Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 10:55 AM
I've played too many Maxis / EA games over the last few years to have high expectations for Sims 4.
Maxis make shoddy engines and EA couldn't care less about post sale customer support
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm actually confused why people did't think that Sims 4 would be running on the Glassbox Engine - why would they make a big deal out of it in SimsCity's release if they were never going to use/adapt it again?

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 12:06 PM
I really, really hope they do some more work on the engine. Because tbh, SC4 didn't run that well for me, even on my shinyshiny rig. Stuff like following a specific car was super jerky, and while it ran and loaded fairly quickly, it wasn't -super- fast like it really should be on the kind of hardware I have. It wasn't as poor as TS3, but it wasn't great.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 5:56 AM
You've got it mixed up. SimCity 4 released before TS2 did. The newest one is usually referred to as SimCity, SimCity 5, or SimCity 2013.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#30 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 9:23 AM
Yeah, that thing. Derrp. Imma blame being sick. :P
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 11:47 PM
I am not sure how Glass Box can be made to be even remotely capable of working with Story Progression. Glass Box might be able to handle resource production and consumption (electricity, water, sewage, food) where it was not simulated before (therefore making bills more realistic). Glass Box might be able to handle basic routing for Sims if HIGHLY tweaked so that the sims have specific originations and destinations (instead of going to the nearest "sink") and maintain their identities. As a matter of fact, if Maxis can make Glass Box work well/properly/logically with the Sims 4, then I could see a SimCity 2016 I would be willing to buy (my price point for SimCity 2013 is $30 or $40 with an expansion, so it will take a while before I purchase).

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 6:57 PM
Default W-w-wait
There's one problem, glassbox use cloud-based server, which means it's only offering online mode. if they want to use it as the engine for the sims 4, then they need to make some modification.
Site Helper
#33 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 12:21 AM
Nonsense.

Glassbox doesn't use a cloud-based server. That's just the lie that EA told us because they didn't want to admit that glassbox runs flawlessly without an internet connection. They had to come up with some lie to justify forced online, because they didn't want to admit that the forced online strategy was a DRM strategy.

The glassbox engine works perfectly without an internet connection.
Scholar
#34 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 1:00 AM
Electronic Arts just publish the game without checking any missing bits...
Maxis... Don't give up...

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Inventor
#35 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 3:01 AM
I think Glassbox should work fine on Sim's game because it's optimized to handle this kind of gameplay.
Test Subject
#36 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 7:01 AM Last edited by boobzilla : 7th Aug 2013 at 7:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Legislacerator
Agents. Everywhere. Everything in this game is going to be agents.

im guessing you went with the red pill and not the blue one, neo.

it amuses me that people think ea maxis developers are actually paying attention to these forums and give a fraction of a turd about our complaints

majority of those of which wont consider getting it regardless
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 9:27 AM
I will buy it, install it and then play it that is the best way to decide wither or not the game is good or not. The game engine of sims 3 could not handle the game play that well from my experience so I hope that the one sims 4 is better.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 11:26 AM
I'll read reviews and then wait a week or two so as to gauge the community's reaction before deciding whether to buy it. That was my plan with Simcity and it saved me from that calamity.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Wild Turkey
I'll read reviews and then wait a week or two so as to gauge the community's reaction before deciding whether to buy it. That was my plan with Simcity and it saved me from that calamity.

Wise course of actions, I took that sort of view with skyrim, I brought it in the end and loved it.

I remember my reaction to sims 3 after I played for the frist several times.... I *****'n hate it! Where's my sims 2 :D

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Helptato
#40 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emeraldzephyr
Well, being able to make neighborhoods with it is something I'd really prefer over using something like CAW. I just hope that when you place lots in The Sims 4 they snap to the roads.

This! I hate how TS3 lots often only want to place miles away from the actual road.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Scholar
#41 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 5:56 PM Last edited by mithrak_nl : 12th Aug 2013 at 8:02 PM.
SC's glassbox engine does not work as advertised. When you see those little sims leave for work and come back, those 'agents' keep changing household and job every day. They just fill in available work, student, home slots as they come by.
TS3 already has a working engine where sims leave for their jobs and come back to the home they are supposed to (if they are not somewhere stuck having a routing failure anyway). So the sims are already tracked in detail. Glassbox can't even handle traffic with its low detail on agent tracking.

