Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Catchup2018 - posted on 1st May 2018 at 1:50 PM
Replies: 1893 (Who?), Viewed: 160749 times.
Page 2 of 76
Scholar
#26 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 2:24 AM
TACO!!!! And maybe a burrito, too!

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Field Researcher
#27 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 1:10 PM
Since it is summer here and too hot to live. we will be having a platter.
French bread, cherry tomatoes, olives ,mature cheddar, goats cheese, blue, brie. With peppadews, preserved figs and fresh melon.
I think a couple of glasses of red wine will go nicely with all that
Inventor
#28 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 7:21 PM
Um, pizza on a baguette with cheese and tomato.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 8:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiumgirl
Since it is summer here and too hot to live. we will be having a platter.
French bread, cherry tomatoes, olives ,mature cheddar, goats cheese, blue, brie. With peppadews, preserved figs and fresh melon.
I think a couple of glasses of red wine will go nicely with all that

It's so unfair! I couldn't press the "love" button enough times *drool*

"Cheese, Grommit! We forgot the Cheese!"

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 11:43 PM
I'm about to start making a big raspberry pie for a dinner party I'm going to tonight, crust and all. There's nothing like some baking to get me in a good mood!
Scholar
#31 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 4:08 AM
Raspberry pie? Marry me.

I went to a potluck (so technically I wasn't something that I had cookin but whatevs.) and somebody brought this really awesome banana pudding. It was layered with Nilla wafers and frozen banana slices- and the pudding itself had the consistency of whipped cream. I made some rice crispy treats with almond-marshmallow fluff and dried golden raisins & apricots. I molded them into little balls and rolled them in crushed toasted almonds- I love almonds too much.

Also, I think I've pimped Dopefish before, but his cooking videos are all really cute. This one, however is just fucking awesome.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Mad Poster
#32 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 4:45 AM
It still needs another 35 minutes in the oven, but:
Theorist
#33 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 5:16 AM
@lethifold: So that's what an oven looks like when the power is on?

Anyways, just bought pizza for dinner with some friends last night- and whoever divided the pieces must not have learnt fractions in math...
Scholar
#34 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 5:25 AM
My favorite casserole tonight, basically a modified lasagna with meat, "shells" pasta, parmesan, onion, and tomato soup concentrate.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 8:32 AM
Pare321 - I've had that banana and nilla wafer thing before - it is pretty good.

Lethifold - Please share your recipe. That just looks amazing and I never would have thought that raspberries would make a good pie because they are so juicy. Now I want pie.

The Great AntiJen
staff: moderator
#36 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 12:02 PM
mmmm - now I'm hungry. Tonight I'm making vegetarian stew (with Linda McCartney sausages and dumplings). May not sound too interesting but it's one of my favourite meals. I've been making it ever since I worked in a veggie restaurant and shop back in the day. It's good for a cold wet day in England too. And it's bloody cold and wet here today <grumble>.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Mad Poster
#37 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 12:24 AM
VerDeTerre, I used this recipe for the filling and this for the crust recipe. Seeing as I was cooking for a friend who is almost entirely lactose intolerant, I used vegetable oil instead of butter, which made the pastry feel a lot lighter, too. Also, I would recommend making slightly more dough than the recipe suggests, perhaps half a recipe more. I had to hurriedly make a second batch of it because the bottom of my pie was slightly too thin.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 1:12 AM
Thanks so much!

Forum Resident
#39 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 3:10 AM
Just pulled a loaf of rosemary bread out of the oven to nibble with some leftover vegetable soup, smoked provolone, and some merlot. It'd be a nice winter meal, but it feels like spring outside. Oh well. The house stays cool enough inside to be worth it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 3:16 AM
Boy, I am such a sucker for cheese, bread and wine. *drool* Any variation on that works for me.

Scholar
#41 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 6:03 PM
Hot chocolate and vegetable soup.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 10:36 PM
Mead.

Yep, seriously, that's what's cooking right now. Unfortunately we don't get to see if it's any good for at least 3 months.
Theorist
#43 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 2:36 PM
Had some homemade chocolate chip cookies with macadamia nuts- bought from Famous Amos

... Aaand boiling some water with an automatic water heater
Scholar
#44 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 5:54 PM
Veggie Burger, oreos, banana and nutella smoothie.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 8:21 PM
A really nice, smooth butter-bean and thyme soup, with Portuguese bread. Awesome and quick!
Test Subject
#46 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 4:28 AM
pancakes.. really! P:
Banned
#47 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 4:40 AM
I envy you people.

I am currently poor, so I am eating leftovers...

...FROM CHRISTMAS.
Scholar
#48 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 6:00 AM
Spaghetti with home-made garlic bread.

A few days ago I made peanut-butter-chocolate pancakes. Just scoop some creamy peanut butter into the pancake batter (helps thicken it up too--of course, I was just using the boxed mix--I don't know how to make pancake batter from scratch), then, after pouring the batter into the skillet (I am poor, so I don't have a griddle), sprinkle chocolate chips into pancake.

It's amazing what stuff (that actually ends up tasting good) you can come up with simply by throwing together the leftover crap you have in you near-empty kitchen cabinets!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#49 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothereyjana
...pancake batter (helps thicken it up too--of course, I was just using the boxed mix--I don't know how to make pancake batter from scratch)....

It's amazing what stuff (that actually ends up tasting good) you can come up with simply by throwing together the leftover crap you have in you near-empty kitchen cabinets!
It does sound intriguing. You really should give making batter from scratch a try- it's the easiest thing in the world. There's many kinds of recipes out there depending on what kind of flour you want. A basic recipe that has been translated into premixes is buttermilk. They're awesome with buttermilk, of course, but you can always substitute soured milk instead (add a little white vinegar or some lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes). We like to make a whole grain pancake around here. My boyfriend substitutes flax seed for some of the fat and oil or butter for the rest. The recipe calls for shortening but we never use it.

My son's and my favorite is German Apple Pancakes. My son usually makes them without the apple. The nice thing about them is that they bake in the oven so you can have many servings ready at the same time. I find these the easiest of all to make.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 9:56 PM
Funny this talk about pancakes. We almost made pancakes for dinner last night, but I opted to make homemade pizza.

My mom has a wonderful recipe for blueberry pancakes. It's the only one I've used to date that doesn't call for so much baking powder that the pancakes end up tasting bitter. Ugh, I hate that! I'll have to try adding a bit of peanut butter to the base recipe and then the choc. chips. I think my husband would really like that since he loves Reese's PB Cups.

I'm making banana bread today.

An update on our mead, in case anyone was wondering. We took a class this weekend and we've done most everything right since we followed a recipe. The instructor stated a specific time for racking the mead for secondary fermentation, but my husband thinks we don't need to since the recipe didn't call for it. I really think we should follow the instructor's directions. If we don't, I'm not sure if I want to drink our mead when it's ready.
Page 2 of 76