Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#26 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 5:04 PM
I'm now beating my head against the wall. My computer is taunting me on the other side of the room. I'm pretty sure I'm typing this with my mind. I made some really pretty eyes when I couldn't sleep last night, and I really want them to be default, but I can't figure out how to make a default set. I'm probably not going to upload these eyes, and I'd never ask someone to default them for me... If there was some way to explain this as one would to a child, a duck, or a very stupid person, I'd love you forever and a day and a half.
Advertisement
#27 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 5:10 PM
Or maybe not as one would to a duck. I don't understand Quackingese that well..
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 5:28 PM
It's much easier than all this now, little duckling. This tutorial was posted a looong time ago...

Basic rundown:

1. Open each of your finished eye .package files in SimPE. Click on the Texture Image resource. In Plugin View, you'll see your eye, surrounded by checkerboard. Right-click on your eye and choose Export. Export a .png format of your eye to a folder somewhere on your computer. Name the .png something descriptive - i.e. blue eye. Repeat for all the colours you want to make defaults.

2. Open an existing default replacement eye .package file. You're welcome to use either of mine on my eye uploads (Blasphemy and Precious Jewels are both available as defaults). You'll see there are textures in it, too. Click on the first one and see what it is - you can look at the image and I think there's a little text thing (uuface_eye_blue or something like that) for the resource as well to tell you what is what.

3. Now, right-click on the eye already in the default package and choose Build DXT. This will allow you to bring in the texture for your eye that you'd like to use instead. If Build DXT is greyed out look for Numenor's tutorial in the Object Creation & Texturing forum about recolouring objects in SimPE's object workshop - it has links to the nVidia DDS Utilities you will need and further info on setting it up. If you do have Build DXT, go ahead and choose the corresponding .png file you exported with your eye textures - if you've got the light blue default eye open, choose your light blue eye .png. Let it import the textures (it'll pop up a black box and take a sec) and then you should have your eye in the file, still surrounded by checkerboard. Click the Commit button.

4. Repeat step 3 for all the other eye colours in the .package file. Make sure to commit after each one.

5. Save when you're done.

6. Put the now-edited default file in your Downloads folder (take out any existing default eyes!) and load the game or Body Shop and see if it worked.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#29 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 6:21 PM
I love you, H.
Test Subject
#30 Old 18th Sep 2007 at 2:09 PM
Thank you HystericalParoxysm. I think my brain broke on that last tutorial! I am using your default package to put my eyes in but will it work with all EPs, even Bon Voyage?
Test Subject
#31 Old 22nd Sep 2007 at 9:12 AM
I made one of my eyes defaults, but I have one problem, file that I have now in my Downloads-folder is bak-file, not package-file. How can I get it package or do I have to change it package to get it here?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#32 Old 22nd Sep 2007 at 7:10 PM
the .bak file is a backup that SimPE saves when you edit the file. You should ALSO have a .package file in the same directory, go take another look. You can delete the .bak file.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#33 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 8:59 AM Last edited by pinkgrapefruit00 : 25th Sep 2007 at 5:30 PM.
oh, thanks (:
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 8:43 PM
i'm having a prob replacing default objects too - i want to recolour the baby bottle and the coffee/hot chocolate mug. as stupid as this sounds, i can figure out how to do it. i can *clone* or *recolour* the bottle/mug, but not replace it. is there a way to edit the existing bottle/mug without creating a new object?
Test Subject
#35 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 3:42 PM
You're my hero, HystericalParoxysm.
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 3:17 AM
Default Thank you! But still can't get other colors to work
Dear Lyran,
I was able to install my own default green eyes using Morague's tutorial. However, when I try to do the other colors, even with the correct instance numbers and following the same steps, I keep getting missing faces (and eyes), white with vague line patterns. What am I doing wrong?

Quote: Originally posted by Lyran
Thank you Morague for an excellent tutorial. It worked like a charm. I also did the other eyes and here are the instance filter numbers if anyone else is interested. It took me a while to find them LOL

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFF672AC -- Drk Blue

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF1BA3A5 -- Brown

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFDA620A -- Green

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFFBB8BB -- Grey

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF520051 -- Lgt Blue

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFA4A165 -- Drk Blue

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF77AF87 -- Brown

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF4C0AC1 -- Green

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFA333D0 -- Grey

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter --0xFF1C5E4E -- Lgt Blue

When I extracted the texture images from Sims07.package I also noticed that there were images both sized 512x512 and 256x256. I assume this might mean that people with lower capacity computers will not be able to use new defaults created for 512x512. Does anyone have more info regarding this? The instance filter numbers above are all for size 512x512.
Test Subject
#37 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 3:34 AM
Hi everybody (particularly HP) - I tried to do your tutorial, but BUILD DXT doesn't show up. I did everything else mentioned, however and my eyes show up blurred. I am working on alien defaults.
Not actually evil.
#38 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 4:07 AM
Did you download the legacy Nvidia DDS utilities? If not, Build DXT will be greyed out.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#39 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 11:47 PM
It doesn't sound like something I would do...

I will download and make the reattempt. Thank you for answering. Wish me luck!
Test Subject
#40 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 2:02 PM
Thanks SO much :] This was really helpful
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 24th May 2009 at 10:03 AM
I installed the DDS utilities like you said to, but Build DXT still isn't showing up. Anywhere. Greyed out or usable. It is nowhere to be found. And this is a major concern for me, because I didn't use it and now my default-eyes are dim and blurry. (The blurring reminds me strongly of what happens when it tries to use textures that are half the size they're supposed to be, but I'm not sure why the colors would be wonky.)

Click here! You know you want to.
Test Subject
#42 Old 25th Dec 2013 at 12:04 AM
SimPE newbie success story!
Hey, HP,

I know your post was several years ago, but I just wanted to thank you. I really had my mind set on having Enayla's Envoy as my default alien eye. Following other tutorials, I tried for hours to get that eye to look right and not blurred. I had just about given up when I stumbled across your comment. Your instructions were not only clear, but they were correct. I now have my Envoy alien default, despite never having made anything before with SimPE. Yay! Thank you so much.
Page 2 of 2