Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Notegain : 6th Jan 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Default Sim 4 Bones for Milkshape (Read "How to Use")
How to use:
IMPORTANT
Don't import meshes which were exported from the game onto these bones using Qmesh Sims 3 GEOM importer. Mesh vertices will be assigned to different bones!!
Instead use these for creating new bone assignments and export them with Qmesh Sims 3 GEOM exporter.

There are 2 versions:
S4BonesforMilkshapeAll > (Only for reference) Contains all bones that exist in a S4 sim, but doesn't work with Unimesh Bone Tools, so you have to go to joints tab and assign vertices by hand. Only 1 bone for a vertex. Not recommended
S4BonesforMilkshapeBonetools > Doesn't contain unused bones and works with Unimesh Bone Tools. Recommended.

I tested these in game with some meshes and still testing, if anything goes wrong please report back.

Here is some explanation:
Please read fully, this explains why sims 3 bones don't work for sims 4 first, then how to use this bones.

For example you have an eyelashes model, upper eyelashes and lower eyelashes for both left and right. They will be opening and closing with eyelids, so for a basic assignment, you need to assign their vertices to left and right upper and lower lids.

1.Clone a package with TS4 CAS/Mesh Tools or Sims 4 Studio (this already uses blender to edit accessory and hair meshes so it's optional to use milkshape with it)
2.Export its mesh with TS4 CAS/Mesh Tools,
3.Import the mesh into milkshape using Qmesh Sims 3 GEOM importer .
4.Delete the accessory mesh
Now you have Sims 3 bones to assign your eyelashes. (of course you may save sims 3 bones in milkshape format and use it instead of going through first 4 steps)
5.Import eyelashes to milkshape onto the sims 3 bones.
6.Assign its vertices to b__LeftUpLid__ , b__LeftLoLid__ , b__RightUpLid__and b__RightLoLid__ using either joints tab in milkshape (1 bone at a time) or Unimesh bone tools

When you import this into game you will not see any eyelashes because there are no b__LeftUpLid__ , b__LeftLoLid__ , b__RightUpLid__and b__RightLoLid__ bones in sims 4. Instead there are b__R_LoLid__, b__R_UpLid__, b__L_LoLid__ and b__L_UpLid__bones.

What needs to be done is:
Skip the first 4 steps and open this bones in Milkshape,
1. Import eyelashes to milkshape onto these bones.
2. Assign mesh vertices to b__R_LoLid__, b__R_UpLid__, b__L_LoLid__ and b__L_UpLid__bones.

Now you will see eyelashes work in game. (Important: You still need to copy paste the comments section from the original mesh and of course import the mesh into the game, i recommend to read the above tools instructions and MTS tutorials sections)

Update > S4BonesforMilkshapeBonetools_r2 is probably working for facial assignments since bone names are different, I'm leaving the old one attached until i test more.

Update>06/01/2015>Simplified version with proper hierarchy, without any rotations or additional info, looks nice and understandable in hex editors. Other than that, it's exactly the same with the r2 version.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  S4BonesforMilkshapeAll.rar (4.4 KB, 910 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  S4BonesforMilkshapeBonetools_r2.rar (31.7 KB, 522 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  S4BonesforMilkshapeBonetools_Simplified_r2.rar (2.5 KB, 426 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 1:26 PM
Moving this to our newly renamed "Resources and Misc" subforum, since it is not a tutorial.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
#3 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 10:36 PM
Is there a tutorial, or something similar, on how to use these exactly?
Thank you for posting them up in the first place

...Titanium white...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 7:00 AM Last edited by Notegain : 18th Nov 2014 at 1:31 PM.
Moved up to the first post.
Test Subject
#5 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 5:42 PM
Wonderful work. Thank you so much !
I meshed in TS2 but nothing in TS3 so I am very rusty.
I cant use blender. I am too busy to learn a new program.
I am so much more comfortable in Milkshape.
This is so helpful!
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:42 PM
You're the best!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:50 PM Last edited by Notegain : 18th Nov 2014 at 1:38 PM.
Here is another way to use them as reference:

Open the original mesh that contains Sims 3 bones which doesn't exist in Sims 4 (for example, b_L_breast, b_R_breast, b_HeadNew_) in milkshape, and change the bone names to Sims 4 bone names for example, b_L_breast becomes b_CAS_L_breast, b_R_breast becomes b_CAS_R_breast, b_HeadNew_ becomes b_Head_
Go to the joints tab and double click on the bone, enter the new name for it and press rename.

and one from Esmeralda for blender:
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
I needed to know them (bone names) for my latest upload here, the glass wings. I cloned them as glasses, but obviously I couldn't assign them to b__CAS_Glasses__ as Blender gives you by default. I needed to assign them to the correct joints as in my TS3 version, which were Spine1, Spine2 and the two Clavicles. Your rig supplied me with the TS4 names for those, which are different from the TS3 names. I fed those into Blender and my mesh came out assigned correctly in game and all working properly just like the TS3 version.
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 2:40 AM
I really have to assign each bone at vertices manually?

