Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bellatrixclovis
I steel feel the burn of Simcity 2013 when in spite of all the doubts I still had, I rushed out to buy it on release. Epic failure of course, but I know the fan girl in me is week. For TS4, I'll try resist the urge to buy for something like... 1 month maybe? Knowing my lack of will power when it comes to Sims related stuff, it's the longest time I can sensibly expect to wait.

A month to read and view players' reviews and opinions. I don't trust the gaming news site (most looked stupid during the Simcity fiasco) to give any good (knowledgeable, honest, critic) review. I'm afraid many of the usual "fan sites" will be over enthusiastic and only cheer at the new shiny game, but lack any distance to critic the weaker aspects. I hope LGR will review TS4 because I find his opinions spot on most of time. I'll visit the forums here and at MATY, because if there is anything to critic, these are places I trust to be able to give a broader view of the game.

A month to let the "it's shiny and new" effect dissipates a bit too. A month to have an idea of how modable TS4 can be? What kind of DRM scheme is included (for real, not PR smoke screen)? How much "online crap" is in the game and how intrusive is it?

And if anything looks bad, this time I'll have a bit more respect for the old fan in me (and my wallet) and I'll postpone buying.

the real travesty of sim city is now in the reboot they stripped the game of its best features. soon as i heard theres not going to be a subway i knew was going to have to wait a couple sequels for them to catch up.

it amuses me that people think ea maxis developers are actually paying attention to these forums and give a fraction of a turd about our complaints

majority of those of which wont consider getting it regardless
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by boobzilla
the real travesty of sim city is now in the reboot they stripped the game of its best features. soon as i heard theres not going to be a subway i knew was going to have to wait a couple sequels for them to catch up.
This is so true! I wish I had resisted the usual tricky magic of their PR army. But Quigley's graphics were so shiny and I so much wanted to believe that one of my dream was actually coming true (a new Simcity 10 years after #4).

For TS4, EA has hardly revealed anything but the obvious: they're working on TS4 (no surprise), it will be released around 2014 (no surprise either) and finally they'll show it at Gamescom this month, although this took them some time to specify. Everything else in their announcement is "fluff and sparkle" but empty of any real meaning. They remain vague enough so that players can project what they want on those empty words. But EA doesn't give anything specific, so they don't commit themselves to anything either. Easy trick but we should really pay more attention to the exact wording of their announcements.

Whatever they say, I'm afraid they take the reboot road for TS4 too. In TS3 they proved they could seriously stray away from the main genre of the game, simulation. They forced RPG/quests/adventures and play pretend everywhere at the cost of a deep & rich simulation. They're welcome to include such features if and only if they enhance the core ones, like the wants/fears in TS2 (mini goals) could help defining a Sim's personality for instance. Then, you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: enrich your game and broaden the audience. But no, they took the narrow-minded path where EP's became mini-games and stopped expanding the game (you know, expanding as in expansion pack ). Play-pretend you're an explorer, a fire-fighter, a VIP, a singer, you run a horse ranch, live in an island paradise... Mini-games designed to entertain you for a limited amount of time until you're ready to buy the next crap (SP, store set, world). A great business model but a bad move for the franchise.

The new fad among the execs is always on and multi-player. Rumors tend to show that TS4 was developed along those ideas too, until the great success of Simscity (<-- sarcasm) that prompted them to change their wining recipe. There is enough in those rumors (and experiences from SC2013 and TS3) to seriously worry about TS4, whatever the amount of smoke EA blows around the game.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 12:35 PM
I'll wait for phreakindee's review before buying it. Maybe IGN and gamespot's too, to make a comparison.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 4:31 PM
The new fad among the execs is always on and multi-player. Rumors tend to show that TS4 was developed along those ideas too, until the great success of Simscity (<-- sarcasm) that prompted them to change their wining recipe.

