Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 3:49 PM
I agree with secretsim.

Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The beauty of Expansion Packs - It's optional. EPs usually have nice features in all EPs, regardless of overall theme.

You're right. If this is nothing but a magic EP, I will NOT be getting it. If I want witches, fairies and werewolves I'll go play an RPG, thank you very much.

But even if I don't buy this EP, I'll still be extremely disappointed because I know that that's now one fewer EP opportunities to get the "normal" stuff that I DO want. Werewolves would be fine if basic, life simulation things were already in the game, like owning and running a business (OFB style, as it should be), changing of the seasons/weather, sports, even banking. I mean really, we're on the third installment of the Sims series and we STILL have not seen a proper banking system in this game. So I can turn into a Werewolf, but can I take out a mortgage or open a checking account? Nope. Dumb.

This is disappointing to me because The Sims is the only decent life simulation game on the market. But instead of getting life simulation, we're getting more and more of the weird, supernatural and extraordinary (Showtime). Which, again, wouldn't be too bad if we already had the "basics" in place. But we don't. Not even close (in my mind).

I know many will disagree, but that's where I'm coming from.
Advertisement
Inventor
#102 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 3:55 PM
I really don't want to have to travel to get to the magic world. I hate loading screens and it annoys me that you'll have essentially two savegames in one from the moment you traveled. I think a far better solution to the problem would be a setting where you could switch individual supernaturals on and off. This would also make those happy that would love to switch off vampires. Unless they put that setting not in the patch, but in the EP itself...
Forum Resident
#103 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LotrFanboy
I agree with secretsim.

You're right. If this is nothing but a magic EP, I will NOT be getting it. If I want witches, fairies and werewolves I'll go play an RPG, thank you very much.

But even if I don't buy this EP, I'll still be extremely disappointed because I know that that's now one fewer EP opportunities to get the "normal" stuff that I DO want. Werewolves would be fine if basic, life simulation things were already in the game, like owning and running a business (OFB style, as it should be), changing of the seasons/weather, sports, even banking. I mean really, we're on the third installment of the Sims series and we STILL have not seen a proper banking system in this game. So I can turn into a Werewolf, but can I take out a mortgage or open a checking account? Nope. Dumb.

This is disappointing to me because The Sims is the only decent life simulation game on the market. But instead of getting life simulation, we're getting more and more of the weird, supernatural and extraordinary (Showtime). Which, again, wouldn't be too bad if we already had the "basics" in place. But we don't. Not even close (in my mind).

The Sims has always been wacky, and would be completely boring if it wasn't. I hope the dev's don't make The Sims 4 as dull as you suggest. The Sims 4: Cubicle Workers doesn't sound remotely as fun as this EP.
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
The Sims has always been wacky, and would be completely boring if it wasn't. I hope the dev's don't make The Sims 4 as dull as you suggest. The Sims 4: Cubicle Workers doesn't sound remotely as fun as this EP.

I know it's always been a little wacky, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be. I'm not arguing for ultra-realism here -- that would be boring. My argument is that Sims 3 is getting a little *too* wacky, with not enough "normal" to balance it out. This is a LIFE simulation game, after all.

And what did I suggest that was "dull"? How you get from the suggestions I made to "Sims 4: Cubicle Workers" is beyond me. Nice sarcasm, though.
Forum Resident
#105 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:24 PM
I know it's always been a little wacky, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be. I'm not arguing for ultra-realism here -- that would be boring. My argument is that Sims 3 is getting a little *too* wacky, with not enough "normal" to balance it out. This is a LIFE simulation game, after all.

And what did I suggest that was "dull"? How you get from the suggestions I made to "Sims 4: Cubicle Workers" is beyond me. Nice sarcasm, though.

I can perfectly understand wanting some more normal stuff, but some of us have wanted another magic EP since The Sims 2 came around. Is it that bad to give some of the fans something they've wanted for a long time?

