Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Summer Movie Night - posted on 13th Jun 2018 at 10:07 PM
Replies: 101 (Who?), Viewed: 43956 times.
Page 1 of 5
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 7:05 PM
Default Sims 4 Create a World
If you were to take an educated guess, do you think this feature will be made available to us?

If yes, do you think it'll be in the same way Sims 3 CaW was, i.e. a standalone tool? Or like the Sims 2 integrated feature?


I personally can't decide whether the new neighbourhood system will make building worlds easier or harder, or whether it will render it impossible, for that matter. Also, as we can't edit public spaces, it's unlikely we can build them from scratch, so perhaps that's confirmation in itself that there will be no such world building feature? Sorry, I'm aware my thoughts on the matter may be confusing. That's because - yes, you guessed it - trying to comprehend how the tool/feature would work confuses me immensely! I was hoping some of you more educated Simmers may have more informed guesses...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 7:26 PM
In my opinion, I think there will never be a create a world in sims 4.

Supposedly the world is divided in different districts, and I see that as an obstacle for create a world.
Also, let's take a look at these pictures

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Re...g?cb=1377703325

What is that boulevard? Is that an item that you could place in the middle of the road in any town or is it hardcoded in the terrain? To me it looks like hardcoded into it, not a decorative item that you could move or delete.
Also if we look at the sidewalks, we can see that they're slightly elevated, thing that we never saw in any other sims game, they're even round at the corners. I hightly doubt that they could give us a CAW with such intrincated options since lately everything is "too hard" for them to do.


My final veredict is, there will be no CAW, maybe they will give us empty templates to make towns from zero, and if they're too generous, an ability to edit the public space.
Scholar
#3 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 7:45 PM
Agree with the above ^^

Honestly, I would be happy with the way you could build The Sims 2 neighborhoods. Being able to start a neighborhood from a template and build all the lots you want was the perfect amount of "customize-ability" for me. It let me be creative without being too advanced or complicated.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 8:09 PM
i have a feeling it'll be in the game but in a really limited sense. Remember how they said we could travel between worlds? They'll probably give us the ability to 'duplicate' worlds, which would give us infinite lots to play with, but we would only be able to mess with the 'shells' EA gives us.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 8:27 PM
I have never created a World for Sims 3, so I have limited knowledge of how the whole process worked in that game.

Still I am optimistic that there will be a CAW tool for Sims 4. I don't see the separated neighborhoods within the worlds as that big an obstacle to creating custom worlds. I could see that you first create the terrain and then have to split it up into the individual neighborhoods, kind of like designating zones in Sim City. Then you can name those neighborhoods, place roads, lots decorations etc. Perhaps CAW will even allow you more than 5 neighborhoods (+ 1 large park) to a world, or more than 5 lots to a neighborhood? Wouldn't that be awesome.

And people, don't be so hung up on the fact that we can't edit the public space YET we couldn't do that in the (unpatched) BG of Sims 3 either, that function apparently only was delivered afterwards (at the same time as CAW?) Just allow things to progress.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#6 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 1:52 AM
maybe yes or no??

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Inventor
#7 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 2:10 AM
I was wondering about this myself earlier and meant to post about it. With the ability to travel between worlds there should be a way to create others in some form rather than wait for them to crank out some more.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 3:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCoo
Supposedly the world is divided in different districts, and I see that as an obstacle for create a world.


How about instead of create a world, it's create a district =D

What do you mean, 'get a life'! I'm a gamer, I have many lives.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:59 AM
You'd think by Sims 4, we'd have a neighborhood creator in the game.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfPlumbob
You'd think by Sims 4, we'd have a neighborhood creator in the game.


Hey, this is EA. If it ain't broke, break it. And if it's broke, toss it.

I really hope they do release some sort of CAW tool but as others said, TS4 is shaping up to be the "Dumb it down for new people" edition to the franchise. Screw long-time simmers!

/end-bad-joke
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:27 AM
It would be such a shame if they didn't, although I'm not holding my breath.

I think one of the only advantages (beyond performance) of the tiny little neighbourhoods in Sims 4 is that creating a new one would actually be quite easy for the average Simmer. I'll admit, while I loved the idea of creating a world or a neighbourhood in past Sims games, the vastness of them made the process a little intimidating to me - I would create half a world and then I'd want to play it such a lot that I would rush the end. Creating a number of small neighbourhoods in the Sims 4 would be a lot of fun - we could really give each on its own personality and really work into the details of each world.