If we are to believe what PK told us, then the multiplayer thing was ditched in 2012, so that is before SC fiasco. Multiplayer game + always online are two different things. They might have ditched the multiplayer in 2012, but what I think happened is that always online part wasn't re-though of until SimCity.

I'm going with the waiting crowd. I'm excited about the game (because I want to see what EA comes up with) even though I don't plan on getting it. At least not on day 1. I'll probably wait for you guys to take the plunge, see what reviewers say, watch LGR at least. And after that, I hope I can resist because I really like my current game and really excited about playing the hood I'm working on. But for sure, what I will do, is hard to say considering we know much to nothing about the game. 13 more days, then at least we will see a trailer.
Alchemist
#30 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
But for sure, what I will do, is hard to say considering we know much to nothing about the game. 13 more days, then at least we will see a trailer.

Why do I have a feeling the trailer is going to be disappointing. Maybe it's my pessimistic nature regarding EA, but I just have this feeling we're not going to learn much from it
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 5:32 PM
If the game is any good, I'll think about picking it up when the price decreases. Both of my computers kind of stink at the moment (Intel integrated that does still run pretty well, OR.. an overheating heap of junk that unfortunately is the only computer that has a proper graphics card), so if 4's good, it'll have to wait even longer.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 5:45 PM
Hide under the sofa...it maybe to scary for me (when the game is either to awful or stupid. Emerge and buy it, then start yelling at it when it does something.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
#33 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Why do I have a feeling the trailer is going to be disappointing. Maybe it's my pessimistic nature regarding EA, but I just have this feeling we're not going to learn much from it

I think it might look amazing and the dissapointment comes when we hear the details.
Alchemist
#34 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I think it might look amazing and the dissapointment comes when we hear the details.

That's assuming we get any real details with it. This crap with a picture of three sims and pics of the development team, they could have not bothered with. Yeah I know I sound annoyed as hell lol
Mad Poster
#35 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 10:39 PM
I can say this much, I am tired of EA releasing some slapped together crap that looks like an entry level intern may have created and charging premium prices in an EP, SP, or Store item. I can for sure state I am not buying Sims 4 unless something show stopping is in the game, right now I doubt that. I was a major fan but my simming soul has been dragged through the muck too much for me to have any faith in this series. We will see when they showcase the game and my decision may hinge on if there's another (oops) leak happens again.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 4:50 AM
This is so true! I wish I had resisted the usual tricky magic of their PR army. But Quigley's graphics were so shiny and I so much wanted to believe that one of my dream was actually coming true (a new Simcity 10 years after #4).

For TS4, EA has hardly revealed anything but the obvious: they're working on TS4 (no surprise), it will be released around 2014 (no surprise either) and finally they'll show it at Gamescom this month, although this took them some time to specify. Everything else in their announcement is "fluff and sparkle" but empty of any real meaning. They remain vague enough so that players can project what they want on those empty words. But EA doesn't give anything specific, so they don't commit themselves to anything either. Easy trick but we should really pay more attention to the exact wording of their announcements.

Whatever they say, I'm afraid they take the reboot road for TS4 too. In TS3 they proved they could seriously stray away from the main genre of the game, simulation. They forced RPG/quests/adventures and play pretend everywhere at the cost of a deep & rich simulation. They're welcome to include such features if and only if they enhance the core ones, like the wants/fears in TS2 (mini goals) could help defining a Sim's personality for instance. Then, you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: enrich your game and broaden the audience. But no, they took the narrow-minded path where EP's became mini-games and stopped expanding the game (you know, expanding as in expansion pack ). Play-pretend you're an explorer, a fire-fighter, a VIP, a singer, you run a horse ranch, live in an island paradise... Mini-games designed to entertain you for a limited amount of time until you're ready to buy the next crap (SP, store set, world). A great business model but a bad move for the franchise.