Also, Generations added tons more realism (midlife crisis, canes, graduation, etc.) and is considered by most to be the worst EP yet. (I believe that easily falls to WA myself though.)

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but part of the reason The Sims has been so successful is it's abnormal view on life.

That said, a banking system could be cool if done right. It would be hilarious if Frugal sims could store their money randomly around the house, like people who lived through the depression did.
Field Researcher
#106 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:44 PM
Why can't people stop moaning about weather. It was nice to have it but god, let it go... we'll get it in due time. -_-.

Sorry, I don't want to sound rude but can I have an opinion or I need to ask you a permission ?

I'm waiting for weather since the start and magic doesn't appeal to me, I need things more realistic.

I also don't like showtime.... and I don't know if We will ever have Seasons...

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Also, Generations added tons more realism (midlife crisis, canes, graduation, etc.) and is considered by most to be the worst EP yet. (I believe that easily falls to WA myself though.)

I think the reason Generations gets a bad wrap (and deservedly so in many cases) is not because it's too realistic but because it's short on content and felt half done. I liked and still do like the concept of Generations; it was the execution that was the problem.

I know many of you have been looking forward to magic for a long time, and I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. I know I'm in the minority, but I just wanted to speak my peace. I've done that. I'll leave you guys to have fun speculating and anticipating.

Maybe once EP8 is announced I'll finally have my turn to be excited. I can only hope.
Theorist
#108 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:51 PM
Why can't people stop moaning about weather. It was nice to have it but god, let it go... we'll get it in due time. -_-

^EA doesn't care about CC. They say they do, but the game is their priority, not player content. Even if players got custom skin tones working problem free...

I know they don't care about CC. In fact, they try their best to discourage it!

But altered game files could have implications for any Premium Content that they EA want to sell in their Store. That they DO care about, I assure you.

And my point was that some people were speculating that the EP7 patch leak was intentional. I was trying to explain why I did not believe this to be the case by offering examples of some of the implications of having different versions of the game floating about.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Inventor
#109 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 5:05 PM
Just looked through the IMAG resources in DeltaBuild0.package and there a few new ones that fall into the following categories:
  • beginnings of an Alchemy Dialog
  • color ramps for the skin tones
  • creature place holders
  • stuff related to the new In-Game Gifting
  • vampire related icons that apparently were moved from LN to here
  • some placeholder icons that look like folders and are called "Sets"

What's really interesting, though, is that the creature place holders are also in a modified CASBasics image (S3_2F7D0004_00000000_A467D0394222BEE0_ATLAS_CASBasics_00). This could be a hint that in EP 7, you can make playable creatures in CAS. There are placeholders for: frankensim (i.e. Simbot), werewolf, vampire, mummy, ghost, witch, fairy, imaginary friend, genie, human.

I wonder what "Sets" could be.
Scholar
#110 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 5:07 PM
Why can't people stop moaning about weather. It was nice to have it but god, let it go... we'll get it in due time. -_-

"due time" passed three years ago.

I agree with the others who are saying that the beauty of EPs being optional doesn't fix everything. Now, in a perfect world it would. By a perfect world I mean if all of the EPs were available from day one and you could pick the ones you want and leave the others be.

Obviously it can't be that way. This creatures EP will be the second EP in a row I won't even be thinking of purchasing. That IS annoying. I want something to be excited for, and now I'm realizing it will be at least a year before I have that again. How can one not be annoyed by that?

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#111 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 5:07 PM

Actually, up until Late Night, fans complained that the game was too rigid, and that all Sims did was work. The game took it self too seriously (everyone saw that), and felt that the humor was gone. Slowly, but surely, the game started to regain a bit of humor. Late Night was a bit more fun, but the celebrity system was still a problem, as that was too strict. Then came punishment, and the little rumor mill that came with Generations. Pets and Showtime are bit of a break from the over-bearing sense of structure in the game. The game wasn't all that wacky up until showtime came out, which is still pretty tame and you're complaining about magic? This is, probably, the least wacky of all the games so far. Especially when you can ignore it completely. Even Makin' Magic offered an optional world to explore and brought forth quite a few things for the home world. Same with showtime offering things that had nothing to do with fame, as did pets with nothing to do regarding pets, etc. They all have, so "just magic" wont be an issue.

