Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 6:50 PM
I think this sounds really fun and I was wondering if anyone would want to share their first apartment? I'm kind of building-challenged..
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hstuff112
I think this sounds really fun and I was wondering if anyone would want to share their first apartment? I'm kind of building-challenged..

You could do what I did, and just stick down some blueprints from blueprint mode. I believe it came with patch 1.42?
Instructor
#53 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ihaveanawsomebro
Anyway guys, if anyone posts screen shots that would be cool. I can't figure out how to so no pictures from me unfortuanly. Anyway, happy simming!

There's two ways to post pictures. The first way is to have them in the body of the post. Just upload the images you want to an image sharing site (I use photobucket), then go into advanced mode of the post, and you'll see picture of a photo along the toolbar. Click it, enter the URL of the photo into the box that comes up, and that's it.
The other way is to have them at the end of you post, as attachments. Go into advanced mode for the post, and scroll down. You'll see large text that says 'Manage Attachments', and then under that 'Image Upload'. From there you can upload them directly from your computer, without having to use an image sharing site.
Test Subject
#54 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 7:47 PM
This is awesome :D
Mad Poster
#55 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 9:10 PM
How have you guys been discarding shitty furniture in the junk yard? I've just been replacing and deleting them, and was wondering if anyone else had any better ideas.
Instructor
#56 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
How have you guys been discarding shitty furniture in the junk yard? I've just been replacing and deleting them, and was wondering if anyone else had any better ideas.

The entire time I was in the junkyard, nothing spawned. The second I left, furniture popped up.
So, I'm no help on this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#57 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 10:17 PM
I collected them (salvaged) and at some point, I'm going to put everything in the new apartment and call the repairman to fix them.
Test Subject
#58 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 10:26 PM
Also what's a multi tab? I'm starting my family!
Field Researcher
#59 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hstuff112
Also what's a multi tab? I'm starting my family!

A store item that allows you to learn 2 skills at once
Instructor
#60 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 12:12 AM
Are we allowed to use tents?
Instructor
#61 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TrillianRikku
Are we allowed to use tents?

I believe so, but I'd wait for Misty for a final answer.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 1:45 AM
I always wanted the motivation to stuff too many sims into a small highrise apartment, so there's something accomplished.

Jeannine, her teen son, three kids, toddler and burrito. I kept the youngest a baby just because it occupies less space.

A few things have gone awry. For some reason, tending bar stopped paying; "Jeannine has made $104 mixing drinks," only she hadn't. I stopped sending her because $11-15 in tips a night wasn't worth it, since the teen was usually out pretty late, too, vandalising the neighborhood. Got fined a few times for that, but I was the one who chose the street art kit for his leisure item, so I really can't bitch.

"Isn't it about time you move out of that East Village hellhole, the one with the Honeymooners view of the brick wall out the window, because you deserve something more life-affirming like a tree, or a flower, or a patch of grass, or a singing little bluebird..."

Tomorrow, I promise. I only have 11 sim days left, and I'm not sure it's going to happen unless I break down and buy multitabs. Mixology was the godawfullest skill ever to max.

( http://youtu.be/gB_c4uni6Xg was the source of that stuff in quotes. Dates me a bit, but what the hell.)
Mad Poster
#63 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
The entire time I was in the junkyard, nothing spawned. The second I left, furniture popped up.
So, I'm no help on this.

I've actually converted the junkyard into a residential lot, and moved my Sims in there. I'll turn it back into an actual junkyard when they meet the requirements to leave. So in spite of that, not only did furniture spawn, a motherfucking crib spawned!

As I'm playing with a premade family that fits this challenge perfectly, including two children and two toddlers, that was very useful. The toddlers take it in turns to sleep in the crib at night now.

Also thanks for the heads up Misty! Replacing all the broken shit while living in the freakin' junkyard was expensive as fuck.

Also the first time my Sim went dumpster diving, she found an exercise machine. So that left her temporarily flush.

EDIT:
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
--INTRO—
2. Pets are not available at challenge start (unless you want to say they took the family dog but it would almost be impossible to place dog food bowls, etc. on pubic lots and you cannot edit them to include special items. I would recommend adopting a pet after you get your first apartment or house.

...FUCK
Instructor
#64 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 1:54 AM
Just realised I never posted pictures.
Screenshots
Instructor
#65 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 2:31 AM
EDIT:

...FUCK

Oh gosh, what did you do now?
Field Researcher
#66 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 2:45 AM
I've actually converted the junkyard into a residential lot, and moved my Sims in there.

I'll do this if I make a second attempt at this challenge. The little kids kept going back to the home lot if I had Jeannine elsewhere after 10 at night, even though there wasn't anything there to go back to, and I couldn't cancel it.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 5:18 AM
I've started a second save of this with a different family so I can run the risk of having more pregnancies, and as there's actually a teen, I can have the mother do things without OMG BABYSITTER GET ONE GET ONE GET ONE messages nagging the crap out of me.

Mistress: I edited the junkyard to put down a toilet and some chairs. I figured it was against the quoted rule, and of course I've now just discovered that the junkyard in Twinbrook has all the stuff needed without it having to be edited.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 6:30 AM
Wow you guys are busy on here tonight! I will try to address everything...hope I don't forget something.