The new fad among the execs is always on and multi-player. Rumors tend to show that TS4 was developed along those ideas too, until the great success of Simscity (<-- sarcasm) that prompted them to change their wining recipe. There is enough in those rumors (and experiences from SC2013 and TS3) to seriously worry about TS4, whatever the amount of smoke EA blows around the game.

i think theres hope they wont do that, because they obviously wanted to reboot by not calling it sim city 5, and dunning the original title. if maxis however says, they are working on the sims 2016, i think were all in hot isht.

it amuses me that people think ea maxis developers are actually paying attention to these forums and give a fraction of a turd about our complaints

Scholar
#37 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 5:06 AM
Properly wait for many opinions here and amazon because I trust them the most than some shitty "gaming journalist" sites like IGN,gamespot,kotaku,Polygon,etc....Yep pretty much it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 5:50 AM
Sorry I was little bit excited what I said on my first top comment. If the game releases at Australia. I will take time to buy it when the Sims fans are reviewing it.
I will have a bad feeling TS4 games will sold out at EB Games when it releases on 2014. There are quite a lot of bad (Crazy) Sim fans coming around in Australia.

Well I guess you all correct guys. Watch the review first and then buy it if it's really good and fun.

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 1:12 PM Last edited by bellatrixclovis : 8th Aug 2013 at 1:12 PM. Reason: typed too fast
I've never seen the Sims games (or the EPs/SPs) sold out in retailers around my place. Does it really happen sometimes? I rather came to the conclusion that it's some kind of marketing trick to let the customers, especially *the fans*, believe they might not get their shoot of simming if they don't pre-order.

Oh yes, even before the rule #1 to watch read and players' reviews before buying, there is the rule #0: never pre-order! I know I should stick them on my fridge 'till 2014...
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 4:18 PM
I'm going to wait until reviews come for it. But I will probably end up buying it. I don't want a repeat situation where I scoff at the game because of my loyalty to the old one.
Alchemist
#41 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 4:42 PM
The majority of the people here say "I'll wait when..."

Yeah, I myself will wait too, until I have a decent enough computer to run TS4 and until it's moddable.

Just call me Nikel
Forum Resident
#42 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 5:36 PM
I'll pretty much just do this.

Kudaku lari gagah berani~
Scholar
#43 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 5:54 PM
I'm going to buy it and play it.

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrompas

LOL. That's just disturbing!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 6:34 PM
Wait until my Aunt buys it then go test out her copy. If it's acceptable, I'll buy my own copy while still having a hate to love/love to hate realationship with EA throughout the entire process.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jeffrompas

Dammit! You and your videos. WTF!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#46 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 12:09 PM
the same thing i do everyday, pinky.

try to take over the world.

Instructor
#47 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 9:21 PM
Not going to lie, I'll definitely be one of those people to pre-order and post my opinionated review for all of you who wants a good review!
Because at this point in time, anything is going to be better than the sims 3 and its glitchiness....seriously :/
Forum Resident
#48 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by msp_teen
Not going to lie, I'll definitely be one of those people to pre-order and post my opinionated review for all of you who wants a good review!

Good. We need people like you who will help people like us (maybe "us" - I'm not at all sure how long I'll wait to buy it) to help us make informed decisions. No matter what the promo looks like, or what EA says, a fan review is likely to give a fuller/more accurate picture. Plus we can all throw questions at you.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 11:34 PM
I'll update all my mods & CC for (hopefully) the last time and do what I can with said mods & CC to finally get the game to play the way I want it to (or as close as I can get). I have zero faith in EA and don't plan to buy TS4 for a long while, if ever.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 11:47 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 9th Aug 2013 at 11:58 PM.
I'll shrug and go back to playing Sims 1 and Sims 2. Maybe I'll try to work on the problem that persisted with Sims 3 that EA could never seem to help me with and get that game going, but probably not because who has time for that? Eventually, I'll check out the reviews. This time around, I may not care about a Sims game. I'm getting burned out on the product. Don't get me wrong, I am curious. In the past I've always been presold on most of the Sims games, but disappointment with The Sims 3 has changed that.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 2 of 4