Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 8:32 AM
Default Loading Screen is back!!
yeah you heard that loading screen is back, it's so kind of annoying when you start your game and more of loading is upon to you. It seems that TS1 and TS2 loading stuff is back. Unlike on TS3 when you are loading your neighborhood and visiting another sub-neighborhoods or enrolling into university that 's the only loading screen will popup to your screen.

Here's what i'm trying to say:

-Courtesy of Honeywell Sims 4 News
Screenshots

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 8:34 AM
Loading times are not the same as loading screens.

↖ the one emotion TS4 better have
Test Subject
#3 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 8:35 AM
Disable DEP.
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 8:44 AM
WHY people are excited about this?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 9:10 AM
Because it'll be less of a strain on computers because the game won't be trying to simulate every single character in the world at once, and because it means community lots are less likely to be dead.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 9:26 AM
I was hoping this will not happen, although I liked Sims 2 very much and was a great game, I don't want to go back to land locked lot to lot loading. I really hope the loading with be each district with enough open areas to visit at once.

I don't think I could enjoy it otherwise. :/

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by summerstruck
Loading times are not the same as loading screens.

what's the different they are the same loading thing. :P

Download Policy
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrDensilter
what's the different they are the same loading thing. :P

No, they're not. Loading time means: it takes time to load. Like in TS3 sometmes the textures would not be loaded when you visited a lot, and all the objects would be grey for a while.
Loading screen means: there's a screen stopping you from seeing the meshes, textures and what not else from loading, by plastering a screen on your monitor so you don't see anything.

↖ the one emotion TS4 better have
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by summerstruck
No, they're not. Loading time means: it takes time to load. Like in TS3 sometmes the textures would not be loaded when you visited a lot, and all the objects would be grey for a while.
Loading screen means: there's a screen stopping you from seeing the meshes, textures and what not else from loading, by plastering a screen on your monitor so you don't see anything.

oh.. I see the grey thing... it looked like that your whole objects would be grey like in Ts3 so I misunderstood the loading thing >_<

Download Policy
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
Theorist
#10 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 3:36 PM
This is not necessarily bad. With TS3, everything got cached into memory, and that caused huge lag, even on fairly powerful machines. Worst than that, when the game starts hogging over 2.5GB or so of RAM, it can become very unstable and increase risk of crash-to-desktop or errors during saving.

Having to load some things during the game implies that unnecessary data is unloaded, which means the game likely uses less resources and that may be a worthwhile compromise when it comes to performance and stability. I think it's too soon to worry about until we see how it's implemented. Most games do have loading times, often when you move from one area to another. In modern games, they're usually very reasonable, being just a few seconds. I've even seen in some games where the loading is so innocuous that character movement and gameplay can still continue while it's happening.

Now, if it turns out the loading times are measured in minutes and interrupts gameplay (like TS2), then that's cause for concern.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 3:44 PM
Shush, enough with this text EA! I WANT TO SEE HOW IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 4:07 PM
It could be bad and good. Apparently, it goes by which zone you are in. I hope they release a video of how it works.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 4:25 PM
This is disheartening. Maybe the zones simsVIP mentioned will be fairly large? If not, I'll have to pass on the game, loading made me absolutely despise ts2. I could deal with it in 3 only because there was only the one to get into the world if you didn't vacation. The times were about the same between the two games, you could end up with a lot more in 2 though. It irritated me for some reason.

To each their own, I'm glad some people see this as a good thing.
Scholar
#14 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 4:07 PM Last edited by mithrak_nl : 12th Jun 2014 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Dictionary told me to
I never liked the loading screens for neighbourhood lots in TS2. They were too long and it was also annoying how you could just miss a sim leaving that lot. For these reasons I barely visited them.