Are there some tool that do it automatically? Or any file that has been done?
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 4:38 PM
I wonder what bone I can use to the hair move with the breast
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 1:23 PM Last edited by Notegain : 24th Nov 2014 at 4:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by e.arth
I really have to assign each bone at vertices manually?

Are there some tool that do it automatically? Or any file that has been done?

Try CASTools (latest version), you can use Auto Conversion tab to get bone assignments from a reference mesh and copy them to your own mesh.

1.Use the Mesh Cloner tab clone a TS4 mesh that's similar in shape to the one you're converting
2.Use the Package Mesh Import/Export tab to export the Lod 0 mesh from it in S4 format.
3.Go to the Auto Conversion tab.
4.Select your own S3 format mesh in the "S3 or OBJ mesh" slot.
5.Select the TS4 mesh you exported in step 2 above in the "S4 Reference Mesh" tab. (You can leave the settings alone usually.)
6.Press go!

This converts your S3 mesh to S4 and copies bone assignments from the S4 mesh you used as a reference.

Quote: Originally posted by FoFuxx
I wonder what bone I can use to the hair move with the breast

Did you try assigning the vertices which needs to move with the breast to b__CAS_L_Breast__ and b__CAS_R_Breast__ bones?
This should make it "move" with the breast.
But if you want it to "morph" with breasts (bigger, smaller etc.) you should copy "vertex colors" from another mesh that morphs with breasts (using the method i described above, but only checking vertex colors in the settings if your bone assignments are done already, if you don't have any bone assignments check bones too) or use blender to paint them. Edit: I tried this but it doesn't seem to have any effect on body morphs, or i couldn't see any. I will need to look into this to say something for sure. But assigning hair lo left and right breasts makes the hair morph with them.
Here is a mini tutorial, at the end it explains a little bit about vertex colors.
Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 6:15 PM
Thank you
Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Notegain
Try CASTools (latest version), you can use Auto Conversion tab to get bone assignments from a reference mesh and copy them to your own mesh.

1.Use the Mesh Cloner tab clone a TS4 mesh that's similar in shape to the one you're converting
2.Use the Package Mesh Import/Export tab to export the Lod 0 mesh from it in S4 format.
3.Go to the Auto Conversion tab.
4.Select your own S3 format mesh in the "S3 or OBJ mesh" slot.
5.Select the TS4 mesh you exported in step 2 above in the "S4 Reference Mesh" tab. (You can leave the settings alone usually.)
6.Press go!

This converts your S3 mesh to S4 and copies bone assignments from the S4 mesh you used as a reference.

Thank you.

I exported Sim mesh using Sims 4 Studio and all bones were assigned.

But what I really need is create images of these S4 Sims using rendering software like Blender or 3DS Max. At moment I don't care if I can't import my animation to the game.

So, I need to import TS4 animation (CLIP) to these software. Do you know a plugin to do it?

I tried to use TS3 animation but the Sim mesh was deformed. Do you think I could get TS4 mesh with TS3 bone assignments?
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 7:05 AM
I've been trying to edit the pencil skirt mesh just to make it longer and once I get it in game the legs clip through the back of it.
I'm a newbie to meshing and I was wondering if the reason I've got that clipping is because I don't have proper bone assignments...?
I tried frankenmeshing my new mesh with the maxi skirt one (same length, so I thought it might work) and I get an "out of bounds" error.

Any guidance would really be appreciated
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Dec 2014 at 10:24 AM
It would be very problematic and painful to use these bones for body vertex assignments. I suggest you to use sims 4 studio and blender as a workaround for that problem after you completed editing meshes for every lod and imported them to your package. Just click my projects and select your package. Export your meshes to blender, open them in blender and use weight painting or auto bone assignment for correcting the bone assignments. I don't use blender for meshing so i don't know much about it but here is a wiki page about vertex painting: Weight painting for bones, about auto assignments, i know there is such a function in blender but i never used it so i can't help you with that, but i know that weight painting works nicely.

Now that i thought about it some more, if you only took the vertices at the bottom they may not animate properly since there are no vertices at the knees. Make sure there are a line of vertices at the knees which can make the transition from upper leg bones to lower leg bones and use weight painting (or auto assignment) in blender.
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 2:57 PM
Can I bone children morphs with those?
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 11:48 AM
Wow! Thank you verryy much :3
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 5:12 PM
I apologize for bumping this, but it seemed appropriate... how do I find whats the "GUID" for each bone? is there a list out there with this info?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found what I was looking for, leaving the link for reference:
http://modthesims.info/t/556696