Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 5:49 PM
I've gone to the dance hobby lot once, as part of a story where I wanted pictures of a Sim "teaching" another to dance. I tend to forget they exist, so it's not an active choice of not going. I just forget they exist and therefore don't use them. I'll be sure to check the others out next time I play
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 6:39 PM
I never really use the hobby lots. As they're not visible anywhere in the 'hood, and I tend to restrict my 'hoods so that a) everywhere that sims visit has to exist in the 'hood (for example, I build a "lecture hall" lot for my colleges/universities, so that I can imagine that that is where my YA's go when they "Go To Class") and b) all sims in the 'hood must have homes, with the exception of some NPC's (i.e. no townies), so my sims aren't allowed to visit hobby lots and I ignore their existence.

I've been thinking about completely changing the way I play hobbies, and OTH's. Instead of randomly choosing a sim's OTH, or picking one that seems to "fit" the sim, I may change it to whichever one best fits the sim's wants/fears/autonomous actions at the time. So basically whichever one they have the most enthusiasm points in, I guess? I would be able to "encourage" them to participate in particular hobbies, though - for example by ordering them to plant some tomatoes to feed themselves. But it would pretty much be up to them which hobby/hobbies they focussed on, and would change their OTH according to their own "decisions".

Hypothetical examples to show the differences between my current and proposed systems:

Current: I assume that Daniel Pleasant must be a keen sportsman, as he works in the Athletic career track. So I set his OTH to Sports and encourage him to engage in Sports-related activities at home, for example playing basketball and watching sport on TV.

Proposed: Despite working in the Athletic career track, whenever he has free time at home Daniel always gravitates towards the guitar, which he plays at least once a day. He has lots of Music & Dance enthusiasm because of this, even though he never shows much interest in other Music & Dance-related activities. So I set his OTH to Music & Dance, with my own sub-category of Likes Playing The Guitar. After a while he rolls a want to get a pet. When he goes to the pet shop he autonomously goes to look at the cat display stand, so he ends up buying a cat. In the days after returning home with his new pet he rolls lots of wants related to the cat - to be friends with it, to teach it tricks and to play with it. He spends lots of his free time interacting with the cat, and hardly ever plays the guitar. So I set his OTH to Nature, with my own sub-category of Animals - Cats. When he then rolls a want to adopt a puppy I change it to Nature: Animals - Cats & Dogs, and he adopts a puppy to join the family, and proves as fond of it as he is of the cat.

From reading everyone's posts it seems like some of you play somewhat like this, yes? Anyone got any thoughts on how this system might work in practice? Suggestions, comments etc are welcomed :-)
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 11:50 PM
I cannot customise them, they are full of NPCs and they do not fit into the time period my Sims is based in. Also most of the lots were not that unique enough to make especially want to use them in the first place.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Scholar
#29 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 12:05 AM
I never set a OTH. Whatever they randomly roll is fine, because it's not a mandatory thing after all!
For me it's the same as LTW: Sims may or may not realize what they are, and therefore may or may not try to go for it. In fact, I even see it clearer with OTH, because Sims don't "discover" what it is until they try it out.
For example, their OTH may be Music, but if they own no stereo nor instruments and they never give it a try they won't realize that it would fulfill them so much.
They may have a lot of fun enjoying other hobbies, even if they are not their OTH, so I think they're happy this way too

Anyway I usually let them choose what they want to do as a hobby, depending on the wants they roll. If a Sims with a Music OTH wants to stargaze, that's what they'll do.
I only really pay attention to LTW and OTH when their needs are green and their aspirations are platinum (ie. they're happy about their life in all senses).
Forum Resident
#30 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 2:12 AM
Hobbies aren't hobbies for me, they're significant interests and influence career choice. Sims who are into cooking or music will pursue them as careers. It's funny to have Mad Scientist sims come home and 'lose interest' in science, though.

Virtually all of my Sims have Nature, Cooking, and Arts and Crafts interest because (1) everyone has to garden (2) everyone has to cook and (3) most have to sew. That's what they get for living in a peak oil neighborhood, it's kinda like the 18th century is back.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can mod out those annoying hobby people so that you never have to see them unless you visit a hobby lot.

How? I am now officially sick and tired of them, they almost ruin the game.

