Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:34 AM
Default IKEA Catalog
So after looking at the Sims 4 leaks, the IKEA catalog caught my eye. If done properly, I think that this could be better than the former Buy modes in past games. Imagine when you want to buy furniture there is like a catalog in your inventory, bookshelf, or maybe its delivered by the mailman/boy. There can even be an interaction like, "View catalog with..." When you interact with the catalog, you can see the different furniture options sorta like in past games. However, now, known brands will also have some pieces of furniture in there. Imagine if you could find your own in there.

The catalog can also have an add to cart option. When you are done there are then two ways to receive your furniture. The first option: There is instant delivery (slightly more expensive) for those who don't want to wait. The items will then be placed in the furniture inventory (new tab). Then you can click on the furniture and place them.

The second option: It would be a normal delivery (next day delivery, unless you order in the morning). After you select this option and click okay, a message will pop-up and tell you when (time and date) your order will arrive. When you close the message you will then notice that a new tab is open, and there you can see your furniture. When you click on the furniture, and move to place it, you will see that it is just a blueprint type placeholder, which place around your desired room. After you place all the placeholders, you click okay and then you are done.

The second option (con't):When the time for the delivery comes, a large truck will pull up by your house, and then some sims (number depends on furniture load. Also the sims aren't NPCs, but really townies)will get out of it. You will then receive a message that resemebles the TS3 job choice mesage, asking whether you will like the furniture fully installed (ready to use)which will cost slightly more or just to be placed with the wrapping intact, meaning your sim will have to do it after. When you choose what you want, the sims will start to unload the truck. They will bring in the furniture, and place them where their placeholders are. When they are done, you will pay them, and will have the option to give them tips based on how you are feeling .

This way there is an option for those who want more realistic methods in the game, and for those who just want to buy and place immediately. Comment on what you think, and add any improvements to my idea. 1 MORE DAY!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:16 PM
I really don't think it's that thought-through.. The furniture will just be displayed in a catalogue layout, I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to just plob them down right from the get go.

And I'm sorry but what you're describing sounds like way too much of a hassle, especially for the people that take building in sims seriously and who wants to build HUGE mansions and the like.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:37 PM
Can someone explain to me what IKEA actually means? I just googled it and found out that it's a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture, appliances, and home accessories?
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mera Benzema
Can someone explain to me what IKEA actually means? I just googled it and found out that it's a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture, appliances, and home accessories?

As a Swede I feel insulted that you haven't heard of our greatest export. Do you live in Africa?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:25 PM
IKEA ties with Disneyland for the happiest place on earth.

Basically, it's a furniture store that the average person can actually afford to shop at. You walk through the display area with a piece of paper and a pencil, gazing at BILLY bookcases and KLIPPAN sofas and note down the stuff you want, while grabbing a million smaller bits and pieces to pop in your trolley. Then at the end, you get to the warehouse bit, where you go and find your new furniture, almost all in flatpack, which you then wrestle into your car, take home and then put together using instructions featuring stick people. When you're finished, you're left with your new furniture, a marvellous feeling of accomplishment and twenty allen keys.

ETA: I have a feeling that in this context though, they just mean you can look in a catalogue and choose a whole room of stuff where everything has matching colours.
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
As a Swede I feel insulted that you haven't heard of our greatest export. Do you live in Africa?

As a human I feel insulted you used Africa like they don't know what IKEA is. No one is obligated to know everything, ya' know?

Going back to the topic, it would be cool if they used a deliver-to-home system where people would bring in the furniture and assembled it, but that's not going to happen. And if it would, you should be able to furnish everything first, somewhat like the system we have in Sims 3 with the blueprints. After you're done with the house, you get out of buy/build mode and everything dissapears and then comes the furniture.
Instructor
#7 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

Basically, it's a furniture store that the average person can actually afford to shop at. You walk through the display area with a piece of paper and a pencil, gazing at BILLY bookcases and KLIPPAN sofas and note down the stuff you want, while grabbing a million smaller bits and pieces to pop in your trolley. Then at the end, you get to the warehouse bit, where you go and find your new furniture, almost all in flatpack, which you then wrestle into your car, take home and then put together using instructions featuring stick people. When you're finished, you're left with your new furniture, a marvellous feeling of accomplishment and twenty allen keys.

And possibly left without a partner.

Because putting together IKEA furniture is the quickest way to a divorce.
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
As a human I feel insulted you used Africa like they don't know what IKEA is. No one is obligated to know everything, ya' know?

I used Africa cuz there are no IKEA stores there. That'd make sense.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:33 PM
That's for sure! I put together a fold out table using a screwdriver and about a hundred screws, only to have my husband walk in just as I finished. He took one look and said "why didn't you use the electric screwdriver?"

I would have if I knew where the heck he put it this time!!!!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

Basically, it's a furniture store that the average person can actually afford to shop at.

(Except if you live in Australia. That shipping is expensive!)

"Those who mind don't matter; and those that matter don't mind" - Dr Suess
Theorist
#11 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:59 PM
I want an IKEA stuff pack for Sims 4 AS SOON AS IT SHIPS. NO ACTUAL LIE IT'S MY MOST USED SIMS 2 PACK.

