Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 72 (Who?), Viewed: 23232 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:31 PM
[WIP] Merfolk: More Fish-like Mermaids (Help Wanted)
Hey, what's going on guys, Maxwell here!

I've been in the works for a Mermaid model replacer for the past season, with no avail. The idea of the mod was inspired by the creative minds of Deviantart.com and their radical Merfolk designs. I was rather disappointed by the lack of thought put into the Mermaid life state in the Island Paradise expansion, and I wanted to improve the current model by adding some of my own twists. However, creating the actual model requires me to splice the game for the data and import the current model into my current modeler: Blender 2.49. The task has proven to be frustrating at best, as I'm running into technical issues.

You can find my main thread on the Official forums here. If you want to join the discussion having to do with my struggle with the programs for the modeler, it can be found here. If you want to see what I've been doing on Nexusmods, my forum profile can be found here. I've been working on another mod alongside this, and having similar issues.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to any feedback you can give. Every bit counts! :D
Advertisement
Spice Pony
#2 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:06 PM
What I'd really love to see is textureless mermaid tails for more mammalian mermaids. Anyway, I'm no modder, so I can't really provide any technical advice, but I will chip in to say that I love the sound of this project. Mermaids are a bit dull as-is. Are you focusing more on revamping the life state, changing the appearance, or a combination?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 8:25 PM
It depends. I don't script (I've never done it), but I do plan on making the mermaids look much more like the creature they represent than the typical perfect hybrid often seen in traditional fantasy. The main thread shows what I'm aiming for.

If I were to make a more mammalian mermaid, I would have to make a separate version of the mod on the same page. Twice the work, and doing pretty much the same thing. And, currently, I have no clue how to get that set up.
Instructor
#4 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 12:12 AM
Did anyone ever do something about this? I would kill for a new tail mesh. One that is skinny and doesn't stretch in weird ways while swimming would be great. I personally like my mermaids on the wilder(img of a merbeing drawn by me) side too. However, I'm willing to stay the half human half fish nonsense as long as I can get a proper tail for both male and females. If anyone know of any tail mods out there do let me know.
Spice Pony
#5 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 2:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAnkhiar
Did anyone ever do something about this? I would kill for a new tail mesh. One that is skinny and doesn't stretch in weird ways while swimming would be great. I personally like my mermaids on the wilder(img of a merbeing drawn by me) side too. However, I'm willing to stay the half human half fish nonsense as long as I can get a proper tail for both male and females. If anyone know of any tail mods out there do let me know.

Agreed. Heck, I'd settle for one without the scale texture. As many different varieties of the existing one there are, it can't be that hard to not have any.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th May 2015 at 3:58 AM
This feels like an eternity ago.

I wonder what they'll do for the Sims 4. Hopefully, they won't take the lazy route and re-texture ordinary Sims and just giving them special powers. Heck, they might even surprise us with a wicked idea.
Spice Pony
#7 Old 10th May 2015 at 8:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellCollins
This feels like an eternity ago.

I wonder what they'll do for the Sims 4. Hopefully, they won't take the lazy route and re-texture ordinary Sims and just giving them special powers. Heck, they might even surprise us with a wicked idea.


I take it you've abandoned this project?
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th May 2015 at 5:51 AM
Hey there! I know this thread started a while ago, but I've actually had pretty good success in the past at designing various mermaid tails and editing the mesh *slightly*. I'm able to change the fluke shape, change the texture, and sort of edit the body of the tail to an extent. The only thing I wish I could do is add pectoral/dorsal/pelvic/etc. fins to the mesh, so if you know of a way to do that, I'd love to poke around with it! As of now, I've made a dolphin/orca tail, various fish-inspired designs with markings, and an attempt at a cecaelian. If you're interested, I did a retexture of Ginko's mermaid ears that can be used to make a more animal-esque mermaid. Those can be found _Ginko_mermaid_ear_retexture.sims3pack]here . The male version is _MALE_Ginko_ear_retexture.sims3pack]here . One of the tails I edited can be found here . And finally, an assortment of mermaid tops I created can be found _mermaid_tops.sims3pack]here . Let me know what you think and if you've had any luck since the beginning of the thread!
Spice Pony
#9 Old 11th May 2015 at 6:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybie
Hey there! I know this thread started a while ago, but I've actually had pretty good success in the past at designing various mermaid tails and editing the mesh *slightly*. I'm able to change the fluke shape, change the texture, and sort of edit the body of the tail to an extent. The only thing I wish I could do is add pectoral/dorsal/pelvic/etc. fins to the mesh, so if you know of a way to do that, I'd love to poke around with it! As of now, I've made a dolphin/orca tail, various fish-inspired designs with markings, and an attempt at a cecaelian. If you're interested, I did a retexture of Ginko's mermaid ears that can be used to make a more animal-esque mermaid. Those can be found _Ginko_mermaid_ear_retexture.sims3pack]here . The male version is _MALE_Ginko_ear_retexture.sims3pack]here . One of the tails I edited can be found here . And finally, an assortment of mermaid tops I created can be found _mermaid_tops.sims3pack]here . Let me know what you think and if you've had any luck since the beginning of the thread!


