Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 3387 (Who?), Viewed: 116811 times.
Page 84 of 136
Theorist
#2076 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:41 AM Last edited by Viktor86 : 11th May 2015 at 3:03 AM.
I don't like coffee. I mean, I really don't like it. Just the aroma is extremely horrible, not mentionting the lac of taste.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Field Researcher
#2077 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:51 AM
May I has some tea please?
Lab Assistant
#2078 Old 11th May 2015 at 2:08 AM
I'm a tea person myself. :P

I don't actually own Sims 4 yet. I only got Sims 3 after the S4 announcement because it meant all the expansion packs are out and the game is patched out as it can possibly be. (Although in hindsight that last bit is debatable.)

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll get Sims 4 when more expansions are out. Honestly after watching all those let's plays I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far. And Get To Work hasn't changed that opinion. (Although to be fair the same could be said about World Adventures but base game Sims 3 at least impressed me with the open world)

I guess time will tell. I'm currently having a blast with Sims 3 and the longevity has increased when I found I'm capable of creating my own custom content. :D
Theorist
#2079 Old 11th May 2015 at 3:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicidiaParasidia
To be honest, I think after so long, the mods do have a point about beating a dead horse... But just because it is beating a dead horse, doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Especially, since, well, a lot of the posts that I read weren't needlessly negative. There were a fair amount of balanced critiques aimed at the game from a number of people who had different long-term experiences with The Sims franchise. It wasn't all the exact same sentiment with the exact same reasonings. I think there's value in that.
(To be clear, I already thought I wouldn't like Sims 4 based on the playthroughs I've seen on YouTube... and it just so happens that experience backed me up.)

I wonder if you've considered how bad it is that you're that easily amused and the game still doesn't amuse you as a whole....

The thing is, sometimes people who had not been hanging out in the TS4 forum would come and post what they thought about it, and the mods would lock the thread. I was really pissed on their behalf! Of course there is going to be a pretty much continuous stream of "new" folks coming and wanting to state their opinions about the game. As long as they're members in 'good standing', why shouldn't they be allowed to?

I think it would have made a lot more sense to create a thread for opinions/reviews of the game, and let anyone post whatever they wanted about it. Any new stand-alone posts that gave an opinion or a review could have been moved there. That way everyone could have had their say and the delicate, easily upset people didn't have to read it if they didn't want to. Might have also been interesting to see if how many people were on each side, too.

All that said, I had a blast being a Receptacularist and in the end I'm glad they created a place where we could safely vent about the game. People who felt it was beating a dead horse didn't have to open the thread at all....

Receptacle Refugee ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#2080 Old 11th May 2015 at 4:19 AM
I think I figured out what the experiment at our old home was.

The saying is: "Give people an inch, and they'll take a mile."

Or something like that. I guess they were watching to see if the thread blew up over paltry, silly arguments over some minute point of gameplay, and when it did not, they were surprised. They were hoping we'd prove them right and thus give them a good reason to shut it down fast. We didn't. We behaved like intelligent, and polite adults (for the most part) and discussed things as such.

Let's be fair, though-it did outlive it's original purpose, and we were being stubborn at giving it up...I'm homesick, too.
Scholar
#2081 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:27 AM
So, The Receptacle is closed.

At least, it's over. Though we still didn't get any response as to why, what experiment was that failed, and in which way did it fail.

I am sad. Need my coffee more than ever.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#2082 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:35 AM
I felt a disturbance in the force, so I woke up in the night and found it closed.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2083 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:38 AM
Lol, I just *know* the staff, giggling, said "Wouldn't it be funny if we told everyone the receptacle was an experiment all along, and it failed, and then close it without saying why". Wicked sense of humor :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#2084 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:14 AM
Nope I was wrong. Turns out it's social engineering in action. It's an attempt to influence our feelings about the game, or, more positively spun, to help us regain our sense of wellbeing.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#2085 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:50 AM
Inge, go make a thread on the Sims 4 board titled 'Receptacle 2: Electric Boogaloo' and the post should just be the lyrics to that Chumbawamba song "I Get Knocked Down". They wouldn't dare ban you.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Lab Assistant
#2086 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Nope I was wrong. Turns out it's social engineering in action. It's an attempt to influence our feelings about the game, or, more positively spun, to help us regain our sense of wellbeing.

Ok...I just read that summation and I'm like WTF. They are worried about our "anger" towards EA ruining the franchise? It isn't anger FFS - it's love of the franchise and our refusal to accept a half assed piece of shit that isn't even as good as the current Sims FreePlay mobile game. I was really stunned by that post and it's inference that we should all just assimilate to what EA is trying to shove down our throats....for our own good, of course. SMH
#2087 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:07 AM
Quote:
They wouldn't dare ban you.

Haha wouldn't they... No I think I've said all I am going to say about this now :D

Test Subject
#2088 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:19 AM
So, I've gathered from closing post, discussion of shortcomings of game "keeps disappointment alive." Interesting logic. I thought said discussion keeps others' disappointment visible for ones who don't want to see it, and that irritates them. I didn't discuss TS4 with anyone for months, and disappointment is still there. Probably, it's past expectations, remembrance of dead excitement, love for franchise in general and half-dead hope that keeps arising from time to time only to be beaten down with another bit of news about game that keep disappointment alive. Fabulous marketing, also. Sad fact is, many people really don't need approval of peers to stay disappointed.
Scholar
#2089 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydsyrious
Ok...I just read that summation and I'm like WTF.

Agreed. Does not compute.
Anyway, thanks for telling me about the summation. I wouldn't have gone over there after the closure, had you not mention it.

It all just... reminds me of things I'd rather not think about when simply trying to hang out with my fellow Simmers.