*Hugs BILLY*

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
I want an IKEA stuff pack for Sims 4 AS SOON AS IT SHIPS. NO ACTUAL LIE IT'S MY MOST USED SIMS 2 PACK.

*Hugs BILLY*

that was THE BEST STUFF PACK EVER. for me it even bet the H&M pack!
damn you swedes with your ikea and h&m.. it's good your language is so horrible otherwise i'd moved there in a second :P
Instructor
#13 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:38 PM
I love the Ikea stuff pack as well, it is one of the most versatile packs ever!

I do hope we get more useful packs for TS4 (no Katy Perry stuff, thanks).

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie

After the abomination of stuff packs in 3, they have no where to go but up. They struck gold with that Outdoor Kitchen.

2 wasn't all winners, either, but it has a lot more mileage than 3, for sure.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
As a Swede I feel insulted that you haven't heard of our greatest export.

If it weren't for IKEA, the Norwegians might have gotten over their inferiority complex by now, and been able to stop considering the Swedes as their 'older brother'. Because of IKEA, it's never going to happen.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy

*Hugs BILLY*

EA should just have an agreement with IKEA that every time a new catalogue comes out, they make a new SP.
Test Subject
#17 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie

They just needed to make a stuff pack quick... or Katy Perry payed them.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 5:41 PM
They paid Katy Perry too much and needed to get that stuff pack out, soon! I feel Showtime and Katy Perry Stuff Pack burned EA, hope they learned their lesson on that one. I still don't own it and I love my Sims games. Saw it on sale for $7 USD and still couldn't buy it, spent that money on bubble gum for my neices and nephews. (Bribery goods for good behavior)

Speaking of IKEA, best exercise and fulfillment of happy shopping ever. When I am in charge of keeping the little ones and I needed to get their energy levels down, take them to the "big building" and let them run around those 3 floors of fun will do it every time. Only problem is having to bring in the purchases and the kids too. They are normally sleep by the time we get home.

I would definitely love an IKEA pack in the base game for Sims 4, also some regular living furniture, I would enjoy a game of regular living that I can't always enjoy for more than a sim week in Sims 3.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#19 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
They paid Katy Perry too much and needed to get that stuff pack out, soon! I feel Showtime and Katy Perry Stuff Pack burned EA,

Both Sweet Treats and the Katy Perry version of Showtime have been retired, so they aren't making any more. If they needed more proof than that....
Instructor
#20 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:29 PM
When it comes to the specific "IKEA catalog" terminology, though: as someone who recently got an IKEA catalog, it's a small (dimension-wise, it's got a lot of pages) book with pages and pages and pages of pictures of the stuff they have on offer in a stylish way. If you've ever seen the show rooms they have, they basically take the pictures of those and put it in the book with information. How this could relate to TS4's buy mode, I'm not sure, as it's such a specific way to describe without necessarily talking about specifics that the TS4 buy mode could be about anything. I'd expect an expansion of the default, "sort by room" mode in TS3.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:35 PM
I think of this as another way to simplify game play, but it's insignificant. Decor is just another phase of playing for some simmers, but don't really encompass the whole game. I hope this catalog stuff doesn't take away from what make for something interesting and I fear is will. I read somewhere that this series will focus on storytelling and for me that is not what I play for, I just like playing in all areas of the game. Building, CAS, decorating, and game play.

I really hope I am wrong and can't wait for Thursday so I can get an idea what is in this game.

@ Butch, I do hope EA learned from that.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#22 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmotedLlama
When it comes to the specific "IKEA catalog" terminology, though: as someone who recently got an IKEA catalog, it's a small (dimension-wise, it's got a lot of pages) book with pages and pages and pages of pictures of the stuff they have on offer in a stylish way. If you've ever seen the show rooms they have, they basically take the pictures of those and put it in the book with information. How this could relate to TS4's buy mode, I'm not sure, as it's such a specific way to describe without necessarily talking about specifics that the TS4 buy mode could be about anything. I'd expect an expansion of the default, "sort by room" mode in TS3.

Maybe just rooms already furnished and ready to be plunked down as a whole? So you could put together a house in no time if you had many sets of fully furnished rooms to choose from. Then you could add/replace an item or two that you might want to change and tada! Sounds good to me.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:01 PM
look at how we have strayed....
Instructor
#24 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:39 PM
Since stuff packs were mentioned, I won't be surprised if they don't make them in this series. It's more likely that they'll distribute worlds, venues, sets, and Premium Content via the (future) Store.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
Since stuff packs were mentioned, I won't be surprised if they don't make them in this series. It's more likely that they'll distribute worlds, venues, sets, and Premium Content via the (future) Store.

to be honest i wouldn't mind, the stuffpacks come with such little content anyway that they barely make a difference. if they're going to do stuff packs they should contain as much content as the katy perry pack (granted that was quantity over quality but still) or else i just don't see the point anymore. at least with the store you can pick and choose objects or outfits if you don't like them all.
Page 1 of 2