Quote: Originally posted by Nightlight
Sorry, I don't want to sound rude but can I have an opinion or I need to ask you a permission ?

I'm waiting for weather since the start and magic doesn't appeal to me, I need things more realistic.

I also don't like showtime.... and I don't know if We will ever have Seasons...

It's ok to have an opinion, but you seem to be overlooking the bigger picture. It's very hard to enjoy the announcement of an EP (or leak) when a crap to of people (not just you) complain that the EP isn't weather. Quite frankly, the sims 2 skipped out on 2 EPS from the Sims 1 that are being offered to us in the same year with 3 - both my favorites, and quite a few other people. We complained until we got it, yes, but it's nothing like the nag-monster that is weather. Shouldn't we be happy for those who got what they wanted, and had to wait a hell of a lot longer for it than weather in 3. You know, like a whole game cycle that went by.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#112 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 5:42 PM
It's ok to have an opinion, but you seem to be overlooking the bigger picture. It's very hard to enjoy the announcement of an EP (or leak) when a crap to of people (not just you) complain that the EP isn't weather.

I don't think so. When something that I really want is announced I'm happy no matter what.

"crap of people".. nobody has offended you.. so please, be more gentle.

For the second part... i don't understand what you said, sorry.
English is not my mother language... but I don't want to argue... for me anyone can think what he want.

I'm happy to read that people are happy about this ep, but if someone it isn't he can have the right to say it with an appropriate language.

That's all

Mad Poster
#113 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:19 PM
I'm fall into the rank of people who don't believe the "leak" was intentional. A leaked EP trailer, can be something that they can do on purpose. But this, this requires that people go through the files and packaged to find these things. And I don't think EA is sneaky enough to think, "lets hide this stuff, and wait for the community to find it, it will make the information more believable".

I can relate to the people who want weather. I want it as well, but I do believe we are getting it. Maybe it will be the last EP, because it will clog our computer memory and then they can start marketing TS4 as a smooth running game. Last EP, or second last, I still have faith we are getting weather. Unfortunately I don't have faith in OFB, my favourite EP will most likely not make a come-back.

This is going to be the second EP in a row where the major feature doesn't interest me that much. I'm happy we are getting witches but the rest, specially fairies I have little interest in. I'm still going to buy this, every EP brings with it more things for normal Sims, even if it's just a few items or interactions. I didn't get super excited about SHT until I saw the list of normal items from the SimsVIP post. So I'm expecting something similar to happen here.
Scholar
#114 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:38 PM
I for one have been quietly hoping for a supernatural EP like this since Sims 3 started - where everything occult is bunched into one - and now it seems that it may happen. So I personally am overjoyed... It does make it hard to actually want to say that I'm overjoyed, when there are a loads of others who may want to shove it down my throat for saying so because weather hasn't happened in Sims 3 yet... Hasn't it occured to anyone who is weather-mad that maybe EA want to actually do a great job with it, and don't want to rush it out half-assed as they have done with previous (and the current) EP? Maybe they have such huge plans for a weather EP, they wanna make sure they get it spot on so they make everyone happy; it actually might be worth the wait.... I too would like some weather in the game, but it's not the be all and end all. You get weather in real life all the time; you don't get supernaturals in real life, unless you watch telly.

For me, the Sims is about escapism from the real world; I don't want to play the game and have too much of the 'real world' staring right back at me. Having these 'fun' types of EPs breaks up the monotony that the Sims can bring and in IMO, and it is only my opinion in case I get flamed, I did become bored of Sims 3 - and haven't played it for ages. My interest has been renewed because of the speculation of this supernatural EP, and for the first time in a long time, I am very excited - the way I was back in the day of the original Sims and Sims 2. And I know those who are waiting for weather will be just as excited, or even more, once that EP has been annouced. And I will be ecstatic for you all finally getting what you want.