On the other hand, if they put them in TS4 because the neighbourhood will be much bigger, then for me it depends on how long the loading times are. It could be a good thing then to keep performance high. But if they are long, then I probably end up cramming every possible building in the part of town that my sims live in, just so I can mainly avoid loading screens. That is, if I buy TS4 at all :/
Test Subject
#15 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 5:07 PM
It depends on what exactly "loading time" entails, but I'm not very optimistic when the entire quote acknowledges that players may want to skip experiencing a feature due to loading time. The Sims is the only game I've deliberately not used features just to avoid load time. Developers acknowledging that as an option is troubling to me. Their attitude should be, "Oh no! Players aren't using this feature we put all this work into because it's too slow to load. We should improve that!"
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 5:10 PM
I don't know enough to judge this yet.

What I do want to know is the range of motion the camera has...how low to the ground can it get? How close can I zoom in on people and objects? How far up into the sky can I look? I like to have a full range, smooth moving, camera. If I am in a zone, does it feel limited?

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Eminence Grise
#17 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 1:40 AM
It's not the same as TS2. The neighborhood is broken into zones, with maybe 10 residential and some community lots, and there are loading screens (not loading times... SCREENS) between zones. But the world is open WITHIN a zone. So your sim can still walk out of the house and visit a neighbor or go to the park without seeing a loading screen. Not like TS2; more like your average zoned RPG or FPS. (Basing that on the info from yesterday in SImsVIP's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/SimsVIP . She promises a writeup of her interview tonight with more info on this.)

And theoretically at least this is what allows them to do a much more active neighborhood in TS4, with a much deeper AI simulation. Where story progression is stuff that really happens to the non-active sims (and can be witnessed if you're in the right place), unlike in an unmodded TS3 game.

Theoretically, again, this also means that neighborhoods can be expanded to add new EP features, rather than focusing them all in new worlds with only a clumsy pass at integrating them into existing neighborhoods.

So even though in general I'm a fan of large open worlds, if this means the world can be more alive without a massive performance hit, I'm in favor.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Because it'll be less of a strain on computers because the game won't be trying to simulate every single character in the world at once, and because it means community lots are less likely to be dead.
This. Even if I wanted to play TS3 (which I don't, for numerous reasons) I wouldn't because the open world would probably blow up my computer (which can barely run TS2)! That aside, apparently I'm the only one here who doesn't mind loading screens. My computer takes about two minutes tops to load the various lots in TS2 (and I have every EP, every SP, AND a ridiculous amount of CC!), and I find that more than reasonable.
Scholar
#19 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 12:58 AM
I don't play many video games anymore, but don't most games have some loading time for different things? The last final fantasy I played still loaded fights and cut scenes. So I'm sort of amazed at how cranky the sims community gets with loading screens. I know CC makes it longer, but still...

anyway I don't mind loading screens if they mean better game play.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Forum Resident
#20 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 1:00 AM
This world is what I was hoping to get, an open world split by neighbourhoods with loading screens. It gets a big thumbs up from me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 2:01 AM
Well unlike some I am very very pleased to see loading screens back. Loading screens are what give you lively community venues like resturants that you can go into. Whats the fun of an open hood if you sit and watch a green bar load while your sims eats in a rabbit hole? The huge open hood is the reason for those rabbit holes. You can't have it all. This is the perfect blend of sims 3 being able to visit your neighbors and sims 2 loading a community lot with plenty of sims and action. Big thumbs up from me as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#22 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 2:35 AM
I think that these new "zones" may actually give us "sides" of town that EA has been trying to create ever since TS3 (possibly TS2?.) To more distinctly label the "poor" neighborhood, "rich" neighborhood, "urban" neighborhood, etc. may be an opportunity we haven't had yet in TS4.

I guess, I'll just have to wait and see...

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Theorist
#23 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 3:45 AM
I need to see what and how this is implemented IN-GAME before I pass judgement. I can't see it. I really need some gameplay footage to see what this is.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 8:28 AM
Another of their discussion at e3...

see here

Download Policy
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 10:01 AM
Oh - interesting. So home lots have to be loaded. The outside environment is one big lot within a zone. That means, presumably, you can visit your neighbours (unless you're playing the neighbours at the time). This means, I guess, that it's possible to play rotational style. But what does it mean for story progression (for those who want it)? I'm happy playing in circles and aging everyone up as I go but I know some people prefer SP. I guess it could work. Well, that's a hopeful bit of news (for me).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 1 of 3