I know lots of amazing world-creators would feel limited by the small world size, but if EA is trying to 'open up' to new simmers, it would actually work well for their business. (And I think the only way EA would offer the tool, would be if it worked well for their business).
Instructor
#12 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 12:04 PM
I wished I could have my own SIms 4 avatar just like the other fellow simmers here

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Instructor
#13 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:19 PM
Without an open world, CAW is sort of a pointless exercise, isn't it?

As I understand it, in the Sims 4, your sims will teleport from lot to lot. After they teleport to a lot, they will appear on the sidewalk on the lot. They will also leave from the sidewalk. Apparently there will be no cars or other vehicles (so much for Fresh Prince!) There will be no wandering through a world. No jogging, no walking from house to house, no driving from place to place, no collecting gems, seeds, metals and the like, except on lots.

In the Sims 3, I loved having my Sims jog through the world. Or ride a horse to a fishing spot. Or walk the dog to a park. Or search the far reaches of the world for some valuable trinket. Exploring worlds is a lot more fun when one can really explore them.

Each neighborhood in the Sims 4, apparently will be limited to five lots. Most CAW worlds have over 100. There is not much one can do with a five lot world.

Quite frankly, making a "world" which consists of no more than five lots, and where you cannot even walk down the street, seems to be a total waste of time.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
Without an open world, CAW is sort of a pointless exercise, isn't it?

As I understand it, in the Sims 4, your sims will teleport from lot to lot. After they teleport to a lot, they will appear on the sidewalk on the lot. They will also leave from the sidewalk. Apparently there will be no cars or other vehicles (so much for Fresh Prince!) There will be no wandering through a world. No jogging, no walking from house to house, no driving from place to place, no collecting gems, seeds, metals and the like, except on lots.

In the Sims 3, I loved having my Sims jog through the world. Or ride a horse to a fishing spot. Or walk the dog to a park. Or search the far reaches of the world for some valuable trinket. Exploring worlds is a lot more fun when one can really explore them.

Each neighborhood in the Sims 4, apparently will be limited to five lots. Most CAW worlds have over 100. There is not much one can do with a five lot world.

Quite frankly, making a "world" which consists of no more than five lots, and where you cannot even walk down the street, seems to be a total waste of time.


First of all a world consists of 5 neighborhoods which each have up to 5 lots so its about 25 lots for each world, plus perhaps CAW will let you assign more neighborhoods to a world or more lots to a neighborhood.
And you can still walk around everywhere, there are just a few loading screens to help with the performance. The teleportation was just for the demo, there ill be walking animations for the final product.
And second Sims 2 also had no open world and still people created neighborhoods for it. Same with Sims 4.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
Each neighborhood in the Sims 4, apparently will be limited to five lots. Most CAW worlds have over 100. There is not much one can do with a five lot world.


Actually, I see this as a POSITIVE for world creators. Creating a TS3 world takes weeks or months and a massive amount of patience. Creating a TS4-style neighborhood is a much more approachable project, and... IF we get a tool (whether official or community-created)... should lower the barrier and unleash a lot more participation. I know I'm not the only simmer who started a TS3 world more than once but gave up before finishing it.

The fact that the worlds are apparently simpler... for instance, the playable areas are apparently flat, like TS2... should also make it much easier and therefore more enticing to create neighborhoods.

What I see as a potential barrier for world creators is the reliance on "distant terrain" and large props around the edges of the neighborhood, to sustain the illusion that you're in part of a larger city. Sure we will doubtless be able to extract everything EA uses in the worlds they create, but what we've seen is specific to the particular geographical settings EA's worlds are in. The challenge would be to make something substantially different. Would require excellent meshing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
Quite frankly, making a "world" which consists of no more than five lots, and where you cannot even walk down the street, seems to be a total waste of time.


You can walk down the street in TS4 :O You get a loading screen when you enter a lot, not when you leave one, and the space between lots is completely open, and populated with interactable objects (unlike even TS3, where inter-lot space has pretty much nothing but collectibles). That's the significant difference between TS4 and TS2.
Test Subject
#16 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:29 PM
I'm remaining hopeful that they decide to give some form of CAW to us. I agree with the above above poster. I think it could actually be quite interesting! I say don't knock it until we know for certain.
Test Subject
#17 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:52 PM
I'm enthralled by the idea of the 'world' that is one giant park. I think I'm correct in saying that. The one shown in the 20-minute demo was absolutely breathtaking. I wonder if they'll let us create our own parks. Would be fabulous.
Instructor
#18 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
Actually, I see this as a POSITIVE for world creators. Creating a TS3 world takes weeks or months and a massive amount of patience. Creating a TS4-style neighborhood is a much more approachable project, and... IF we get a tool (whether official or community-created)... should lower the barrier and unleash a lot more participation. I know I'm not the only simmer who started a TS3 world more than once but gave up before finishing it.


