Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 3:47 PM
I would like to point out that creating a stereotype of Jews is going to be a lot more offensive in the game than in the show. The show is satire; the game is not. Context is king.

Also, I'm a little confused, since you want your game realistic enough to include perverts and bigots, but also want a clearly over the top caricature.
Advertisement
Space Pony
Original Poster
#27 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
I would like to point out that creating a stereotype of Jews is going to be a lot more offensive in the game than in the show. The show is satire; the game is not. Context is king.

And yet we have people who make LifeSIMs so they can virtually kill people they know IRL:

Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
i will admit that i have based sims' names off of real life persons' names, but i only make sims based off of people if i plan to kill em :*

Is that not satirical in a way?
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:05 PM
There's a difference between a satire and a joke.
Scholar
#29 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:20 PM
So did I. Which traits did you use?

Actually, only a small part of furry culture is interested in that. The vast majority are people who just like the concept, draw humanoid animals for fun, etc.

Not sure how that would work as a sims trait, though. You get a positive moodlet whenever the animals glitch?

I can't remember which traits I used. I made her back when TS3 came out. I think she's still up on the Exchange if you want to try to find her.

As for furries, I know not all of them are furverts. I knew quite a few furries who just like the whole anthro character/wearing cat ears in a tail thing as an innocent hobby and find the sexual aspect absolutely disgusting. I just know that if someone makes a furry trait, they’ll automatically change “woohoo” to “yiff” because of how furries are seen on the internet.

As for the whole "Jew" thing, yeah, let's not. CRV13, I know there's a huge culture gap between you and most of us, but something you have to realize is, using someone's faith and stereotypes associated with said faith is very reckless and offensive. As it was pointed out, South Park is satire, The Sims is not. Using a set few highly offensive stereotypes to describe a group of people is just downright wrong, no matter what group it is. That's like making a 'Muslim' trait and making it so that everyone who has this trait loves to blow shit up. Fuck. No.

On a related note, someone should totally make a 'Loves To Blow Shit Up' trait. Perfect for the psycho Sim in your life.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 4:49 PM
I found three Enobys and one Ebony. I also found a completely orange sim named "Ebony Peach". That's just weird.
I gave her Dramatic, Diva, Social Butterfly, and Evil. (She was a teen)

The "Blows Shit Up" trait could actually work. Just make the detonate ability available at all times, for no charge, and make it autonomous.

Does it count if we want to see an expansion of a pre-existing trait? The current Evil trait is kind of tame. You steal from babies (and why does a baby have a lollypop bigger than its body, anyway?), get a good moodlet when sims suffer, and donate to undermine charities for fish kids. You mastermind plots, but you never actually carry them out. It's kind of boring.
Scholar
#31 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 5:11 PM
This is my Ebony . Despite the fact that I think I didn't even use the damn facial sliders, she still has 14 recommendation. Omg. I'm putting serious thought into recreating her as a young adult.

The Evil trait had so much potential that they squandered on basically making everyone who has it just a cartoony silent film villain. Stealing candy from a baby is a douchebag move. Blowing up your dirt poor neighbor's car is downright evil.

Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 5:37 PM
It actually kind of works. If any character had a pudding face, it would be Enoby.

Other evil things to do:
Wreck relationships (self-explanatory)
Kill hope (Gives another sim a despairing moodlet and makes them cry when idling)
Corrupt children (with a high enough relationship, make it 25% more likely that a child will get the evil trait, if they're not already good.)
Blackmail (gets you extra money)

Also, the mean-spirited trait should give you the option to throw trash on other sims' floors.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 5:46 PM
Is nobody even going to mention the fact that this Kyle trait idea packs way too much into one trait? The idea is that a Sim's personality is the sum of all the traits they have, rather than one trait that gives them character and 4 others for fucking decoration.
Scholar
#34 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 6:51 PM
It actually kind of works. If any character had a pudding face, it would be Enoby.

Tara Gilesbie did say Enoby looks like Amy Lee, who actually really pretty at one point in her life (although it's been years since I gave a shit about or even listened to Evanescence, so for all I know, she probably is one huge pudding pack now.) Now I REALLY want to try remaking Enoby. :3

Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 7:15 PM
Yeah, but I think an undefined pudding face suits her more than the description. Also, I consider it non-canon whenever someone compares their character to a celebrity.
Scholar
#36 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 7:21 PM
Ah, I see. Still, I want to make her how Tara saw her in her head. Basically I just want to make a super slutty "goff" chick just to see how far I can take it.

Forum Resident
#37 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 9:21 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 22nd Apr 2014 at 9:33 PM.

Also, I'm a little confused, since you want your game realistic enough to include perverts and bigots, but also want a clearly over the top caricature.

While I am not supporting the idea of a "Jew Trait", The Sims is satire... At least the first one is... It's a satire of everyday life, poking fun at, and exaggerating our own levels of everyday human stupidity...

