Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 19th May 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
The problem with Russia is that the government is encouraging and supporting the extremists. Lets not forget that about a year ago, a 14 yearold boy was kidnapped, tortured and murdered for supposedly being gay, and the police didn't even bother to investigate, because who cares what happens to a poofter? Homophobes are allowed to assault and kill people they think might be gay or not cisgender; the police don't care and are often complicit; and the government has passed legislation making it a criminal offence to even tell under 18s that gay people exist, or to do anything in a public place which acknowledges the fact that there are same sex couples, because doing so would corrupt children and turn them gay.

I would much much rather live in a place where I'm not allowed to marry, than in one where I risk assault or imprisonment for going out in public with my girlfriend, or for allowing any rumours to start that I have one, or would like to have one.

Luckily, I live in a country where neither of those things is true. But really... I know that rating TS4 as 18+ is one of the more farcical elements of the Russian government's current campaign of hate and violence (along with the Sochi police claiming that there are no gay people in Sochi, and everyone in the gay bars is an undercover police officer on the lookout for any real gay people to arrest), but it's nowhere near the most serious or insane element.

except unfortunately in the US there is tacit government support of homophobia. "gay-panic" has been used as an acceptable defense for avoiding prison time for killing someone for being gay. Cece McDonald was attacked in the street for being transgender and went to prison for defending herself. The U.S. may be marginally better, but it isn't better enough.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 19th May 2014 at 7:31 AM
Ahh... it's good to live in the Netherlands. We've been doing pretty well with LGBT rights overall. Yep, that's right: I'm not contributing to this discussion at all, just casually reminding everyone we've had same-sex marriage since 2001.

I'll be up on the moral high-ground if anyone needs me.

↖ the one emotion TS4 better have
Page 2 of 2