Yeah, but on the other hand, it will drasticly restrict the hardcore world creators. The exchange, or wherever they will share the worlds (IF) will be flooded with low quality shitholes made in five minutes by just anybody. I'm not saying I'm the God of CAW, but if you look at the creations on the sims 3 exchange, you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
You can walk down the street in TS4 :O You get a loading screen when you enter a lot, not when you leave one, and the space between lots is completely open, and populated with interactable objects (unlike even TS3, where inter-lot space has pretty much nothing but collectibles). That's the significant difference between TS4 and TS2.


If you use SuperCAW, you can place interactable objects off a lot, thus making the space attractive, it's just up to you.
Eminence Grise
#19 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 1:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon
Yeah, but on the other hand, it will drasticly restrict the hardcore world creators. The exchange, or wherever they will share the worlds (IF) will be flooded with low quality shitholes made in five minutes by just anybody.


How is that going to restrict the hardcore world creators? The fact that the exchange is flooded with crappy sims and lots doesn't currently stop talented creators from making those things. They just share them in other venues, where their work can stand out. That will be the case in TS4 too, no doubt. There isn't anything that can be shared in the TS4 Gallery that can't also be shared by other means.

If they can get tools, whether official or unofficial, dedicated, talented creators will create high quality, beautiful, complete worlds. While making a single district should be easier in TS4, making a full world with six distinct districts and a compelling overall theme will still provide plenty of scope for skilled creators to show what they can do.

And I would say that the ability of any sim to travel to any world will increase the demand for custom worlds, if we can make them. A lot of simmers stick with the same family or group of families and didn't try new worlds in the past, because in TS2 and TS3 there were barriers to moving between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnashdene
I'm enthralled by the idea of the 'world' that is one giant park. I think I'm correct in saying that. The one shown in the 20-minute demo was absolutely breathtaking. I wonder if they'll let us create our own parks. Would be fabulous.


That giant park is a community lot (at least, some of it is), so yeah, you'll be able to edit that or replace it with something different in the base game without any special tools.
Instructor
#20 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
How is that going to restrict the hardcore world creators? The fact that the exchange is flooded with crappy sims and lots doesn't currently stop talented creators from making those things. They just share them in other venues, where their work can stand out. That will be the case in TS4 too, no doubt. There isn't anything that can be shared in the TS4 Gallery that can't also be shared by other means.


I was talking about making world creation easier by dumbing down the process, not the place where they share their creations. You can't allow yourself to try new things knowing that a world consists of barely 25 lots + park.
dodgy builder
#21 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 6:03 PM
If it's all just flat as well, landscaping isn't going to give many options. 6 districs or 30 lots is a bit silly really. It may be possible to travel between different worlds more instant, but it's still dumbing down the process as Monsoon says. A world in CAW has a lot of options.

I was wondering about the meshing of the DT or distant terrain. I haven't done that in caw so far, but will it really be that different from TS3?
Eminence Grise
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon
You can't allow yourself to try new things knowing that a world consists of barely 25 lots + park.


I repeat: "huh?"

I would say that the fact that a world requires less time investment means that there'll be a heck of a lot more experimentation Faster iteration!

And, in this hypothetical future where we have the tools for it, who's to say we won't also have the tools (player-made, most likely) to add more districts and/or make larger districts? Even SimCity now has mods and methods that let you build "out of the box".
Instructor
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 3:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
I repeat: "huh?"

I would say that the fact that a world requires less time investment means that there'll be a heck of a lot more experimentation Faster iteration!


Yes, that's one way to look at it - but on the other hand,, it'll come at the price of sacrificing multiple lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
And, in this hypothetical future where we have the tools for it, who's to say we won't also have the tools (player-made, most likely) to add more districts and/or make larger districts? Even SimCity now has mods and methods that let you build "out of the box".


Well, that's the most desirable scenario - as this whole thread.

As for SimCity, you cannot build just anything, you can't place residential, commercial or industrial areas outside of the box, only plop buildings and services, and even this is still borked.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 4:01 AM
We need something way better than Create a world. I could never for the life of me create anything with CAW. I want something more simple and easier to use. They are making everything else simpler to use, can't see why they can't do this.
dodgy builder
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 6:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioromance
We need something way better than Create a world. I could never for the life of me create anything with CAW. I want something more simple and easier to use. They are making everything else simpler to use, can't see why they can't do this.


CAW never got out of Beta, they didn't really plan on putting that much effort into it. It was a side business, and will probably stay that way.We got if for free though, if they put more effort into it you will have to pay.
Page 1 of 5
Back to top