Tents: I'm actually not in favor of using tents. The concept of the challenge is to rough it using the environment provided by whatever town you chose. I'm not saying you can't. I considered using them in my own test play of the challenge and opted not to because it seemed to diminish the point of being in a sleeping bag on the junkyard office floor.

Curfew: I had a similar problem (more so with the child than teen). If I got them in bed before 10, I was usually fine. There were a few ocasions where I had to have him sleep on the old lot in his sleeping bag. This is where the mod to remove the curfew would really come in handy.

Love the screenshots!

As far as editing lots, if you refer back to the rules I said the junkyard should have toilets but not a shower, etc. My family was based in Twinbrook which I highly recommend if you have it. The fire department especially was NICE. It had a fire pit outside as well as the outdoor grill. There were two junkyards there as well. If you started in a town that did not have a bathroom in the junkyard, its OK to add a toilet but no shower. What I didn't want people adding was things like cribs (they had to spawn on their own or go without which is what I did) or other household "niceties" that would not be in a junkyard.
Instructor
#69 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
As far as editing lots, if you refer back to the rules I said the junkyard should have toilets but not a shower, etc. My family was based in Twinbrook which I highly recommend if you have it. The fire department especially was NICE. It had a fire pit outside as well as the outdoor grill. There were two junkyards there as well. If you started in a town that did not have a bathroom in the junkyard, its OK to add a toilet but no shower. What I didn't want people adding was things like cribs (they had to spawn on their own or go without which is what I did) or other household "niceties" that would not be in a junkyard.

Okay, good. I started out in Appaloosa Plains.. I don't play Twinbrook much, so of course I wouldn't remember something like that. I just added a table, four chairs, a stall and a sink, so I think I'm clean.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 6:01 PM
If the rules allow it, I'd recommend loading up Twinbrook just to save the junkyard and fire station to your library so you can replace those lots in your save. Saves farting around adding things like toilets and fridges, at least in Grady's Junkshop in other towns.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 7:26 PM
Day 60 reached, with about 40K in savings.

Kids all had A's in school, which was a small miracle for the teen; constant suspension took the place of pregnancy in the later random rolls. Also, they all missed school for the entire damn winter.

The only condition I didn't meet was that the youngest of the three children didn't max out two skills...he had 10 fishing, and was less than half a point from maxing logic on midnight of day 60. I'll give myself a pass on that because

1. The woman had 3 extra kids.
2. No multitabs.
3. I'm sort of an asshole. Which is to say, before I loaded up my game to finish the challenge this morning, I was looking at the list of NRaas mods, and somehow decided that today was a good day to try Vector. Consequently all seven sims got Llama pox for Christmas.
Instructor
#72 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
Day 60 reached, with about 40K in savings.

Kids all had A's in school, which was a small miracle for the teen; constant suspension took the place of pregnancy in the later random rolls. Also, they all missed school for the entire damn winter.

The only condition I didn't meet was that the youngest of the three children didn't max out two skills...he had 10 fishing, and was less than half a point from maxing logic on midnight of day 60. I'll give myself a pass on that because

1. The woman had 3 extra kids.
2. No multitabs.
3. I'm sort of an asshole. Which is to say, before I loaded up my game to finish the challenge this morning, I was looking at the list of NRaas mods, and somehow decided that today was a good day to try Vector. Consequently all seven sims got Llama pox for Christmas.

You're already done?
*quietly rushes off to finish second*
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 7:56 PM
I've started a second save of this with a different family so I can run the risk of having more pregnancies, and as there's actually a teen, I can have the mother do things without OMG BABYSITTER GET ONE GET ONE GET ONE messages nagging the crap out of me.

Mistress: I edited the junkyard to put down a toilet and some chairs. I figured it was against the quoted rule, and of course I've now just discovered that the junkyard in Twinbrook has all the stuff needed without it having to be edited.

Don't worry, I get the babysitter thing all the time during this challenge. What makes it worse, there is normally the teen or the adult on the lot, which makes me want to throw my laptop out of the window.
Field Researcher
#74 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
You're already done?
*quietly rushes off to finish second*

Yeah, between the weather, illness and my parents nicking my car to drive off to Maryland every few weekends this winter, I've had a LOT of time on my hands for simming for the past few months. And Misty's challenges make hours pass before I know it.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 8:09 PM
(Sorry for double post once again) Anyway, I'm now onto my cheap apartment. In the basement there is a place for washing, a kitchen cooking area, and a few public toilets. In each apartment their is a living room, one toilet and a bedroom. I gave my family the largest 'living room' because there wasn't any room in the bedroom for two cribs (for baby Bryon and still toddler Emma) and all of the toys for Alice, Emma and Bryon(once I age him up). It's winter but Alice still wears shorts; I respect her for that. Jack is now terrified because Bryon also now has a 'special toy' which watches Jack as he cares for Bryon. On Saturday I'm going to troop Melissa off to the toad stool and force Jack to play for tips with Bryon and Emma sitting next to him. Imagine that...

Jack: *Plays music*
Person: Why are there two small children next to you on a dirty street?
Jack: Oh, my mum is busy sleeping because she works from 11pm to 3am in a rundown bar where men try to look down her top :D
Person: 0_0
Page 3 of 5