Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#51 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 11:28 PM
@Enki, I was giggling aloud when I read your story, and actually still am. It's hilarious, please keep writing more! I think Jack looks exactly like a British con artist from the 18th century, I love his sly smile! And it's so funny how Jamie does absolutely nothing useful in any of the pictures (if you don't call setting herself on fire useful, that is). I hope she won't indeed end up in a bag labeled "home again"... I also liked it that you combined the story with comments on rules, random events etc. And to answer your question about how to add a child in Manage Households, I used the same strategy as you. I admit that it's perhaps not the most realistic way to have a baby, but well, the game doesn't give us much choice.

And @wingit, please, please create a blog, too! I'm having such a great time reading through these stories and I know I'm not the only one. So much has happened in your challenge already and I think it'd make a very interesting story. Especially now that you've also rolled Casanova!

@rythm2, no problem, of course you can keep them listed in your thread. And if you or anyone else would like to invent some new random events to spice things up, you're welcome to do so, I'll then add them to the list.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 2:17 AM
Hi! This challenge intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a go. Here are my settlers, Bridget and Miles Thorne. They fled their old way of life after some apocalyptic event occurred and headed out West. (I haven't decided what happened yet..maybe a deadly plague outbreak? Zombies? Hmm...)

So far they've built themselves a nice little adobe house. (I'm really going to try and make their lives blend into their surroundings)

And I have a question. The game seems to automatically generates townies even though all the lots are bulldozed. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn this off? I'm not going to let my settlers talk to any of them, but there are tons of them wandering around the outskirts of my property. It'd be kinda nice to limit them to the specific families I bring in, especially when I start building community lots.

Anyway, I may make a blog if things get interesting. I really love this idea!
Test Subject
#53 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 8:54 AM
Great challenge!

Quote: Originally posted by brimmely
And I have a question. The game seems to automatically generates townies even though all the lots are bulldozed. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn this off? I'm not going to let my settlers talk to any of them, but there are tons of them wandering around the outskirts of my property. It'd be kinda nice to limit them to the specific families I bring in, especially when I start building community lots.

Anyway, I may make a blog if things get interesting. I really love this idea!

As for your question brimmely there is a mod here om MTS called Reduced Townie Generating. The link is: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=535110
Test Subject
#54 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:59 PM
@brimmely, I like your concept! Part of the fun of this challenge is building homes that fit the circumstances. I just placed a family in a shipping container home built from walls and floors I found here at Mod the Sims. My neighborhood is not pretty, but I'm trying for "realism." @smukkemiss is correct about the townie reductions mod. The game still generates some, but fewer is definitely better.
Scholar
#55 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 5:05 PM
I´m not into building myself, that is, I want my buildings efficient first and convincing second only.
That´s why I enjoy seeing your colonies develop from skew shelters to prospering towns. So, @brimmely, you may think nothing interesting has happened yet for you, you never know what others might consider interesting

In my game Jamie finally demonstrated where her expertise lies: she´s a wonderful mom. My experience with free willed sims a real limited, I´m moving out of my comfort zone here (but in a good way). Soo, back to the game. According to the timeline my sims are going to face Mr. Bligh as their new governor next and a perfect random event came up. I do not see Bligh as a villain, by the way, but that would be way OT.
Test Subject
#56 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 11:29 PM
@wingit Thanks! I downloaded it and it does seem to help. I'm now getting about 20 townies as opposed to 80-100. Hooray!

@Enki That's true! I think I will make a blog. I've had fun reading yours btw.
Scholar
#57 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 4:06 PM
Hello again!
Can´t even begin to tell you how much fun I´m still having with this. I´m currently in Gen. 2, the heir is a young adult, but has already build everything he is eligible for, so he is now free to pursue his personal dreams

For a future replay of the challenge I plan to use some rule tweaks (some of those are already in play):
Test Subject
#58 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 8:03 PM
I have started this challenge, and I am a bit confused on the play only one sim at a time, play only the heir rule. Because that would mean I would have to skip childhood aspirations completley, even the child that will be the next heir. Is that how you intended it or is this simply a mistake?
Anyway I am bending your rules a bit to give my next heir his childhood aspiration aritistic prodigy, leaven the other children alone.