But for those of us who have been hoping for something like this - who don't stamp our feet when an EP hasn't been what we wanted it to be - and may be finally getting it, can we not have our moment to celebrate, to speculate, and to be a little bit happy? Is that too much to ask??

...Titanium white...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#115 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:44 PM
I have never made any secret of the fact I only ever played sims for those parts of it which are an attempt at simulating human life. We have air, rail, civic simulations that are taken seriously by their authors and attempt to model real life management and physics, so why can't someone bother to do the same for community life without the apparent need to turn it into a cartoon?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#116 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I can relate to the people who want weather. I want it as well, but I do believe we are getting it. Maybe it will be the last EP, because it will clog our computer memory and then they can start marketing TS4 as a smooth running game. Last EP, or second last, I still have faith we are getting weather. Unfortunately I don't have faith in OFB, my favourite EP will most likely not make a come-back.

Now you see, if it were a full-blown OFB remake we were getting, I wouldn't be complaining. Because I think that open restaurants and stores is very much something that we need back.

But these EPs like SHT and EP7 are adding things I really can't see as necessary, and if they really are taking slots away from EPs like Seasons and an OFB remake, then I can not be happy for them at all.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#117 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:47 PM
If folks other other people saying they want weather or don't like this current EP to diminish their own excitement about the Magic EP, it is their problem, not the problem of those who are disappointed in the theme of the pack. You build your own happiness and if you allow others to affect that, then you really can't blame them. I could understand if people here were calling you 'stupid, idiot, crazy" just for liking the Magic EP. But people expressing their own views and disappointment should not affect you. Let it go. They have the right to feel bad just as much as you have the right to feel happy.

Personally, I find it terribly insulting when someone tells me I should 'shut up' because it makes them unhappy when we are simply expressing their opinions. I see this all over these forums and not sure if it is immaturity or simply oversensitivity of highly creative people. The world does not revolve around each of us as individuals and we need to respect the opinions of others and even more so, accept that they do not feel the same we do all the time.

While the "I won't buy this because there is no werewolf' crowd really annoyed me at times, I could certainly respect their feelings on this matter. Feelings are never wrong..because they are feelings, not facts. Please respect the reasons why some folks do not want magic elements in their game or people who would have preferred another type of EP.

I suspect that you would not tell your friend they are ruining your interest in Ugg boots because they express that they do not like Ugg boots. It is the same thing here. Skip over those posts if it bothers you so much or stay away from the forums.
Theorist
#118 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:56 PM Last edited by lisfyre : 10th Mar 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Well said. Another EP we're passing up. I'm sticking to my guns and holding out for weather/seasons. I know, we'll get it eventually... well, guess I'll be buying it... eventually. I still want to see things we got used to in The Sims 2... after ALL the EP's were released and we finally got a real "life" simulation. I think EA should have had them at the base game like OFB, swimming in the ocean, diving boards, REAL APARTMENTS as in multi-family housing - not shells, to name a few. Instead what do we have - nothing to compare to the TS2 experience and players "whining, whinging, complaining and asking" for all that stuff that should have been there in the first place. OK, we all have already heard it before but you wouldn't hear it again if they had done it right the first time. I never paid attention to the supernatural in TS2, I just ignored them completely but I am NOT going to buy an EP dedicated to the supernatural and "magic".

Like LoTRFanBoy said if I wanted magic, witches, fairies ... I'd go play an RPG... well I don't play them but I'd go play an MMORPG which is where I get my dose of "socializing" and "magic" and "supernatural".

Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
But for those of us who have been hoping for something like this - who don't stamp our feet when an EP hasn't been what we wanted it to be - and may be finally getting it, can we not have our moment to celebrate, to speculate, and to be a little bit happy? Is that too much to ask??