Very bad aftertaste. Nothing like coffee, not at all. Or Earl Grey, hot. Or whatever Kirk was having.
Looks like something out of Continuum instead.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
#2090 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:31 AM
Actually I am glad TS4 disappointed me, cos I finally found time to tinker with Unity and start learning to write my own stuff.

Instructor
#2091 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:08 AM
Frankly, the closing post sounds like a load of old cobblers to me.
That's putting it politely.

Oh well.

Also, I expect everyone who participates in this thread to approve of my disappointment !

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
#2092 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:11 AM
Maybe Graham suggested it to them? I guess it's worth a try; without that thread keeping the disappointment alive we could all be enthusiastic TS4 fans again in 3 months - who knows?

Instructor
#2093 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:17 AM
God I hope not. If that happens, someone promise to come to Aussieland and club me.
Luckily I have never bought the game. Even watching LP's horrifies me.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#2094 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzler
A bunch of people connected by their disappointment of a game they were really looking forward to and wanted to like. Do you really consider this a good thing being connected to others through a negative feeling?

Hey man, some of my best friends that I met at uni and I bonded over shared loathing of our subjects/common enemies/common enemy lecturers.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Instructor
#2095 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:26 AM
Perhaps the negative feelings bring them together, but it isn't necessarily what consistently holds them together.
Even if it is, isn't that their choice to make as long as they're not off stirring up trouble and abuse elsewhere and confining themselves to one place?

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#2096 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:48 AM
I love your signature, Pary. It sums up the situation perfectly.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2097 Old 11th May 2015 at 11:05 AM
Thanks to a good friend I can go see an opera for free when I want. (Is this off-topic enough for an introductory sentence?)
And I did so last night. Therefore I overslept the closing of the Trashcan, unfortunately, and you'll have to forgive me for writing this here instead.

Don_Babilon was born in the TS4 Chat thread (that's when I changed my username), he grew up and rose to Mad Poster status there, too, and moved on to become a Receptacularist later (and a Creator for the site, much to his own surprise). Sometimes he wrote more or less useful things on the topic at hand, sometimes he enjoyed derailing or joining a derailment, and was always pleased by how healthy these threads still remained. No matter how huge those derailing loops had become they always connected back after a while. He always saw the danger of the threads steering off into off-topicness but was pleasantly surprised at the aplomb with which the moderators had handled this and how the thread participants took care of moderation themselves. These threads did nurture some sort of subculture but that's the reason why Don_Babilon stayed. He cherished the surplus values these threads created: information, entertainment and how the participants managed to almost fully keep the threads organised all by themselves. And when moderators were just moderators.

Now they've become herders. And Don_Babilon doesn't like to be herded. At all.

Maybe Don_Babilon saw these threads as an experiment, too, an experiment for how much a discussion can suffer to be pushed, stretched and squeezed, for how this can engender new levels of culture and civility and for whether those in charge can maintain a state of relaxed self-assurance. The experiment was a success for a very long time, but eventually failed. The Receptacularists themselves did not fail, on the contrary, but the herders and those outside the corral.

To be honest, I don't think that Don_Babilon can really familiarise with this new place here and actually feels a bit indifferent towards the whole site at the moment. In his rare spare time during the last months he has tested two more mods and now wonders what for. His mods are ridiculously simple, everyone can make them, testing isn't really painful as he would just have to play the game, but uploading them takes an enormous amount time - the description needs to be written and checked (which is hard for someone whose first language isn't English) the screenshots are judged by the moderators, compatibility has to be checked, credits, too. I think that he thinks now that this time can be spent with better things, like drinking rum and having fun.

Yeah, Don_Babilon sounds a bit disappointed at the moment and I think that he actually is.

Theorist
#2098 Old 11th May 2015 at 11:08 AM
I love your signature too! Maybe we should all put that in our siggies, lol.

What really puzzles me more than anything is why you're allowed to be critical of the game as long as you like it but if you don't like the game, even if you say the exact same things, you're labeled a 'hater' who has an unhealthy attitude. Makes no sense!

Don_Babilon, you snuck a post in here while I was typing. I have the same feelings about this site ATM. If it weren't for all the people I've met and genuinely like, I would have been gone some time ago. I do hope we'll still see you around from time to time.

Receptacle Refugee ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Alchemist
#2099 Old 11th May 2015 at 11:10 AM
Sorry but this is bullshit. The mods that decided to lock the receptacle are strongly biased. First they shove all negative threads into one, then lock it. This is not the first time I have seen this behavour, I got an official warning from a mod for telling a user that I don't think she should buy the game and she almost deleted that my post.

Quote:
Look at what this thread has become, though. A bunch of people connected by their disappointment of a game they were really looking forward to and wanted to like. Do you really consider this a good thing being connected to others through a negative feeling?

Just because people connect over something they dislike doesn't mean it's a bad connection. Would the thread have been locked if the posts in the receptacle mainly consisted of positive/good posts about the game? Since when is it up to them that saying negative things about the game hurts the forum?! Did it hurt anyone that didn't wanna visit the receptacle that the thread existed!?
Top Secret Researcher
#2100 Old 11th May 2015 at 11:13 AM
"Look at what this thread has become, though. A bunch of people connected by their disappointment of a game they were really looking forward to and wanted to like. Do you really consider this a good thing being connected to others through a negative feeling?"

People projecting their "negative feelings" onto me and this fake concern for my well being are funny. I enjoy popping in to see what's going on with the Sims 4 and commenting if I have anything to say -- and I'm certainly not going to do that in threads started by those enjoying the game. So I switched my MTS bookmark to this forum since being connected to a bunch of people through negativity has been a wholly positive experience.

Calamity Hills Apocalypse (Sims 2 Let's Play) | Tumblr(s) | Twitter
Page 84 of 136