Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2013 at 6:35 AM
Default Do you think ts4 will include open worlds?
DISCUSS :cylon:
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th May 2013 at 6:40 AM
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#3 Old 7th May 2013 at 6:42 AM
I would hope/think so. For the most part, people seem to like the concept of an open world. It also encourages you to go off your home lot. I remember in Sims 2 that I rarely choose to leave home unless I had to, as I hate sitting through loading screens.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2013 at 6:46 AM
the sims 3 for me really suited my style of play a lot better than ts2. particularly the open world, and the playing one family at a time style. (i'm not being sarcastic at all about the second thing)

two sims games with open worlds sounds more exciting than.. just one.
Scholar
#5 Old 7th May 2013 at 7:28 AM
They wouldn't return back to loading screens, that would just be a step back in an old direction.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th May 2013 at 7:38 AM
yesm, but when you consider how they treated babies in ts3. they did take a step back.. wrapping em in a blanket
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th May 2013 at 7:54 AM
Yeah, the infant/toddlers/children stage was a major step backwards, the genetics was even elementary (actually lazy).

I can't imagine the next series being successful without an open world.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th May 2013 at 8:01 AM
As a Sims 2 player I hope they do something in-between. The main trouble I see with the open world of Sims 3 is that it takes a whole lot out of a computer because it has to render the whole lot at once. With loading screens it's only coping with that particular lot not a whole hood with many sims moving about at the same time. I'm not a techy, but I believe this was partly the reason for the rabbit holes-to try and give computers less to handle. I wouldn't mind it if they made it so we had the option of near, medium and far open settings. So you could on near just have your house and a few near by open and once you move past the site border it would open the next area while 'closing' the one behind. Then for people with super computers they could just have it on far which would show the whole hood.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 7th May 2013 at 8:18 AM
Well i think,they do.The open world is one of best part in ts3,and I can't even imagine that they could not include this,cuz ts series get more and more improving
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th May 2013 at 8:43 AM
According to the strength of your computer you can set up from low, medium, and high the amount of clear rendering of houses around your home. Like in my game, it will render 3 houses clearly and the rest further away will have low rendering.

It's all in how your graphics card and GPU can handle already. I will be miffed if I can't have that anymore.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th May 2013 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
As a Sims 2 player I hope they do something in-between. The main trouble I see with the open world of Sims 3 is that it takes a whole lot out of a computer because it has to render the whole lot at once. With loading screens it's only coping with that particular lot not a whole hood with many sims moving about at the same time. I'm not a techy, but I believe this was partly the reason for the rabbit holes-to try and give computers less to handle. I wouldn't mind it if they made it so we had the option of near, medium and far open settings. So you could on near just have your house and a few near by open and once you move past the site border it would open the next area while 'closing' the one behind. Then for people with super computers they could just have it on far which would show the whole hood.

honestly, i feel like rabbitholes (or non rabbitholes) will take up the same computer space/amount of rendering. i feel like rabbitholes were ea's laziness. i do hope we get businesses and restaurants this time around :/
Field Researcher
#12 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:04 AM
Umm why would it not? That is a MASSIVE step back.

19 - Female - Australia
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
but I believe this was partly the reason for the rabbit holes-to try and give computers less to handle.

I think the RH were there to give sims a place to work, because there is not "off - screen" like there was in TS2 where they could dissapere into when the car pool took them away.

Technically there is no limitation on not having an open world. Like lewisb40 stated, you can already adjust how many houses are rendered in detail.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:20 AM
I don't know if it's just my computer but RHs can take quite a bit of time to render too. Especially the Showtime ones for the big show.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
DISCUSS :cylon:

NO.

:P

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:38 AM
baha, inge i always love your responses and your work in general. high respect
Theorist
#17 Old 7th May 2013 at 9:58 AM
What'd be even more awesome, are subhoods.

When I was still a TS2 player, and could only dream about getting TS3, I was looking for some TS3 pictures and ran across this one.

I was like, "Sunset Valley road leads to somewhere!" But it didn't. In fact, we aren't even able to travel between Sims3 worlds if we don't have Nraas' Traveler.

My guess that the improvement (if they don't do step backwards) is the subhood concept, but without loading screens.

It's sorta similar to what joandsarah said. You'd have only one area fully rendered. There'd still be map view. Then, if you want to travel from your home (nice suburb) to have some fun at the club in downtown, you'd sit in your car and drive across the bridge to the town. All w/o loading screens (or VERY short ones).

But yet, if they improve the stability in the home world, they'd still bring the wonkiness back if they implement the above in the game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#18 Old 7th May 2013 at 10:00 AM
Well on second thoughts I sincerely hope it will! It was the one thing that made TS3 complete for me - that and parallel ageing. If only they hadn't snatched decent genetic inheritance away at the same time, cos that has definitely gone backwards since TS2.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#19 Old 7th May 2013 at 10:13 AM
Well duah...

Fear is only in our minds ♡ Taking over all the time..❤
Instructor
#20 Old 7th May 2013 at 10:48 AM
IT'S A MUST!

IMHO, Open World is the only best thing in TS3. Without it TS3 would be such a steps backward from the amazing TS2.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 7th May 2013 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
According to the strength of your computer you can set up from low, medium, and high the amount of clear rendering of houses around your home. Like in my game, it will render 3 houses clearly and the rest further away will have low rendering.

It's all in how your graphics card and GPU can handle already. I will be miffed if I can't have that anymore.

So the whole map doesn't have to show? or it shows, but at a lower resolution? Where is this under settings, it could help. Not that I've loaded Sims 3 for some time as I was hoping to find a solution to not getting the better Egyptian tasks instead of silly photos of things. Might give that up as a lost cause and swap to a different EP and call WA done with. I've had a lot of stuff moved off C drive onto D drive so it might work better now.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
One Minute Ninja'd
#22 Old 7th May 2013 at 12:20 PM
Not to cut short this debate, but there's no way TS4 could go back to "closed", single lot worlds after the TS3 experience. Never happen. It was one of the few good things to come with TS3. If anything, I expect there were lessons learned in how best to create and run an open world, and this next iteration should be smoother and smarter than the TS3 worlds were.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th May 2013 at 3:04 PM
i would absolutely love for the open worlds to be improved.
Alchemist
#24 Old 7th May 2013 at 3:07 PM
No open world, no buy for me
Theorist
#25 Old 7th May 2013 at 3:59 PM
Nope! It won't be open world, it won't even have open homes! Sims homes will become a rabbit hole. Sims will now just walk around in circles on their lawns complaining about how they hate buying soap. Oh noes!

Resident wet blanket.
Page 1 of 4