That's awesome. Have you uploaded the dolphin/orca one anywhere? As I noted above, I'd love to have one like that.
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewenk7
That's awesome. Have you uploaded the dolphin/orca one anywhere? As I noted above, I'd love to have one like that.


I haven't yet, but I can totally do that and post the link!
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th May 2015 at 1:54 AM
Here is a collection of the three tails I've been working on, including the mammalian one! Let me know what you think!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 12th May 2015 at 2:11 AM
On the topic of mammalian tails, if I had any meshing skill I would make a pinniped tail for selkie Sims. That would be pretty cool too.
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th May 2015 at 7:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinseth
On the topic of mammalian tails, if I had any meshing skill I would make a pinniped tail for selkie Sims. That would be pretty cool too.


I could probably manage that. All I'd have to do is edit another fluke and create a fur-like texture. If you have reference pictures, I'd love to try my hand at it.
Spice Pony
#14 Old 12th May 2015 at 6:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybie
Here is a collection of the three tails I've been working on, including the mammalian one! Let me know what you think!


Good, for the most part! The fishy texture is still pretty blatant, though. That'd be my one complaint.

If you ever figure out fins, let us know. I've always wanted to have a shark fin accessory or something like that. Honestly, I wish there was a way to take the fin from that awful Seasons shark costume and affix it directly to the back. Oh, well. I'm sure someone will come up with something eventually.

Anyway, thanks.
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th May 2015 at 1:01 AM
Yeah, there's not much I can do about the scale shine texture. :/ That has to do with lighting and I don't plan on going anywhere near that. Lol. I'll keep trying to figure out how to do various fins and let you know when I do.
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th May 2015 at 3:40 AM
Good news! I stumbled upon a conversion of someone's set of sims 2 fin accessories. There is a shark-style and fish-style set with fins on the head, back, arms, and legs. The only problem is that they are VERY cartoony. Nothing a good ol' retexture and mesh edit can't fix! I'll get to work and keep you guys posted.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th May 2015 at 6:05 AM
I'm in LOVE with the Orca tail. Is there any chance you would do one for males? My orca Siren is fine on her own, I was just curious.
Test Subject
#18 Old 13th May 2015 at 7:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckk
I'm in LOVE with the Orca tail. Is there any chance you would do one for males? My orca Siren is fine on her own, I was just curious.


Absolutely! It'd be relatively quick and easy. I'm glad you love it!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 13th May 2015 at 8:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybie
I could probably manage that. All I'd have to do is edit another fluke and create a fur-like texture. If you have reference pictures, I'd love to try my hand at it.


Haha, thanks, but you don't have to do that. It's mostly wishful thinking on my part.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 13th May 2015 at 9:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybie
Absolutely! It'd be relatively quick and easy. I'm glad you love it!

Wow, pretty excited to see it! Thanks for sharing~
Banned
#21 Old 13th May 2015 at 11:05 PM
On behalf of those who want to see without downloading (including those curious), I think people would like to see screenshots.
Okay, I'll go now, QUICKLY.
Test Subject
#22 Old 14th May 2015 at 1:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron4Ever
On behalf of those who want to see without downloading (including those curious), I think people would like to see screenshots.
Okay, I'll go now, QUICKLY.


I'll get right on it!
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th May 2015 at 2:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckk
Wow, pretty excited to see it! Thanks for sharing~


Here 's the male orca/shark tail!
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th May 2015 at 5:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron4Ever
On behalf of those who want to see without downloading (including those curious), I think people would like to see screenshots.
Okay, I'll go now, QUICKLY.












There you go! Screenshots of just about everything I've done to customize the mermaids.
Spice Pony
#25 Old 14th May 2015 at 6:12 AM
Oh, man. That looks great. You are awesome.
Page 1 of 3
Back to top