Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 10:37 PM
I have an ATI 9600 256mb (Rosewill card from Newegg, about $89). And I have a gig of memory and Athlon64 3000+ processor.

I can run licketysplit at highest settings almost everywhere. (the big dorm lot can get a little choppy).

I think what you need to do is get more RAM. Get a gig of ram. This game is a memory hog. If you can't afford to change everything, then just do that. Add more memory.

Also, the game will run faster in difficult sitautions if you run with the walls down. This was also true in Sims 1. For some reason, rendering walls puts a lot of stress on the Sims graphics engine.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 1:57 AM
How do you find out what processor you have? Because I cannot find the manual for my computer. Can I find this out somewhere on the computer? Oh, and I still need to know, what is an AGP driver?
Faster kill pussycat
#28 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 12:23 AM
Ok... Go to start. RIGHT click on my computer. then go to
properties in the box that pops up it will tell you all the stats on you PC. Ram speed etc....
Nova
Faster kill pussycat
#29 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by icu2richelo
What is an AGP driver?

I think what they mean is that you need to go to your vid cards web page and download the newest APG driver. I am not sur etho you might have to just call tech support
nova

Now I'm not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions. Try walking in my shoes. You'll stumble in my footsteps.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 2:35 AM
Okay, well I'll try that. We still haven't taken that video card back, and I have yet to get the right one. I'll get on it soon.
Test Subject
#31 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 2:45 AM
You might also try the omega drivers. I am running an ati 9200se using the omega drivers and the game runs fine. I use radlink which is included in the download. You can get the drivers here: http://www.omegadrivers.net
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by icu2richelo
...However, I think the problem may be that I don't have an AGP Driver.

What you probably need are 2 DRIVERS:
#1 The appropriate video card driver (usually from the web page of the card producer)
#2 the appropriate chipset driver (depends on the chipset on your mainboard)
That's probably what was referred to as AGP Driver
I recall you saying you had a Gateway comp which came with Win98
I bet you ant money that you either have no AGP port or only a 1x AGP Port and a 240W Power supply
in that case forget about buying any new cards. what you need is a new mainboard with a decent processor and an 8x AGP Port (not to forget a 350W power supply) THEN you can put in any high end card and get the desired results.

Quote:
By the way, what is a Saphire? Is it another brand? And, I don't know how to determine my driver or whatever... Is it 4X 8X?

Saphire is just another company that produces graphic cards with well known chip sets
4x, 8x is the speed of cerain AGP slots compared to the original (old, short) AGP port which is referred to as 1x
Basically like it's been done with CD-ROMs etc.

-le
Page 2 of 2