bleeps, blurps, crazy reactions from other sims, needing to recharge, a funky appearance, stupid looking walking and a voice so annoying it could literally kill any simcats in proximity.... well... I wanted to fix them into something android like where they behaved more like electronically enhanced sims instead of a robot on electronic crack.

Changing the appearance... Done... (Master Controller makes it easy)
Changing the walk... Done... Editing the locomotion.xml allows them to walk and run normally.
Changing the charge issue... Done... Editing the eat scrap file to give max hunger/energy keeps them running...
Getting them so they don't sound like electronic soup where ever they go... FINALLY done thanks to my modification of "No more annoying sounds by jonha" (sweet idea Jonha).
How to get rid of that HORRIBLE synthetic voice? Man, I don't have a clue... If I could figure that out I'd upload my Simbot-Android conversion package for review.

I'm really hoping some of you gurus can figure this one out. I hope it isn't something that's like the vampire's overlay where it's hard coded in and it can't be changed. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 11:57 AM
was step 2 hard? i can't seem do it it freezes my game an the only file i found hasn't been updated for pets

can you give me any hints please?

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. - L. Lavner
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 6:27 PM
The locomotion xml is located in the Jazz data package.

With S3PE I just wrote over the default information (located about 3/4 of the way down) with this....

Code:
    <Style name="FrankenSimWalk" productflags="8">
        <Variant age="adult"   gender="male"   start="adult_turn_and_go" cycle="adult_male_walk"   stop="adult_turn_and_stop" turn="adult_turn_in_place" />
        <Variant age="adult"   gender="female" start="adult_turn_and_go" cycle="adult_female_walk" stop="adult_turn_and_stop" turn="adult_turn_in_place" />
        <Variant age="teen"    gender="male"   start="adult_turn_and_go" cycle="teen_walk"   stop="adult_turn_and_stop" turn="adult_turn_in_place" />
        <Variant age="child"   gender="male"   start="child_turn_and_go" cycle="child_male_walk"   stop="child_turn_and_stop" turn="child_turn_in_place" />
        <Variant age="toddler" gender="male"   start="toddler_standing_turn_and_go"      cycle="p_walk"        stop="toddler_standing_turn_and_stop" turn="toddler_standing_turn_in_place" />
    </Style>

<Style name="FrankenSimRun" productflags="8">
      <Variant age="adult" start="adult_turn_and_run" cycle="adult_male_run_fast" stop="adult_turn_and_stop_from_run" turn="adult_turn_in_place" />
      <Variant age="teen" start="adult_turn_and_run" cycle="adult_male_run_fast" stop="adult_turn_and_stop_from_run" turn="adult_turn_in_place" />
    </Style>

*edit* Naturally, before doing this, I'd extract the package and modify the one you extracted, putting it into your mods folder. Don't hose your game by modifying the original EA file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 6:44 PM
Just an update... I got a message back from Twallan telling me voice modification can't be done with coding. (Thank you Twallan for checking) It pretty much means if there is a solution to the voice issue, it's in modifying the package content. I've tried all I can think of thus far, including modifying the VOCE files in countless different configurations, and so far everything I've done is either non-productive or counter-productive. It would seem I'm better at breaking things than I thought. I have to believe that the voice modulation is in the game code and there isn't a back door EA left for disabling it. While I'm not one to give up easily, I'd certainly welcome any input or ideas people might have on the issue as I'm really at a loss.

Thanks
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 6:52 PM
Well, you could replace the frankensim _AUD files with ones from normal sims?
Alot of work i guess(there are many) but doable.
Instructor
#6 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 7:15 PM
thanks goomphys

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. - L. Lavner
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Well, you could replace the frankensim _AUD files with ones from normal sims?
Alot of work i guess(there are many) but doable.

From what I can tell, there aren't different voice files for Frankensims (simbots). There are pretty much just three voices for adults males and three for adult female and those voices are put through a direct x filter of some sort before being played to produce the effect.

Thanks for the idea. I honestly hadn't thought to check for that possibility as I always assumed the fore-mentioned, but upon your suggestion, I explored the possibility.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:38 PM
I didn't know there are only 3, i looked up all_AUD files related to the frankensim and many popped up, thats why.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 12:48 PM
I'd like to upload this but because I've used altered content from other creators who have put a lot of their own time and effort into modding, I'd like to ask if such a thing is okay to do if proper credit is given to those I've borrowed from. Here's the run-down.

What it does...

Simbots shouldn't short out any more.
Simbots walk (and run) normally, Playable Mummies walk normally.
Eating scrap restores more motives and the animation for eating scrap has been replaced with the animation for eating fortune cookies.
The animation for smashing an object has been replaced with the fire fighter's animation for breaking down a door.
There's no reaction to Simbots.
There's no annoying Simbot sounds (Blurping and Bleeping)

I borrowed content from and then altered the content of the following people...

shoni89P - Simbots / Playable Mummies Walk Normally (Took the new locomotion xml from pets and altered it in the same way as Shoni89P for the walk style on Simbots and Mummies, then added the run from vampires, minus the effect, to the simbots)

siawn - No Autonomous Reaction to Simbots (Took the file then further altered it to remove the increasing likeliness that a Simbot would short out.)

Jonah - No More Annoying Sounds (Took the concept of replacing sounds with null sounds in the same manner. Applied it to the annoying sounds simbots make where ever they go)

The packs required should be...

Late Night (Vampire's run used)
World Adventures (Fortune Cookie animation)

Am I okay to put this file up (in this thread) so people can test it out, or should I first seek the permission of the modders I've borrowed concepts from? Or should I just not put it up?

Thanks
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 1:09 PM
I would ask permission to the creators who made those files, but thats wat i would do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#11 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 3:01 PM
I would follow the guidelines for using outdated or abandoned mods here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=426734
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I would follow the guidelines for using outdated or abandoned mods here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=426734

Thanks, that makes it pretty clear. Since the mods I've borrowed from are from active people, it seems to be most respectful that I keep my alterations and creations to myself in this case. I owe the people creating here a lot.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Dec 2016 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by goomphys
From what I can tell, there aren't different voice files for Frankensims (simbots). There are pretty much just three voices for adults males and three for adult female and those voices are put through a direct x filter of some sort before being played to produce the effect.

Thanks for the idea. I honestly hadn't thought to check for that possibility as I always assumed the fore-mentioned, but upon your suggestion, I explored the possibility.

You have found this the direct x filter?