Also, are we supposed to play the familys we move in to the town? If we don´t they will pretty much just die out. Do we apply the same rules to them, and are they eligable for unlocking things as well.

I am sorry if I have missunderstood something, maybe this is already clear from the rules and I just missed it.

Great challenge!
Scholar
#59 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 9:05 PM
Hi! I´m just a player, so my answers are not official, but I´ll try to help:
Quote: Originally posted by Wolverina
I am a bit confused on the play only one sim at a time, play only the heir rule. Because that would mean I would have to skip childhood aspirations completley, even the child that will be the next heir. Is that how you intended it or is this simply a mistake?

I think that´s how it´s supposed to work. I started playing my second generation heir when he was a teen and my current heir almost the moment she jumped out of the crib. She cannot pay bills or tend to the garden, so I make use of the optional Helper-rule. My suggestion is to continue to play your heir, but make the future heir the Helper. After all, a succesful village founder would want their children to be prepared to succeed them and not let them slack around.[/QUOTE]

Also, are we supposed to play the familys we move in to the town? If we don´t they will pretty much just die out.

I don´t think we may play them, but, yes, the dying out can be a problem. Some of the random events give you the opportunity to add children to families, but not reliably enough to keep the whole town going. That´s why whenever I become eligable to add new sims, I sometimes only a fraction of the rolled amount of sims to create new settlers and the rest to give some of the already existing families children. To unlock school, electricity and so on only the overall number of sims counts, so it shouldn´t matter whether they are new arrivals or colony born sims.

Do we apply the same rules to them, and are they eligable for unlocking things as well.

They cannot unlock lots or priviledges at all, otherwise the challenge would be over quickly. I think the Build a City challenge (TS2) takes intom account several played households, but not this one.
Test Subject
#60 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 11:44 PM
I started this challenge (along with a few others) a little while ago and I've been posting my progress here: http://strawberryhousesims.tumblr.com/tagged/lowry :D
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 1:01 AM
Really Cool Omg! :d
Test Subject
#62 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 11:54 AM
I'm Probally going to try this! It looks so fun.
Test Subject
#63 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 8:42 AM
I love this challenge its so much fun. I roll for random events on Mondays and Thursdays to add a little more variety to my game. Here's some random events I use to spice things up a little bit. :D

-The towns water supply is tainted with toxins! If you have a garden delete 3 of your plants that were contaminated beyond saving.

-Your current partner held a garage sale while you were hard at work today and they sold one of your collections! Delete all of the items from one of the collectibles section from your inventory and house.

-The community wants to throw a block party! Host a house or dinner party with in your next event roll and receive at least a silver rating. If silver is not achieved subtract 500 simoleons from your bank for an unsuccessful party.

-School is closed for the day!! All Children and Teenagers must stay home from school. Only applicable if you have unlocked school.

-Oh no, looks like your current heir is suffering a midlife crisis (adult sims only)! Roll a dice (1-6) to determine your event that you need to complete.
1) New Career. You can choose but it can't be in the same type that you are currently working. Example: can't change from Criminal Boss branch to Criminal Oracle branch. If careers are not available you can ignore or re-roll.
2) Change Aspiration. You get to choose which one.
3) Have a baby with in the next week or add a baby via adoption. If family is full re-roll or ignore.
4) Pack up and move your family to a new lot. You may take all items that you have in current house or sell them.
5) Kick your current spouse or partner out of the house (leave in bin or put them on a lot, doesn't matter). After a week your spouse/partner may come back or you can find a new lover and break up/divorce your current partner/spouse.
6) Your sim got over their crisis with out any conflict. Nothing changes.

-Your current spouse/partner went on a shopping spree. Subtract 200 simoleons from your account and add an extra 10 simoleons per child in your current household.

-Baby Boom! Add a new child to every family in your community. You can choose to have a child for your own family or opt out but the other families must have a child. (Manage Worlds -> Household Management -> Edit sims in CAS).

-The community appreciates everything you have been doing to help them out so far. They have saved up a small fund for you to show their appreciation. Add 200 simoleons for every lot you have built in your world (residential including your lot and community).