I am happy for you. I was happy for those people that got PETS when it finally came out. I didn't want PETS so I didn't buy it. I didn't buy SHT because I didn't feel it would be value added to the game that I play. Actually SHT is the only EP that got me steaming mad because regardless of how "optional" you make social networking/media, the Sims has and I hope always will be a STANDALONE SANDBOX game. I don't want to talk to anyone when I'm playing Sims, it's my me time. My husband plays the same game beside me and we don't feel the need to talk to each other about our sims in our games. Moving right along... I won't be getting EP7 because again, like PETS and SHT, I don't feel it would be value added to my game. I'm waiting on other things that I think are important to me and my gaming experience that may not be to other players.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Top Secret Researcher
#119 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:12 PM
Oddly enough, I would not be so sad if this were a pack devoted solely to Magic and supernaturals. But it won't be..they will add a few bones that are absolutely needed for a life simulator, like the pool table and that dang riding bull (love that!). I would happily buy the bees and candle making along with the Psychic career from the store...and that is saying a lot coming from me...and pass on this EP.

But of course, they won't do that. In the end, because I can afford it, I will buy the EP and then put in mods that turn off all the features but a few that I want. Again, that does not leave a warm sunny feeling inside me regarding EA or the game. If another came along that was more aligned with true sandbox play with better controls of what we could or could not have in our game, I would be on it like rats jumping off a sinking ship!
Alchemist
#120 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
"due time" passed three years ago.

This creatures EP will be the second EP in a row I won't even be thinking of purchasing.

I'm totally with you on this
Instructor
#121 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:16 PM
I'm actually super-stoked about this. Makin' Magic was my favorite Sims 1 expansion. If it is like it seems, and it's a creature jumbo-pack, even better. I think I'm one of the nerds that's the perfect audience for this though--I've always played the Sims franchise for its wackiness (suggestions about making the franchise more realistic baffle me--I already have a ton of rl responsibilities. I don't want to come home from work and then play these responsibilities on TS3. I want to fly on a broom and turn into a werewolf).

Re: weather. The closest thing we ever got to weather in TS1 was a spell in Makin' Magic that watered all the plants on the lot. It doesn't seem like there would be a place for weather in this pack, but one can hope. I do think it's strange that fans have been asking for weather since the base game, and that's been largely ignored. Then again, fans were asking Maxis for weather since the Sims 1, and that didn't happen until EP5 for Sims 2.

For all of those who are disappointed, maybe the next expansion will include weather, swimable oceans and lakes, and OFB type stuff? HAHA, just kidding--EAs too dopey to listen to their fans.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#122 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nightlight
I don't think so. When something that I really want is announced I'm happy no matter what.

"crap of people".. nobody has offended you.. so please, be more gentle.

For the second part... i don't understand what you said, sorry.
English is not my mother language... but I don't want to argue... for me anyone can think what he want.

I'm happy to read that people are happy about this ep, but if someone it isn't he can have the right to say it with an appropriate language.

That's all

Oh, excuse me, I meant crap-ton (sorry, I don't edit my posts very much), which is basically a lot of people. But what I'm saying isn't false - people really need to stop begging for weather and complaining when we don't get it. It's not very appealing to the community, and I feel bad for EA in that regard.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#123 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:29 PM
Oh, excuse me, I meant crap-ton (sorry, I don't edit my posts very much), which is basically a lot of people..

Ah, ok. No problem

Mad Poster
#124 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:39 PM
What would be really be nice if they were to add some toggles to the options/settings under story progression. Something that looked like this:

[ ] vampires
[ ] unicorns
[ ] imaginary friends
....etc.
Instructor
#125 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:56 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but it would be extremely helpful if people would stop filling this thread with complaints about this EP. It is exceedingly irritating having to sift through complaints in order to find information. That being said, here is something I found on this very topic: http://vidkid20ssimlair.blogspot.co...d-magic-ep.html

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Locked thread | Locked by: Srikandi Reason: Supernatural's out! Yay!
Page 5 of 105