Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 2:08 AM
CAW unable to load file.
I just installed showtime and uninstalled CAW and reinstalled it just like it told me to, to update it. I saved the .world and .settings files for a world I was working on. After reinstalling, I placed the files back into the UserToolData/Worlds folder and ran CAW, but it says it is unable to load the file.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 2:16 AM
Can it load it if you remove the settings file? What is the exact error, could you post a screenshot? Will it open and save another world, or a new world?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 2:42 AM
I cant load it if I remove the settings file.

I cant seem to get a screenshot but it basically says this:

Unable to Load. 'C:/Users/Mark/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create a World Tool/UserToolData/Worlds/Sturgeon Bay.world': Could not Load File. C:/Users/Mark/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create a World Tool/UserToolData/Worlds/Sturgeon Bay.world

I can open and save other worlds. I don't know if this is the problem, but I seem to be missing the Global Layer in the Layers folder.

GTA V
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:00 AM
That will be the problem, then. Do you have an older backup?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:08 AM
Nope. I'm currently trying out this method: http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...593&postcount=3
I'll report whether it works in a few minutes
Because I'm not to fond of a fresh start.

GTA V
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:22 AM
OK, now its working, everything is as I last saved it

GTA V
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:34 AM
Hehe, that's what I was going to suggest next! Well done for fixing it, please make some safe backups now!

Well done.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:38 AM
Now to learn how to make Chocolate-Stout brownies for St. Patricks Day

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 7:49 AM
Is there another method I can try? The one linked above didn't work for me.

Come Check out New York City!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 10:41 PM
Are you getting the exact same error message, Daniel? If so then you could try the first method, here:
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...586&postcount=2
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 12:21 AM
Yes, just as SImsample said, what error are you getting, and exactly what have you done in CAW recently that may possible make it happen.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 1:22 AM
I am getting the exact same message. I recently had to do a fresh install of Windows so I reinstalled all of my sims stuff. It was working fine before that. I'll give the other method a shot

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 2:38 AM
First of all do you have global layer for that world within it's file?

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
First of all do you have global layer for that world within it's file?

Yes, in the layers folder correct?

Another person (Rian90) was able to open it normally in her version of CAW so I need to figure out what is wrong with my setup. I hope I don't have to get Showtime just to open the world

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:03 AM
Also, you have the settings file right? Just checking

GTA V
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:07 AM
Delete the settings file, it only specifies which layer was active on last save and can cause problems if it is corrupt.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:08 AM
@RipTide
I do. I believe everything is intact. Layers folder, lots folder, settings file, and world file.

I will try that. Thanks Simsample

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 8:43 AM
Okay so I've fully updated, I've deleted the settings file, I've taken out my cc and my custom textures, and it still won't load. It's not corrupt however as Rian90 has successfully loaded it on her PC.

Is there some kind of end-user screw up that can cause this issue because I have to think it's something I am doing wrong, but I can't figure it out

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 3:16 PM
I don't know what to say then, maybe corrupt lots? But thats normally when you save not when you load.

GTA V
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel
Okay so I've fully updated, I've deleted the settings file, I've taken out my cc and my custom textures, and it still won't load. It's not corrupt however as Rian90 has successfully loaded it on her PC.

In that case then it must be something in your user data. Test the world with a fresh set of user files, both in CAW and Sims 3.

To do this, drag Documents/ Electronic Arts to the desktop and run CAW to generate a fresh set. Then close CAW, copy over your world file into the fresh CAW worlds folder, and try again.

Also test with your CAW custom content removed- so drag [Game Install Location] \Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 Create a World Tool \Packages to the desktop.

If it works then you know that something in those folders was causing the problem, so you can work to determine what.

@Riptide- it's not corrupt lots as someone else can load it okay.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 10:52 PM
Okay, did that and it still won't load. Might this occur if my EP's are not fully updated. I updated them to the latest patches I could find (corresponding of course).

Do they even make EP patches past 1.22.9?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 12:01 AM
If you had your basegame or any of the EPs patched to a higher level when you last worked on the world than you have now then that could possibly cause the problem. You can get all of the archived patches from links in our wiki:
Game Help:TS3 Patching/Archivewiki

And here's the patch table that shows the latest patches for the EPs:
Game Help:Patch Tablewiki
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 12:12 AM
Okay, well then everything is fully patched up. The last time I worked on it, I was patched up to 1.29. After I reinstalled, I patched up to 1.33 and downloaded the newest CAW.

I am at a complete loss...

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 12:32 AM
Just to check, you verified the gameversions of your EPs (WA 2.17, AMB 4.10 etc.)? And you can open other worlds successfully? You have all CC you used in this world installed in your game/CAW?

Another thing you could try is to delete the _KEY file; that can sometimes cause the world to stall loading. Otherwise, if you want to send a link then I could look at it to see if I can spot anything.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 12:42 AM
Thanks so much Simsample. I did check them all. I actually was doing that last night as well but did a double-check with the link you provided. Yes, all the cc is installed. If I somehow messed up my resource file, would it account for this issue?

Oh and yes, I can open other worlds (SV and Riverview, I have no others). I'll try the _KEY file thing and if not, I'll send you my stuff. What all would you need?

Edit: Does the CC have to be in my regular sims 3 folder (Documents/EA/Sims 3) as well as my CAW? I don't have them installed in my regular game but I don't remember that being an issue in the past...

Page 1 of 3