I mean, there is a reason for the countless seemingly obvious warnings on everyday things, like "Do not submerge in liquid" on a hair drier... We are simultaneously the smartest, and most stupid animal on this planet....

But since that satire has little to do with religion, a "Jew Trait" would come off as blatant offensive prejudice...
Scholar
#38 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 9:54 PM
You know, I just realized, rather than custom traits, I'd really love a way to break the 5 trait limit. Is there a mod for that?

Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
While I am not supporting the idea of a "Jew Trait", The Sims is satire...

But it's not satirizing anti-Semitism. So, it supplies no context that would make an anti-Semitic joke anything else than an anti-Semitic joke.

People who do humor for a living know that
Context is king.
That's why Steven Colbert didn't act particularly surprised when, a couple of weeks ago, a racist quote taken out-of-context from his satirical monologue resulted in him being pilloried on the Net. The error wasn't in his monologue, nor in the Asian activist's reaction to the out-of-context tweet. The error was in tweeting a line that was prima facie offensive and expecting people to magically not be offended. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
You know, I just realized, rather than custom traits, I'd really love a way to break the 5 trait limit. Is there a mod for that?

Found one, though I don't know if it'll work on the new patches.
Scholar
#41 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 10:16 PM
Thanks Hug. I'll have to try it out. :D

Mad Poster
#42 Old 23rd Apr 2014 at 2:10 AM
If you have Uni you can get a sixth trait when you attain a certain level in any of the three social groups. If you have Master Controller, you can add any trait you want, providing they don't conflict, by clicking on the Sim in question and going NRAAS > Master Controller > Advanced > Traits > Change.

As for the whole South Park debacle, I love it and I am completely immature, just to shit all over OP's "people who are offended by it don't have the maturity to understand it" comment.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 23rd Apr 2014 at 9:22 PM
Another thing: I don't like some of the conflicting traits. For instance, Good and Evil. Good sims like helping and cheering up others. Evil sims like watching other sims suffer. Those don't necessarily conflict: you could want to help someone, but still feel some schadenfreude about it. Or they could cheer up the people they like and laugh at the people they don't.
Scholar
#44 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 3:40 PM
I'm honestly surprised traits wasn't one of the first things modders tackled when the game came out. They can get pretty fucking annoying depending on the traits you choose. Like my coward sim fainting every time she sees Bonehilda. Bitch, after the first two encounters you should be used to it. Get over it. Jeez.

Mad Poster
#45 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 5:20 PM
Another thing: I don't like some of the conflicting traits. For instance, Good and Evil. Good sims like helping and cheering up others. Evil sims like watching other sims suffer. Those don't necessarily conflict: you could want to help someone, but still feel some schadenfreude about it. Or they could cheer up the people they like and laugh at the people they don't.

Grumpy and hot headed. Surely I'm not the only one who finds it odd that those two conflict?
Theorist
#46 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 3:46 PM
I'd love custom traits, but I'm not really interested if they don't give new animations and interactions. I never use the ones that just improves a skill/job performance building rate or something boring like that. If they don't have new animations and interactions, I wouldn't use 'em. Here's one I thought of awhile back.

Creepy
  • Your sim will be able to quietly watch another sim sleep (rather than just admitting to it).
  • Your sim has a "Stare At" interaction where the sim will sit quietly and stare at another sim for long periods of time.
  • Your sim can stalk another sim, following them from a distance.
  • Your sim can receive a positive moodlet for approaching another sim from behind and smelling their hair.
  • Your sim can "Rummage for personal items" in another sim's trash can and keep them as trophies.
  • Your sim can break into another sim's house and there will be a "Smell Underwear" interaction on the dresser, giving that sim a positive moodlet.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#47 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 3:54 PM
Omg Gnat, that is perfect.

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 4:29 PM
Fabulous should be a trait...
Forum Resident
#49 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 10:16 PM
The Diva trait from Showtime is pretty fabulous, I have to say. Combine that with Dramatic from Ambitions, and you're 2/3 of the way to a reality TV show.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Forum Resident
#50 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
But it's not satirizing anti-Semitism. So, it supplies no context that would make an anti-Semitic joke anything else than an anti-Semitic joke.

If you read my whole post, you would know that was my point....

Also,
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Creepy
  • Your sim will be able to quietly watch another sim sleep (rather than just admitting to it).
  • Your sim has a "Stare At" interaction where the sim will sit quietly and stare at another sim for long periods of time.
  • Your sim can stalk another sim, following them from a distance.
  • Your sim can receive a positive moodlet for approaching another sim from behind and smelling their hair.
  • Your sim can "Rummage for personal items" in another sim's trash can and keep them as trophies.
  • Your sim can break into another sim's house and there will be a "Smell Underwear" interaction on the dresser, giving that sim a positive moodlet.

You ever found something that you didn't know you desperately wanted until someone says something about it? Yeah... This needs to be made right now!
Page 2 of 3