I have the Visitor Controller and it has the option to ban people by hobby, but that affects everyone, not just these oddly dressed polite young people from out of town who are constantly advocating leisure time activities. It feels like my town has been invaded by a cult! and if I don't get help, some of these gearheads and film buffs might get hurt if they walk uninvited into the wrong household! Trespassing is against the law and homeowners have a right to self-defense if they are provoked or startled by intruders!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 11:07 AM
To keep the hobby leaders away there is 'nohobbyspam' which is from MATY, then there is 'no zone sound' from DJSims. http://forum.jfade.com/viewforum.php?f=51 Somewhere in there. The noise drove me crazy until I found that mod, especially with nature sims -try having that sound turn off and on as sims tend to every single plant on a farm full of plants!!!
If you mean the new social townies you can stop them moving into apartments with Nysha's ' no townie neighbours' https://www.modthesims.info/d/511564. In a regular hood you can't stop them as walkbys except by setting the visitor controller. They walkbys/apartment dwellers are townies, so you would have to ban townies if you didn't want to see them at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 4:46 PM
To keep the hobby leaders away there is 'nohobbyspam' which is from MATY, then there is 'no zone sound' from DJSims. http://forum.jfade.com/viewforum.php?f=51 Somewhere in there. The noise drove me crazy until I found that mod, especially with nature sims -try having that sound turn off and on as sims tend to every single plant on a farm full of plants!!!
If you mean the new social townies you can stop them moving into apartments with Nysha's ' no townie neighbours' http://www.modthesims.info/d/511564. In a regular hood you can't stop them as walkbys except by setting the visitor controller. They walkbys/apartment dwellers are townies, so you would have to ban townies if you didn't want to see them at all.

Thanks! I do have the 'nohobbyspam' so I think the actual walking into the house and idiotic phone calls have stopped and the zone sound doesnt bother me as either my Sims are never in the zone or I have it disabled or some of the FX much lower than others somehow, as I never hear it. I dont mind the Apartment townies so much because they actually live in the apartments and are therefore genuine neighbors. I try and fill my apartments with Playables anyway, and I have a mod that uses normal Townies as Apartment neighbors first, so those Townies that have been around forever are almost like Playables anyway.

No what's driving me crazy is that even though I have "localwalkby" from MATY (final version) it seems more than half my walkbys are from these hateful hobby people. They dont live in this town so it is very unpleasant to have them wandering around so much that my Sims dont get to see their regular neighbors, anymore only these obnoxious folks. I guess I will just have to ban all townies and downtownies? It seems extreme
Mad Poster
#34 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 5:06 PM
Also, if you have the no smartmilk glow mod, that also kills the in the zone glow. No more radioactive sims in pictures!

Sonyablue, you might try rearranging your mod load order. I have nohobbyspam and localwalkby and they don't walkby. I also have a more walkbys mod.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#35 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 6:00 AM
It may be kind of obvious, but for the pre-FT premades, I assign their OTH through the batbox: for instance, Darren's is arts & craft, obviously, Jennifer Burb's is Sports while the Shifting Paradymes is Music. Not all pre-mades have an obvious OTH, in which case I let the game decide.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Also, if you have the no smartmilk glow mod, that also kills the in the zone glow. No more radioactive sims in pictures!

Sonyablue, you might try rearranging your mod load order. I have nohobbyspam and localwalkby and they don't walkby. I also have a more walkbys mod.

odd, I have the no smart milk glow and that never affected the in the zone glow.

What other walkbys apart from townies are there? You get hobby lot leaders as walkbys?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee

Thanks! That seems to be working. I made a new dir called _1sthacks in downlaods and put those two in there - not a loathsome hobby cultist in sight after two hours of playing!
Mad Poster
#38 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 10:51 PM
Jo, I get all the people who live in that subhood. So I get Strangetownies in Strangetown, Widespoties in Widespot, Desideratans in Desiderata . . . this matters to me because I play megahood. I don't want, say, John Mole strolling around Pleasantview. I want Dan Pleasant. It's too far for John to walk to Pleasantview.
Now if I only had a similar mod for community lots . . . I like everyone to show up downtown but I'd really rather meet the folks who live there in the other neighborhoods.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#39 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 2:41 AM
Maybe that's a thing with megahoods as I've never seen it. I mostly play my own custom hood.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#40 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 2:51 AM
Maybe that's a thing with megahoods as I've never seen it. I mostly play my own custom hood.

Yeah. You only get sims from subhoods strolling around if you have subhoods.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:06 AM
I have sub hoods like uni, Blue water and Downtown connected to my custom hood. Normally all I see are playables or townies. I only see downtownies if they are given as a date drop or if they come home from work. I don't get what other hobby people there are apart from the leaders of the hobby lots though. If I visit a hobby lot I tend to get a few playables and townies with the occasional witch, uni student or Proff.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#42 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 7:15 PM
Jo, you don't see your Bluewater playables strolling around your custom main hood? That's what the localwalkbys stops.

Page 2 of 2