-Your current heir has come down with Simfluenza. Spend the day napping, eating, and using the toilet. No skill building or money earning today! All meals must be made by your helper (if you have one), leftovers, or quick meals.
Test Subject
#64 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 4:58 PM
Question. Do we have to demolish the whole sim world, or just the place we play in? (Ex. Willow Creek)
Test Subject
#65 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 6:11 PM
Love your challenge, thanks a lot for posting!
I'm starting mine today with a couple very much like @wingit's I did also start a tumblr on the side to document the progress of my colony, which directly leads to my question: would you mind if I posted a slightly adjusted version of your rules there? I made a reminder post to myself, with proper credit and such, but I'm keeping the blog as private (password protected) until I have a green light for making it available publicly.
Thanks for the idea again, x.
Test Subject
#66 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 3:42 AM
I've started up my challenge for this My couple is Dean and Castiel from Supernatural (Made Cas into a girl :P). Time settings present day, but basically the croatoan(Spelling?) virus has wipped out almost all of humanity. They're little house is all set up and Cas has a bun in the oven . It's pretty fun so far and I might post some pictures later.

P.S: Sorry for the spelling mistakes.
Test Subject
#67 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RemusBlack
I've started up my challenge for this My couple is Dean and Castiel from Supernatural (Made Cas into a girl :P). Time settings present day, but basically the croatoan(Spelling?) virus has wipped out almost all of humanity.

Omg, that's a great idea for an Apocalypse challenge! Would you share some pictures of your Dean and Cas? I'm really curious of how they turned out to look like in Sims.
Test Subject
#68 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thenewblack
Omg, that's a great idea for an Apocalypse challenge! Would you share some pictures of your Dean and Cas? I'm really curious of how they turned out to look like in Sims.

I made a bunch of the supernatural cast and they're up on the gallery. I haven't upload the reverse gender versions though
Test Subject
#69 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 6:30 PM
I made a bunch of the supernatural cast and they're up on the gallery. I haven't upload the reverse gender versions though

Edit: but yeah I can upload a photo. I'll put it up on my tumblr. It's, mysimslife101
Test Subject
#70 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 10:38 PM
Edit: but yeah I can upload a photo. I'll put it up on my tumblr. It's, mysimslife101

Also my sims 4 username is clar1275
Test Subject
#71 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 11:37 AM

Saw them now, they're really lovely
Test Subject
#72 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thenewblack
Saw them now, they're really lovely

Thank you.
Test Subject
#73 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 9:34 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm about to start this challenge, it looks fantastic I was unclear about where do the excess children go when they move out as young adults. Do they settle as a new family? Do they go as unplayed households?
thanks in advance
Test Subject
#74 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
Hi! I´m just a player, so my answers are not official, but I´ll try to help:

I think that´s how it´s supposed to work. I started playing my second generation heir when he was a teen and my current heir almost the moment she jumped out of the crib. She cannot pay bills or tend to the garden, so I make use of the optional Helper-rule. My suggestion is to continue to play your heir, but make the future heir the Helper. After all, a succesful village founder would want their children to be prepared to succeed them and not let them slack around.

I don´t think we may play them, but, yes, the dying out can be a problem. Some of the random events give you the opportunity to add children to families, but not reliably enough to keep the whole town going. That´s why whenever I become eligable to add new sims, I sometimes only a fraction of the rolled amount of sims to create new settlers and the rest to give some of the already existing families children. To unlock school, electricity and so on only the overall number of sims counts, so it shouldn´t matter whether they are new arrivals or colony born sims.

They cannot unlock lots or priviledges at all, otherwise the challenge would be over quickly. I think the Build a City challenge (TS2) takes intom account several played households, but not this one.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply Enki.
It did clarify it a bit for me
Test Subject
#75 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 7:40 AM
Hi there.

I'm playing this legacy right now. I love building lots from the start and that settlers idea is a perfect fit.

However, I cannot understand how are my sims supposed to pay bills when there is not even one community building. I mean, who are these mysterious people collecting bills. Shouldn't we ignore bills until a decent governmental body is present in the community? Let's say, after 3 community lots one of which is a school.

Looking for your reply.
Page 3 of 6