Therefore I don't see any reason to apply SC shoddy glassbox engine on TS4.
The whole point about performance is not holding up well either. Current SC has a lot less to process then TS3. SC is mainly a hot air balloon with some spreadsheet multiplayer called region play and a damaged franchise now. So please, don't use SC tech for TS4. If there is anything to learn, then it would be to make up something else.

EDIT : I get the impression that many posters in this thread have no clue about the issues surrounding the glassbox engine and the simulation part. All they see is better performance on their pc, without wondering why.
Alchemist
#42 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 7:54 PM Last edited by kennyinbmore : 13th Aug 2013 at 4:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by The Wild Turkey

That can also back fire as well. I bought TS3 on launch day. If I had waited to get player reviews and base my buying decision on it, I probably wouldn't have bought it when I read about pudding faces(I still don't know what that means), ugly sims(which I disagree with), and a bunch of glitches and bugs(which I've never had). I would have missed out on a game I enjoy to this day. 99.9% of the original complaints about simcity were the launch server issues, not the game itself from what I read(I'm not a sc player)
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 13th Aug 2013 at 4:41 PM
I read reviews after release and then wait until all the glitches are fixed and the new patches are out...or more likely, the fanbase fixes the glitches. THEN I buy and install the game or EP. It has saved me tons of headaches. I didn't do that with Sims 2 and had many more issues with the game. Actually ended up not buying the last Sims 2 EP (only one I haven't purchased) after reading about some problems. By the time they were fixed, everyone was on to Sims 3 so no big loss.

Of course, the base game won't get fixed by the fanbase because it will be brand new so my plan won't work there. However, I am happy to some extent with Sims 3 and I suspect we will have some amazing mods after it is no longer updated. So I think I can wait a bit...maybe. I rather doubt Sims 4 will be flawless. Feels to me like they changed to offline midstream and now have nothing to show us. That is why we are getting silly pictures. Even the trailer will probably include the tiny bits they have finished or can stage to look like they are finished. My guess is they sell us on a few really cool features and we have a very streamline, dumbed down base game...and start the wait for EPs to have a real game. Might as well wait for a few EPs before investing in another game.
Test Subject
#44 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:40 PM
I feel like that the sims 4 is just a upgraded version of the sims 2 (I HOPE!!!!) And that the sims 3 with it's shitload of bugs and lag and awful UI will not pass through....Although seeing EA's state right now..-groans-
Instructor
#45 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:48 PM
Having watched the gameplay video and seen a few pictures of the CAS system for the Sims four I have to wonder if they aren't basing this on a different engine.

That's the Spore Creature creator....which let you modify your critter in a lit of the same ways that the new CAS does. Uses the same platform, had ways for seeing how they would move, etc. To be honest, for the amount of effort that was put into the system I was suprised we hadn't seem bits of it showing up before now in other Maxis games*.

*And let's not mention Dark Spore.
Instructor
#46 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:11 AM
Well I guess this explains the undetailed textures lolz.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Mad Poster
#47 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:20 AM
I have noticed (and constantly bitched) that the textures are horrid on this. In many threads I've complained to pretty much deaf ears on the lazy, PS2-style meshing, on the 256x256 textures (as opposed to TS2's 512x512+), and the blocky, crappy-looking objects. I honestly believe that they could give us amazing HD textures if they only stepped up a bit and did that extra tiny bit of work.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:26 AM
TS3s CAS textures are generally 1024x1024 (face skin, body skin, face overlay, hair, clothes, etc). We have no idea what the texture size is for TS4, or were you referring to Spore?
Instructor
#49 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 5:04 AM

If we can import SimCity 2013 city layout to The Sims 4, that is a huge neighborhood.

May be that explain the simplified graphic and lack of CASt.
Inventor
#50 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:01 PM
Just wanna clear that up since we are allowed to talk about it.

They did NOT use the glassbox engine. They build new stuff they are not calling game engine but technologies and the name of it is SmartSims (I know, that sounds a bit like out of a press booklet)
Page 2 of 3